Oldest Christian Church in Nth America found: Guess what? Its Orthodox. :-)

Fr. James

Aug 13, 2009, 8:51:06 PM8/13/09
http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf

In the stillness of Cockaponset State Forest, southern Connecticut,
near the town of Guilford, masterfully carved from solid rock, stands
North America’s oldest Christian church. Recent epigraphic evidence
found here suggests that it is 1500 years old, and linked to a voyage
of Christian Byzantine monks who fled from North Africa during the 5th
Century, in the wake of the Vandal invasions. Greek and
North African inscriptions, Greek cupule patterns in the form of
Chrismons (monograms of Christ), baptismal fonts, a cathedra or
throne, candelabras and an altar have been found at the site. These
items indicate that it was a place of worship,.....more at:

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf

Are you concerned about not being in the Church which Christ founded
through His Apostles and rather in a man made denomination? If so
contact your nearest Orthodox Christian Church and make an
appointment
to speak to the serving priest who will be able to guide your path
into the Church Christ founded and answer those perplexing questions
that you thought you had all worked out. :-)

For those in Northern/Eastern Australia, (Queensland, Northern
Territoty, N.S.W.) I am happy to assist either in person or via email
at:

fatherjamesATymail.com

peace and grace,

James+
servant

gladys swager

Aug 13, 2009, 9:09:37 PM8/13/09
On Aug 14, 10:51 am, "Fr. James" wrote:
> http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf

Were you formerly Athanasius who posted to me over a period of time
some years ago?
> http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf

It is not a matter of which church claims priority in time;
it is a matter of following the New Testamant teachings

For by grace are we saved through faith, and that not of ourselves,
it is the gift of God, Not of works lest anyone should boast.
Ephesians 2 : 8 - 9
We are now in a literate age, the Bible is printed in many languages
of the world. That must mean that the formalities of the Christian
faith need to change, but the truth of the Christian faith will not
change,
Gladys Swager

Fr. James

Aug 13, 2009, 9:20:25 PM8/13/09
On Aug 14, 11:09 am, gladys swager <swa...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> On Aug 14, 10:51 am, "Fr. James"  wrote:>http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf
>
> Were you formerly Athanasius who posted to me over a period of time
> some years ago?>http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf

Yes Gladys that me. :-)

> It is not a matter of which church claims priority in time;
> it is a matter of following the New Testamant teachings

Not according to the New Testament:

Jude 1:3
"Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our
common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you
to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to
the saints." and

Galatians 1:9
As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any
other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

As for the following verse, as always with those who misquote the
Bible to twist it to their own destruction you -forgot- to include
verse 10 which completes the -Christian- idea of salvation:

> For by grace are we saved through faith, and that not of ourselves,
> it is the gift of God, Not of works lest anyone should boast.
>                                               Ephesians 2 : 8 - 9

Ephesians 2:10
10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

The grace which saves through walks in the works of God.

By the way Gladys you do not have that "faith" anyway, it includesd
"faith" in God's works at Baptism, Chrismation and the Holy Eucharist,
all to name but a few in which you have -no- faith.

> We are now in a literate age, the Bible is printed in many languages
> of the world. That must mean that the formalities of the Christian
> faith need to change, but the truth of the Christian faith will not
> change,

Irrelevant, Wherever Christian Orthodox missionaries went, literacy
followed as well as the Bible in the venacular, google the Slavic
translations late first millenium when the people of Ukraine and Rus
were converted by Orthodox missionaries. Translations of the Bible in
the linga franca followed. Your false attack has nothing to do with
the Church Christ founded.

Are you concerned about not being in the Church which Christ founded
through His Apostles and rather in a man made denomination? If so
contact your nearest Orthodox Christian Church and make an
appointment to speak to the serving priest who will be able to guide
your path
into the Church Christ founded and answer those perplexing questions
that you thought you had all worked out. :-)

For those in Northern/Eastern Australia, (Queensland, Northern
Territoty, N.S.W.) I am happy to assist either in person or via email
at:

fatherjamesATymail.com

peace and grace,

James+
Servant.

