USB Drives have a short life

Bear Bottoms

Jan 8, 2009, 6:12:02 PM1/8/09
In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over the last
year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or something like that,
and the other three (most recent) were SanDisks. It's got me paranoid of
them and I keep two of everything. Kinda a hassel and dissappointing.

I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives getting
smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm considering.....

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website: http://bearware.info

NotSoCurrent

Jan 8, 2009, 8:03:44 PM1/8/09
Maybe you busted the spell checker on them.
"Bear Bottoms" <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote in message

hummingbird

Jan 8, 2009, 8:10:06 PM1/8/09

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:12:02 +0000 (UTC) 'Bear Bottoms'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over the last
>year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or something like that,
>and the other three (most recent) were SanDisks. It's got me paranoid of
>them and I keep two of everything. Kinda a hassel and dissappointing.
>
>I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives getting
>smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm considering.....

Flash sticks are known to have a shorter life than some other
forms of storage, but most reports I've read give them 1-2 yrs
of normal usage. Longevity is improving all the time. One thing
to avoid is defragging them, they don't need it and it shortens
their life.

--
"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,

Bear Bottoms

Jan 8, 2009, 8:13:51 PM1/8/09
hummingbird <hummi...@127.0.0.1> wrote in

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:12:02 +0000 (UTC) 'Bear Bottoms'
> wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>
>>In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over the
>>last year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or something
>>like that, and the other three (most recent) were SanDisks. It's got
>>me paranoid of them and I keep two of everything. Kinda a hassel and
>>dissappointing.
>>
>>I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives
>>getting smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm
>>considering.....
>
> Flash sticks are known to have a shorter life than some other
> forms of storage, but most reports I've read give them 1-2 yrs
> of normal usage. Longevity is improving all the time. One thing
> to avoid is defragging them, they don't need it and it shortens
> their life.

Well, I use them a lot and the one that failed today has been plugged in
24/7 for quite a while...it was the backup to another. The SanDisks
(after removing U3) last a good while, but less than a year at 24/7.
Other brands have not faired so well.

Message has been deleted

hummingbird

Jan 8, 2009, 8:44:40 PM1/8/09

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 01:13:51 +0000 (UTC) 'Bear Bottoms'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>hummingbird <hummi...@127.0.0.1> wrote in
>

>> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:12:02 +0000 (UTC) 'Bear Bottoms'
>> wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>>
>>>In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over the
>>>last year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or something
>>>like that, and the other three (most recent) were SanDisks. It's got
>>>me paranoid of them and I keep two of everything. Kinda a hassel and
>>>dissappointing.
>>>
>>>I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives
>>>getting smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm
>>>considering.....
>>
>> Flash sticks are known to have a shorter life than some other
>> forms of storage, but most reports I've read give them 1-2 yrs
>> of normal usage. Longevity is improving all the time. One thing
>> to avoid is defragging them, they don't need it and it shortens
>> their life.
>>
>Well, I use them a lot and the one that failed today has been plugged in
>24/7 for quite a while...it was the backup to another. The SanDisks
>(after removing U3) last a good while, but less than a year at 24/7.
>Other brands have not faired so well.

Apparently the thing that wears them out is reading/writing.

Can you get Dane Elec brand over your way? They're w/o U3.
Mine are all this brand and are fast and so far no problems,
although I haven't had them for 12 months yet.

»Q«

Jan 8, 2009, 9:27:54 PM1/8/09
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:12:02 +0000 (UTC)
Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote:

> I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives
> getting smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm
> considering.....

HDDs with more power?

Bear Bottoms

Jan 8, 2009, 10:08:11 PM1/8/09
=?UTF-8?B?wrtRwqs=?= <box...@gmx.net> wrote in

Yeah, the good ones that work out all the time can lift over 300lbs.

I've never seen a memory stick lift more than 20lbs.

You've reduced yourself to a silly stalker? Grow up dude.

Lord Possum

Jan 8, 2009, 10:12:18 PM1/8/09
I have thumbdrives, of course, but my favorite thingie toy is my
shirt pocket SOYO 40GM USB drive. 4 x 2.5 x .35 inch. Bootable
into either Real DOS or Win98SE [Fat32 w/USB drivers]. I chose
Win98se as a workable OS using only 1/4 of a lite WinXP install.

BTW .. 1.8 inch drives are finding their ways into the new mini
NoteBooks cropping up. Waaaaay better than any flash drive.

Lord Possum

»Q«

Jan 8, 2009, 10:37:25 PM1/8/09
On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:12:18 -0500
Lord Possum <Lord....@Yahoo.Com> wrote:

> I have thumbdrives, of course, but my favorite thingie toy is my
> shirt pocket SOYO 40GM USB drive. 4 x 2.5 x .35 inch. Bootable
> into either Real DOS or Win98SE [Fat32 w/USB drivers]. I chose
> Win98se as a workable OS using only 1/4 of a lite WinXP install.
>
> BTW .. 1.8 inch drives are finding their ways into the new mini
> NoteBooks cropping up. Waaaaay better than any flash drive.

