Free photo printing software

Sal Cappacola

Aug 31, 2009, 1:17:04 PM8/31/09
Does anyone know of good free photo printing software?

TIA

VanguardLH

Aug 31, 2009, 1:35:36 PM8/31/09
Sal Cappacola wrote:

> Does anyone know of good free photo printing software?

Your photo *editing* or *viewing* software doesn't have a Print
function?

Ron May

Aug 31, 2009, 2:33:05 PM8/31/09

You have a serious sarcasm problem. If you have nothing helpful to
say you might occasionally want to consider saying nothing at all.

To the OP, I like Canon Easy Photo Print 3.0. Not sure if it works
with other brands of printers, but might be worth a look:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=CanonAdvantageTopicDtlAct&id=8103

--
Ron M.
Help improve the ACF experience. Please don't feed the trolls.

Quilljar

Aug 31, 2009, 5:10:42 PM8/31/09
The HP Solution Centre is one of the best I have used. It comes free with
the HP printers but, I believe it can be downloaded from the website.

--
Quilly
Bookstore

http://stores.lulu.com/quilljar
"Ron May" <may...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ron May

Aug 31, 2009, 7:48:58 PM8/31/09
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:10:42 +0100, "Quilljar" <N...@home.today> wrote:

> The HP Solution Centre is one of the best I have used. It comes free with
> the HP printers but, I believe it can be downloaded from the website.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/digital_photography/free/software/index_ww_ca_en.html

George

Aug 31, 2009, 11:18:57 PM8/31/09
As far as I can tell, Canon Easy Photo Print 3.0 only comes as part of
the package of selected printers.

I think PhotoMeister is good. It has a nice slide show presenter as
well, and other features.

http://www.photomeister.com/

George

Sal Cappacola

Aug 31, 2009, 11:24:26 PM8/31/09

"VanguardLH" <V...@nguard.LH> wrote in message

It's rudimentary, by HP and 10 years old.

Sal Cappacola

Aug 31, 2009, 11:25:09 PM8/31/09

"Ron May" <may...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:35:36 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> Sal Cappacola wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone know of good free photo printing software?
>>
>> Your photo *editing* or *viewing* software doesn't have a Print
>> function?
>
> You have a serious sarcasm problem. If you have nothing helpful to
> say you might occasionally want to consider saying nothing at all.
>
> To the OP, I like Canon Easy Photo Print 3.0. Not sure if it works
> with other brands of printers, but might be worth a look:
>
> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=CanonAdvantageTopicDtlAct&id=8103

Thanks Ron, I'll check it out.

Sal Cappacola

Aug 31, 2009, 11:27:27 PM8/31/09

"Quilljar" <N...@home.today> wrote in message

> The HP Solution Centre is one of the best I have used. It comes free with
> the HP printers but, I believe it can be downloaded from the website.

Hey, I never thought of that. I just bought a brand new printer this morning
and haven't taken it out of the box yet. I bet it comes with software that
works well with Vista.

Sal Cappacola

Aug 31, 2009, 11:31:09 PM8/31/09

> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:10:42 +0100, "Quilljar" <N...@home.today> wrote:
>
>> The HP Solution Centre is one of the best I have used. It comes free with
>> the HP printers but, I believe it can be downloaded from the website.
>
> http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/digital_photography/free/software/index_ww_ca_en.html

Thanks man, I went there and am downloading it now. I plan to try a few and
keep the one I like best.

Sal Cappacola

Aug 31, 2009, 11:32:43 PM8/31/09

"George" <geor...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks George, but it doesn't list Vista.

Sal Cappacola

Sep 1, 2009, 12:24:27 AM9/1/09

"Ron May" <may...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:35:36 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> Sal Cappacola wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone know of good free photo printing software?
>>
>> Your photo *editing* or *viewing* software doesn't have a Print
>> function?
>
> You have a serious sarcasm problem. If you have nothing helpful to
> say you might occasionally want to consider saying nothing at all.
>
> To the OP, I like Canon Easy Photo Print 3.0. Not sure if it works
> with other brands of printers, but might be worth a look:
>
> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=CanonAdvantageTopicDtlAct&id=8103

There's no download button on that page.

Ron May

Sep 1, 2009, 1:22:57 AM9/1/09
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 23:24:27 -0500, "Sal Cappacola"
<capp...@invalid.net> wrote:

It's almost impossibe to see, but in the paragraph below the first
three screenshots, the last line says:

"To download Easy-PhotoPrint version 3 combined with Easy-PhotoPrint
Plus now, click here."

Click on the words "click here."