Chuck

Aug 14, 2009, 2:15:25 AM8/14/09

"Fr. James" <fathe...@ymail.com> wrote in message
http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf

In the stillness of Cockaponset State Forest, southern Connecticut,
near the town of Guilford, masterfully carved from solid rock, stands
North America�s oldest Christian church. Recent epigraphic evidence
found here suggests that it is 1500 years old, and linked to a voyage
of Christian Byzantine monks who fled from North Africa during the 5th
Century, in the wake of the Vandal invasions. Greek and
North African inscriptions, Greek cupule patterns in the form of
Chrismons (monograms of Christ), baptismal fonts, a cathedra or
throne, candelabras and an altar have been found at the site. These
items indicate that it was a place of worship,.....more at:

Chuck: I saw a cloud shaped just like an airplane once!

r m

Aug 14, 2009, 2:50:28 AM8/14/09
On Aug 14, 11:20 am, "Fr. James" <fatherja...@ymail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 14, 11:09 am, gladys swager <swa...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 14, 10:51 am, "Fr. James" wrote:>http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf
>
> > Were you formerly Athanasius who posted to me over a period of time
> > some years ago?>http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf
>
> Yes Gladys that me. :-)

What!!!!! ........ a name change !!!!!!!!!?????????

What happened to the old one ?

Still wearing black? or can you add some colour bits to it ? :-)

Roy

Dr. House

Aug 14, 2009, 3:23:18 AM8/14/09
On Aug 13, 6:09 pm, gladys swager <swa...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> On Aug 14, 10:51 am, "Fr. James"  wrote:>http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf
>
> Were you formerly Athanasius who posted to me over a period of time
> some years ago?>http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf
>
> It is not a matter of which church claims priority in time;
> it is a matter of following the New Testamant teachings

Why is that?

> For by grace are we saved through faith, and that not of ourselves,
> it is the gift of God, Not of works lest anyone should boast.
>                                               Ephesians 2 : 8 - 9
> We are now in a literate age, the Bible is printed in many languages
> of the world. That must mean that the formalities of the Christian
> faith need to change, but the truth of the Christian faith will not
> change,

So Jesus won't be elected or appointed as God? Perhaps Trinity won't
be invented or added to the Bible. Boy it would be great it such
things didn't change over time.

gladys swager

Aug 14, 2009, 4:02:11 AM8/14/09
On Aug 14, 11:20 am, "Fr. James" wrote:

> On Aug 14, 11:09 am, gladys swager wrote:
>
> > It is not a matter of which church claims priority in time;
> > it is a matter of following the New Testamant teachings
>
> Not according to the New Testament:
How many of the heresies decreed from 310AD by the RC Church
did the Orthodox Church keep in the Great Schism of 1045AD?
I haven't investigated that as yet?
Gladys Swager

Fr. James

Aug 14, 2009, 4:37:16 AM8/14/09

You know why you haven't investigated it yet? Because you have not yet
even investigated the "Christian Faith" let alone the heresies from
those who left it, of which you possess a score or more.

I note you snipped the Bible verses I quoted asnd did not deal with
them, which is sorta standard for someone confused as you are.

James+
Servant

Fr. James

Aug 14, 2009, 4:54:26 AM8/14/09
On Aug 14, 4:50 pm, r m <roym...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 14, 11:20 am, "Fr. James" <fatherja...@ymail.com> wrote:

> > > Were you formerly Athanasius who posted to me over a period of time
> > > some years ago?>http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf
>
> > Yes Gladys that me. :-)
>
> What!!!!!  ........ a name change !!!!!!!!!?????????
>
> What happened to the old one ?
>
> Still wearing black? or can you add some colour bits to it ?  :-)
>
> Roy

Hey Roy, good to see you again. The name change is both a Biblical and
Christian Orthodox Tradition.

The Deacon Athanasius is now the Priest (Presbyter, Elder, Father [all
Christian references] which mean the same thing) James.

At each level of the Priesthood, it is possible for ones name to be
changed. Some monastics who are elevated through to Bishop and then
Patriarch may have three or four Christian names during their lives.

Great to see you are still posting, hope you and yours are all in good
health.

Peace and grace

James+
Servant.

Jani

Aug 16, 2009, 11:15:25 AM8/16/09

theo

Aug 20, 2009, 2:49:06 AM8/20/09
On Aug 14, 4:54 pm, "Fr. James" <fatherja...@ymail.com> wrote:

> Hey Roy, good to see you again. The name change is both a Biblical and
> Christian Orthodox Tradition.
>
> The Deacon Athanasius is now the Priest (Presbyter, Elder, Father [all
> Christian references] which mean the same thing) James.
>
> At each level of the Priesthood, it is possible for ones name to be
> changed. Some monastics who are elevated through to Bishop and then
> Patriarch may have three or four Christian names during their lives.

