What is Scientology - A Short Course part 1

Thetaone

Sep 29, 2010, 3:55:14 PM9/29/10
What is Scientology - A Short Course by David Griffin

Part 1 - Takeover of the Church

theta -
"theta is thought, life force, elan vital, the spirit, the soul, or any
other of the numerous definitions it has had for some thousands of
years." L. Ron Hubbard, Science of Survival

thetan -
"the living unit we call, in Scientology, a thetan, that being taken
from the Greek letter theta, the mathematical symbol used in
Scientology to indicate the source of life and life itself."

"the being who is the individual and who handles and lives in the body."

"the personality and beingness which actually is the individual and is
aware of being aware and is ordinarily and normally the "person" and
who the individual thinks he is. The thetan is immortal and is
possessed of capabilities well in excess of those hitherto predicted for
man."

overt act -
"an intentionally committed harmful act committed in an effort to to
resolve a problem."

"that thing which you do which you aren't willing to have happen to
you."

L. Ron Hubbard, various writings

Scientology, the subject, is merely a collection of data, organized and
codified, concerning the mind and spirit, their relationship to each
other, the physical universe, and other beings, among other things:

"Vast libraries could be filled with the scraps of information gathered
in the course of this search. The great achievement of Scientology has
been the culling of truth from this sea of data and finding that the
truth was a tiny group of data possessed of the overwhelming power of
changing all other facts in this universe and livingness.

The Opening of the road depended upon the success of codifying this
information so that it could be relayed to others."

L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology 0-8

The purpose for doing this was to help mankind:

"My purpose is to bring a barbarism out the mud it thinks conceived it
and to form, here on Earth, a civilization based on human
understanding, not violence."

L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology 0-8

"The mission of Scientology is not conquest - it is civilization. It
is a war upon stupidity, which leads us toward the Last War of All."

L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology The Fundamentals of Thought

Being a codified and organized collection which accurately predicts
repeatable results, it can be used to create various effects, and
hence, it is a technology, like any other, used or applied to obtain an
effect or a result.

Just like any other technology however, it can be used for either
constructive or destructive purposes, it merely depends upon the
intention of the person using it, and how it is applied:

"Contained in the knowable, workable portions before your eyes, there
are methods of controlling human beings and thetans which have never
before been dreamed of in this universe; control mechanisms of such
awesome and solid proportions that if the remedies were not so much
easier to apply, one would be appalled at the dangerousness to
beingness that exists in Scientology."

"Out of the body of knowledge which lies before you are sufficient
technologies to take over, seize and handle any government or people on
the face of the earth. You aren't of an ethical level, even, that
permits you to observe this. You wouldn't think in those lines. And
yet if only those principles were known, there would be people who
could and would think in those lines. You can control men like you
would control robots with these techniques."

L. Ron Hubbard, 06 Dec. 1952, PDC 20

Knowing full-well the destructive capability inherent in possessing and
knowing this technology, the solution was releasing it very broadly,
across the society, so that the solution or the cure was broadly and
widely available to the populace before those with evil intentions
could use it for enslavement:

"When you invent the bullet before the remedy, you have to invent the
remedy under duress."

"If you release the remedy, and if the remedy is fast enough before the
forces of evil can muster their machinations and use the overt act, it
can't ever be used."

L. Ron Hubbard, 06 Dec. 1952, PDC 20

There are some however, who did not want to see man become wiser and
stronger and rise to greater heights:

"A simple and conclusive science of mind is a vital necessity in any
society which desires to become free and remain free. The only
elements in a society which would combat, or contest, or dispute an
effort to attain such a science would be those interests which desired,
by ignorance, to maintain their control of a slavery."

L. Ron Hubbard, Dianetics 55 !

At the time L. Ron Hubbard was broadly teaching and disseminating
Scientology (the 1950s, over fifty years ago) the subject was
at that time, uncorrupted... but not for long:

"We happen to be going through temporarily, momentarily, only for an
instant, a period when man has made himself relatively free by the use
of a machine."

"This era is... just before the machine is employed for his utter
enslavement."

"The reason you've got Scientology is to a large degree because it's
right here that there's a breathing period on Earth. There's a little
breathing period. I don't know how many years it is from

here to the other but you've already seen it begin. You've already
seen the second slavery stage start..."

"It became dangerous, according to the most learned of our national
political buffoons, for knowledge to be disseminated."