From there, it will ask you to specify your product. That's not
really critical, because you'll wind up downloading the same file for
the latest XP/Vista version. I suggest selecting:

1) Printers
2) i Series
3) i350

From there, you're taken to a page that asks for your OS (XP, Vista,
etc.) That DOES matter.

From there (and this also matters) download the non-EX version (it
only works with Canon Bubble Jet printers).

If you're running XP or Vista, the filename you want is:

eppwin370en.exe

HTH

VanguardLH

Sep 1, 2009, 4:26:02 AM9/1/09
Sal Cappacola wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...

>> Sal Cappacola wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of good free photo printing software?
>>
>> Your photo *editing* or *viewing* software doesn't have a Print
>> function?
>
> It's rudimentary, by HP and 10 years old.

Go to HP's site and lookup the support for you particular model of HP
printer. They probably have a software suite (driver + utilities) that
will include a newer version of what you have that is 10 years old.

Start at http://welcome.hp.com/country/ca/en/support.html. Pick
"Download drivers and software", enter your model, and pick your OS (not
mentioned in your post). You may only get the driver and monitoring
software in this suite as the extras are probably separate on the
install CD.

The HP Photosmart software is nothing much more than a catalog utility
with a few editing functions. You could also use Google's Picasa,
Windows Live Photo Gallery, Irfanview, XnView, MS-Paint, Paint.NET,
PhotoStudio, Paint Shop, and lots of other editing or viewing utilities
and why I asked if whatever you were using didn't have a Print function.
I couldn't think of one that I've used or trialed that wouldn't print.
Editing programs would have a lot more features than the meager utility
from HP, and they have a Print function, too.

If all you wanted to do was print, even the Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer can do that. Double-click on the image file, or right-click on
it, to open it in WPFV and then print it from there. You can also start
WPFV by running (on one line as a command or for a shortcut):

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

Then navigate to the file to open it and then print it.

VanguardLH

Sep 1, 2009, 4:30:22 AM9/1/09
Ron May wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:35:36 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> Sal Cappacola wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of good free photo printing software?
>>
>> Your photo *editing* or *viewing* software doesn't have a Print
>> function?
>
> You have a serious sarcasm problem. If you have nothing helpful to
> say you might occasionally want to consider saying nothing at all.
>
> To the OP, I like Canon Easy Photo Print 3.0. Not sure if it works
> with other brands of printers, but might be worth a look:
>
> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=CanonAdvantageTopicDtlAct&id=8103

It's called disbelief, Ron, not sarcasm. I haven't yet seen an editing
or viewing program for image files that did not have a Print function.

Caesar Romano

Sep 1, 2009, 5:32:36 AM9/1/09
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 03:30:22 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote Re
Re: Free photo printing software:

>It's called disbelief, Ron, not sarcasm. I haven't yet seen an editing
>or viewing program for image files that did not have a Print function.

He's looking for more than a print "function". He's looking for
printing "software", i.e. a program that offers far more options.
There's a great difference in functionality between the two.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Caesar Romano

Sep 1, 2009, 5:32:36 AM9/1/09
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:33:05 -0500, Ron May <may...@hotmail.com> wrote

Re Re: Free photo printing software:

>On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:35:36 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:

>> Sal Cappacola wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone know of good free photo printing software?
>>
>> Your photo *editing* or *viewing* software doesn't have a Print
>> function?
>
>You have a serious sarcasm problem. If you have nothing helpful to
>say you might occasionally want to consider saying nothing at all.

Well said.

Ron May

Sep 1, 2009, 6:27:08 AM9/1/09
On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 04:32:36 -0500, Caesar Romano <Sp...@uce.gov>
wrote:

> Well said.

Thanks.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

VanguardLH

Sep 1, 2009, 2:25:00 PM9/1/09
Caesar Romano wrote:

Your definition may not match the OP's definition. The OP never
explained WHAT he was looking for.

"I want a car".

What type of car? There are LOTS of them and "car" could mean more than
a passenger vehicle. "Printing software" is just as vague. By what the
OP said, how do you know that scanner software that immediately directs
its output to the printer was excluded?

VanguardLH

Sep 1, 2009, 3:31:23 PM9/1/09
Imposter of Ron May wrote:
<snip - unimportant content>

Poor attempt to imposter Ron May by a wannabe troll.

- Attempted to redirect a copy of any replies to a new and unrelated
group (rec.travel.cruises) to spread her flame subthread. I changed
the Newsgroups header back to just alt.comp.freeware.

- From: Ron May <ron...@yahoo.com>

Imposter can't even get right Ron's e-mail address.

Yep, the troll would prefer her post not to linger. Even she realizes
that her post has no value.

The malcontent hides behind a remailer. Doesn't match the source used
by Ron. But it did show me that gabrix is fucking over their node
list again so time to update my regex.