A little bigger than that, I like the WD Passports, roughly
5 x 3 x .6 inches. I see they make a 500 GB one now, but my biggest
one is 160. Believe it or not, I've never had a flash drive, though my
bank tried to give me one for free.

»Q«

Jan 8, 2009, 10:39:31 PM1/8/09
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 03:08:11 +0000 (UTC)
Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote:

> =?UTF-8?B?wrtRwqs=?= <box...@gmx.net> wrote in
>
> > On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:12:02 +0000 (UTC)
> > Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives
> >> getting smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm
> >> considering.....
> >
> > HDDs with more power?
>
> Yeah, the good ones that work out all the time can lift over 300lbs.
>
> I've never seen a memory stick lift more than 20lbs.
>
> You've reduced yourself to a silly stalker? Grow up dude.

Not stalking, I seriously wondered WTF you meant by that. I take the
drivel you just posted in to mean you have no idea WTF you meant.
I'm used to you using words without knowing what they mean, but it
honestly didn't occur to me that that would extend to "power".

But thanks for turning it into one of your name-calling threads.

WhiteTea

Jan 8, 2009, 10:48:56 PM1/8/09

I have good luck with a 512MB Cruzer. Had it 2 -3 years now.

I saw some $5 2 GB Kingston Thumbdrives at Walmart 2 days ago.

I think I will pass on picking up a few based on what you said. :-)
You get what you pay for.

Andy

Why Tea

Jan 8, 2009, 10:49:27 PM1/8/09
On Jan 9, 10:12 am, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:
> In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over the last
> year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or something like that,
> and the other three (most recent) were SanDisks. It's got me paranoid of
> them and I keep two of everything. Kinda a hassel and dissappointing.
>
> I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives getting
> smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm considering.....

Since you run it 24/7, you probably will kill it in a year
or more. Like everything else, the USB sticks have a
limited life span which is about 10,000 to 100,000 or
more read/write/erase cycles. If you have an application
that reads and writes frequently 24/7, your stick might
just die of old age. Another factor is the file format
(FAT32 by default, but you can format it to NTFS), you'll
likely get shorter life span with NTFS as it requires more
read/write access to the stick.

USB sticks aren't really designed to be used 24/7. You
should really use an external HD for that.

I have used Imation, PNY/Attache and SanDisk without
having any problems. But in a read/write test, SanDisk
came out the slowest. I also noticed that SanDisk
consistently failed the Vista for ReadyBoost test.

WhiteTea

Jan 8, 2009, 10:50:52 PM1/8/09

Not as portable as one you can carry on your keyring and not as big a
loss if you fell into some water.

Andy

Why Tea

Jan 8, 2009, 11:21:10 PM1/8/09

True. But you can't carry it on your keyring if you
are going to use it 24/7 like BB does. Since you
can't carry it with you, it won't fall into the water
with you :)

Bear Bottoms

Jan 8, 2009, 11:53:49 PM1/8/09
Why Tea <ytl...@gmail.com> wrote in

I'm going to change my tactics, as initially I wasn't using portable as
much as I have evolved into now. I'm thinking about an eSATA Seagate
external. They are small enough to carry around now, but not in your
pocket.

Memory sticks will be reserved for those occassions I am caught without
my other equipment which is not that often, but often enough. I do move
to several locations a lot, and use different computers, but I can take
an external with me and plug that up to those computers.

Most of the programs I use are portable, though at home I have them on my
computers hard drive in their own folder which I sync to the memory
sticks so they will always be ready with the latest updates. That will
have to change a bit, as I am wearing them out too fast.

What happens is they just won't be recgonized through the USB port all of
a sudden. No warning at all. My last failure was a SanDisk and the light
on it would just flash on and off about every second when I plugged it
in, which was a first. The other ones wouldn't light up at all.

Bear Bottoms

Jan 8, 2009, 11:55:23 PM1/8/09
=?UTF-8?B?wrtRwqs=?= <box...@gmx.net> wrote in

So you don't think an external hard drive has more power than a memory
stick! Awesome. You are just trolling stalker.

§

Jan 9, 2009, 12:10:25 AM1/9/09

I got a few of the Microcenter 2GB drives for 10 bones apiece. Use them
daily and never had one fail yet.

When it comes to usb flash drives I suspect static electricity is the
main culprit to failing.

Ari®

Jan 9, 2009, 12:11:50 AM1/9/09
On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 01:44:40 +0000, hummingbird wrote:

> Apparently the thing that wears them out is reading/writing.

Naw, it's the....wtf else do they do, you Moron?
--
Meet Ari! http://tr.im/1fa3
"To get concrete results, you have to be confrontational".

Ari®

Jan 9, 2009, 12:13:18 AM1/9/09
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 04:53:49 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

> I'm going to change my tactics, as initially I wasn't using portable as
> much as I have evolved into now. I'm thinking about an eSATA Seagate
> external. They are small enough to carry around now, but not in your
> pocket.

