Avira and Ask toolbar

Shadow

Jun 28, 2011, 10:39:43 AM6/28/11
http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?app=calendar&module=calendar&do=showevent&cal_id=1&event_id=95954

There is no way I can get rid of the nag screen to install the
toolbar (appears at every boot), so I'll either have to do some more
registry hacking or go to Avast .... uggh
I have the ask domain blocked in my firewall. Apparently you
cannot opt-out of the install, you have to let ask.com install the
toolbar, gather your personal data etc before you have an option to
uninstall the bloody thing.
[]'s

Man-wai Chang

Jun 28, 2011, 10:58:58 AM6/28/11
> I have the ask domain blocked in my firewall. Apparently you
> cannot opt-out of the install, you have to let ask.com install the
> toolbar, gather your personal data etc before you have an option to
> uninstall the bloody thing.

Avira is basically payware. Sad to see its free version to become adware.

Did you untick all the checkboxes when it asked you to install the Ask
Toolbar?

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

Shadow

Jun 28, 2011, 11:19:13 AM6/28/11
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:58:58 +0800, Man-wai Chang
<toylet...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have the ask domain blocked in my firewall. Apparently you
>> cannot opt-out of the install, you have to let ask.com install the
>> toolbar, gather your personal data etc before you have an option to
>> uninstall the bloody thing.
>
>Avira is basically payware. Sad to see its free version to become adware.
>
>Did you untick all the checkboxes when it asked you to install the Ask
>Toolbar?

It does not ask, at least in my case, which was an automatic
update.
This hack seems to have buggered the nag:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths\{627bd220-820b-43f7-bf3f-45f21d00efe5}]
"Description"=""
"SaferFlags"=dword:00000000
"ItemData"="C:\\Program Files\\Avira\\AntiVir Desktop\\ApnStub.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths\{8dd552b7-edcd-474c-81fd-d2aca32e0da3}]
"Description"=""
"SaferFlags"=dword:00000000
"ItemData"="C:\\Program Files\\Avira\\AntiVir
Desktop\\ApnToolbarInstaller.exe"

Change the path to the executables ApnToolbarInstaller.exe and
ApnStub.exe, to whatever they are in your language.
Beware wrap.
FWIW. Only tested 3 reboots so far ....
[]'s

gaz

Jun 28, 2011, 11:29:08 AM6/28/11

I dont understand, are you getting this on the standard avira free av
install? Or is it one of their extras?

David H. Lipman

Jun 28, 2011, 11:49:13 AM6/28/11
From: "gaz" <bk...@blugh.com>

The standard fee license expires in September. If you download the software update you
are extended to November 2012 with a catch. From the System Tray Avira pop-ups a
notification of a search bar install as a new feature. That installs Ask Toolbar and to
use the Webguard feature of Avira you have to enable Ask Toolbar.

I just closed the System Tray Avira pop-up notification and it did not install and on my
WinXP pro desktop I denied the execution of "ApnStub.exe" and "ApnToolbarInstaller.exe"
via SECPOL.MSC.

On my Vista Business notebook it required a reboot. I closed the System Tray Avira pop-up
notification and it did not install as well as I denied the execution of "ApnStub.exe" and
"ApnToolbarInstaller.exe" via SECPOL.MSC. Vista shows there is a Webguard that is
disabled because Ask Toolbar isn't installed and I went into the configuration and
specifically unchecked the box to load Webguard.

All this is PITA and Avira will feel the backlash when thye lose customers.

My POC at Avira could only state "Alas, I am not allowed to comment on this."

--
Dave
Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

David H. Lipman

Jun 28, 2011, 11:51:30 AM6/28/11
From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>

Sorry...

That should have been "The standard _free_ license expires in September. "

Man-wai Chang

Jun 28, 2011, 12:41:27 PM6/28/11
>> Did you untick all the checkboxes when it asked you to install the Ask
>> Toolbar?
> It does not ask, at least in my case, which was an automatic
> update.

No Custom Install option?