Caesar Romano

Sep 1, 2009, 4:54:59 PM9/1/09
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 13:25:00 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote Re

Re: Free photo printing software:

>By what the

>OP said, how do you know that scanner software that immediately directs
>its output to the printer was excluded?

I can grasp the nuances of what he wrote and intuit what he means. A
lot of intelligent people can do that.

Sal Cappacola

Sep 1, 2009, 5:02:38 PM9/1/09

Sep 1, 2009, 5:04:48 PM9/1/09

> It's called disbelief, Ron, not sarcasm. I haven't yet seen an editing
> or viewing program for image files that did not have a Print function.

Then ask questions that make sense. Yes, they all have printing capability,
but not all give you the choice of how many DPI or the size you want such as
5X7 or 8X10. I need crisp clear prints in those sizes and it's not what I'm
getting with the software I have.

Sal Cappacola

Sep 1, 2009, 5:05:11 PM9/1/09

"Caesar Romano" <Sp...@uce.gov> wrote in message

THANK YOU!!!! :^)

Sal Cappacola

Sep 1, 2009, 5:13:53 PM9/1/09

> Sal Cappacola wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> Your photo *editing* or *viewing* software doesn't have a Print
>>> function?
>>
>> It's rudimentary, by HP and 10 years old.
> Go to HP's site and lookup the support for you particular model of HP
> printer. They probably have a software suite (driver + utilities) that
> will include a newer version of what you have that is 10 years old.

I already took that route. It's almost exactly the same as the original
version, with no more functionality than I already have.

> Start at http://welcome.hp.com/country/ca/en/support.html. Pick
> "Download drivers and software", enter your model, and pick your OS (not
> mentioned in your post). You may only get the driver and monitoring
> software in this suite as the extras are probably separate on the
> install CD.
>
> The HP Photosmart software is nothing much more than a catalog utility
> with a few editing functions. You could also use Google's Picasa,
> Windows Live Photo Gallery, Irfanview, XnView, MS-Paint, Paint.NET,
> PhotoStudio, Paint Shop, and lots of other editing or viewing utilities
> and why I asked if whatever you were using didn't have a Print function.

They're all basically the same. There is little choice of the size and
quality of the pics once printed. One 5X7 will come out crisp and another
will be pixilated. Or they don't come out 5X7 but some other size regardless
of crispness. There's no function asking for dpi or "quality" for the
printed pics.

> I couldn't think of one that I've used or trialed that wouldn't print.
> Editing programs would have a lot more features than the meager utility
> from HP, and they have a Print function, too.

PhotoFiltre is good editing software but if I print through that the 5X7"
pics can be any size depending on PX per inch. How the hell do I get a
crisp 5X7" pic with 200+ DPI?

> If all you wanted to do was print, even the Windows Picture and Fax
> Viewer can do that. Double-click on the image file, or right-click on
> it, to open it in WPFV and then print it from there. You can also start
> WPFV by running (on one line as a command or for a shortcut):

Dut where is the size adjustment in those programs? The pic can come out all
crazy sizes?

Sal Cappacola

Sep 1, 2009, 5:15:40 PM9/1/09

"VanguardLH" <V...@nguard.LH> wrote in message

> %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
>
> Then navigate to the file to open it and then print it.

That doesn't exist on my version of Vista Home Premium.

Message has been deleted

VanguardLH

Sep 1, 2009, 6:44:44 PM9/1/09
Caesar Romano wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 13:25:00 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote Re
> Re: Free photo printing software:
>
>>By what the
>>OP said, how do you know that scanner software that immediately directs
>>its output to the printer was excluded?
>
> I can grasp the nuances of what he wrote and intuit what he means. A
> lot of intelligent people can do that.

You guessed. More correctly, you read the other posts. Stop taking
credit for what others had to ferret out.

Hindsight: The only perfect science.

VanguardLH

Sep 1, 2009, 6:46:05 PM9/1/09
Sal Cappacola wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V...@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>>
>> It's called disbelief, Ron, not sarcasm. I haven't yet seen an editing
>> or viewing program for image files that did not have a Print function.
>
> Then ask questions that make sense.

Read your own starter post.

VanguardLH

Sep 1, 2009, 6:52:54 PM9/1/09
Sal Cappacola wrote:

But it does with my version of Windows XP Professional. You didn't
specify any details of your computing platform.

VanguardLH

Sep 1, 2009, 7:25:28 PM9/1/09
Sal Cappacola wrote:

> I already took that route [of downloading HP's driver suite]. It's

> almost exactly the same as the original version, with no more
> functionality than I already have.

