Command line delete to recycle bin?

Turbo

Apr 11, 2003, 9:02:37 PM4/11/03
Howdy all...

Just wondering if anyone might know of a windows command line based
program to delete files to the recycle bin instead of just deleting
them. I've found a few of these, but they're extremely old, and for
some odd reason, they seem to miss certain files under winMe. An
example might be clearing out a browser cache and having a half dozen
or so files (These should have been removed by all accounts) not make
it into the recycle bin.

Thanks,

Ignore this:
What's considered spam in my neck of the woods isn't considered spam
in someone else's neck of the woods... See?

Visual REGEXP 3.0:
http://laurent.riesterer.free.fr/regexp/

Standalone For Windows [828k]:
http://laurent.riesterer.free.fr/regexp/visual_regexp-3.0.exe

Yep.

* Note: Due to unrelenting SPAM, all email sent to my address *
* is purged daily. *

Peter Jetson

Apr 11, 2003, 11:36:32 PM4/11/03
Turbo wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone might know of a windows command line based
> program to delete files to the recycle bin instead of just deleting
> them. I've found a few of these, but they're extremely old, and for
> some odd reason, they seem to miss certain files under winMe. An
> example might be clearing out a browser cache and having a half dozen
> or so files (These should have been removed by all accounts) not make
> it into the recycle bin.

I use a free utility called BigBin - it just runs in the background, and
it redirects anything you delete to the recycle bin, even from DOS. I
use it in Win98SE; I can't be certain it would work with WinMe, but I
can't see why not.

BigBin is from PC Magazine, which means you can't download it for free
any more. However, it's only 43k, and I'm happy to email it to you if
you want. Otherwise, you might be able to find it online somewhere.

Peter

Andrew Graham

Apr 12, 2003, 12:05:04 AM4/12/03
Turbo wrote:
> Howdy all...
>
> Just wondering if anyone might know of a windows command line based
> program to delete files to the recycle bin instead of just deleting
> them. I've found a few of these, but they're extremely old, and for
> some odd reason, they seem to miss certain files under winMe. An
> example might be clearing out a browser cache and having a half dozen
> or so files (These should have been removed by all accounts) not make
> it into the recycle bin.

http://www.maddogsw.com/cmdutils/ has "A collection of a few free
utilities to make life at the Win9x/NT command line a bit easier and
more flexible."

It includes Recycle.exe, plus a bunch of other goodies.

Andrew Graham

BeAr

Apr 12, 2003, 4:14:00 AM4/12/03
On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:36:32 +1000, Peter Jetson wrote:

---------------------<Snip>-------------------------------------

> BigBin is from PC Magazine, which means you can't download it for free
> any more. However, it's only 43k, and I'm happy to email it to you if

---------------------<Snip>-------------------------------------

Oh. I wasn't aware that Simtel removed their PCMag-Section. Thanks a lot
for this side-info! Fortunately some mirrors still have the directory.
Up to now I only stored some selected tools in my archive. Yet it got a
bit more expanded... ;-)

If you have related tips - you're always welcome!

Thanks again!
BeAr

Joe Caverly

Apr 12, 2003, 7:36:07 AM4/12/03
Turbo <spam...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<b77ahd.3...@wildcat.invalid>...

> Howdy all...
>
> Just wondering if anyone might know of a windows command line based
> program to delete files to the recycle bin instead of just deleting
> them. I've found a few of these, but they're extremely old, and for
> some odd reason, they seem to miss certain files under winMe. An
> example might be clearing out a browser cache and having a half dozen
> or so files (These should have been removed by all accounts) not make
> it into the recycle bin.

> Thanks,

Hi,
Visit http://www.easytools.com/Downloads/Freebies

From the Web Site;

Delete XP is for deleting files from Command Prompt in Windows
(Windows 9x and Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP). Unlike, the standard "DEL"
command which only deletes the file, Delete XP deletes the files and
sends them to the recycle bin. The file(s) to be deleted are passed to
it as parameters. It now supports /p and adds two new options /a /d
/v.

Just like del command in Windows NT/2000/XP, Delete XP supports
multiple file names as parameters even in Windows 9x.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Boboflex

Apr 12, 2003, 2:31:14 PM4/12/03
poor bastard.

windows ME?

I'm sorry..

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 01:02:37 GMT, Turbo <spam...@bellsouth.net>

REMbr...@inu.net

Apr 13, 2003, 2:36:27 AM4/13/03
> Turbo <spam...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Howdy all...

>Just wondering if anyone might know of a windows command line based
>program to delete files to the recycle bin instead of just deleting
>them. I've found a few of these, but they're extremely old, and for
>some odd reason, they seem to miss certain files under winMe. An
>example might be clearing out a browser cache and having a half dozen
>or so files (These should have been removed by all accounts) not make
>it into the recycle bin.

>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

move *.* c:\recycled

Write that into a batch file and place it in a directory on your path and you
can move all files in whatever directory you are in by typing the name of
the batch file. Make sure there are no program files in there of course.

Otherwise, just type it in the directory you are in:

move *.html C:\recycled

Files with identical names will overwrite each other.

Turbo

Apr 13, 2003, 7:45:29 PM4/13/03
On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 18:31:14 GMT,
Boboflex stated the following in alt.comp.freeware:

> poor bastard.
>
> windows ME?
>
> I'm sorry..