"...it became terribly important to them to shut all the boundaries on
knowledge. And you've seen those things, those curtains, shutting
down. And those are the shades of night falling."

L. Ron Hubbard, 08 Dec. 1952, PDC 21

For those who wished to "maintain their control of a slavery",
Scientology was a big threat, which from their viewpoint, needed to be
neutralized:

"There is only one thing that could happen to Scientology, and that is
to say that it would be buried. The remedy would be buried. If it
ever went out of sight, this world's done. All you've got to do is
invalidate it and put it out of sight and hide it, and it'll come up in
the wrong place doing the wrong thing, and mankind will find itself a
slave."

"This universe has long been looking for new ways to make slaves. Well,
we’ve got some new ways to make slaves here. Let’s see that none are
made."

L. Ron Hubbard, 06 Dec. 1952, PDC 20

Scientology actually became a very real threat to those elements within
the CIA which were experimenting with and developing new methods of
mind control under the umbrella of MKULTRA.

Published in May of 1950, Dianetics, a sub-branch of and forerunner to
Scientology dealt with the mechanics of the human mind, and was part of
the remedy before the bullet. The techniques described in that book
deal with helping another person confront and discharge painful
incidents in their past.

In 1951, L. Ron Hubbard published Science of Survival which revealed
"a carefully guarded secret of certain military and intelligence
organizations" - it revealed the process known as PDH, or Pain-Drug-
Hypnosis:

"It required Dianetic processing to uncover pain-drug-hypnosis.
Otherwise, pain-drug-hypnosis was out of sight, unsuspected, and
unknown."

L. Ron Hubbard, Science of Survival, 1951

"Now, it's fortunate that we are able to make Clears as fast as we can
make them. It's very, very fortunate. Because Black Dianetics, as
most destructive things work in this universe, could work a lot faster
than the old-time techniques."

"Creative Processing, the process of using mock-ups will flip out a PDH
without ever touching it or addressing it. Isn't that fascinating?
You can knock a PDH to pieces with fifteen minutes of processing. And
it takes longer than that to put one in."

L. Ron Hubbard, 06 Dec 1952 PDC 20

For those with evil intentions, those bent upon using this technology
to control, suppress, and destroy others (the forces of evil), the only
way to do so would be to gain control over it:

Excerpt from the "About the Author" section of the 1982 version of The
Study Tapes:

"The United States Government at this time attempted to gain control
over all his researches and get him to work on a project "to make man
more suggestible" and when he was unwilling, tried to order him back
to active military duty to perform this function. He was able to
instantly resign from the navy and escape this. In retrospect it
appears the government never forgave him for this and soon began
vicious, covert international attacks upon his work..."

Since L. Ron Hubbard himself remained out of their control, their next
option was gaining control over the organization and technology itself:

HCOPL 14 June 1965
POLITICS, FREEDOM FROM:

"...the United States government and the efforts of that government
since 1955, stepped up since 1963, to seize Scientology rather than
forbid or stop it."

[HCOPL: Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter]

The group within Scientology which was tasked with security and
maintaining a secure perimeter around the organization was the
Guardian's Office, or GO for short. They were the intelligence branch,
and being the outer perimeter, were naturally the first point of
infiltration.

One of the people who knew and worked very closely with L. Ron Hubbard
(or LRH or Ron) in the early days was Captain Bill Robertson also
called CBR. While he was still in the church, he began noticing some
very disturbing things. The following quotes are from a debrief he did
in May of 1982, after leaving the church:

"Anyway, that 1972 passed in such fashion, visiting various ports and
so on, improving PR, and trying to get the GO again to HANDLE most of
these government attacks on the OUTSIDE. But they were not very
successful at this, and we know the reason why."

"Now, those two people wrote up reports on separate lines - 'cause
Franks was Sea Org and Lynn was GO - they wrote up reports on separate
lines to Mary Sue to tell her that Michael Meisner is a Government
agent and he should be gotten out of here. He's not a GO guy. He
doesn't think like us. He doesn't act like us. He has connections to
the Government, he is trying to get the Church in trouble, etc, etc,
etc.

In other words, they EXPOSED him. They sent the things up the line.
Jimmy Mulligan stopped these communications from going to Mary Sue.
They did not go to Mary Sue."