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.1

^ ^ 00:40:01 up 17 days 8:49 1 user load average: 1.03 1.05 1.05

Shadow

Jun 28, 2011, 12:58:25 PM6/28/11
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 00:41:27 +0800, Man-wai Chang
<toylet...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Did you untick all the checkboxes when it asked you to install the Ask
>>> Toolbar?
>> It does not ask, at least in my case, which was an automatic
>> update.
>
>No Custom Install option?

Dunno about a first install. Mine was just an update, and no
options were presented.
[]'s
PS David's hack with the security policy is the same as my
registry hack, just different ways to get the job done.

Man-wai Chang

Jun 28, 2011, 1:02:13 PM6/28/11
> Dunno about a first install. Mine was just an update, and no
> options were presented.

That may be the reason. Try a clean install.

(I am downloading it now... :)

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.1

^ ^ 01:00:01 up 17 days 9:09 1 user load average: 1.09 1.06 1.05

Man-wai Chang

Jun 28, 2011, 1:06:03 PM6/28/11
> That may be the reason. Try a clean install.
>
> (I am downloading it now... :)

There is a Custom option if you do a clean install.

Did you download your Avira from official website
http://www.free-av.com ? I hope you did NOT download
a hacked one! :)

Man-wai Chang

Jun 28, 2011, 1:17:16 PM6/28/11
> There is a Custom option if you do a clean install.

I don't see any option to turn off Ask Toolbar. So ... oh no...

There is a funny comment: Avira once listed Ask Toolbar as malware. :)

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.1

^ ^ 01:05:01 up 17 days 9:14 1 user load average: 1.01 1.05 1.05

David H. Lipman

Jun 28, 2011, 1:18:27 PM6/28/11
From: "Shadow" <S...@dow.br>

< snip >

> PS David's hack with the security policy is the same as my
> registry hack, just different ways to get the job done.

Interestingly...

If you use SecPol.MSC to create the disallow execution policies you'll see it in the
Registry.

Export the disallow execution policies from the Registry to a .REG file and the delete the
entries, then merge the REG file back intio the Registry you will see the disallow
execution policies.
However, when you go back into SecPol.MSC you will not see those policies you imported
from the REG file.

gaz

Jun 28, 2011, 1:21:32 PM6/28/11

I just prompted an update and sure enough their 'new security' shit popped
up. It gave me the option of install now or install later, the question is,
how often is it going to ask us to install it?

Bill Bradshaw

Jun 28, 2011, 3:19:23 PM6/28/11
Block AskStub in your firewall and see if that will help. I tried it in
XPMode and it seems to get rid of the nag screen.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

Sir_George

Jun 28, 2011, 3:36:13 PM6/28/11
Shadow wrote:

I use Avira, the paid version, and have no problem. Perhaps the
proverbial statement "You get what you pay for" applies in this case;
ie, no nag screen and no "Ask" toolbar.

It puzzles me when people use a free version of a product and then
complain when there is a "string" attached, such as a nag screen...not
so sure about installing a hidden toolbar without notification being in
the same league, however.

None the less, I don't mind paying for any useful and well written
software. Just my point of view.

--
Sir_George

Message has been deleted

David H. Lipman

Jun 28, 2011, 4:27:15 PM6/28/11
From: "Yrrah" <Yrra...@acf.invalid>

> Please do not x-post to non-freeware groups.
>
> Yrrah

It was cross-posted alt.comp.virus AND alt.comp.anti-virus with a.c.f
Totally On Topic for all groups posted to and appropriate content for all.

Message has been deleted

David H. Lipman

Jun 28, 2011, 4:48:28 PM6/28/11
From: <avee>

> On 28 Jun 2011 19:36:13 GMT, "Sir_George" <Sir_G...@invalid.com>

> Avira will not update today.

It did on two computers of mine with no problems noted.

Message has been deleted

Bear Bottoms

Jun 28, 2011, 4:59:14 PM6/28/11
Man-wai Chang <toylet...@gmail.com> wrote in news:iucq7k$bmb$2@dont-
email.me:

> Avira is basically payware. Sad to see its free version to become adware.

