ACF Midwest Regionals Unofficial Results

al chou

Mar 5, 1995, 5:12:12 PM3/5/95

The official stats for our Midwest Regional are still being compiled by
our terribly overworked and grossly underappreciated Sarah Bruce, but in the
meantime I thought I'd go ahead and post up the results of the informal
balloting we did. It was, in fact, very informal: we invited the players
and the staff members to make up their own categories, and the results
were pretty amusing. We tried to give out as many prizes as possible,
but in the end the bag o'tricks ran out; so I've posted up not only those
awards that were recognized at the tournament, but also all the write-in
votes that we received. Congratulations to everyone and I hope you all
had as much fun as I did.

Without further delay, the awards:

Team awards:

Most Huggable
Michigan Super Grover

Most Contentious
Chicago Hot Tea & Honey

Most Sportsmanlike/Most Fortitude Under Difficulty
Bowling Green State University, all teams (even the one that never
made it to Chicago)

Individual awards:

Most Saintly (read: Martyred)
Dana, BGSU (who had to play five rounds with only a hubcap for
a teammate)

Best-Dressed, Male
Tim, BGSU

Best-Dressed, Female
Maya, Michigan

Quietest
Rob Getz, Chicago Zombie

Player We'd Most Like to See Naked
John Sheahan, Chicago Zombie

Official Old Fart
Carl, Illinois Juice

Staff Awards:

Best Moderator
Julie Stahlhut, on loan from Michigan State

Most Huggable Staff Member
Alice Chou, Chicago

The Write-In Categories:

Biggest Booty, 5th Food Group, Most Saucy/Sassy
John Edwards, Tournament Director

Best Wrong Answer
Rob Long, Michigan Super Grover (when designated to give the
answer "Schwann," said instead "schlong")

Best Hat
Hormuzd Katki, Chicago HT&H

Best Business Sense, Worst Aim, Most Generous with Trolls, Person Whose
Clothing Most Resembled Something Edible
Alice Chou

Player Who Most Resembles the Sun in Various Respects
Joe Wright, Pitt

Best Self-Referential and Self-Aggrandizing Award Nomination (category:
Best Category)
Rob Greenspoon, Michigan Super Grover

Best Inanimate Player
Chevicus Corsicus, the hubcap, BGSU

Best Pajamas
(tie) Alice Chou & Marg Quinn, Chicago

and finally, one generous soul wrote:

"I applaud intellectual curiosity that overrides the will to power (a
perspective I lack). Thus I nominate all other players who do not cuss
loudly at an interrupt."

(I apologize if I got anybody's name and/or school wrong.)

Thanks to everyone who came to our tournament and made it fun, and hope
to see y'all in Knoxville!

Alice ("Troll Girl")
Co-Chair, Committee for Silly Awards and Minister of Penny Candy

--
Alice Chou - ast...@uchicago.edu - the Tonya Harding of academic competition

"'Your hair wants cutting,' said the Hatter. He had been looking at Alice
for some time with great curiosity, and this was his first remark."

John J. Edwards

Mar 6, 1995, 1:11:09 PM3/6/95
al chou (ac...@quads.uchicago.edu) wrote:

: The official stats for our Midwest Regional are still being compiled by

: our terribly overworked and grossly underappreciated Sarah Bruce, but in the
: meantime I thought I'd go ahead and post up the results of the informal
: balloting we did. It was, in fact, very informal: we invited the players
: and the staff members to make up their own categories, and the results
: were pretty amusing. We tried to give out as many prizes as possible,
: but in the end the bag o'tricks ran out; so I've posted up not only those
: awards that were recognized at the tournament, but also all the write-in
: votes that we received. Congratulations to everyone and I hope you all
: had as much fun as I did.

: Without further delay, the awards:

: Player We'd Most Like to See Naked
: John Sheahan, Chicago Zombie

Well, let's say that the "we" did not include me. I did not think the
player had to be there- I voted for Pat Matthews :-)

: Staff Awards:

: Most Huggable Staff Member
: Alice Chou, Chicago

Hmmm...the most huggable is the most violently deranged as well?

: The Write-In Categories:

: Biggest Booty, 5th Food Group, Most Saucy/Sassy
: John Edwards, Tournament Director

Of these, I don't know if I deserved any of them. Maybe Saucy/Sassy, but
what about Catty?