"And so I went to Mulligan, who was the highest intelligence terminal
in the GO, he was the Controller's Committee for Intelligence. And I
went to him, I said,"I want to talk to you". (This is in late 1979), I
said, "I' ve been spotting these plants in the Organizations. I've been
reporting them to the GO and the GO has done nothing about them. Why
not?"

And he looked "Oh!" This had shocked him because it came from left
field. I just met him in the hall there, you see, and he didn't have an
answer ready. So he said "Ah...ah.., well.., if we ..if we... shoot
them.., uh..uh..uh..,they might send in others and we don't know who
they are."

I said, "That's a lie, man. What are you giving me that bullshit for.
Anybody can find a plant on a meter," I said, "That's a lie". So he
said, "Oh well, yah, ..uh.., yes..,uh..., well it was Mary Sue's
policy". And I knew that was a lie, too. Because I've done missions for
Mary Sue and I know how she feels about plants. So he lied to me twice
there."

"And that whole thing, I say, was caused by the fact of infiltration
and plants in positions in the GO."

In October of 1983, Captain Bill Robertson gave a lecture at the at
Crown Hotel in East Grinstead, England

"Now, this is the alternative that Ron started in 1974... He tried it
from within the church and he was so heavily attacked in the first two
month by government agencies. Arthur Hubbard was on this with me. We
were threatened with assassination after six weeks of promoting this
plan. We were threatened with assassination by government agents."

Jumping back to 1952 again:

"So, anybody that knows the remedy of this subject, anybody that knows
these techniques, is himself actually under a certain responsibility -
that's to make sure that he doesn't remain a sole proprietor. That's
all it takes, just don't remain a sole proprietor. Don’t ever think
that a monopoly of this subject is a safe thing to have. It’s not safe.
It’s not safe for man; it’s not safe for this universe."

L. Ron Hubbard, 06 Dec 1952 PDC 20

In the 1970s, still primarily under the direction of L. Ron Hubbard,
Scientology was pretty well dispersed throughout the U.S., Europe, and
other areas of the globe as well, and there were quite a few
independent Mission Holders who were delivering Dianetics and
Scientology at that time. There was not a sole proprietor or a
monopoly of the subject. There were lots and lots of independent
proprietors spread out all over.

By this time however, the GO had been heavily infiltrated which allowed
government plants to be strategically placed in other key areas. Once
enough plants and agents had been infiltrated into various positions
within the senior management structure, a massive purge was begun, and
eventually, a coup d'e-tat effected.

Beginning in early 1981, David Miscavige began began gaining more and
more authority, and senior management positions were being turned over
rather rapidly and the purges were starting.

In early November 1981, a small Mission Holders Conference was called
to discuss what was happening within the church, and then in December
1981, an even larger Mission Holders Conference was held.

In 1982 more and more purges took place and control of the organization
kept transferring from one group to another. On October 17th 1982, the
third Mission Holders Conference was held in

San Francisco. Here the US Mission holders were berated by Miscavige
and other staff for several hours, and three Mission holders were
verbally expelled from the organization on the spot, completely
violating written policy and procedure, and without a written order.
According to one source, there were over 2000 expell orders between
January of 1982 and January of 1984. This was also the period when
Captain Bill Robertson (CBR), still loyal to L. Ron Hubbard, was also
expelled.

When the dust finally settled, the vast majority of the independent
Mission Holders had been "kicked-out" along with those who remained
loyal to L. Ron Hubbard and the original purposes of Scientology, and
control of the organization was centralized in the hands of a new
"International Management" under the control of some secretive
corporations. One of those corporations is RTC - Religious Technology
Center, and the Chairman of the Board (COB) of that corporation is
David Miscavige. The other, more secretive corporation is the Church
of Spiritual Technology or CST, also doing business as the "L. Ron
Hubbard Library".

From that point forward, the organization has been under the control of
just a handful of people.

The "Church of Spiritual Technology" was co-founded by, among others:

Mead Emory, former Assistant to the Commissioner of the IRS
not a Scientologist

Sherman Lenske, attorney, not a Scientologist

Leon Misterek, attorney, not a Scientologist

Following is a post I did recently regarding the definition of a
Scientologist.

From: Thetaone <thet...@icehouse.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:17:50 -0800
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Why was the definition of a Scientologist changed?

Why was the definition of a Scientologist changed?

New version:
“One who knows he has found the way to a better life through
Scientology and who, through Scientology books, tapes, training and
processing, is actively attaining it.”

