AOL Active Virus Shield acting up

Bear Bottoms

Sep 2, 2007, 11:48:58 AM9/2/07
On my laptop...I kept AOL AVS to see how long they continue to provide
updates. This morning I began getting "out of date" warnings with a
clickie to update. When I click it, it says update is not required. My
signatures are out of date as of 8/31 and after clicking the update, it
saying update not required, it remains out of date since 8/31.

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website http://bearbottoms1.com

Allan Higdon

Sep 2, 2007, 1:04:25 PM9/2/07
On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 10:48:58 -0500, Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com> wrote:

> On my laptop...I kept AOL AVS to see how long they continue to provide
> updates. This morning I began getting "out of date" warnings with a
> clickie to update. When I click it, it says update is not required. My
> signatures are out of date as of 8/31 and after clicking the update, it
> saying update not required, it remains out of date since 8/31.

For me, "Update Failed: Incorrect Signature" errors began on 8/31.
I had the same problem the next day. There have been at least a couple
of posts on the Kaspersky forums about it. They are being told to either
buy the latest KAV or look for another free one.
I uninstalled AVS and I'm now using BitDefender Free Edition v10.
An AV scanner is all I want, so it should be fine for me.

--
"Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."
~ Flannery O'Connor

"The moral rot of political correctness runs deep today in both national parties."
~ Patrick J. Buchanan

http://www.theamericancause.org/

usenetposter

Sep 2, 2007, 5:44:19 PM9/2/07

"Allan Higdon" <alhi...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 10:48:58 -0500, Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On my laptop...I kept AOL AVS to see how long they continue to provide
>> updates. This morning I began getting "out of date" warnings with a
>> clickie to update. When I click it, it says update is not required. My
>> signatures are out of date as of 8/31 and after clicking the update, it
>> saying update not required, it remains out of date since 8/31.
>

> For me, "Update Failed: Incorrect Signature" errors began on 8/31.
> I had the same problem the next day.

Same here so I'm giving Comodo Antivirus a whirl.

http://antivirus.comodo.com/download.html

Okay I know it's a beta 2 version but....

bluerhinoceros

Sep 2, 2007, 6:27:42 PM9/2/07
usenetposter wrote:

>> For me, "Update Failed: Incorrect Signature" errors began on 8/31.
>> I had the same problem the next day.

I just checked with someone who has 12 of them deployed. Looked at 3 of
them at random, and they all had today's sigs.

Cheers.

Bear Bottoms

Sep 2, 2007, 7:00:30 PM9/2/07

Hmmmm, strange...my last update is 8/31 at 2:42am. I'm going to hang onto
it for a while longer to see if anything happens beyond death.

4N

Sep 2, 2007, 7:42:57 PM9/2/07
"Allan Higdon" <alhi...@mailinator.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 10:48:58 -0500, Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com>
> wrote:
>
> For me, "Update Failed: Incorrect Signature" errors began on 8/31.
> I had the same problem the next day. There have been at least a couple
> of posts on the Kaspersky forums about it. They are being told to either
> buy the latest KAV or look for another free one.
> I uninstalled AVS and I'm now using BitDefender Free Edition v10.
> An AV scanner is all I want, so it should be fine for me.

I read something about that older versions of bitdefender are good to keep
free of viruses already free PCs but aren't as much effective removing
viruses on already infected computers

Kayman

Sep 2, 2007, 8:26:14 PM9/2/07
"Allan Higdon" <alhi...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

> An AV scanner is all I want, so it should be fine for me.

You may wish to review your thoughts; AV Real-Time protection goes a long
way :)

dougs...@verizon.net

Sep 3, 2007, 10:38:31 PM9/3/07
On Sep 2, 8:26 pm, "Kayman" <kayhkay~nosp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Allan Higdon" <alhig...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

I JUST GOT UPDATES DATED 9/3/07 FROM 9:12 PM!!!!

try adding the following line to your hosts file

127.0.0.1 download.newaol.com

required two restarts after adding. one for hosts to take effect and
one for AVS to download new files.

not sure how long this will last, but every day is another day of
excellent free protection.

GesaBu...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2007, 4:10:11 AM9/4/07
On Sep 4, 4:38 am, dougsswe...@verizon.net wrote:
> On Sep 2, 8:26 pm, "Kayman" <kayhkay~nosp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "Allan Higdon" <alhig...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

> > > An AV scanner is all I want, so it should be fine for me.
>
> > You may wish to review your thoughts; AV Real-Time protection goes a long
> > way :)
>
> ***************************************************************************­*****************
> ***************************************************************************­*****************

> I JUST GOT UPDATES DATED 9/3/07 FROM 9:12 PM!!!!
>
> try adding the following line to your hosts file
>
> 127.0.0.1 download.newaol.com
>
> required two restarts after adding. one for hosts to take effect and
> one for AVS to download new files.
>
> not sure how long this will last, but every day is another day of
> excellent free protection.
>
> ***************************************************************************­******************
> ***************************************************************************­******************

what dó you mean with "try adding the following line to your hosts
file"?
i have had the same problem since 31.8. ...

tom

Sep 4, 2007, 8:36:54 AM9/4/07

I'd say it's time to accept the fact that this program is no longer
supported and move on to another AV product. It was great while it lasted
but I'm afraid it's gone. It's not free but so far I been impressed with
http://www.eset.com/index.php after using Active Virus Shield for quite
awhile.

CountS...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2007, 6:17:49 PM9/4/07

Thanks for the tip! Worked like a charm.

avi...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2007, 5:59:55 AM9/5/07

youhavebe...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2007, 11:26:38 AM9/5/07
On Sep 4, 8:36 pm, "tom" <w...@a.com> wrote:
> but I'm afraid it's gone. It's not free but so far I been impressed withhttp://www.eset.com/index.phpafter using Active Virus Shield for quite
> awhile.

youhavebe...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2007, 11:27:47 AM9/5/07
On Sep 4, 8:36 pm, "tom" <w...@a.com> wrote:
> but I'm afraid it's gone. It's not free but so far I been impressed withhttp://www.eset.com/index.phpafter using Active Virus Shield for quite
> awhile.

**********************************

MORE INFORMATION as to how do i add the host? I dont know where do i
add it or how i add it?

Would appreciate it much.

Thankz in advance

Tristan

Sep 7, 2007, 12:32:46 PM9/7/07
Don't give up hope yet :)
the probelm is with AOL ftp.
Check this out, it works!!!!!! :)
http://www.glazman.org/weblog/dotclear/index.php?2007/09/04/3781-kaspersky-by-aol-discontinuied

Bear Bottoms

Sep 7, 2007, 1:18:15 PM9/7/07

This worked. All you do is shutdown AOL AVS from the system tray and go to
the following file in you filemanager:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\AOL\AVP6\Data\aol-updcfg.xml

Open the aol-updcfg.xml file in wordpad and remove the top two lines
directing you to aol updates, save the file and restart AOL AVS.

They also tell you that Kaspersky wants you to re-enter the registration
key once a year so find and save that.