It's always been adware.

--
Bear Bottoms
Owner http://bearware.info

FromTheRafters

Jun 28, 2011, 7:13:14 PM6/28/11
Mine's only going to ask one more time.

Sofa Slug

Jun 28, 2011, 9:27:00 PM6/28/11
On 6/28/2011 12:19 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> Block AskStub in your firewall and see if that will help. I tried it in
> XPMode and it seems to get rid of the nag screen.

That worked for me, too. If you are running XP's firewall, it's an easy
fix. I wrote up a little procedure for it:

1)Go to Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall.
2)Click on the "Exceptions" tab, then the "Add Program..." button.
3)Browse to the Avira > AntiVir Desktop folder and click on
"ApnStub.exe", then click OK.
with a check box next to it. Uncheck the box and click OK.

Message has been deleted

David H. Lipman

Jun 28, 2011, 10:05:52 PM6/28/11
From: "Yrrah" <Yrra...@acf.invalid>

> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>:

>> It was cross-posted alt.comp.virus AND alt.comp.anti-virus with a.c.f
>> Totally On Topic for all groups posted to and appropriate content for all.
>

> Non-freeware groups. He should not have x-posted.
>
> Yrrah

The product is in the genre of anti virus and was posted in anti virus related news groups
where the subject matter is important and apropos.

Shadow did no wrong and should not be chastised for cross posting to pertinent, On Topic,
news groups.

Dustin

Jun 28, 2011, 10:18:43 PM6/28/11
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

> From: "Yrrah" <Yrra...@acf.invalid>
>
>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>:
>>
>>> It was cross-posted alt.comp.virus AND alt.comp.anti-virus with
>>> a.c.f Totally On Topic for all groups posted to and appropriate
>>> content for all.
>>
>> Non-freeware groups. He should not have x-posted.
>>
>> Yrrah
>
> The product is in the genre of anti virus and was posted in anti
> virus related news groups where the subject matter is important and
> apropos.
>
> Shadow did no wrong and should not be chastised for cross posting to
> pertinent, On Topic, news groups.

IAWTP

--
you know ill be the one who gets falling down drunk at my neighbor kids
soccer game. I got a 82 fiero with a car seat in the middle broken down

Nicetameetya

Jun 28, 2011, 10:26:52 PM6/28/11

[Default] On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 02:18:43 GMT, Dustin
<bughunte...@gmail.com> told us in complete confidence:

>"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
>
>> From: "Yrrah" <Yrra...@acf.invalid>

>>> Non-freeware groups. He should not have x-posted.
>>>
>>> Yrrah
>>
>> The product is in the genre of anti virus and was posted in anti
>> virus related news groups where the subject matter is important and
>> apropos.
>>
>> Shadow did no wrong and should not be chastised for cross posting to
>> pertinent, On Topic, news groups.
>
>IAWTP

Yo tambien.

FromTheRafters

Jun 28, 2011, 10:27:18 PM6/28/11
Dustin wrote:
> "David H. Lipman"<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
>
>> From: "Yrrah"<Yrra...@acf.invalid>

>>> Non-freeware groups. He should not have x-posted.
>>>
>>> Yrrah
>>
>> The product is in the genre of anti virus and was posted in anti
>> virus related news groups where the subject matter is important and
>> apropos.
>>
>> Shadow did no wrong and should not be chastised for cross posting to
>> pertinent, On Topic, news groups.
>
> IAWTP

Technically, does AntiVir Free version qualify as freeware? It seems to
me that it is ad supported software (adware). Of course that's no bar to
it being on-topic in the freeware group as I'm sure there are a lot of
"free, but for a price" freeware offerings out there. :o)

Yuhler G

Jun 29, 2011, 12:24:21 AM6/29/11

I use Diamond CS Process Guard (v2.0 and v3.5, both free) and it spots three
new executables after a normal AntiVir on-line update: avhlp.exe which calls
ApnStub.exe. I granted execution of avhlp.exe but had ApnStub.exe blocked.
ApnToolbarInstaller.exe was not executed (probably because of blocked
ApnStub.exe). After that, the only drawback is the "closed umbrella icon" due
to nonoperational WebGuard.