Was that before or after your post? Was it after Ron suggested
downloading of HP's Solution Centre?

> PhotoFiltre is good editing software but if I print through that the 5X7"
> pics can be any size depending on PX per inch. How the hell do I get a
> crisp 5X7" pic with 200+ DPI?

Irfanview:
- Open the image file.
- Image -> Resize/Resample menu.
- Enter the new DPI value (my original image was 300 DPI which I lowered
to 200 DPI but is rather meaningless if I select physical dimensions
for resampling the image to a new physical size).
o You'll probably want to preserve the aspect ratio unless you want a
specific size regardless of the current aspect ratio.
o Enable "Apply Sharpen" if you want to keep the pic sharp after
resizing.
- Select "Set new size".
o In your case, select inches and enter "7" and "5" (width x height).
The image I selected was originally 3.4 x 2.2 inches.
* What dimensions get used depends on whether or not you preserve
the aspect ratio. The values will change to match what is the
current aspect ratio.
* If you want specific dimensions, disable the "Preserve aspect
ratio" option.
- Click OK.

I wasn't going to waste color ink on the above test. The B&W printout
of the resized and resharpened image printed okay for me, plus its
physical dimensions on the paper were 5x7 inches. If you don't want to
change the image file itself, either don't save your changes to the file
or use the Print dialog in Irfanview which lets you select custom width
and height (but no resharpen option).

This was but one example. Paint.NET also let me resize by DPI and
physical size (and you select which sampling scheme to use for the
interpolation for the resizing). Other editors should have similar
functionality.

> Dut where is the size adjustment in those programs? The pic can come
> out all crazy sizes?

Not a requirement per your original post. No requirements were listed.

Caesar Romano

Sep 1, 2009, 8:36:04 PM9/1/09
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 17:44:44 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote Re

Stop trying to not look like a S.B.

VanguardLH

Sep 1, 2009, 9:04:56 PM9/1/09
Caesar Romano wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 17:44:44 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote Re
> Re: Free photo printing software:
>
>>Caesar Romano wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 13:25:00 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote Re
>>> Re: Free photo printing software:

>>> I can grasp the nuances of what he wrote and intuit what he means. A
>>> lot of intelligent people can do that.
>>
>>You guessed. More correctly, you read the other posts. Stop taking
>>credit for what others had to ferret out.
>>
>>Hindsight: The only perfect science.
>
> Stop trying to not look like a S.B.

Be happy. You're winning that race.

Sal Cappacola

Sep 2, 2009, 2:11:05 AM9/2/09

"M.L." <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote in message

>> I like Canon Easy Photo Print 3.0. Not sure if it works
>> with other brands of printers, but might be worth a look:
>>
>> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=CanonAdvantageTopicDtlAct&id=8103

I tried to download that tonight but it takes you to another page, then
another page, and I never found the actual download page itself.

> Canon Easy Photo Print looks very nice with plenty of utilities. I
> suggest Photoscape too.
> www.photoscape.org

Sal Cappacola

Sep 2, 2009, 2:36:11 AM9/2/09

> Sal Cappacola wrote:
>
>> I already took that route [of downloading HP's driver suite]. It's
>> almost exactly the same as the original version, with no more
>> functionality than I already have.
>
> Was that before or after your post? Was it after Ron suggested
> downloading of HP's Solution Centre?

It was at least a month ago. What the hell is this, the inquisition? :^)

>> PhotoFiltre is good editing software but if I print through that the 5X7"
>> pics can be any size depending on PX per inch. How the hell do I get a
>> crisp 5X7" pic with 200+ DPI?
>

> Irfanview:
> - Open the image file.
> - Image -> Resize/Resample menu.
> - Enter the new DPI value (my original image was 300 DPI which I lowered
> to 200 DPI but is rather meaningless if I select physical dimensions
> for resampling the image to a new physical size).
> o You'll probably want to preserve the aspect ratio unless you want a
> specific size regardless of the current aspect ratio.
> o Enable "Apply Sharpen" if you want to keep the pic sharp after
> resizing.
> - Select "Set new size".> o In your case, select inches and enter "7" and
> "5" (width x height).
> The image I selected was originally 3.4 x 2.2 inches.
> * What dimensions get used depends on whether or not you preserve
> the aspect ratio. The values will change to match what is the
> current aspect ratio.
> * If you want specific dimensions, disable the "Preserve aspect
> ratio" option.
> - Click OK.

I changed the pic from 1700X1226 to 5X7" and clicked *OK*. Irfanview saved
the 1700X1226 the exact same size!!!!!!!!!!!! The size was not changed at
all. Now I remember why I stopped using IrfanView some time back. I wasn't
happy with it then either.

