Cancelled tournaments

Dominic A Ricci

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

There has been a trend in quiz bowl tournaments here in the northeast
which disturbs me. In the past two weeks, three tournaments scheduled
for April (Brandeis-6, Dartmouth-12, Yale-26) have all been cancelled
for the same reason - lack of interest. I think this says something
about the mindset of players in this area, but what that is, I am not
too certain. The common refrain which I've encountered while talking
to other members of the MIT team has been that those schools "don't
have a tradition" of holding an annual tournament. When I announced
the Brandeis tournament in practice, one of elder statesmen of the team
even said that it would not be worth going to because "they have no
clue what they are doing." For all the talk about fostering active
programs in schools which are not part of "the circuit," this sort of
attitude and apathy seems contrary to that ideal. Established schools
such as Dartmouth, in fact, are hurt by this, thus destroying the quiz bowl
community. I understand that some teams had other commitments, such as
Harvard running a high school tournament on the day of the Yale tournament.
It just seems ironic that in the northeast, where the schools are closer
together than any other region, the teams and players are not willing
to make an effort to participate in tournaments.

Dom Ricci
MIT

Mark Staloff

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Dominic A Ricci (do...@mit.edu) wrote:
: It just seems ironic that in the northeast, where the schools are closer
: together than any other region, the teams and players are not willing
: to make an effort to participate in tournaments.

From Harvard's point of view, we'll tend to send at least 4
teams to a Saturday tournament that's on the T (MIT, BU) and
a max of 2 teams for a tournament that requires a car rental.

Brandeis was on a Sunday, which causes some problems, while
Dartmouth conflicted with ACF nationals, and is also in sort
of an empty quarter as far as programs go (UNH didn't even field
a house team for the RCT, and I have no idea why none of the
Vermont and Maine schools haven't caught on yet.)

When the teams willing to travel in New England amount to
2 Harvard, 2 MIT, 2 BU, 1 Dartmouth, and maybe 1 Williams
or Yale, there's just not much you can do. Brandeis has started
playing on the circuit this year, but we still have to draw
on schools in NYC to fill a roster, and that just isn't always
possible.

Mark

Timothy J Young

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Mark Staloff (sta...@fas.harvard.edu) wrote:

: Dominic A Ricci (do...@mit.edu) wrote:
: : It just seems ironic that in the northeast, where the schools are closer
: : together than any other region, the teams and players are not willing
: : to make an effort to participate in tournaments.

Actually, Dartmouth is still trying to hold its tournament. Email
cb...@dartmouth.edu for details - I ain't got 'em. :)

: From Harvard's point of view, we'll tend to send at least 4

: teams to a Saturday tournament that's on the T (MIT, BU) and
: a max of 2 teams for a tournament that requires a car rental.

With zero funding, that's understandable.

: Brandeis was on a Sunday, which causes some problems, while

: Dartmouth conflicted with ACF nationals, and is also in sort
: of an empty quarter as far as programs go (UNH didn't even field
: a house team for the RCT, and I have no idea why none of the
: Vermont and Maine schools haven't caught on yet.)

Kind of frustrating, isn't it?
(Note to Harvard : be sure to mention the college game as much as possible
during the HS tournament - you may get recruits that way, and maybe some
people who end up at schools w/o programs may know how to get one
started.)

: When the teams willing to travel in New England amount to

: 2 Harvard, 2 MIT, 2 BU, 1 Dartmouth, and maybe 1 Williams
: or Yale, there's just not much you can do. Brandeis has started
: playing on the circuit this year, but we still have to draw
: on schools in NYC to fill a roster, and that just isn't always
: possible.