Get you hand out, you'll have room.

Poutnik

Jan 9, 2009, 12:18:09 AM1/9/09
In article <Xns9B8DAED97314be...@85.214.105.209>,
bearbo...@gmai.com says...>
> In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over the last
> year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or something like that,
> and the other three (most recent) were SanDisks. It's got me paranoid of
> them and I keep two of everything. Kinda a hassel and dissappointing.
>
> I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives getting
> smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm considering.....

Such damage frequency is highly inprobable,
even considering avg flash memory life.

Things often are not like they seems to be.
Did you consider you USB interface is damaged,
eating your sticks for a lunch ?

--
Poutnik

Thomas Stevens

Jan 9, 2009, 12:51:24 AM1/9/09

Thomas Stevens

Jan 9, 2009, 12:56:22 AM1/9/09

Richard Steinfeld

Jan 9, 2009, 2:37:34 AM1/9/09
Look at the simple things first.

Do you have dirty cable connections? Dirty or bent USB connections on
the thumb drives? Bad cables? Have you tried using electronic cleaning
liquids/sprays?

Try a lot of substitutions. Reformat the thumb drives, etc. Can one
re-initialize these things?

Richard

Franklin

Jan 9, 2009, 5:43:35 AM1/9/09
On Fri 09Jan 05:56, Thomas Stevens <tste...@nospam.nat> wrote

Must be time to send abuse reports to Plusnet and Giganews.

===========================

Plusnet info from website http://www.plus.net/:

<http://www.plus.net/support/security/abuse/reporting_abuse.shtml>

"Reporting Email Abuse and Spamming: In order to investigate
your report we must have the FULL headers of the spam email.
... Send header information as plain text, in the body of
your email, rather than as an attachment."

===========================

Giganews info from a recent post in ACF:

(a) The number of "Thomas Stevens" messages is
like SPORGE and to make posters unreadable.

(b) The "Thomas Stevens" messages are SPAMMING
because they repeatedly post same substantially
identical message.

Posts are made through Giganews. The AUP is
http://www.giganews.com/legal/aup.html.

"posting the same thing repeatedly in one or more
newsgroups will usually be considered spam, regard-
less of the content.

... Giganews is very strict about spamming. You agree
to not spam, and you agree to avoid any form of
posting that may look like spam. If it is determined
that you have posted spam through the Giganews servers,
you will be charged a $50 cleanup fee per spam message
that you posted, and your account will be terminated.

We cannot address incidents of spam or other abuse
unless it was posted through the Giganews servers.
We will need full article headers in order to
investigate any report of abuse originating on our
servers."

... email ab...@giganews.com and include a set
of "Thomas Stevens" headers. Say messages are
substantially identical and constitute spam and are
posted to cause harassment.

===========================

Jo Kerr

Jan 9, 2009, 5:48:52 AM1/9/09
hummingbird a formulé ce vendredi :

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:12:02 +0000 (UTC) 'Bear Bottoms'
> wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>
>> In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over the last
>> year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or something like that,
>> and the other three (most recent) were SanDisks. It's got me paranoid of
>> them and I keep two of everything. Kinda a hassel and dissappointing.
>>
>> I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives getting
>> smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm considering.....
>
> Flash sticks are known to have a shorter life than some other
> forms of storage, but most reports I've read give them 1-2 yrs
> of normal usage. Longevity is improving all the time. One thing
> to avoid is defragging them, they don't need it and it shortens
> their life.

The USB sticks seemed to have more mechanical problems. Often removed
and reinserted, and they die. On the other hand I have a stick serving
as additional memory and swap on a satellite receiver since 5 years
without problem (it's an old 128MB stick).

--
In gold we trust (c)

hummingbird

Jan 9, 2009, 6:49:30 AM1/9/09

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 00:11:50 -0500 'Ari®'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 01:44:40 +0000, hummingbird wrote:
>
>> Apparently the thing that wears them out is reading/writing.
>
>Naw, it's the....wtf else do they do, you Moron?

You're an idiot Frank J. Camper/Ari Silverslime/Ari/aracARI/Ari®
et al.

The purpose of my previous comment was to point out that it
isn't having a flash stick plugged in 24x7 that causes wear, it's
the reading/writing cycle process. That's different to an external
HDD which is running all the time it's plugged in, and therefore
subject to wear.

Anybody who had not spent their miserable life running a
mercenary/terror, er sorry, glorified paintball training camp
or spent <9 years in the slammer for blowing up womens' cars
in California *might* have known that.

Now, run along and find something useful to do...try playing
with some redneck, neo-nazi thug squads.

-over and out-

hummingbird

Jan 9, 2009, 6:51:26 AM1/9/09

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 11:48:52 +0100 'Jo Kerr'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

I'm not aware that flash sticks have any mechanical parts.
They have much in common with CMOS chips...

Franklin

Jan 9, 2009, 7:36:08 AM1/9/09
On Thu 08Jan 23:12, Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote

> In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over
> the last year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or
> something like that, and the other three (most recent) were
> SanDisks. It's got me paranoid of them and I keep two of
> everything. Kinda a hassel and dissappointing.
>
> I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard
> drives getting smaller and smaller with more speed and power,
> I'm considering.....