> I wasn't going to waste color ink on the above test. The B&W printout
> of the resized and resharpened image printed okay for me, plus its
> physical dimensions on the paper were 5x7 inches. If you don't want to
> change the image file itself, either don't save your changes to the file
> or use the Print dialog in Irfanview which lets you select custom width
> and height (but no resharpen option).

They don't "save" anyway. The saved pic was the exact same size.

> This was but one example. Paint.NET also let me resize by DPI and
> physical size (and you select which sampling scheme to use for the
> interpolation for the resizing). Other editors should have similar
> functionality.
>
>> Dut where is the size adjustment in those programs? The pic can come
>> out all crazy sizes?
>
> Not a requirement per your original post. No requirements were listed.

Geeze, I assumed everyone cared about the size of their prints.

Sal Cappacola

Sep 2, 2009, 2:38:12 AM9/2/09

"VanguardLH" <V...@nguard.LH> wrote in message

So you just assumed I have the same version.

Craig

Sep 2, 2009, 2:41:12 AM9/2/09
On 09/01/2009 11:38 PM, Sal Cappacola wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V...@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> Sal Cappacola wrote:
>>
>>> "VanguardLH" <V...@nguard.LH> wrote in message

>>> That doesn't exist on my version of Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> But it does with my version of Windows XP Professional. You didn't
>> specify any details of your computing platform.
>
> So you just assumed I have the same version.

Vanguard;

Need any more proof that you're being trolled?

--
-Craig

Caesar Romano

Sep 2, 2009, 4:07:49 AM9/2/09
On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 01:38:12 -0500, "Sal Cappacola"
<capp...@invalid.net> wrote Re Re: Free photo printing software:

Bingo, you've figured out VangardLH's problem. It's one of many.

BTW Van, what does this have to do with you misreading the OP (i.e.
not understanding the difference between a print function and printing
software) and on the basis of that misreading posting a rude,
unhelpful and condescending response?

Shame on you.

VanguardLH

Sep 2, 2009, 5:30:50 AM9/2/09
Sal Cappacola wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>>

>> Sal Cappacola wrote:
>>
>>> I already took that route [of downloading HP's driver suite]. It's
>>> almost exactly the same as the original version, with no more
>>> functionality than I already have.
>>
>> Was that before or after your post? Was it after Ron suggested
>> downloading of HP's Solution Centre?
>
> It was at least a month ago. What the hell is this, the inquisition? :^)

Then isn't HP's Photosmart, what Ron suggested, what you had already
tried a month earlier? Or was it the old version of Photosmart that
came on the CD with the printer? Apparently there has been a change
(perhaps major) in that software; see:

http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/digital_photography/free/software/faq_ww_ca_en.html#faq0

It doesn't list what features were added in the latest version so trying
the latest version will be the only way to find out if it has whatever
features you were looking for, like resizing photo files. However, from
the other FAQs, it appears this software is primarily to store your
photos online (talks about uploading them, sharing them, and logging
into your account) so it might be nothing more than a cataloguer
utility. On the product's home page, it says "Organize, edit, print,
share, and enjoy your photos with HP Photosmart Essential". They do
mention edit so it might do some.

If you don't want to pollute your host trialing this software to see if
it has the features that you want, you might want to test it inside a
virtual machine. Both VirtualPC 2007 and VMWare Server are free but
you'll need another license of Windows to have a legitimate guest
(virtual machine) running Windows to then install this software to see
what it can do. VMs work very well for trialing software. If you don't
want it or after the trial, you just revert back to the initial state
and you've got a clean VM again and without polluting your host OS.

>> Irfanview:
>> - Open the image file.
>> - Image -> Resize/Resample menu.
>> - Enter the new DPI value (my original image was 300 DPI which I lowered
>> to 200 DPI but is rather meaningless if I select physical dimensions
>> for resampling the image to a new physical size).
>> o You'll probably want to preserve the aspect ratio unless you want a
>> specific size regardless of the current aspect ratio.
>> o Enable "Apply Sharpen" if you want to keep the pic sharp after
>> resizing.
>> - Select "Set new size".> o In your case, select inches and enter "7" and
>> "5" (width x height).
>> The image I selected was originally 3.4 x 2.2 inches.
>> * What dimensions get used depends on whether or not you preserve
>> the aspect ratio. The values will change to match what is the
>> current aspect ratio.
>> * If you want specific dimensions, disable the "Preserve aspect
>> ratio" option.
>> - Click OK.
>
> I changed the pic from 1700X1226 to 5X7" and clicked *OK*. Irfanview saved
> the 1700X1226 the exact same size!!!!!!!!!!!! The size was not changed at
> all. Now I remember why I stopped using IrfanView some time back. I wasn't
> happy with it then either.

