TinyPDF????

Mike Dee

Feb 6, 2010, 5:10:11 AM2/6/10
Just DL'd TinyPDF.

It's also linked to in section
<http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_TEXT.php#2.02ConvertTextToPDF
(andimages)> ...as a Freeware.

On the web page it says for TinyPDF: "Freeware. No strings attached."

OK, DL'd and it goes and installs itself as: "MagicPDF Pro"!!!

Worse, every page it produces has *UNREGISTERED* plastered over it.

Worse still... try and register and it wants $50 to do so... :-P

It *still* clearly states on the TinyPDF site that the software is free
to use without any restriction.

Damn damn and damn!!!!!!

--
dee

proteanthread

Feb 6, 2010, 10:15:14 AM2/6/10
Next time use FreePDF as has been suggested here many times.

"Mike Dee" <mik...@emteedee.invalid> wrote in message

Frank Hahn

Feb 6, 2010, 10:23:43 AM2/6/10
"proteanthread" <rt...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:jIfbn.18422$3n2.6895
@newsfe01.iad:

It has been awhile since I have used TinyPDF but at the time I had no
problems with it like you are describing.

I went to what I thought the web page was after typing tinypdf in a Google
search box. I could not find anywhere to actually download the file from.
There was a download page but I could not find n actual link. On the page
it lists this:

Software Version: 1.0.2195 | File Size: 600,866 bytes | Release Date: Sep
16, 2007

Did the file you downloaded match the above?

I might have a copy at work if you are interested. I have since switched
back to CutePDF.

--
Frank Hahn

Tommy McClure

Feb 6, 2010, 10:54:45 AM2/6/10

I just tried this recently, far better than Foxit : PDF-XCHANGE VIEWER

http://www.docu-track.com/downloads/users/

2/6/2010 9:52:32 AM
--
Tommy
my webpages : www.hal-pc.org/~toner27

Message has been deleted

Craig

Feb 6, 2010, 11:56:56 AM2/6/10
On 02/06/2010 08:44 AM, Yrrah wrote:
> "proteanthread"<rt...@hotmail.com>:

>> Next time use FreePDF as has been suggested here many times.
>
> PDFCreator or doPDF, as has been suggested here many more times.

Pdfcreator's install includes a "toolbar." It's been a while so I
forget which or, whether it's an opt-in or opt-out. Either way, just
take your time during install & it'll be obvious.

hth,
--
-Craig

Craig

Feb 6, 2010, 12:06:07 PM2/6/10

Wow. That's pretty fricking blatant. Thanks for the head's up.
They're tucking away the freeware version here now:

<http://www.magicpdf.com/product.html>

hth,
--
-Craig

Dave

Feb 6, 2010, 12:08:34 PM2/6/10
On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:23:43 -0600, Frank Hahn wrote:

> It has been awhile since I have used TinyPDF but at the time I had no
> problems with it like you are describing.
>
> I went to what I thought the web page was after typing tinypdf in a
> Google search box. I could not find anywhere to actually download the
> file from. There was a download page but I could not find n actual link.
> On the page it lists this:
>
> Software Version: 1.0.2195 | File Size: 600,866 bytes | Release Date:
> Sep 16, 2007
>
> Did the file you downloaded match the above?
>
> I might have a copy at work if you are interested. I have since switched
> back to CutePDF.

I f you have ADBlock enabled the download link is hidden.Disable ADBlock
and a download box graphic appears.

Dave

--
Registered Linux user # 444770

proteanthread

Feb 6, 2010, 12:13:24 PM2/6/10
Version 5 and possibly version 6 of doPDF, maybe, but not doPDF 7.

"Yrrah" <Yrra...@acf.invalid> wrote in message
> "proteanthread" <rt...@hotmail.com>:

>> Next time use FreePDF as has been suggested here many times.
>

> PDFCreator or doPDF, as has been suggested here many more times.
>
> Yrrah
>
> --
> Some of the best of the best in Freeware
> http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/

Susan Bugher

Feb 6, 2010, 12:17:28 PM2/6/10
Mike Dee wrote:

I second that emotion in spades.
It's a SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<http://www.tinypdf.com/TinyPDF_SCAM>

1. There is a real TinyPDF "Software Version: 1.0.2195 | File Size:
600,866 bytes | Release Date: Sep 16, 2007". You can download it via the
Wayback Machine:
<http://web.archive.org/web/20071020100632/http://www.tinypdf.com/InstallTinyPDF.exe>
File version: 1.0.2195.1000
Copyright (C) 2007 Real Software Solutions, Inc
Size: 600866 bytes
File Version: 1.0.2195.1000
MD5: 2889D6F43BD16B5FB5C769842C714D05

2. That may be the ONLY download location for the "real thing". OTOH
there are MANY places you can download files that only PURPORT to be
"TinyPDF 1.0.2195".

3. Softpedia:
<http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/PDF/TinyPDF.shtml>
"TinyPDF 1.0.2195.1000"
"Size / OS: 586 KB / Windows All"
"Last Updated: September 21st, 2007, 13:01 GMT"
"Softpedia guarantees that TinyPDF 1.0.2195.1000 is 100% CLEAN, which
means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware,
viruses, trojans and backdoors."