I heard Ask.com was closing its business but looks like they will annoy us a
bit longer. Alas, the joint-venture they made with Avira may finally throw me
on Avast's arms. :(

--
Best,
Yuhler G.

Due to spam I'm filtering-out GoogleGroups. Sorry. :(

Ron May

Jun 29, 2011, 2:05:43 AM6/29/11
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:26:52 +1200, Nicetameetya <gd...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

Eu tamb�m

(I didn't see the OP until others commented because I block messages that
are crossposted to more than 2 groups. It was an important post, and I
thank those who called attention to it. IMHO, it WAS on topic to all the
original groups.)

FYI, It just became an issue for me this evening when my PCTools firewall
generated a popup alert about "AskStub Application" wanting to access the
internet. It gave the path as C:\Secure\Avira\Antivir Desktop\Apnstub.exe
on my non-default setup location and I blocked the application. The update
apparently took place, and after two reboots, there has been no nag screen
to install the Ask (Avira) toolbar. The only side effect AFAICT is that
Web Guard is disabled. No big deal for me, as I don't rely on that type of
service anyway. I will follow develoopments closely, and may switch back
to Avast! which has been much improved since the V4.x I last used on Vista.
On my wife's XP setup, V6.0.1091 has been working great.

--
Ron M.
Ubuntu/Vista Dual Boot

G. Morgan

Jun 29, 2011, 4:21:40 AM6/29/11
FromTheRafters wrote:

>Technically, does AntiVir Free version qualify as freeware? It seems to
>me that it is ad supported software (adware). Of course that's no bar to
>it being on-topic in the freeware group as I'm sure there are a lot of
>"free, but for a price" freeware offerings out there. :o)

It only advertises itself though, I can deal with that.

When I can't <grin>, I have a little .reg file to make a local path
policy that disallows"avnotify.exe" to execute.

Man-wai Chang

Jun 29, 2011, 4:36:43 AM6/29/11
>> Avira is basically payware. Sad to see its free version to become adware.
> It's always been adware.

No. It's not a few years ago.

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.1

^ ^ 16:36:01 up 18 days 45 min 1 user load average: 1.01 1.06 1.05

John Corliss

Jun 29, 2011, 4:58:16 AM6/29/11
FromTheRafters wrote:
> Dustin wrote:
>> David H. Lipman wrote:

>>> The product is in the genre of anti virus and was posted in anti
>>> virus related news groups where the subject matter is important and
>>> apropos.
>>>
>>> Shadow did no wrong and should not be chastised for cross posting to
>>> pertinent, On Topic, news groups.
>>
>> IAWTP
>
> Technically, does AntiVir Free version qualify as freeware? It seems to
> me that it is ad supported software (adware). Of course that's no bar to
> it being on-topic in the freeware group as I'm sure there are a lot of
> "free, but for a price" freeware offerings out there. :o)

Adware is NOT freeware and thus it is off topic in the alt.comp.freeware
newsgroup.

--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share,
spy, time-limited, trial or web wares OR warez for me, please.

aioe.org
alt.net [Altopia]
dizum.com
ecn.org
frell.theremailer.net
glorb.com
mixmaster.*
open-news-network.org
rip.ax.lt
tioat.net
usenet4all.se
x-privat.org
etc. (as they appear)

Ron May

Jun 29, 2011, 7:39:58 AM6/29/11
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 01:58:16 -0700, John Corliss <q34w...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Adware is NOT freeware and thus it is off topic in the alt.comp.freeware
> newsgroup.

From the Pricelessware Glossary:

"Adware: software that displays advertising for other products and/or
services (often downloaded from the internet by the software)."

I haven't seen an "ad" yet on my installation, but as I said elsewhere,
I'll be following developments closely.