My result was that the resized image (from 3.4x2.2) did print at the new
size (5x7). I even took out a ruler and measured the dimensions of the
printed picture.

I didn't bother saving the modified image file in my prior test. I
opened the same original file (1024x674 pixels, 3.4x2.2 print size),
resized it to 7x5 (which mean disabling the "preserve aspect ratio"
option) with the resharpen option enabled, and image immediately changed
its visual size on the screen. I then saved the modified image into a
different file.

I closed Irfanview. In Windows Explorer, I right-clicked on the new
image file I just saved to select opening it in Irfanview. When I used
the Image -> Information menu, the metadata said that image had a print
size of 7x5 (width x height). I printed another B&W copy of the image.
This one would be for the saved modified image; that is, I opened the
image file and printed it without any editing this time (to use whatever
dimensions it had when saved before). It was 7 inches wide x 5 inches
high on the paper instead of the original smaller size.

That's as much paper and ink that I'm going to waste on this test. You
wanted to see an image editor that would resize an image and print it at
that size. Worked for me.

>> If you don't want to change the image file itself, either don't save
>> your changes to the file or use the Print dialog in Irfanview which
>> lets you select custom width and height (but no resharpen option).
>
> They don't "save" anyway. The saved pic was the exact same size.

Did for me. I used the File -> Save As menu to save the modified image
into a different file and the new size changes stuck in that new file.
I tested using version 4.20 of Irfanview.

VanguardLH

Sep 2, 2009, 5:40:27 AM9/2/09
Sal Cappacola wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>>
>> Sal Cappacola wrote:
>>

>>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> That doesn't exist on my version of Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> But it does with my version of Windows XP Professional. You didn't
>> specify any details of your computing platform.
>
> So you just assumed I have the same version.

So you just assumed everyone knows your operating system.
Sorry, my crystal ball is in the shop.

VanguardLH

Sep 2, 2009, 5:41:14 AM9/2/09
Craig wrote:

In the subthread where I give a specific example of how to use Irfanview
to resize the image, and where Sal claims it won't "stick" for him, I'm
starting to see that, yep, I might've gotten suckered by a troll. He
even claimed to have tried the HP PhotoSmart software a month before he
posted but then he lauds Ron for pointing him to the same solution.

Sal's on his own now. If he can't figure out how to do it in Irfanview
with the hand-holding step by step instructions then he will need
something more than just "printing software" for his professed need for
some undefined solution.

VanguardLH

Sep 2, 2009, 5:42:31 AM9/2/09
Caesar Romano wrote:

Yes, we've seen how helpful have been your "solutions" to Sal. Might
you eventually get around to providing Sal with a real solution?

VanguardLH

Sep 2, 2009, 5:52:11 AM9/2/09
Sal Cappacola wrote:

> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=CanonAdvantageTopicDtlAct&id=8103
>
> I tried to download that tonight but it takes you to another page, then
> another page, and I never found the actual download page itself.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=331&modelid=9390

Duddits

Sep 2, 2009, 9:24:05 AM9/2/09
On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 23:41:12 -0700, Craig <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com>
wrote:
>snip trollage

>> So you just assumed I have the same version.
>
>Vanguard;
>
>Need any more proof that you're being trolled?

Amazing how much BS from Message-ID x-privat.org. I've set my reader
to mark it 'cause most/many/all? are useless.

regards

Dud

John Sisker

Sep 3, 2009, 5:31:47 AM9/3/09
Not to get mixed up in this he said - she said - troll - kill file type
dialogue, I did note that the bottom line was actually in reference to not
being able to print out an image from a photo editing/viewing program. In
this reference, sometimes, you can right click on the photo and save it to a
separate file, which can then be printed out. In addition, when the image is
up on the screen, hold down the shift key and hit PRTSC, to capture an image
on the screen to the clipboard. Then simply open a work processor, paint
and/or graphics program, and 'paste' the saved image from the clipboard to
this program, which should then be printable.

I hope this helps.

Smooth sailing to all...
John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY�
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

Franklin

Sep 4, 2009, 1:07:31 AM9/4/09
Caesar Romano wrote:

Another poster using Giganews and often active during Hummingbird's
anti-Pricelessware campaigns.

Sue Mullen

Sep 4, 2009, 11:41:41 AM9/4/09

STFU, John.

sue

Ray Goldenberg

Sep 4, 2009, 11:59:12 AM9/4/09

Hi Everybody!

You tell him, Sue.

http://tr.im/1f8e

Jean O'Boyle

Sep 4, 2009, 12:03:39 PM9/4/09

Ray, that was truly gross.

