Michael J Hardy, his browsers and KMeleon... Plagiarism?

zynteq7

Aug 14, 2008, 10:49:34 PM8/14/08
I just noticed this new offering on cnet download.com:
http://tinyurl.com/5pwj32

and also a "Mozilla Light" browser. The Internet Spirit browser I
decided to give a try and in set up I noticed that although the color
scheme is way different, the options look about identical to K-Meleon.
Is his browser any faster than K-Melon, or is he just ripping off a
great product?

Thanks for any help on this.

Petersen, Vegard Krog

Aug 15, 2008, 3:29:13 AM8/15/08
zynteq7 skrev:

Once upon a time there was a website which listed all of Michael Hardy's
rip-off products. Longe gone by now; but I recommend you stay clear of
this scam artist.

Do a web search for his name and follow the leads.

I have personal experience with this man. Some years ago he accused me
of having stolen source code to a small game; which I had legaly
obtained from the original developer.

Regards from Vegard Krog Petersen, Norway
http://vegard2.no

Message has been deleted

Zo

Aug 16, 2008, 8:01:42 AM8/16/08
zynteq7 was thinking very hard :

I wouldn't call it a rip off since K-Meleon is open source.

--
Zo
There was a man who entered a local paper's pun contest.

Craig

Aug 16, 2008, 2:23:12 PM8/16/08
Zo wrote:
> zynteq7 was thinking very hard :
>> I just noticed this new offering on cnet download.com:
>> http://tinyurl.com/5pwj32
>>
>> and also a "Mozilla Light" browser. The Internet Spirit browser I
>> decided to give a try and in set up I noticed that although the
>> color scheme is way different, the options look about identical to
>> K-Meleon. Is his browser any faster than K-Melon, or is he just
>> ripping off a great product?
>>
>> Thanks for any help on this.
>
> I wouldn't call it a rip off since K-Meleon is open source.

Not true.

> Copyright holders who engage in open source licensing have the right
> to control the modification and distribution of copyrighted material.

- <http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/opinions/08-1001.pdf>

Decent write-up of the case:
<http://ostatic.com/170856-blog/a-win-for-open-source-licensing>

hth,
-Craig

»Q«

Aug 16, 2008, 5:09:31 PM8/16/08

K-Meleon's license is the GNU GPL, so they do give him the right to
modify and redistribute. But if he distributed his derivative work
through download.com and other general venues, he's under the
obligation to make his own source available under the GPL, and
AFAICT he isn't doing that.

I doubt he has a clue what his rights and obligations are under the
GPL. He's got a shareware game called Candy Volcano (or or something
-- I've lost the link) which he plans to make open source, but his web
page for it says the source will be licensed under the Mozilla End User
License, which isn't a source license.

Susan Bugher

Aug 17, 2008, 12:55:14 AM8/17/08
»Q« wrote:

> I doubt he has a clue what his rights and obligations are under the
> GPL. He's got a shareware game called Candy Volcano (or or something
> -- I've lost the link) which he plans to make open source, but his web
> page for it says the source will be licensed under the Mozilla End User
> License, which isn't a source license.

He does seem to be a tad unclear on some concepts. . .

Internet Spirit Web Browser 1.1.5
<http://www.download.com/Internet-Spirit-Web-Browser/3000-2356_4-10867234.html>
"This browser is a freeware Internet browsing software suite released
under The EULA software license agreement."

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Tiger

Aug 17, 2008, 1:15:31 AM8/17/08
On 2008-08-17, Susan Bugher <sebu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> »Q« wrote:
>
>> I doubt he has a clue what his rights and obligations are under the
>> GPL. He's got a shareware game called Candy Volcano (or or something
>> -- I've lost the link) which he plans to make open source, but his web
>> page for it says the source will be licensed under the Mozilla End User
>> License, which isn't a source license.
>
> He does seem to be a tad unclear on some concepts. . .
>
> Internet Spirit Web Browser 1.1.5
><http://www.download.com/Internet-Spirit-Web-Browser/3000-2356_4-10867234.html>
> "This browser is a freeware Internet browsing software suite released
> under The EULA software license agreement."

Looks like he's been taking lessons from A. A. Fussy.

--
Tiger®
Ubuntu Warrior #23550

Craig

Aug 17, 2008, 1:41:20 AM8/17/08

Too funny! Exactly what I was thinking as I was leaving the previous
message & clicking on your response! And we don't have any Tigers out
here... jus' mountain lions.

<grin>
-Craig