Three at once is too improbable to be erase/rewrite wear. (Altho
heavily used blocks (eg index) can sometimes be remapped.

More likely to be a handling problem common to all 3: static,
humidity, liquids, etc.

Even more likely to be voltage related: reverse insertion, cross-
linked contacts, system voltage spikes, etc.

External HDD probably more prone to bad handling and bad power.

Why Tea

Jan 9, 2009, 7:49:49 AM1/9/09
On Jan 9, 3:53 pm, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:

It's about using the right tool for the right job.

Message has been deleted

John Corliss

Jan 9, 2009, 9:03:36 AM1/9/09

Another thing that's probably a bad idea is to carry them around with
you when you don't need to. If I don't absolutely need one to transport
some files, I leave it at home. IMO, carrying one around puts it at risk
of exposure to factors that can shorten its life.

--
John Corliss BS206. I use nFilter to block all Google Groups posts
because of Googlespam. No ad, cd, commercial, cripple, demo, dotnet,

Bear Bottoms

Jan 9, 2009, 9:24:20 AM1/9/09
=?UTF-8?B?wrtRwqs=?= <box...@gmx.net> wrote in

> But thanks for turning it into one of your name-calling threads.

As if your purpose in stalking me is friendly.

Bear Bottoms

Jan 9, 2009, 9:26:51 AM1/9/09

> On Jan 9, 2:50 pm, WhiteTea <WhiteTea77...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > =======================

> ============================> > I have thumbdrives, of course, but my

> favorite thingie toy is my
>> > shirt pocket SOYO 40GM USB drive. 4 x 2.5 x .35 inch.  Bootable
>> > into either Real DOS or Win98SE [Fat32 w/USB drivers].  I chose
>> > Win98se as a workable OS using only 1/4 of a lite WinXP install.
>>
>> > BTW .. 1.8 inch drives are finding their ways into the new mini
>> > NoteBooks cropping up.  Waaaaay better than any flash drive.
>>
>> > Lord Possum
>>
>> Not as portable as one you can carry on your keyring and not as big a
>> loss if you fell into some water.
>
> True. But you can't carry it on your keyring if you
> are going to use it 24/7 like BB does. Since you
> can't carry it with you, it won't fall into the water
> with you :)

Remember, I said I had two of each instance. One stays in 24/7, the other
goes with me. I like this idea...better than packing a 1TB external.

Bear Bottoms

Jan 9, 2009, 9:30:03 AM1/9/09
Richard Steinfeld <rgsteinBUT...@sonicANDTHISTOO.net> wrote in

No, these things are not the issue. I have one that has outlasted all of
them. The computer is a relatively new notebook, and clean as a whistle
with no damage, as far as I can tell.

Bear Bottoms

Jan 9, 2009, 9:38:17 AM1/9/09
Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote in

One pair were identical SanDisk sticks. The one that quick working was
the one that was plugged in 24/7. I would sync my portable folder to that
one daily, and sync to the other one (just before I left) when I took it
with me. For a while on the 24/7 one, I worked from it until I got tired
of the slower speed access and copied the folder to my hard drive and
started working from it. So that one got a lot, and I mean a lot of
use...at least close to a year...maybe a bit longer but not by much.

-^..^-

Jan 9, 2009, 9:59:43 AM1/9/09
I used to exchanged this USB thumbdrive twice until I realised maybe I've
placed it together with my cellphone.

The third one works fine even until today!

"Bear Bottoms" <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote in message

In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over the last
year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or something like that,
and the other three (most recent) were SanDisks. It's got me paranoid of
them and I keep two of everything. Kinda a hassel and dissappointing.

I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives getting

smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm considering.....

hummingbird

Jan 9, 2009, 10:53:49 AM1/9/09

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 06:03:36 -0800 'John Corliss'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

EG ?

Jo Kerr

Jan 9, 2009, 12:56:28 PM1/9/09
hummingbird a couché sur son écran :

> On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 11:48:52 +0100 'Jo Kerr'
> wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>
>> hummingbird a formulé ce vendredi :

>>> Flash sticks are known to have a shorter life than some other
>>> forms of storage, but most reports I've read give them 1-2 yrs
>>> of normal usage. Longevity is improving all the time. One thing
>>> to avoid is defragging them, they don't need it and it shortens
>>> their life.
>
>> The USB sticks seemed to have more mechanical problems. Often removed
>> and reinserted, and they die. On the other hand I have a stick serving
>> as additional memory and swap on a satellite receiver since 5 years
>> without problem (it's an old 128MB stick).
>
> I'm not aware that flash sticks have any mechanical parts.
> They have much in common with CMOS chips...

The mechanical part is the USB connector. The printed circuit is also a
kind of mechanical part sensitive to torsion.
I had USB sticks not recognised after a year or so, and inserting it
and bending it, it was shortly detected again. So for me that is a
mechanical problem.
I had never problems with data integrity or data loss.