If not for this &&*^$%^ class, I'd be there, possibly with a contingent
from GW. Next year, if Dartmouth runs a tournament, I hope to make it. :)

: Mark

--
| Tim Young (tjy...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu) Geo. Wash. U. Law School '99 |
| "If we do not succeed, we run the risk Dartmouth College '96 |

AP Prince of Eternia

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

On 9 Apr 1997, Mark Staloff wrote:

> Dominic A Ricci (do...@mit.edu) wrote:
> : It just seems ironic that in the northeast, where the schools are closer
> : together than any other region, the teams and players are not willing
> : to make an effort to participate in tournaments.
>

> Brandeis was on a Sunday, which causes some problems, while
> Dartmouth conflicted with ACF nationals, and is also in sort

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last time I saw Vishnu's list of teams attending Nationals,
Harvard wasn't there. Are you/they in fact attending?

> Mark

Adam Fine
MAQT

Chuck Truesdell

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

AP Prince of Eternia (satr...@wam.umd.edu) wrote:
: On 9 Apr 1997, Mark Staloff wrote:
: > Brandeis was on a Sunday, which causes some problems, while

: > Dartmouth conflicted with ACF nationals, and is also in sort
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: Last time I saw Vishnu's list of teams attending Nationals,
: Harvard wasn't there. Are you/they in fact attending?

Harvard will not, in fact, be attending ACF nationals. I believe what
Mark meant was that some teams (such as Cornell, I would imagine) would
rather go to ACF nats than Dartmouth, and that hurt the turnout.

--
Chuck? Czuch!

| A mistake in ruling against the United States could pave the way |
|for thermonuclear annihilation for us all. In that event, our right to |
|life is extinguished and the right to publish is moot. |
| |
| -District Judge, _United_States_v._Progressive,_Inc._ |

spic...@yj.rmc.edu

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

In article <5idt07$a...@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU>,

do...@mit.edu (Dominic A Ricci) wrote:

> There has been a trend in quiz bowl tournaments here in the northeast
> which disturbs me. In the past two weeks, three tournaments scheduled
> for April (Brandeis-6, Dartmouth-12, Yale-26) have all been cancelled
> for the same reason - lack of interest.

Dartmouth is still on, AFAIK. But that does surprise me to some extent;
surely there can be at least eight teams that want to show up??!?!??

> I think this says something
> about the mindset of players in this area, but what that is, I am not
> too certain. The common refrain which I've encountered while talking
> to other members of the MIT team has been that those schools "don't
> have a tradition" of holding an annual tournament.

So how are they going to build such a tradition if they aren't allowed to
build one up??!?!?? This mindset boggles me *completely*. Are we here to
sit around and complain about everything, or are we here to play
quizbowl? I don't know about you, but I'm here to play quizbowl. Barring
that, and after graduation, I am going to try my durndest to
moderate/help out with programs in this area, quite possibly starting up
programs at other schools.

> When I announced
> the Brandeis tournament in practice, one of elder statesmen of the team
> even said that it would not be worth going to because "they have no
> clue what they are doing."

Oh, so people'd rather stay at home than play quizbowl? I don't
understand ... they haven't done anything wrong. Why not give them the
benefit of the doubt? For every H****** Bowl, there will be a Bigger
Cooler Buzzer Convocation. :)

I don't understand. For me, the joy comes in playing the game. For me,
the joy comes in playing the game to a higher level ... of taking
question writing, buzzing in and quick recall to a higher level. Sure,
there are imperfect tournamanets. Sure, these tournaments need to become
better. But how are they going to get better if we stop attending them??

I love this game. If it weren't so, I'd have quit on October 6, 1996 and
focuses on being a newspaper writer and SGA Treasurer.

But the rewards of playing in the 13 tournaments I have played and the
two successful tournaments I have directed (the HS tournament being the
other) have far outweighed the costs. There are also the intangible
benefits of playing ... I can think of a few people that are glad that I
kept at it. :)

> For all the talk about fostering active
> programs in schools which are not part of "the circuit," this sort of
> attitude and apathy seems contrary to that ideal. Established schools
> such as Dartmouth, in fact, are hurt by this, thus destroying the quiz bowl
> community. I understand that some teams had other commitments, such as
> Harvard running a high school tournament on the day of the Yale tournament.

