Nero 9 Lite is junk...

Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)

Jan 11, 2010, 11:15:05 PM1/11/10

It didn't quite work at all. I had no idea what's wrong. Registration?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.3

AlleyCat

Jan 12, 2010, 12:25:23 AM1/12/10
In article <higt0a$tq3$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
toylet...@gmail.com says...

> It didn't quite work at all. I had no idea what's wrong. Registration?

Someone you know has one. I'm talking to everyone who has reasons for
wanting anything Nero. I've been using Nero 6.?? forever... no
complaints!

Al

Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)

Jan 12, 2010, 2:27:49 AM1/12/10
> wanting anything Nero. I've been using Nero 6.?? forever... no
> complaints!

Have you tried using it with a Blu-Ray drive?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.3

^ ^ 15:27:01 up 3 days 40 min 2 users load average: 1.22 1.07 1.09

Daniel Menzel

Jan 12, 2010, 3:40:21 AM1/12/10
Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) schrieb:

> It didn't quite work at all. I had no idea what's wrong. Registration?

Nero 9 is very slow and you need to activate third party licenses (for a
few you have to pay). It´s crap.

Daniel

--
**********************************
* www.efmenzel.de *

Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)

Jan 12, 2010, 4:05:20 AM1/12/10
> Nero 9 is very slow and you need to activate third party licenses (for a
> few you have to pay). It´s crap.

I was talking about the basic functions (ie, Nero Express). I started a
Data DVD project, added 4G of stuff into it, then hit "BURN". There was
NO response!!

I tried to de-select some items. The Delete button did NOT work.

The project screen also had 2 advertisement panels at the bottom.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.3

^ ^ 17:03:01 up 3 days 2:16 1 user load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00

Daniel Menzel

Jan 12, 2010, 4:30:49 AM1/12/10
Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) schrieb:
>> Nero 9 is very slow and you need to activate third party licenses (for a
>> few you have to pay). It´s crap.
>
> I was talking about the basic functions (ie, Nero Express). I started a
> Data DVD project, added 4G of stuff into it, then hit "BURN". There was
> NO response!!
>
> I tried to de-select some items. The Delete button did NOT work.
>
> The project screen also had 2 advertisement panels at the bottom.

I tried it again now, it´s working for me but it takes a long time.
The earlier version (7) is as double as fast on my pc. Also
Nero 9 has some problems with a few DVD-Writers I read in a magazine.

Mike Dee

Jan 12, 2010, 5:40:39 AM1/12/10
In article <higt0a$tq3$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)" <toylet...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It didn't quite work at all. I had no idea what's wrong. Registration?

I have only one word for you, "Man-wai Chang to The Door" - and that is: ImgBurn

--
dee

glorieux

Jan 12, 2010, 6:29:55 AM1/12/10
On 11/01/2010 11:15 PM, Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) wrote:

> It didn't quite work at all. I had no idea what's wrong. Registration?

I tried the Nero 9 freeware too...better stuff out there I assume.
I've always stayed away from Nero's stuff but after a while one gets
tired of trying to find a really good, complete program. In my case, I
wanted something that handled LightScribe.
I never see (may have missed it) any reference to free LightScribe
Design and Burning apps...
Any out there?
Oooops, I'm changing the subject I guess.

glorieux

Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)

Jan 12, 2010, 6:31:27 AM1/12/10
> I tried it again now, it´s working for me but it takes a long time.

> The earlier version (7) is as double as fast on my pc. Also
> Nero 9 has some problems with a few DVD-Writers I read in a magazine.

It's a bloatware now. It's no longer the Nero we knew so well.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.3

^ ^ 19:30:01 up 3 days 4:43 1 user load average: 1.00 1.03 1.00

news.virginmedia.com

Jan 12, 2010, 6:38:37 AM1/12/10
I agree - Tried it briefly, it was poor.
Went back to the Nero 8 I PAID for !

"Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)" <toylet...@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:higt0a$tq3$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

news.virginmedia.com

Jan 12, 2010, 6:40:38 AM1/12/10
Exactly.
Nero went too far with the pay for extras crap
I've went elsewhere, and rarely even use Nero 8 now.
All because of trying to screw their loyal users.

"Daniel Menzel" <efme...@web.de> wrote in message

Duddits

Jan 12, 2010, 9:55:30 AM1/12/10

+1

regards

Dud
--
Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.

Leonard McCoy

Caesar Romano

Jan 12, 2010, 9:56:51 AM1/12/10
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:31:27 +0800, "Man-wai Chang to The Door
(24000bps)" <toylet...@gmail.com> wrote Re Re: Nero 9 Lite is
junk...:

>> I tried it again now, it´s working for me but it takes a long time.

>> The earlier version (7) is as double as fast on my pc. Also
>> Nero 9 has some problems with a few DVD-Writers I read in a magazine.
>
>It's a bloatware now. It's no longer the Nero we knew so well.

+1

I still use Nero v6

Craig

Jan 12, 2010, 12:44:55 PM1/12/10
On 01/12/2010 03:29 AM, glorieux wrote:
> In my case, I
> wanted something that handled LightScribe.
> I never see (may have missed it) any reference to free LightScribe
> Design and Burning apps...
> Any out there?
> Oooops, I'm changing the subject I guess.

Hi Glorieux;

The best freeware version I'd found for Windows is SureThing's CD
Labeler 4SE. Years ago Lightscribe and SureThing promoted this free
version but since then have tried to bury it. It's still available for
download here <http://www.lightscribe.com/files/setup.zip>. Come to
think of it, this is a last known freeware for SureThing's labeler that
I know of and it's the only place I've been able to find it.

<lightscribe.com> also has a couple of very simple apps besides. Check
out their download section. I forget how useful they are.

Other than that, there's a couple rough-hewn apps in Sourceforge. I use
qtlightscribe <http://sourceforge.net/projects/qlscribe/> to good effect
but my needs are pretty basic. For windows, there's something called
DVDScribe at <http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdscribe/> but I haven't
used it.

Even SureThing's freebie, although the most polished, I remember as
being a bit... kludgy. In other words, be prepared to exhibit some
patience the first few times.

hth,
--
-Craig

AlleyCat

Jan 12, 2010, 11:45:01 PM1/12/10
In article <hih89m$d9r$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
toylet...@gmail.com says...

> > wanting anything Nero. I've been using Nero 6.?? forever... no
> > complaints!
>
> Have you tried using it with a Blu-Ray drive?

Did you steal the Blu-Ray drive? Someone steal it for you? No? Where is
the software that came with it? Just curious.

Al

AlleyCat

Jan 12, 2010, 11:52:12 PM1/12/10
In article <oc3pk5dd82g6i1kra...@4ax.com>, Sp...@uce.gov
says...

> I still use Nero v6

Wise man once said, "If it ain't broke..."

Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)

Jan 13, 2010, 4:22:16 AM1/13/10
I was just curious whether Nero 6 could support Blu-Ray format....

> Did you steal the Blu-Ray drive? Someone steal it for you? No? Where is
> the software that came with it? Just curious.

--

@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.3

^ ^ 17:21:02 up 4 days 2:34 1 user load average: 1.07 1.03 1.00

za kAT

Jan 13, 2010, 4:24:19 AM1/13/10

He also said, it don't work on Vista, sadly.

--
za kAT

glorieux

Jan 13, 2010, 6:09:43 AM1/13/10
Thanks Craig, will take a look at SureThing and the other links.

glorieux

wasbit

Jan 13, 2010, 7:53:44 AM1/13/10

"Craig" <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks - very informative.

Seems like they've made things easier since I last looked.

wasbit

Jan 13, 2010, 7:56:01 AM1/13/10

"Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)" <toylet...@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:higt0a$tq3$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

Got to agree with the header.

I'm somewhat ashamed to have brought it to everyone's attention without at
least checking it out first.