Ari®

Jan 9, 2009, 1:08:58 PM1/9/09
On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 11:49:30 +0000, hummingbird wrote:

> The purpose of my previous comment was to point out that it
> isn't having a flash stick plugged in 24x7 that causes wear, it's
> the reading/writing cycle process.

Naw, it's the....wtf else do they do, you Moron?

HummingTroll

Jan 9, 2009, 1:10:11 PM1/9/09

wHEN THE TWO OF YOU GET TOGETHER AND CUMM ALL OVER THEM?
--
I do not post from Giganews (unless I hide the posting host name)
I use many posting servers to keep ahead of being detected.

aracARI

Jan 9, 2009, 1:11:33 PM1/9/09
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 14:26:51 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

> Remember, I said I had two of each instance.

Proving you are not a one testicled freak of freeware science..
--
http://tr.im/2a2r

Mister2u

Jan 9, 2009, 1:40:53 PM1/9/09
I finally got my Sandisk working on Winows 98 FE using the drivers
found here
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98fe-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php
I was hoping it would last longer than burnt CDs

WhiteTea

Jan 9, 2009, 2:00:15 PM1/9/09

I have a USB cable going to the front of my Optiplex and the end is
glued to the side of the computer.
I got tired of plugging it into the back and hurting my back. :-)

Nice short reach with little chance of any "mechanical entanglements."

Andy

hummingbird

Jan 9, 2009, 2:26:44 PM1/9/09

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 18:56:28 +0100 'Jo Kerr'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

hhmmm interesting.
We usually define mechanical as something which has moving parts
to perform its job, like the parts of a car engine.

The example you give above appears to have been due to some sort
of failing electrical or component connection.

This may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive

"They [USB flash drives] have a more compact shape, operate
faster, hold much more data, have a more durable design, and
operate more reliably due to their lack of moving parts."

"Nothing actually moves in a flash drive: the term drive persists
because computers read and write flash-drive data using the same
system commands as for a mechanical disk drive, with the storage
appearing to the computer operating system and user interface as
just another drive.[4]"

"A flash drive consists of a small printed circuit board protected
inside a plastic, metal, or rubberised case, robust enough for
carrying with no additional protection—in a pocket or on a key
chain, for example. The USB connector is protected by a removable
cap or by retracting into the body of the drive, although it is
not liable to be damaged if exposed. Most flash drives use a
standard type-A USB connection allowing plugging into a port
on a personal computer."

Franklin

Jan 9, 2009, 3:55:36 PM1/9/09
On Fri 09Jan 19:26, hummingbird <hummi...@127.0.0.1> wrote

So you reckon "mechanical" doesn't apply to a USB stick?

Will you now ask Jo Kerr if a "mechanic" is needed to fix mechanical
problems with USB sticks?

That sort of selective and over-precise interpretation is reminiscent
of your handbook of "How To Use Word Definitions For k00k Arguments".

A USB plug is a mechanical device. A broken USB plug can cause memory
stick failure.

Jo Kerr

Jan 9, 2009, 4:01:13 PM1/9/09
hummingbird a exposé le 09/01/2009 :

> hhmmm interesting.
> We usually define mechanical as something which has moving parts
> to perform its job, like the parts of a car engine.

At leat the USB connector is a moving part. And when the printed bord
has broken connections, that is caused by force (mechanical).

»Q«

Jan 9, 2009, 5:01:52 PM1/9/09
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 04:55:23 +0000 (UTC)
Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote:

> =?UTF-8?B?wrtRwqs=?= <box...@gmx.net> wrote in
>

> > On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 03:08:11 +0000 (UTC)
> > Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote:
> >
> >> =?UTF-8?B?wrtRwqs=?= <box...@gmx.net> wrote in

> >> Yeah, the good ones that work out all the time can lift over
> >> 300lbs.
> >>
> >> I've never seen a memory stick lift more than 20lbs.
> >>
> >> You've reduced yourself to a silly stalker? Grow up dude.
> >
> > Not stalking, I seriously wondered WTF you meant by that. I take
> > the drivel you just posted in to mean you have no idea WTF you
> > meant. I'm used to you using words without knowing what they mean,
> > but it honestly didn't occur to me that that would extend to
> > "power".

> > But thanks for turning it into one of your name-calling threads.
>

> So you don't think an external hard drive has more power than a
> memory stick!

WTF are you talking about?

Bear Bottoms

Jan 9, 2009, 5:51:35 PM1/9/09
=?UTF-8?B?wrtRwqs=?= <box...@gmx.net> wrote in

Bye troll.

