A new method for compressing files has been developed.

1 view

Steven W Orr

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96

I am posting this for Jules Gilbert. Any message sent to me regarding
this posting will be cheerfully deleted.

A new method for compressing files has been developed.

This method operates on a random (or apparently random) list of
integer values to produce an equivalent integer list of values. The
resultant list though, is not smaller, but larger!

The value of this method, is that the new list, although larger, can
be successfully (re)compressed using conventional Lempel-Zev compression
techniques. The value of this method is that all other compression
methods fail to recompress a 'random' list of values. But this
method recharacterizes the input random list of integer values
(perhaps also produced by application of the LZ method), so that data
can be repeatedly recompressed. In experiments, the practical limits
of this method derive from the particularities of the LZ file
construction architecture.

The original random file (of LZ input) is increased in length,
typically by about 30-50%. After re-application of the LZ method,
the resultant file is reduced by perhaps a factor of 3-4 times.

The method employs techniques which likely make it impractical for
use as a software based utility. However, it may be possible to
implement the technique using custom VLSI.

A demonstration of this technique will be made to qualified parties
in conjunction with discussions about the use of this method as a
trade secret. The demonstration format, while secure with respect to
method, has been designed to permit the participants to verify the claims
made in this note.

Interested parties may register to attend a meeting where the method
will be demonstrated. Registration can be started by sending mail to
'cof...@ici.net'.
--
----------Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana.----------------
--------Stranger things have happened but none stranger than this.-------------

Mark Nelson

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
Steven W Orr wrote:

> I am posting this for Jules Gilbert. Any message sent to me regarding
> this posting will be cheerfully deleted....

> A demonstration of this technique will be made to qualified parties
> in conjunction with discussions about the use of this method as a
> trade secret.

You know, if I thought up something this spiffy, I think
I would patent it. Keep it a trade secret, and as soon as
somebody reverse engineers it, it's public domain.

But, if I were a con artist or just trolling for my own amusement,
I would post a message just like this one from Mr. Orr.

Mark Nelson
http://web2.airmail.net

Steven W Orr

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96

Believe me when I say I have absolutely nothing to do with this. At
this stage in the game, noone I know (besides Mr. Gilbert) has
claimed to witness this inovation. The odds are likely that if anyone
does express any interest, they will be judged inappropriate to
attend a demo.

Steven W Orr

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
I feel compelled to add an additional two scents worth, implicit with
which is some sort of apology to the rest of the world.

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:30:39 -0800
From: Maynard Handley <hand...@apple.com>
To: "Steven W. Orr" <ste...@uniprise.com>
Subject: Re: A new method for compressing files has been developed.

I'd recommend you post this info to the net ASAP to ensure you are
not forever thought of as yet another huckster/loser on the net.

See ya,
Maynard

>Since you ask, I did it because I was supposed to actually be
> allowed to see this crap in operation. After the posting, I was
> told that I would
>not 'qualify' to see it work. I have now officially washed my hands of
>the whole affair.
>

>On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Maynard Handley wrote:
>
>> Then why did you post it?
>> Do you post any random crap that someone asks you to?

In article <DnG0u...@world.std.com>,

Henry C. DeBey

Mar 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/9/96
Mark Nelson <ma...@airmail.net> wrote:

>Steven W Orr wrote:
>>
>> I am posting this for Jules Gilbert. Any message sent to me regarding
>> this posting will be cheerfully deleted....
>> A demonstration of this technique will be made to qualified parties
>> in conjunction with discussions about the use of this method as a
>> trade secret.

>You know, if I thought up something this spiffy, I think
>I would patent it. Keep it a trade secret, and as soon as
>somebody reverse engineers it, it's public domain.

>But, if I were a con artist or just trolling for my own amusement,
>I would post a message just like this one from Mr. Orr.

>Mark Nelson
>http://web2.airmail.net

I missed Steven W Orr's posting. Could someone please forward it to
me if you have it?

Thanks, Henry

Arthur Chance

Mar 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/12/96
In article <Do4nE...@world.std.com> jha...@world.std.com (Joseph H Allen) writes:
> I would urge Mr. Gilbert to post his algorithm. Once it is made public he
> still has a year to patent it (or send in the form for a patent-pending), so
> he is not loosing anything.

That's true only in the US, AFAIK. Certainly here in Europe the
moment he publishes anything without having applied for a patent is
the moment it becomes public domain.

--
You cannot hope to bribe or twist/thank God! the British journalist.
But, seeing what the man will do/unbribed, there's no occasion to.