As far as bundling goes, I don't like it, but several Pricelessware
selections (e.g., Irfanview) have offered to install unrelated software
during the main installation process. As long as the opt-out is obvious
(and not "buried" in a way that a quick-clicking user might miss) I'll live
with it. YMMV.

Man-wai Chang

Jun 29, 2011, 8:54:35 AM6/29/11
> I have the ask domain blocked in my firewall. Apparently you
> cannot opt-out of the install, you have to let ask.com install the
> toolbar, gather your personal data etc before you have an option to
> uninstall the bloody thing.

Installing the executable from http://www.free-av.com, no Ask Toolbar is
installed. How did you get your Avira Antivir Free?

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.1

^ ^ 20:50:01 up 18 days 4:59 1 user load average: 1.00 1.02 1.17

David H. Lipman

Jun 29, 2011, 9:30:00 AM6/29/11
From: "Man-wai Chang" <toylet...@gmail.com>

>> I have the ask domain blocked in my firewall. Apparently you
>> cannot opt-out of the install, you have to let ask.com install the
>> toolbar, gather your personal data etc before you have an option to
>> uninstall the bloody thing.
>
> Installing the executable from http://www.free-av.com, no Ask Toolbar is installed. How
> did you get your Avira Antivir Free?
>
> --

Now update the program.

Update --> start product update

Shadow

Jun 29, 2011, 10:06:12 AM6/29/11
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:39:43 -0300, Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote:

>http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?app=calendar&module=calendar&do=showevent&cal_id=1&event_id=95954
>
> There is no way I can get rid of the nag screen to install the
>toolbar (appears at every boot), so I'll either have to do some more
>registry hacking or go to Avast .... uggh

> I have the ask domain blocked in my firewall. Apparently you
>cannot opt-out of the install, you have to let ask.com install the
>toolbar, gather your personal data etc before you have an option to
>uninstall the bloody thing.

> []'s
The irony of it:
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=986984
(Read before they delete the post in their forum)
///
marfabilis Moderator
Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Monday, August 2nd 2010, 4:19pm

It would also be advisable to uninstall:

Ask Toolbar - Ask.com Toolbar, bundled with many third party
applications
fxp Toolbar - a Conduit/EffectiveBrand "Free Community" toolbar -
modifies the default IE SearchHook. Some Conduit toolbars are reputed
to have a certain adware/trackware functionality.
///

I've gone to Avast, but if Avira cleans up the mess, I might
switch back. A simple "do not install" option, together with the
current "install now" and "install later" would do the trick.
IMHO
[OT] Yrrah, get that hemorrhoid ointment, quick, or take a
laxative or something !!
[]'s

Larry B

Jun 29, 2011, 10:17:21 AM6/29/11

"Shadow" <S...@dow.br> wrote in message

> http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?app=calendar&module=calendar&do=showevent&cal_id=1&event_id=95954
>
> There is no way I can get rid of the nag screen to install the
> toolbar (appears at every boot), so I'll either have to do some more
> registry hacking or go to Avast .... uggh
> I have the ask domain blocked in my firewall. Apparently you
> cannot opt-out of the install, you have to let ask.com install the
> toolbar, gather your personal data etc before you have an option to
> uninstall the bloody thing.
> []'s

Don't like the nag screen and like toolbars even less. Just wondering if
anyone had installed the toolbar and then disabled it in their browser.
Before I do that I wanted to find out if that is a bad idea. Avira has
otherwise been pretty good up to now (except for that full upgrade nag
screen).

Man-wai Chang

Jun 29, 2011, 10:39:38 AM6/29/11
> Now update the program.
> Update --> start product update

Product update???

I always removed the old one and installed the new one from scratch....

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.1

^ ^ 22:35:01 up 18 days 6:44 1 user load average: 1.05 1.03 1.05

gaz

Jun 29, 2011, 12:55:24 PM6/29/11
Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> I have the ask domain blocked in my firewall. Apparently you
>> cannot opt-out of the install, you have to let ask.com install the
>> toolbar, gather your personal data etc before you have an option to
>> uninstall the bloody thing.
>
> Installing the executable from http://www.free-av.com, no Ask Toolbar
> is installed. How did you get your Avira Antivir Free?