Franklin

Jan 10, 2009, 3:08:31 AM1/10/09
On Fri 09Jan 04:55, Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote

> =?UTF-8?B?wrtRwqs=?= <box...@gmx.net> wrote in
>
>> On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 03:08:11 +0000 (UTC)
>> Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote:
>>
>>> =?UTF-8?B?wrtRwqs=?= <box...@gmx.net> wrote in

>>> Yeah, the good ones that work out all the time can lift over
>>> 300lbs.
>>>
>>> I've never seen a memory stick lift more than 20lbs.
>>>
>>> You've reduced yourself to a silly stalker? Grow up dude.
>>
>> Not stalking, I seriously wondered WTF you meant by that. I
>> take the drivel you just posted in to mean you have no idea WTF
>> you meant. I'm used to you using words without knowing what
>> they mean, but it honestly didn't occur to me that that would
>> extend to "power".
>>
>> But thanks for turning it into one of your name-calling
>> threads.
>>
> So you don't think an external hard drive has more power than a

> memory stick! Awesome. You are just trolling stalker.

Mr Bottoms,

A single USB port supports only 0.5 A (at 5 V) which limits it to
powering only small HDDs. An external HDD is likely to have better
protection against power surges.

I've never ever heard anyone who knows basic electrical theory say
a device "has" more power.

Don't pilots know the correct electrical terms any more?

Strange that.

Very unexpected.

How old did you say you were?

Wal

Jan 10, 2009, 4:55:39 AM1/10/09
Bear Bottoms wrote:
> In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over the last
> year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or something like that,
> and the other three (most recent) were SanDisks. It's got me paranoid of
> them and I keep two of everything. Kinda a hassel and dissappointing.
>
> I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives getting
> smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm considering.....

I've had several drives appear to fail when actually it was the flimsy
plug holes in the computer. I keep my flash drive on a keyring, as many
do, but plugged in to the USB port at the side of the computer (short
side up) seems to bugger the connectors over time, if the weight of the
keys doesn't cause it to drop out and partially disconnect anyway.
I'd have to agree that not a lot of thought was put into the USB
connection type, although I've noticed that the new USB 3 connection is
not much better so more of the same in the future.
As for recovery software, I've never successfully recovered anything of
value out of scores of buggered drives. If it don't show up you aint
going to get it back.

hummingbird

Jan 10, 2009, 5:48:42 AM1/10/09

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:55:39 GMT 'Wal'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>Bear Bottoms wrote:
>> In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over the last
>> year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or something like that,
>> and the other three (most recent) were SanDisks. It's got me paranoid of
>> them and I keep two of everything. Kinda a hassel and dissappointing.
>>
>> I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives getting
>> smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm considering.....

>I've had several drives appear to fail when actually it was the flimsy
>plug holes in the computer. I keep my flash drive on a keyring, as many
>do, but plugged in to the USB port at the side of the computer (short
>side up) seems to bugger the connectors over time, if the weight of the
>keys doesn't cause it to drop out and partially disconnect anyway.
>I'd have to agree that not a lot of thought was put into the USB
>connection type, although I've noticed that the new USB 3 connection is
>not much better so more of the same in the future.

It's not so much the "connection type" but the quality of
materials used in manufacture of the USB connector in some cases.
A multiport USB hub doesn't cost that much...

>As for recovery software, I've never successfully recovered anything of
>value out of scores of buggered drives. If it don't show up you aint
>going to get it back.

Bear Bottoms

Jan 10, 2009, 6:52:14 AM1/10/09
Wal <no_r...@noreply.com> wrote in

"If it don't show up you aint going to get it back"...no truer words
spoken! There is middle ground between sticks and externals as Lord
Possum brought to my attention, e.g. SOYO 40Gb USB drive or as »Q« piggy-
backed, WD Passports. They have spinning disks which should be
susceptible to a shorter life, but why are they not? Very Strange-these
failures of non-mechanical memory sticks.

Ari®

Jan 10, 2009, 7:16:44 AM1/10/09
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:52:14 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

> "If it don't show up you aint going to get it back"...no truer words
> spoken! There is middle ground between sticks and externals as Lord
> Possum brought to my attention, e.g. SOYO 40Gb USB drive or as »Q« piggy-
> backed, WD Passports. They have spinning disks which should be
> susceptible to a shorter life, but why are they not?

No they don't you Komplete Moron.

Martin Clark

Jan 10, 2009, 8:58:09 AM1/10/09
Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote in

I fished a Toshiba (branded) 2Gb USB stick out of the toilet the other
day and it still works :-O.

KeithS

Jan 10, 2009, 9:12:18 AM1/10/09
Martin Clark wrote:

> I fished a Toshiba (branded) 2Gb USB stick out of the toilet the other

> day ...

I buy mine in a shop :)

Bear Bottoms

Jan 10, 2009, 9:13:04 AM1/10/09
Martin Clark <trop...@gmail.com> wrote in

Count your blessings :)

Message has been deleted

Craig

Jan 10, 2009, 11:51:09 AM1/10/09

Ah, civilization isn't entirely lost, then.

