Ezi-snoop

Tommy

Jan 4, 2009, 6:49:30 PM1/4/09

http://www.softlookup.com/display.asp?id=157669

While looking for a snooper I came across this page
http://www.softlookup.com/

A heap of interesting stuff under one roof as itw were - careful, one or
two are ahhm 'hacks'

Cheers
Tommy

John Corliss

Jan 5, 2009, 5:29:09 AM1/5/09

It's what I call a "crapware" site. Here are some others, which I filter
out from Google results by using the CustomizeGoogle extension for
Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/743). Here are
some others, copied from that extension's filter list:

http://*freedownloadscenter.com/*
http://*softplatz.com/*
http://*dirfile.com/*
http://*.brothersoft.com/*
http://brothersoft.com/*
http://*.soft32.com/*
http://soft32.com/*
http://*.qarchive.org/*
http://qarchive.org/*
http://*.fileflash.com/*
http://fileflash.com/*
http://*.shareme.com/*
http://shareme.com/*
http://*.downloadjunction.com/*
http://downloadjunction.com/*
http://*.filetransit.com/*
http://filetransit.com/*
http://*.free-downloads.net/*
http://free-downloads.net/*
http://*.downloadsoftware4free.com/*
http://downloadsoftware4free.com/*
http://*.supershareware.com/*
http://supershareware.com/*
http://*.free-downloads.net/*
http://free-downloads.net/*
http://*.freedownloadmanager.org/*
http://freedownloadmanager.org/*
http://*.download3000.com/*
http://download3000.com/*
http://*.freesoft411.com/*
http://freesoft411.com/*
http://*.soft411.com/*
http://soft411.com/*
http://*.filedudes.com/*
http://filedudes.com/*
http://*.bluechillies.com/*
http://bluechillies.com/*
http://*.download5000.com/*
http://download5000.com/*
http://*.giveawayoftheday.com/*
http://giveawayoftheday.com/*
http://*.downloadthat.com/*
http://downloadthat.com/*
http://*.experts-exchange.com/*
http://experts-exchange.com/*
http://*.3d2f.com/*
http://3d2f.com/*
http://*.exefind.com/*
http://exefind.com/*
http://*.afterdawn.com/*
http://afterdawn.com/*
http://*topdownloads.net*
http://*freeware1.com*
http://*softwaregeek.com*
http://*10001downloads.com*
http://*freewarepark.com*
http://*finaldownload.com*

IMO, most of these sites list far too much shareware mixed in with
questionable freeware programs. Of course, there are other reasons for a
website winding up on this list too.

Using this list helps me speed up searches for specific types of freeware.

--
John Corliss BS206. I use nFilter to block all Google Groups posts
because of Googlespam. No ad, cd, commercial, cripple, demo, dotnet,

Tommy

Jan 5, 2009, 4:30:23 PM1/5/09
"John Corliss" @yahoo...
> -INDIVIDUALNET- Tommy wrote:

>> http://www.softlookup.com/display.asp?id=157669
>>
>> While looking for a snooper I came across this page
>> http://www.softlookup.com/

>> A heap of interesting stuff under one roof as itw were - careful, one
>> or two are ahhm 'hacks'

> It's what I call a "crapware" site. Here are some others, which I
> filter out from Google results by using the CustomizeGoogle extension
> for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/743). Here
> are some others, copied from that extension's filter list:

Thank you John for sharing your extensive opinion with me/us.

I would remind you though before you get carried away, that some if not
most sites host 'crapware' according to the 'opinion' of the person
doing the 'appraisal'....

Again - no offense and none taken :)
Cheers
Tommy

However, I did segue that there were ahhm ^ 'hacks' ^present

> IMO, most of these sites list far too much shareware mixed in with
> questionable freeware programs. Of course, there are other reasons for
> a website winding up on this list too.

>> John Corliss BS206. I

Richard Steinfeld

Jan 6, 2009, 12:25:47 AM1/6/09
John Corliss wrote:
> -INDIVIDUALNET- Tommy wrote:
>>

>> http://www.softlookup.com/display.asp?id=157669
>>
>> While looking for a snooper I came across this page
>> http://www.softlookup.com/
>
> It's what I call a "crapware" site.

Maybe not "crapware," but too difficult to plow through looking for our
interest: freeware. There's a lot of "free download" material, which
means trialware (then you pay to continue). I've got nothing against
this practice, but it would be kinder if the vendor and the aggregation
site would make this clear up front. These guys do not.

Richard

John Corliss

Jan 6, 2009, 7:25:55 AM1/6/09
Tommy wrote:

> John Corliss wrote:
>> Tommy wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.softlookup.com/display.asp?id=157669
>>>
>>> While looking for a snooper I came across this page
>>> http://www.softlookup.com/
>>>
>>> A heap of interesting stuff under one roof as itw were - careful, one
>>> or two are ahhm 'hacks'
>>
>> It's what I call a "crapware" site. Here are some others, which I
>> filter out from Google results by using the CustomizeGoogle extension
>> for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/743). Here
>> are some others, copied from that extension's filter list:
>
> Thank you John for sharing your extensive opinion with me/us.

Not sure what you mean by that. It was an extensive list that I shared.
All of those sites mix in what I call crapware (trialware, demos, etc.)
with freeware. Some of them are also often not very careful about making
sure that the software they recommend doesn't contain malware IMEE.

> I would remind you though before you get carried away, that some if not
> most sites host 'crapware' according to the 'opinion' of the person
> doing the 'appraisal'....
>
> Again - no offense and none taken :)

> However, I did segue that there were ahhm ^ 'hacks' ^present

Of course, I never said that you didn't, although I'm not quite sure
what you meant by 'hacks'. Maybe "warez"? I wish you had been a little
more specific.

>> IMO, most of these sites list far too much shareware mixed in with
>> questionable freeware programs. Of course, there are other reasons for
>> a website winding up on this list too.

John Corliss

Jan 6, 2009, 7:34:43 AM1/6/09

I wrote:

> It's what I call a "crapware" site.

Please note the "what I call" part. I call demoware, trialware,
crippleware, nagware, spyware, etc. collectively "crapware". YMMV.

To me, it's easier to simply refer to such sites as "crapware" sites
rather than something euphemistic like "non-freeware-mixed-in sites".

Also, and IMO, there seems to be something fishy about them all. In
other words, they "SMELL" to me. I don't trust them enough to actually
use them. Quite often they're duplicitous in that they use metatags to
insert themselves in your hit list, even though they don't have anything
to offer that fits the category your looking for. I *DO* have something
against that practice. It's deceitful and wastes my time.

I will continue to refer to them as "crapware" sites though Richard, you
can call them nothing or whatever you like. To me though, they stick out
like a hammer-hit thumb and I detest them.