: Best Hat
: Hormuzd Katki, Chicago HT&H

Hormuzd's cheesehead hat makes an impression. Getting mocked by drunken
students at Madison a month ago is perhaps the best memory I have of
this. The vulgarities thrown to him were remarkable.

: Best Inanimate Player

: Chevicus Corsicus, the hubcap, BGSU

The BGSU hubcap was a talisman of sorts- they should bring it to all
tournaments for its power and the pride factor.

: and finally, one generous soul wrote:

: "I applaud intellectual curiosity that overrides the will to power (a
: perspective I lack). Thus I nominate all other players who do not cuss
: loudly at an interrupt."

I congratulate as well the three people I have met in my years in CB who
fit this description :-)

John

Michael F. Haynes

Mar 6, 1995, 1:37:49 PM3/6/95
jedw...@wwa.com (John J. Edwards) writes:

>al chou (ac...@quads.uchicago.edu) wrote:

>: Best Inanimate Player
>: Chevicus Corsicus, the hubcap, BGSU

>The BGSU hubcap was a talisman of sorts- they should bring it to all
>tournaments for its power and the pride factor.

I dunno, I'd half-considered putting it back on my car. :) Then again,
I'm already missing two, so how much could it hurt to just keep the third
off... Then I can just buy a whole new set this summer.

(Actually, we'd come up with some other thoughts for that hubcap, but I
don't want to spoil the potential "surprise" by discussing them on this
newsgroup. Suffice it to say that I doubt the last has been seen/heard
from this hubcap.)

--
Math/CS/Psych Major - BGSU Academic Competition Organization President
Michael F. Haynes URL : http://nether.net/~myth mha...@bgsuvax.bgsu.edu

Jeff Billman

Mar 6, 1995, 2:45:47 PM3/6/95
mha...@bgsuvax.bgsu.edu (Michael F. Haynes) writes:

>(Actually, we'd come up with some other thoughts for that hubcap, but I
>don't want to spoil the potential "surprise" by discussing them on this
>newsgroup. Suffice it to say that I doubt the last has been seen/heard
>from this hubcap.)

But I thought using it as a weapon against opposing teams was illegal! :-)

(At the very least, it's unsportsmanlike...)
--
Jeff Billman jbi...@bgsuvax.bgsu.edu Bowling Green State Univ.
All extremists should be taken out and shot.

Adam Levin

Mar 6, 1995, 6:55:31 PM3/6/95
John J. Edwards <jedw...@wwa.com> writes:

>: Best Inanimate Player
>: Chevicus Corsicus, the hubcap, BGSU
>
>The BGSU hubcap was a talisman of sorts- they should bring it to all
>tournaments for its power and the pride factor.

If BGSU is planning on coming to Lemur Bowl, I'd love to see a Hubcap-Reverend
Jim matchup, a la Colvin-Obstgarten. Of course, neither of them can touch the
Squeaky Gavel which led Brandeis to the Runner-Up spot in the 1992 RCT, but
unfortunately it has graduated.

Adam Levin, Keeper of the Gavel

Patrick Matthews

Mar 6, 1995, 11:15:53 PM3/6/95
John J. Edwards (jedw...@wwa.com) wrote:

[snip]

>: Player We'd Most Like to See Naked
>: John Sheahan, Chicago Zombie

>Well, let's say that the "we" did not include me. I did not think the
>player had to be there- I voted for Pat Matthews :-)

Well, John, in light of upcoming get-together at Smart Alex, be careful
of what you ask for :)

[snip]

Pat
--
Patrick G. Matthews matt...@netaxs.com
271 S. 15th St. #1804 215-546-1108 home

Patrick Matthews

Mar 6, 1995, 11:17:17 PM3/6/95
Michael F. Haynes (mha...@bgsuvax.bgsu.edu) wrote:

[snip]

>>: Best Inanimate Player
>>: Chevicus Corsicus, the hubcap, BGSU

>(Actually, we'd come up with some other thoughts for that hubcap, but I

>don't want to spoil the potential "surprise" by discussing them on this
>newsgroup. Suffice it to say that I doubt the last has been seen/heard
>from this hubcap.)

Hub cap pajamas? :)