-Jean

http://tinyurl.com/5gt7

Message has been deleted

Sal Cappacola

Sep 5, 2009, 4:48:39 AM9/5/09

"VanguardLH" <V...@nguard.LH> wrote in message

Got it man, thanks a lot.

Sal Cappacola

Sep 5, 2009, 5:05:19 AM9/5/09

> Sal Cappacola wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> Was that before or after your post? Was it after Ron suggested
>>> downloading of HP's Solution Centre?
>>
>> It was at least a month ago. What the hell is this, the inquisition?
>> :^)
>
> Then isn't HP's Photosmart, what Ron suggested, what you had already
> tried a month earlier? Or was it the old version of Photosmart that
> came on the CD with the printer? Apparently there has been a change
> (perhaps major) in that software; see:
>
> http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/digital_photography/free/software/faq_ww_ca_en.html#faq0

It was older software that came with the old printer. There is very little
you can do with it. No clone tool. No boarders. I'm downloading the newer
software tonight. The connection is slow as molasses.

> It doesn't list what features were added in the latest version so trying
> the latest version will be the only way to find out if it has whatever
> features you were looking for, like resizing photo files. However, from
> the other FAQs, it appears this software is primarily to store your
> photos online (talks about uploading them, sharing them, and logging
> into your account) so it might be nothing more than a cataloguer
> utility. On the product's home page, it says "Organize, edit, print,
> share, and enjoy your photos with HP Photosmart Essential". They do
> mention edit so it might do some.

Unless it's totally revamped, the editing is rudimentary. It's mainly for
printing. I downloaded several Editing programs last night. I'll have time
tomorrow to start trying them all and see which two or three are the best.

> If you don't want to pollute your host trialing this software to see if
> it has the features that you want, you might want to test it inside a
> virtual machine. Both VirtualPC 2007 and VMWare Server are free but
> you'll need another license of Windows to have a legitimate guest
> (virtual machine) running Windows to then install this software to see
> what it can do. VMs work very well for trialing software. If you don't
> want it or after the trial, you just revert back to the initial state
> and you've got a clean VM again and without polluting your host OS.

That's a bit beyond my expertese.

I can't seem to make the conversion and preserve the aspect ratios on my
own. The pics become deformed.

> I closed Irfanview. In Windows Explorer, I right-clicked on the new
> image file I just saved to select opening it in Irfanview. When I used
> the Image -> Information menu, the metadata said that image had a print
> size of 7x5 (width x height). I printed another B&W copy of the image.
> This one would be for the saved modified image; that is, I opened the
> image file and printed it without any editing this time (to use whatever
> dimensions it had when saved before). It was 7 inches wide x 5 inches
> high on the paper instead of the original smaller size.
>
> That's as much paper and ink that I'm going to waste on this test. You
> wanted to see an image editor that would resize an image and print it at
> that size. Worked for me.

I can try it again but without the "preserve aspect ratio" engaged, how do I
keep the pic from deforming? Are you somehow converting pixels to inches?

>>> If you don't want to change the image file itself, either don't save
>>> your changes to the file or use the Print dialog in Irfanview which
>>> lets you select custom width and height (but no resharpen option).
>>
>> They don't "save" anyway. The saved pic was the exact same size.
>

> Did for me. I used the File -> Save As menu to save the modified image
> into a different file and the new size changes stuck in that new file.
> I tested using version 4.20 of Irfanview.

Thanks for all this info. I'll give it another try. :^)

Sal Cappacola

Sep 5, 2009, 5:17:15 AM9/5/09

"VanguardLH" <V...@nguard.LH> wrote in message

It worked. Thanks. I should have made myself more clear as to what I
needed and wanted in am editing program from the start. My bad.

Ron May

Sep 5, 2009, 11:19:33 AM9/5/09

This is Ron May here, on REC.TRAVEL.CRUISES
___________________________________

Jerk "Ron May" on alt.comp.freeware wrote:

>"VanguardLH" wrote:
>
>>Ron May wrote:
>>> You have a serious sarcasm problem. If you have nothing helpful to
>>> say you might occasionally want to consider saying nothing at all.
>>>
>>> To the OP, I like Canon Easy Photo Print 3.0. Not sure if it works

>>> with other brands of printers, but might be worth a look:
>>>
>>> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?
>>> act=CanonAdvantageTopicDtlAct&id=8103
>

>>It's called disbelief, Ron, not sarcasm. I haven't yet seen an editing
>>or viewing program for image files that did not have a Print function.
>

>LART sent to: ab...@albasani.net
>
>OK Good Guys, I've had enough of this troll. Killfile him.
>Report back to me.
>
><VBG>

I'll decide who to killfile.