The Softpedia "guarantee" has a gaping hole. In this case what you see
is NOT what you get.
<http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/TinyPDF-Download-84518.html>
External Mirror 1
<http://www.tinypdf.com/InstallTinyPDF.exe>
External Mirror 2
<http://www.realpdf.com/InstallTinyPDF.exe>
The Softpedia download links for "TinyPDF 1.0.2195.1000" produce this:
File name: InstallTinyPDF.exe
"File version: 3.3.0.885"

4. Cnet has their own copy of "TinyPDF 1.0.2195.1000". They don't seem
to have noticed it's really "MagicPDF Pro". . .
<http://download.cnet.com/TinyPDF/3000-2079_4-10744881.html>
<q>
TinyPDF 1.0.2195.1000
Date added: January 11, 2009
Download Now (1.26MB)
</q>
The download:
File name: InstallTinyPDF.exe
"File version: 3.2.0.881"

5. It looks as if there have been other versions of "TinyPDF
1.0.2195.1000" - BrotherSoft shows a different file size.
<http://www.brothersoft.com/tinypdf-80039.html>
TinyPDF 1.0.2195.1000
Last Updated: 2009-03-12
Download (1.25MB)
but. . .
The download redirects to the home site:
<http://www.tinypdf.com/InstallTinyPDF.exe>
File name: InstallTinyPDF.exe
"File version: 3.3.0.885"

6. FileForum's link also redirects. . .
<http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/TinyPDF/1190221455/1>
"TinyPDF 1.0.2195"
"(September 19, 2007)"
"(587 kb)"
There's an interesting user comment:
<q>
Chocobito
Reviewing 1.0.2195 (Feb 8, 2008)
Now this PDF Printer have change his name to MagicPDF Printer and not
have the bugs of olds version. You can find the last version here
www.magicpdf.com/
</q>

7. Google Results 1 - 70 of 70 for "TinyPDF 1.0.2195".
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=&as_epq=TinyPDF+1.0.2195&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=100&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images>

Any volunteers to enlighten the download sites about these scammers?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Feb 6, 2010, 12:24:39 PM2/6/10
Craig wrote:
> On 02/06/2010 02:10 AM, Mike Dee wrote:

>> Just DL'd TinyPDF.

> Wow. That's pretty fricking blatant. Thanks for the head's up. They're

> tucking away the freeware version here now:
>
> <http://www.magicpdf.com/product.html>

Huh? Where?

Craig

Feb 6, 2010, 12:43:14 PM2/6/10
On 02/06/2010 09:24 AM, Susan Bugher wrote:
> Craig wrote:
>> On 02/06/2010 02:10 AM, Mike Dee wrote:
>
>>> Just DL'd TinyPDF.
>
>> Wow. That's pretty fricking blatant. Thanks for the head's up.
>> They're tucking away the freeware version here now:
>>
>> <http://www.magicpdf.com/product.html>
>
> Huh? Where?

Mid-point of the page at the above url, just below their shareware
offering... I haven't checked the file's contents though.

--
-Craig

Message has been deleted

Susan Bugher

Feb 6, 2010, 12:57:43 PM2/6/10

I did see that app but it's a different description, different file size
"(292 KB)" . . . other than that. . . ;)

<http://www.tinypdf.com/>
"Create professional quality PDF files from virtually any printable
document." "586 KB"

Message has been deleted

Susan Bugher

Feb 6, 2010, 1:20:39 PM2/6/10
Yrrah wrote:
> Craig <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com>:

>> Mid-point of the page at the above url, just below their shareware
>> offering... I haven't checked the file's contents though.
>
> MagicPDFTool.exe (version 2.0.0.422)
> ClientSetup.exe
> ReadMe.txt
> ShowPrinterFolder.bat
> EnablePrinterSharing.bat
> PDFCreationDemo.bat
> SetAsDefaultPrinter.bat
> PrnShare.exe
> (File dates 2007-12-11&16)
>
> ReadMe.txt: "According to the licensing model, you are required to
> purchase one MagicPDF Pro license for each user."
> However, I presume it's free now because it's an old version.

There is a real TinyPDF "Software Version: 1.0.2195 | File Size: 600,866
bytes | Release Date: Sep 16, 2007". You can download it via the Wayback
Machine:
<http://web.archive.org/web/20071020100632/http://www.tinypdf.com/InstallTinyPDF.exe>
File version: 1.0.2195.1000
Copyright (C) 2007 Real Software Solutions, Inc
Size: 600866 bytes
File Version: 1.0.2195.1000
MD5: 2889D6F43BD16B5FB5C769842C714D05

Susan

Craig

Feb 6, 2010, 1:28:11 PM2/6/10
On 02/06/2010 09:57 AM, Susan Bugher wrote:
> Craig wrote:

>>> Huh? Where?
>>
>> Mid-point of the page at the above url, just below their shareware
>> offering... I haven't checked the file's contents though.

> I did see that app but it's a different description, different file size
> "(292 KB)" . . . other than that. . . ;)

Oh, OK. As long as you saw it then.

--
-Craig

Susan Bugher

Feb 6, 2010, 1:52:12 PM2/6/10

Yup, I did. Thanks for the reply, I was afraid I'd missed something (an
all too common occurrence).

Message has been deleted

Craig

Feb 6, 2010, 10:04:21 PM2/6/10
On 02/06/2010 05:35 PM, Yrrah wrote:
> Craig<netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com>:

>> Pdfcreator's install includes a "toolbar." It's been a while so I
>> forget which or, whether it's an opt-in or opt-out.
>
> <http://img211.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=89686_pdfcreator_toolbar1_122_1148lo.jpg>
>
> <http://img154.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=89689_pdfcreator_toolbar2_122_372lo.jpg>

OK;

So there are two points during the install at which peeps may (prolly)
want to /opt/ /out/. Thanks Harry.

--
-Craig

Frank Hahn

Feb 7, 2010, 6:17:51 PM2/7/10
Dave <nodle...@fuse.net> wrote in news:333b7$4b6da212$4831158c$23878
@FUSE.NET:

> If you have ADBlock enabled the download link is hidden.Disable ADBlock

> and a download box graphic appears.

I do and you are correct. Disabling and then refreshing the page shows a
download button.

--
Frank Hahn