Do an update, following a reboot you will be asked if you want to install
the toolbar. They might be rolling it across different regions. I have not
seen any adverts for uniblue, just some european download site.

FromTheRafters

Jun 29, 2011, 4:11:44 PM6/29/11
G. Morgan wrote:
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>
>> Technically, does AntiVir Free version qualify as freeware? It seems to
>> me that it is ad supported software (adware). Of course that's no bar to
>> it being on-topic in the freeware group as I'm sure there are a lot of
>> "free, but for a price" freeware offerings out there. :o)
>
> It only advertises itself though, I can deal with that.

So can I.

> When I can't<grin>, I have a little .reg file to make a local path
> policy that disallows"avnotify.exe" to execute.

Yeah, I've got that too, but I haven't used it yet. I figure
a little advertisement is only fair especially since I knew
about it going in.

Sometimes, it's even entertaining.

(detects rotkits lol)

Larry B

Jun 29, 2011, 11:12:38 PM6/29/11

"Shadow" <S...@dow.br> wrote in message
> http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?app=calendar&module=calendar&do=showevent&cal_id=1&event_id=95954
>
> There is no way I can get rid of the nag screen to install the
> toolbar (appears at every boot), so I'll either have to do some more
> registry hacking or go to Avast .... uggh
> I have the ask domain blocked in my firewall. Apparently you
> cannot opt-out of the install, you have to let ask.com install the
> toolbar, gather your personal data etc before you have an option to
> uninstall the bloody thing.
> []'s

Saw on an a thread over at ACAV how to get rig of the nag screen.

Go to Add/Remove Programs (on XP) and choose Change. Just follow the prompts
while not checking the toolbar option. It will uninstall and reinstall Avira
components. No more nags (so far) and the umbrella is open again. Thanks Lil
Abner!

Ron

Jun 29, 2011, 11:13:46 PM6/29/11
gaz wrote:
> David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "gaz" <bk...@blugh.com>

>>> I dont understand, are you getting this on the standard avira free
>>> av install? Or is it one of their extras?
>> The standard fee license expires in September. If you download the
>> software update you are extended to November 2012 with a catch. From
>> the System Tray Avira pop-ups a notification of a search bar install
>> as a new feature. That installs Ask Toolbar and to use the Webguard
>> feature of Avira you have to enable Ask Toolbar.
>> I just closed the System Tray Avira pop-up notification and it did
>> not install and on my WinXP pro desktop I denied the execution of
>> "ApnStub.exe" and "ApnToolbarInstaller.exe" via SECPOL.MSC.
>>
>> On my Vista Business notebook it required a reboot. I closed the
>> System Tray Avira pop-up notification and it did not install as well
>> as I denied the execution of "ApnStub.exe" and
>> "ApnToolbarInstaller.exe" via SECPOL.MSC. Vista shows there is a
>> Webguard that is disabled because Ask Toolbar isn't installed and I
>> went into the configuration and specifically unchecked the box to
>> load Webguard.
>> All this is PITA and Avira will feel the backlash when thye lose
>> customers.
>> My POC at Avira could only state "Alas, I am not allowed to comment
>> on this."
>
> I just prompted an update and sure enough their 'new security' shit popped
> up. It gave me the option of install now or install later, the question is,
> how often is it going to ask us to install it?

I just went though this.

I went ahead and hit OK to install the update/toolbar on the tray popup.

Which prompted Avira to give me a repair or remove option. So I hit
repair and there was an option on whether or not to install the toolbar.

I elected not to, and now Avira is fine.

Ron

Jun 29, 2011, 11:18:54 PM6/29/11

I was the OP of that thread, read what I posted in response.

Larry B

Jun 30, 2011, 12:08:55 AM6/30/11

"Ron" <bigel...@msn.com> wrote in message

Hey Ron, Kudos to you, too!! Even easier.