Franklin

Jan 13, 2010, 12:37:37 PM1/13/10
Caesar Romano wrote:

I took a look at my Nero and it's v5.5. ISTR I stopped upgrading my copy
because the authors were charging for certain versions.

AlleyCat

Jan 13, 2010, 11:31:30 PM1/13/10
In article <hik3c9$ttj$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
toylet...@gmail.com says...

> I was just curious whether Nero 6 could support Blu-Ray format....

My bad... I thought you were being smart. Nero 6 is kind of old, so no,
it won't support Blu-Ray. But I'll say again... software to support the
drive SHOULD come with it. Sorry again.

Al

AlleyCat

Jan 13, 2010, 11:39:01 PM1/13/10
In article <hik3g5$uo2$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, zakAT@super-
secret-IPaddress.invalid says...

Yeah, it's a shame. Software companies make "new and improved" software,
just to make more money and support for new drives. I'm not against
that, but you usually end up HAVING to upgrade one piece of software, to
make it work with an OS that's been "upgraded". It's all about the
Benjamins. Hell, I'm still on WinXP SP2, because it all still works with
all of the software I'll ever need. Yeah, it's cool, trying out new
software and geeking around with it, but I usually end up not really
caring for it and re-ghosting the partition to make sure I've deleted
every leftover. Less software... less cleanup.

Al

Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)

Jan 14, 2010, 2:47:45 AM1/14/10
> it won't support Blu-Ray. But I'll say again... software to support the
> drive SHOULD come with it. Sorry again.

If my next burner came with Nero 9 Lite, could I ask for a re-fund? :)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.3

^ ^ 15:47:01 up 5 days 1:00 1 user load average: 1.00 1.04 1.06

Caesar Romano

Jan 14, 2010, 3:45:51 AM1/14/10
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:39:01 -0600, AlleyCat <a...@aohell.com> wrote Re

Re: Nero 9 Lite is junk...:

>Hell, I'm still on WinXP SP2, because it all still works with

>all of the software I'll ever need. Yeah, it's cool, trying out new
>software and geeking around with it, but I usually end up not really
>caring for it and re-ghosting the partition to make sure I've deleted
>every leftover. Less software... less cleanup.

+1 on that.

AlleyCat

Jan 14, 2010, 8:02:40 PM1/14/10
In article <himi72$dg$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
toylet...@gmail.com says...

> > it won't support Blu-Ray. But I'll say again... software to support the
> > drive SHOULD come with it. Sorry again.
>
> If my next burner came with Nero 9 Lite, could I ask for a re-fund? :)

Usually it's labled on the box, what software it has in it. If you want
an HP drive and it comes with Nero 9 Lite, get an LG drive. You have a
choice.

Al

Richard Steinfeld

Jan 16, 2010, 3:57:03 AM1/16/10
I have a special interest in Nero: I use the In CD module of an
old version 4. This can be installed independently of the big
Nero poo-bah.

So, this question: is it still possible to use just In CD alone
with the current distro?

It's not nice to talk about software without any explanation:
what I'm talking about is Nero's module that allows a CDRW disk
to be used similar to a big floppy disk (not completely identical
but close enough). I find this a useful tool for a writer.

I prefer the Nero implementation to that of Roxio. And I don't
know of any truly freeware alternative.

Of course, we have a few free CD burning programs that work just
fine for work with CDRs. And DVDs.

Richard

Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)

Jan 16, 2010, 5:06:41 AM1/16/10
> Of course, we have a few free CD burning programs that work just fine
> for work with CDRs. And DVDs.

Try Infra Recorder 0.50

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.3

^ ^ 18:06:01 up 1 day 7:17 0 users load average: 1.00 1.03 1.00

wasbit

Jan 16, 2010, 6:42:16 AM1/16/10

"Richard Steinfeld" <rgsteinBUT...@sonicANDTHISTOO.net> wrote in
message news:Js6dndxlq8D94szW...@posted.sonicnet...

It's certainly available as a separate download

http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html

whether it works without it's payware parent or any other burning app I
have no idea.