Sheesh, since trolling is what you were after, I'll indulge you. BTW -
Try and do better on you're next attempt. Stupid two word statements
won't normally get you what you want. Practice. Try going for a
minimum of at least a 16 word post. You did however manage to get one
thing right. Top posting is always inflammatory! And while you're at
it, switching to MSOE will definitely enhance your prowess. So then:

Just what operating system should I use to elevate me from 'poor'
bastard to 'enlightened' bastard'?

Well?

[Snip]

Turbo

Apr 13, 2003, 7:45:29 PM4/13/03
On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 06:36:27 GMT,
REMbr...@inu.net stated the following in alt.comp.freeware:

>> Turbo <spam...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> Howdy all...
>
>> Just wondering if anyone might know of a windows command line based
>> program to delete files to the recycle bin instead of just deleting
>> them. I've found a few of these, but they're extremely old, and for
>> some odd reason, they seem to miss certain files under winMe. An
>> example might be clearing out a browser cache and having a half dozen
>> or so files (These should have been removed by all accounts) not make
>> it into the recycle bin.
>
>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> move *.* c:\recycled
>
> Write that into a batch file and place it in a directory on your path and you
> can move all files in whatever directory you are in by typing the name of
> the batch file. Make sure there are no program files in there of course.
>
> Otherwise, just type it in the directory you are in:
>
> move *.html C:\recycled
>
> Files with identical names will overwrite each other.

First off, thanks to all those that posted suggestions...

Actually, I just had to try this as it seemed the most simplistic way
of handling it. Nice try, but no cigar. Using 'move' does nothing more
then just that. It moves files into the Dir called 'recycled' and
nothing more. Put another way, if the rec bin is empty prior to the
move command, it's empty afterwards. Files moved in this way are not
converted to rec bin standards. But I think you already knew this. :)

Turbo

Apr 13, 2003, 7:45:29 PM4/13/03
On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:36:32 +1000,
Peter Jetson stated the following in alt.comp.freeware:

> Turbo wrote:
>
>> Just wondering if anyone might know of a windows command line based [snip]

> BigBin is from PC Magazine, which means you can't download it for free
> any more. However, it's only 43k, and I'm happy to email it to you if
> you want. Otherwise, you might be able to find it online somewhere.

Thanks, I'm not exactly familiar with BigBin. Be my guest. I'll keep a
look out for it. :)

REMbr...@inu.net

Apr 14, 2003, 8:41:53 AM4/14/03
> Turbo <spam...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 06:36:27 GMT,
>REMbr...@inu.net stated the following in alt.comp.freeware:

>>> Turbo <spam...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>>> Howdy all...

>> move *.* c:\recycled

>> Write that into a batch file and place it in a directory on your path and you
>> can move all files in whatever directory you are in by typing the name of
>> the batch file. Make sure there are no program files in there of course.

>First off, thanks to all those that posted suggestions...

>Actually, I just had to try this as it seemed the most simplistic way
>of handling it. Nice try, but no cigar. Using 'move' does nothing more
>then just that. It moves files into the Dir called 'recycled' and
>nothing more. Put another way, if the rec bin is empty prior to the
>move command, it's empty afterwards. Files moved in this way are not
>converted to rec bin standards. But I think you already knew this. :)

I've never used it, but I had assumed the bin would refresh itself. You can
point your browser to the Recycled directory and view any .html files there.

Hmmm, another way might be creating zip files with recursed subdirectories,
but that still doesn't address the refresh problem.

I don't think I've ever heard of a utility that does what you seek. I thought
I'd have a go at alternatives that come close. Maybe next time...

larrydalooza

Apr 14, 2003, 2:13:11 PM4/14/03
http://www.easytools.com/Downloads/Freebies/

see deletexp on this page

Larry

Andy Muppett

Apr 14, 2003, 2:19:48 PM4/14/03
REMbr...@inu.net wrote in message news:<3e9aab72...@news.inu.net>...

>Maybe next time...

That will be your epitaph.

Andy Muppett

Mårten Mellberg

Apr 14, 2003, 3:27:39 PM4/14/03
At Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:45:29 GMT Turbo <spam...@bellsouth.net> wrote 20 Lines about "Re:
Command line delete to recycle bin?" in "alt.comp.freeware"

>On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:36:32 +1000,
>Peter Jetson stated the following in alt.comp.freeware:
>
>> Turbo wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering if anyone might know of a windows command line based [snip]
>

>> BigBin is from PC Magazine, which means you can't download it for free
>> any more. However, it's only 43k, and I'm happy to email it to you if
>> you want. Otherwise, you might be able to find it online somewhere.

Don't find any versionnumber but there is one bigbin link working for Me at;
http://www.jhps.net/files/util/

Found it thrue google.com most filearchives linked to zdnet but this had it on their own
server.

Go get it Tiger!

BoB

Apr 14, 2003, 7:09:05 PM4/14/03
>>> Turbo <spam...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy all...
>>
>>> Just wondering if anyone might know of a windows command line based
>>> program to delete files to the recycle bin instead of just deleting
>>> them. I've found a few of these, but they're extremely old, and for
>>> some odd reason, they seem to miss certain files under winMe. An
>>> example might be clearing out a browser cache and having a half dozen
>>> or so files (These should have been removed by all accounts) not make
>>> it into the recycle bin.
>>
>>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have an icon on my desktop called RecycleNow.exe. It empties
the Recycle Bin in one click. Google should find it as I don't
recall where I picked up this 20k time saver. I prefer not to
use Explorer for anything, since it has a mind of its own as
to whether it wants to open up 'full screen' or not. This small
program eliminated the only reason I had to open Explorer.

BoB