Man-wai Chang

Jun 30, 2011, 3:22:35 AM6/30/11
> Do an update, following a reboot you will be asked if you want to install
> the toolbar. They might be rolling it across different regions. I have not
> seen any adverts for uniblue, just some european download site.

Thanks. The solution is simple: don't do a full product update, but
download and clean-install.

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.1

^ ^ 15:17:01 up 18 days 23:26 1 user load average: 1.00 1.04 1.05

Bear Bottoms

Jun 30, 2011, 4:24:44 AM6/30/11
Man-wai Chang <toylet...@gmail.com> wrote in news:iueo6s$h7l$1@dont-
email.me:

>>> Avira is basically payware. Sad to see its free version to become adware.
>> It's always been adware.
>
> No. It's not a few years ago.

It makes no difference because adware does not require payment so it is also
freeware.

--
Bear Bottoms
Owner http://bearware.info

Man-wai Chang

Jun 30, 2011, 5:25:51 AM6/30/11
>>> It's always been adware.
>>
>> No. It's not a few years ago.
>>
> It makes no difference because adware does not require payment so it is also
> freeware.

But the freeware got income from those ads. :)

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.2
^ ^ 17:22:01 up 1:45 0 users load average: 1.06 1.04 1.05

Message has been deleted

Bear Bottoms

Jun 30, 2011, 6:23:45 AM6/30/11

>>> No. It's not a few years ago.
>>>
>> It makes no difference because adware does not require payment so it
>> is also freeware.
>
> But the freeware got income from those ads. :)

You wouldn't have an economy without income.

--
Bear Bottoms
Owner http://bearware.info

Defeat Forgers:

Man-wai Chang

Jun 30, 2011, 7:14:34 AM6/30/11
> I went ahead and hit OK to install the update/toolbar on the tray popup.
>
> Which prompted Avira to give me a repair or remove option. So I hit
> repair and there was an option on whether or not to install the toolbar.
>
> I elected not to, and now Avira is fine.

Thanks!

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silent.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.2

^ ^ 19:12:01 up 3:35 0 users load average: 1.03 1.18 1.14

Message has been deleted

Pooh the Cat

Jun 30, 2011, 1:58:00 PM6/30/11
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:52:18 +0200, Yrrah <Yrra...@acf.invalid>
wrote:

>John Corliss <q34w...@yahoo.com>:

>> Adware is NOT freeware and thus it is off topic in the alt.comp.freeware
>> newsgroup.
>

>Morons will never understand that.
>
>Yrrah

I could swear that I've witnessed you heaping praise upon PDF-XChange
Viewer? and John too, No/Yes?

Anyway, thanks for denigrating Ron!!!

--
Pooh the cat
Internet Terrorist, Mass Sock puppeteer, Agent provocateur, Gutter rat

RayLopez99

Jul 5, 2011, 9:48:34 AM7/5/11
On Jun 29, 5:06 pm, Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote:

>         I've gone to Avast, but if Avira cleans up the mess, I might
> switch back. A simple "do not install" option, together with the
> current "install now" and "install later" would do the trick.
>         IMHO
>         [OT] Yrrah, get that hemorrhoid ointment, quick, or take a
> laxative or something !!
>         []'s

Avira clean install did not give me a nag screen for Windows 7, if
Avira is the one with the red umbrella (PC not in front of me now).

But I did recommend Avast to somebody recently, never having used it,
and other than perhaps a slightly smaller detection rate than Avira,
am curious if there's anything wrong with it. Seems Avast is OK from
the reviews I've read.

RL

Man-wai Chang

Jul 5, 2011, 1:06:47 PM7/5/11

It's talking about the Premium version.

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silent.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.2

^ ^ 00:33:01 up 5 days 8:56 0 users load average: 1.01 1.03 1.05

Tired

Jul 5, 2011, 4:43:56 PM7/5/11

avast has a bigger system footprint...

Message has been deleted