<g>

-Craig

John Stubbings

Jan 10, 2009, 12:14:11 PM1/10/09
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:58:09 +0000 (UTC), Martin Clark wrote:

> I fished a Toshiba (branded) 2Gb USB stick out of the toilet the other
> day and it still works :-O.

u fish in Khazi :O

--
You gotta fight, for your right, to party...
The best of the best in Freeware

Zaphod

Jan 10, 2009, 5:36:51 PM1/10/09
On Jan 9, 10:12 am, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:
> In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over the last
> year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or something like that,
> and the other three (most recent) were SanDisks. It's got me paranoid of
> them and I keep two of everything. Kinda a hassel and dissappointing.
>
> I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives getting
> smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm considering.....
>
> --
> Bear Bottoms
> Freeware website:http://bearware.info

Don't know why I'm replying to a bottoms post .. but anyway.
Have a 3.5 year old Sandisk drive 500meg that has been through the
wash and lives on my keys and still works fine .. depends what the
quality is I think.. this drive cost heaps and is extremely well made
and water proof!

Why Tea

Jan 10, 2009, 9:23:04 PM1/10/09
On Jan 10, 10:52 pm, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:
> Wal <no_re...@noreply.com> wrote innews:vg_9l.9753$cu....@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

That's a simplistic view and is lack of HW
understanding as someone has pointed out.
You can compare the mechanical and non-
mechanical parts, but you should also look
at the storage media of solid-state (NAND)
FLASH memory vs magnetic media. What
if the storage media dies first?

Bear Bottoms

Jan 10, 2009, 9:45:51 PM1/10/09
Why Tea <ytl...@gmail.com> wrote in news:5799d4a8-217b-4041-9b45-
779c33...@p2g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

> That's a simplistic view and is lack of HW
> understanding as someone has pointed out.
> You can compare the mechanical and non-
> mechanical parts, but you should also look
> at the storage media of solid-state (NAND)
> FLASH memory vs magnetic media. What
> if the storage media dies first?

There is no hardware understanding. You plug the damn thing in and use it
until it stops working. There ain't a thing you can do about it. Why be a
smart ass Mr. Anonymous!

Why Tea

Jan 10, 2009, 10:22:39 PM1/10/09
On Jan 11, 1:45 pm, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:
> Why Tea <ytl...@gmail.com> wrote in news:5799d4a8-217b-4041-9b45-
> 779c33f0b...@p2g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

> > That's a simplistic view and is lack of HW
> > understanding as someone has pointed out.
> > You can compare the mechanical and non-
> > mechanical parts, but you should also look
> > at the storage media of solid-state (NAND)
> > FLASH memory vs magnetic media. What
> > if the storage media dies first?
>
> There is no hardware understanding. You plug the damn thing in and use it
> until it stops working. There ain't a thing you can do about it. Why be a
> smart ass Mr. Anonymous!

Here we go again. Why do you always resort
to foul languages when the discussion is out
of your comfort zone or is beyond your under-
standing? Confucius says, "When anger rises,
think of the consequences." The consequence
here will be? You might miss the opportunity
to learn something useful.

Bear Bottoms

Jan 10, 2009, 10:42:29 PM1/10/09
Why Tea <ytl...@gmail.com> wrote in

You have a superiority complex. You are the one that always, and I mean
always takes it to the level of insults. As much as you would like to try
and turn this around, you are the one, again and again and again etc.
being nasty. Fuck you dudette. How's that?

Why are you always the smart ass...can't hold a civil discussion? Because
why? You have no feeling of self worth, so you try to put others down to
make you feel better? I'll bet that doesn't work :)

Why Tea

Jan 10, 2009, 11:08:29 PM1/10/09
On Jan 11, 2:42 pm, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:

Now, that's not nice, BB. Using such language
is never warranted in any civil discussion. Many
of your comments are plainly wrong, and yet
you became agitated when pointed by anyone
in the group. That's not going to help yourself
or anyone else in the group. Again, let others
judge.

Thomas Stevens

Jan 11, 2009, 5:12:37 AM1/11/09

Bear Bottoms

Jan 11, 2009, 7:37:25 AM1/11/09
Why Tea <ytl...@gmail.com> wrote in

Heh, and you are the one who are being nice here eh? You? I think not.
Wrong? I think not.

aracARI

Jan 11, 2009, 12:13:14 PM1/11/09
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 03:42:29 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

> You have a superiority complex. You are the one that always, and I mean
> always takes it to the level of insults. As much as you would like to try
> and turn this around, you are the one, again and again and again etc.
> being nasty. Fuck you dudette. How's that?
>
> Why are you always the smart ass...can't hold a civil discussion? Because
> why? You have no feeling of self worth, so you try to put others down to
> make you feel better? I'll bet that doesn't work :)

Attaboi, BB, take that neo-Nazi asswipe down a few freeware science
notches with your well researched psychobabble and PH.D. level
vocabulary.
--
http://tr.im/2a2r

aracARI

Jan 11, 2009, 12:14:48 PM1/11/09
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:08:29 -0800 (PST), Why Tea wrote:

> Now, that's not nice, BB. Using such language
> is never warranted in any civil discussion

Civil? Wht would BB talk to you civilly? He's a criminal, well, he's
mentioned in criminal ranks, ok, he's admitted to criminal activities,
loads of them, stoop to your level of "civil"?

