ZoneAlarm Now Treats tinyurl.com as Spy Site

Dick K

Mar 9, 2008, 6:22:07 AM3/9/08
My copy of ZoneAlarm, running under MCE2005, has recently
started to block tinyurl.com as a spy site. Previously
it allowed normal access. Is this modified behaviour now
normal and justifiable or have I got a problem with my
system? If the latter, advice would be welcome.

--
TIA

Dick K

Slarty

Mar 9, 2008, 12:14:20 PM3/9/08

The very name 'Zonealarm' is all you need to know. You have the solution,
or do you let that application control what you are allowed to do?

Dave Cohen

Mar 11, 2008, 12:15:50 PM3/11/08

No problem with the free version running winxp. I use www.tinyurl.com
from time to time.
Dave Cohen

Dick K

Mar 11, 2008, 4:50:50 PM3/11/08

Thanks for the reply. At least I now know that it's not a general
problem, I can only find one very old reference suggesting that
tinyurl might be unsafe:

http://users.tns.net/~skingery/weblog/2004/10/tinyurlcom-spyware.html

Absent any explanation I guess I'll just have hope for the best,
override the block in ZoneAlarm and write this off as one of those
inexplicable events which plague Windows from time to time.

--
Dick K

phaoloo

Dec 28, 2008, 10:49:12 AM12/28/08
> No problem with the free version running winxp. I use 'www.tinyurl.com'
> (http://www.gigglecomputer.com/2008/12/battle-between-short-link-vs-long-link.html)

> from time to time.
> Dave Cohen

You can now preview the real link behind "tinyurl" link by typing
*preview* at the beginning of the link (http://tinyurl/techarena.in -->
http://preview.tinyurl/techarena.in) or install Long Url Please
extension on Firefox. It will automatically convert all short urls to
real urls.

--
phaoloo
phaoloo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/phaoloo.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Dec 28, 2008, 11:57:53 AM12/28/08
phaoloo joined this Usenet-scraping forum today to make his first post:

> You can now preview the real link behind "tinyurl" link by typing
> *preview* at the beginning of the link (http://tinyurl/techarena.in
> --> http://preview.tinyurl/techarena.in)

You forgot the required TLDs in your links.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/techarena.in

..which still doesn't work. And adding "preview." to the links is very
old news.

--
-bts