Older LRH version:
"one who betters the conditions of himself and the conditions of others
using Scn technology"

Hmmm...

Do you suppose DM and his lawyers have "found the way to a better life"?

New version:
“One who knows he has found the way to a better life through
Scientology and who, through Scientology books, tapes, training and
processing, is actively attaining it.”

Here's my original post for reference

From: Thetaone <thet...@icehouse.net>
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: What is a Scientologist?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 06:40:18 -0800

What is a Scientologist?

Recently, while doing a little exploring on the web, I came across the
following definition:

“One who knows he has found the way to a better life through
Scientology and who, through Scientology books, tapes, training and
processing, is actively attaining it.”

It was posted on the blog of someone who claimed to have gotten into
Scientology in the summer of 2004, and though it was in quotes as shown
above, there was no attribution or reference cited.

=====================================

That's a far cry from the definition I have known and used for over 25
years now. Below is definition #1 from the copyright 1975 and 1978 by
L. Ron Hubbard version of the Dianetics and Scientology Technical
Dictionary, reprinted in 1989, taken from the UK Auditor Magazine 73.

Scientologist: "one who betters the conditions of himself and the
conditions of others using Scn technology"

There are three other definitions below the first, but none of them
match the one I recently found on the web.

So, according to the original definition, found in my copyright L. Ron
Hubbard (not RTC) dictionary, there are two requisites:

1. That you are BETTERING the conditions of yourself AND others;
2. That you are using Scientology technology to do so.

"one who betters the conditions of himself and the conditions of others
using Scn technology"

Seems simple enough.

Now, let's look at what it isn't.

If someone is using Scientology technology as a weapon; as a means to
suppress others; as a tool of intimidation, duress, covert manipulation
and control, enforced behavior or thinking, etc., then clearly, that
person is NOT being a Scientologist.

It doesn't matter who they are, what titles, awards, medals,
certificates, or other trappings of office, legitimacy, or authority
they clothe themselves in, award themselves, or surround themselves
with, if they are making conditions worse by their actions, then that
person is NOT being a Scientologist.

"Scientology will decline, and become useless to man, on the day when
it becomes the master of thinking. Don’t think it won’t do that. It has
every capability in it of doing that."

"This universe has long been looking for new ways to make slaves. Well,
we’ve got some new ways to make slaves here. Let’s see that none are
made."

L. Ron Hubbard, Dec. 1952, PDC 20

=====================================

The original definition of Scientologist from Ron, also says nothing
about being a part of some particular organization or group, or being
condoned, sanctioned, approved, or accepted by some particular group or
authority figure, self-proclaimed or otherwise, or holding some special
rank or office or position within some hierarchy.

It also says nothing about "being a good soldier", "following orders",
and "doing what your are told". That is the way to make slaves.

Anyone who has studied basic Admin tech knows that Goals and Purposes
are at the top of the Admin Scale, and Orders are at the very bottom.

"And anyone who then says Scientology is something else is forgetting
this intention. What is the intention of this? It is not to make people
tractable, it is not to make people civilized, it's not to make people
tame. It's to make mankind, as a whole, a much better race! That's its
intention. Only it means it with an exclamation point.

So that anybody it treats, it treats people to make them better, more
able human beings. That's its purpose. That's its intention - not to
make them tamer human beings or better-adjusted human beings or
something of the sort. Because you'll never get a race anyplace by
adjusting everybody..."

L. Ron Hubbard, March 1952, HCL 5

=====================================

There are some who have sought domination and control of this subject
and technology, as, just like any other technology, it can be used for
constructive or destructive purposes. However this technology is
unique in that it deals with the very basics of the mind and the
spirit. How the mind is constructed, it's operation and function, how
it affects the being, etc.

Naturally, those who seek the domination and control of other beings,
would be drawn to this subject like a moth to flame. They would seek to
exert overriding control of the subject and technology, use it to
control and dominate others, exclude others from having and using it
properly (for constructive purposes), and begin the insidious process
of corrupting and ultimately destroying it.

"Don’t ever think that a monopoly of this subject is a safe thing to
have. It’s not safe. It’s not safe for man; it’s not safe for this
universe."

L. Ron Hubbard, Dec. 1952, PDC 20

As evidenced by his early statements, Ron knew exactly what was coming.

And he prepared for it.

To be continued...