> It just seems ironic that in the northeast, where the schools are closer
> together than any other region, the teams and players are not willing
> to make an effort to participate in tournaments.

We here in the Mid-Atlantic are blessed by programs that are enthusiastic
and interested in playing.

I look forward to actively spreading the sport around, in all its formats
(CBI, ACF, NAQT, etc.)

Although if UVA, Virginia Tech and Vanderbilt could all deaffiliate from
Region 5 ... and those other schools stay out, too ... *wicked grin*

> Dom Ricci
> MIT

Shawn Pickrell
R-MC

Mark Staloff

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

Timothy J Young (tjy...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu) wrote:

: If it's snobbery, then shame on New England quiz bowl
: players. :(

Hey, Harvard signed up two teams for Brandeis... MIT speaks
only for themselves. :)

Mark

Timothy J Young

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

spic...@yj.rmc.edu wrote:
: In article <5idt07$a...@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU>,

: do...@mit.edu (Dominic A Ricci) wrote:

: > There has been a trend in quiz bowl tournaments here in the northeast
: > which disturbs me. In the past two weeks, three tournaments scheduled
: > for April (Brandeis-6, Dartmouth-12, Yale-26) have all been cancelled
: > for the same reason - lack of interest.

: Dartmouth is still on, AFAIK. But that does surprise me to some extent;
: surely there can be at least eight teams that want to show up??!?!??

There may not be - the event might be moved to another date.

: > I think this says something

: > about the mindset of players in this area, but what that is, I am not
: > too certain. The common refrain which I've encountered while talking
: > to other members of the MIT team has been that those schools "don't
: > have a tradition" of holding an annual tournament.

: So how are they going to build such a tradition if they aren't allowed to
: build one up??!?!?? This mindset boggles me *completely*.

Not having a "tradition" is not the only factor to consider when I try to
predict whether there will be a quality tournament. Dartmouth's a good
case for this. We're talking about a bunch of guys that have played in as
many tournaments in the past few years as anyone on the circuit. They are
mostly seniors, and even the non-seniors have a good deal of tournament
experience. All else being equal I'd expect them to run a better
tournament than some teams that have held several tournaments in the past
few years. For instance, Georgetown, mostly a young team without a lot
of tournament experience outside of CBI, may have a tradition of hosting
events, but it's all they have going for them, since most of them
are fairly new to the circuit and made all the mistakes one would expect
them to make. (Not to pick on them again, but still...)

Reviews from NHAP last year were generally positive, were they not?

Are we here to
: sit around and complain about everything, or are we here to play
: quizbowl? I don't know about you, but I'm here to play quizbowl. Barring
: that, and after graduation, I am going to try my durndest to
: moderate/help out with programs in this area, quite possibly starting up
: programs at other schools.

: > When I announced
: > the Brandeis tournament in practice, one of elder statesmen of the team
: > even said that it would not be worth going to because "they have no
: > clue what they are doing."

There's a difference between a Brandeis, who just reappeared on the
circuit after a two-year absence (didn't even go to CBI last year) and a
Dartmouth or a Yale, who may not have the sort of experience MIT has in
running tournaments, but who have been around long enough to know what
good questions are and how an event is supposed to be run. I can't speak
much for Yale but I like to think I taught my ex-mates how to run
things pretty well. :)

: Oh, so people'd rather stay at home than play quizbowl? I don't

: understand ... they haven't done anything wrong. Why not give them the
: benefit of the doubt? For every H****** Bowl, there will be a Bigger
: Cooler Buzzer Convocation. :)

It might be money, or final exams, or ACF/CBI NCTs, or HS tournaments,
considerations that always pop up when the subject is April
tournaments. If it's snobbery, then shame on New England quiz bowl
players. :(