Give my regards to Greg.

Theo

Fr. James

Aug 20, 2009, 2:53:59 AM8/20/09
On Aug 20, 4:49 pm, theo <t...@bekkers.com.au> wrote:

> Give my regards to Greg.
>
> Theo

Hey Theo, hope you and yours are in good health.

Peace,

James+

r m

Aug 20, 2009, 3:27:16 AM8/20/09

Fr. James wrote:

> > > Yes Gladys that me. :-)
> >
> > What!!!!! ........ a name change !!!!!!!!!?????????
> >
> > What happened to the old one ?
> >
> > Still wearing black? or can you add some colour bits to it ? :-)
> >
> > Roy
>
> Hey Roy, good to see you again. The name change is both a Biblical and
> Christian Orthodox Tradition.
>
> The Deacon Athanasius is now the Priest (Presbyter, Elder, Father [all
> Christian references] which mean the same thing) James.
>
> At each level of the Priesthood, it is possible for ones name to be
> changed. Some monastics who are elevated through to Bishop and then
> Patriarch may have three or four Christian names during their lives.

thnx muchly :-)

> Great to see you are still posting, hope you and yours are all in good
> health.

In good health AFAIK ........ no see doctors, no meds for anything .

How's Newcastle? Any more ships grounding themselves?

Cheers.

Fr. James

Aug 20, 2009, 4:46:33 AM8/20/09

I'm up in Queensland now, with my large family serving a parish church
nth of Brissie.

Still wearing black

Peace.

James+
Servant

r m

Aug 20, 2009, 7:38:28 AM8/20/09

That reminds me of the clergy fashion parade Felllini put together in
Roma http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhXJwZlY-6I :-)

> Peace.

Yea. Verily.

> James+
> Servant

Ken Smith

Aug 27, 2009, 12:53:40 AM8/27/09
"Fr. James" <fathe...@ymail.com> writes:

>On Aug 14, 11:09=A0am, gladys swager <swa...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>> On Aug 14, 10:51=A0am, "Fr. James" =A0wrote:>http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/=

>general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf
>>
>> Were you formerly Athanasius who posted to me over a period of time

>> some years ago?>http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-cent=
>ury-church.pdf

>Yes Gladys that me. :-)
>>
>> It is not a matter of which church claims priority in time;
>> it is a matter of following the New Testamant teachings

>Not according to the New Testament:

>Jude 1:3
>"Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our
>common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you
>to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to
>the saints." and

>Galatians 1:9
>As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any
>other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

>As for the following verse, as always with those who misquote the
>Bible to twist it to their own destruction you -forgot- to include
>verse 10 which completes the -Christian- idea of salvation:

>> For by grace are we saved through faith, and that not of ourselves,
>> it is the gift of God, Not of works lest anyone should boast.

>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
>=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Ephesians 2 : 8 - 9

>Ephesians 2:10
>10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works,
>which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

Thanks for reminding us of that verse, Father James.
So often conservative Christians such as Gladys don't see that good
works are, as recorded in the NT book of James (or Jacob), evidence of
our faith -- "Faith without works is dead".

--
Dr Ken Smith - Christian, husband, unpaid mathematician, skeptic, ...
`The wild dogs and the wild pigs, and the cattle, and the wallabies stood in a

Ken Smith

Aug 27, 2009, 12:56:37 AM8/27/09
gladys swager <swa...@ozemail.com.au> writes:

>On Aug 14, 11:20=A0am, "Fr. James" wrote:

>> On Aug 14, 11:09=A0am, gladys swager wrote:
>>
>> > It is not a matter of which church claims priority in time;
>> > it is a matter of following the New Testamant teachings
>>
>> Not according to the New Testament:
>How many of the heresies decreed from 310AD by the RC Church
>did the Orthodox Church keep in the Great Schism of 1045AD?
>I haven't investigated that as yet?

This is a new one on me, Gladys.
Can you provide a source -- an original source, from the writings of
the time -- listing what you call "heresies" ?

>Gladys Swager

Salaam
Ken Smith