Dolt.
--
http://tr.im/2a2r

Why Tea

Jan 11, 2009, 6:46:27 PM1/11/09
On Jan 11, 11:37 pm, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:

BB, in fact we can agree to disagree. But if you keep
thinking the other side is wrong when he/she doesn't
agree with you, how does that help. Are you going to
beat the other side into submission with abusive
languages? :) For those who deal with technology,
especially a freeware researcher like you, we all need
to learn from each other.

Bear Bottoms

Jan 11, 2009, 7:28:27 PM1/11/09

> On Jan 11, 11:37 pm, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:
>> Why Tea <ytl...@gmail.com> wrote

>> innews:0b8b611b-51b9-48bc-a6f5-c8b00bf50
> 0...@g3g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

Dude...you do not know how to disagree without denigrating. You also must
not understand that you do not know how to disagree without denigrating.

Until you do...fuck off.

Why Tea

Jan 11, 2009, 8:11:36 PM1/11/09
On Jan 12, 11:28 am, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:

There, you are at it again. That sort of language doesn't
make you civilized even if you had a point to prove.
Being angry without reasoning is dangerous. Being
angry and ignorant is even more dangerous...

Bear Bottoms

Jan 11, 2009, 8:43:50 PM1/11/09

> On Jan 12, 11:28 am, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:
>> Why Tea <ytl...@gmail.com> wrote

>> innews:b52c1f08-8494-413e-a73d-edbc11cf9
> 1...@z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

>> > 0...@g3g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

LOL...I'm not angry. I'm fucking with you dude. You are fucking with me,
so I'm returning the favor. You are trying to take the high road here,
and it won't fly. You are the one who can't disagree without besmirching.

Bear Bottoms

Jan 11, 2009, 9:54:06 PM1/11/09

Besides, you hate I do not. You want to tear apart ACF I am in civil
conversation. Quit being scum.

Bear Bottoms

Jan 11, 2009, 9:59:44 PM1/11/09

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 01:43:50 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:
>
>> Why Tea <ytl...@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> 1...@z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

*********FORGERY-ABUSE COMPLAINT SENT***********

Why Tea

Jan 11, 2009, 10:02:39 PM1/11/09

No. Not true. I won't use those words as "wrong" and
"lie" here since they appear to be copyrighted by you :)
Even if I want to, I know I have no chance of tearing apart
ACF. Come to think of it, neither do you nor anyone else.

Bear Bottoms

Jan 11, 2009, 10:05:14 PM1/11/09

> On Jan 12, 1:54 pm, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 01:43:50 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:
>> > Why Tea <ytl...@gmail.com> wrote in
>> >:

You responded to a forgery!

Bear Bottoms

Jan 11, 2009, 10:06:17 PM1/11/09
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 22:51:35 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

> =?UTF-8?B?wrtRwqs=?= <box...@gmx.net> wrote in
>
>> On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 04:55:23 +0000 (UTC)
>> Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote:
>>
>>> =?UTF-8?B?wrtRwqs=?= <box...@gmx.net> wrote in

>>> So you don't think an external hard drive has more power than a
>>> memory stick!
>>
>> WTF are you talking about?
>>
> Bye troll.

*********FORGERY-ABUSE COMPLAINT SENT***********

Bear Bottoms

Jan 11, 2009, 10:06:26 PM1/11/09
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 14:24:20 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

> =?UTF-8?B?wrtRwqs=?= <box...@gmx.net> wrote in

>> But thanks for turning it into one of your name-calling threads.
>>

> As if your purpose in stalking me is friendly.

Bear Bottoms

Jan 11, 2009, 10:12:41 PM1/11/09

*********FORGERY-ABUSE COMPLAINT SENT***********

Jo Kerr

Jan 12, 2009, 6:46:38 AM1/12/09
Bear Bottoms a formulé ce lundi :

> Dude...you do not know how to disagree without denigrating. You also must
> not understand that you do not know how to disagree without denigrating.
>
> Until you do...fuck off.

This newsgroup is becoming a troll concentration.
This kind of langage is not appropriate here. It's a pity, but I think
you are an ill person.

--
In gold we trust (c)

Bear Bottoms

Jan 12, 2009, 10:47:56 AM1/12/09

Another troll. Another liar who denigrates. Fuck off, suck my balls, eat
your own pussy, do I care? No.

WhiteTea

Jan 13, 2009, 5:01:56 PM1/13/09
On Jan 8, 5:12 pm, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:
> In the past week, I've had three USB sticks bite the dust. Over the last
> year it is a total of seven. Four were Travelers or something like that,
> and the other three (most recent) were SanDisks. It's got me paranoid of
> them and I keep two of everything. Kinda a hassel and dissappointing.
>
> I'm beginning to rethink their use, and with external hard drives getting
> smaller and smaller with more speed and power, I'm considering.....
>
> --
> Bear Bottoms
> Freeware website:http://bearware.info

Some of the Walmarts have Kingston 2 GB thumbdrives for $5.

Andy

Message has been deleted