Listen up you slimy-faced cockroach criminals over there on alt.comp.freeware,
I've had enough of you lot cross-posting your crap to this nice calm newsgroup.
We all have. If you don't stop right now, I's gonna send the biggest LART yous
ever seen. <g>

Will people on RTC please killfile this jerk Ron May on alt.comp.freeware.

<VVBG>

--
Ron M. ( rec.travel.cruises )
-Help improve the Usenet experience. Please don't feed the trolls.

John Sisker

Sep 6, 2009, 12:19:07 AM9/6/09

"Sue Mullen" <kjmu...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Sue,

While you obviously don't care, there may be some that actually do. All I
was doing was describing possible ways to indeed print out images that are
not normally printable from some photo album programs. This had nothing to
do with stepping over the so-called line, and/or treading on the waters on
the internal cliques. Sorry if you feel threatened. That is reserved for the
true trolls.

John

Ray Goldenberg

Sep 6, 2009, 12:59:07 PM9/6/09
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 01:29:16 +0200, iNcReDuLoUs wrote:

> "Jean O'Boyle" wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:59:12 -0400, Ray Goldenberg wrote:
>>

>>Ray, that was truly gross.
>

> So's the haystack on your head.
>
>>-Jean
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/5gt7

Hi Everybody!

Jean's a little pissed because I called her out for mistakenly naming
Chrissy Cruiser as Frank Camper.

Sue Mullen

Sep 6, 2009, 1:00:03 PM9/6/09

Who are you to say who cares or not I have ben on RTC a lot longer than
you, John, don't you dar to talk down to me.
--
sue

Ron May

Sep 6, 2009, 1:02:07 PM9/6/09

FORGERY

Obviously the Asshole Coward Troll Chrissy Cruise aka Frank Camper a
*MAN*. Will someone get George Leppla's fat ass off Becca for me?
--
Ron M.
Help improve the ACF experience. Please don't feed the trolls.
New to the group? Check out http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/
Try to ignore subject lines that are not freeware related.

John Sisker

Sep 6, 2009, 1:10:42 PM9/6/09

"Sue Mullen" <kjmu...@comcast.net> wrote in message

and with a lot of trolling. You may indeed care about what you say in
relation to cruises on RTC, but it was obvious you did not in regards to
this particular subject matter of not being able to print out select images.
Of course, if this was really of no interest to you, then why respond at
all?

John

Sue Mullen

Sep 6, 2009, 1:47:06 PM9/6/09

I respond to let everyone know that you are a losy TA with Lousy advice
who got caught skamming the public. I have the right to do that so I do
that

sue

John Sisker

Sep 6, 2009, 2:10:23 PM9/6/09

"Sue Mullen" <kjmu...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Pure opinions, but with no facts. However, you are indeed entitled to be
wrong.

John

NomenNeisco

Sep 6, 2009, 2:32:25 PM9/6/09
Sue Mullen wrote:

> I respond to let everyone know that you are a losy TA with Lousy advice
> who got caught skamming the public. I have the right to do that so I do
> that
>
> sue

Sue.

With no due respect, shut the fuck up. Get off your high horse and learn
how to spell. Every time you make a post putting someone down that is
full of typos and errors, you look like a pissy little 8 year old girl.

Sue Mullen

Sep 6, 2009, 3:08:25 PM9/6/09

This is Chrissy Cruiser I can tell from the fowl mouth.

sue

Sue Mullen

Sep 6, 2009, 3:09:25 PM9/6/09

Pufe fax with no personal opinions, John, Jean had you peged from day 1,
a skammer.
--
sue

Message has been deleted

Franklin

Sep 7, 2009, 5:24:45 AM9/7/09
Ron May wrote:

> Imposter of Ron May wrote:
> <snip - unimportant content>
>
> Poor attempt to imposter Ron May by a wannabe troll.
>
> - Attempted to redirect a copy of any replies to a new and unrelated
> group (rec.travel.cruises) to spread her flame subthread. I changed
> the Newsgroups header back to just alt.comp.freeware.
>
> - From: Ron May <ron...@yahoo.com>
>
> Imposter can't even get right Ron's e-mail address.

> Yep, the troll would prefer her post not to linger. Even she
> realizes that her post has no value.

> The malcontent hides behind a remailer. Doesn't match the source
> used by Ron. But it did show me that gabrix is fucking over their
> node list again so time to update my regex.

In the last few days there have been several forgeries using Gabrix.
All are X-No-Archive. I guess Gabriele needs asking once again to block
all Gabrix postings to ACF.

From: "Ron May" <ron...@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 17:17:57 +0200

From: Ron May <ron...@yahoo.com>