Help! Can not log off AIM service with Cell Phone!!!!! Another T-Mo nightmare

Bruce Markowitz

Jan 2, 2004, 11:28:26 PM1/2/04
I made the mistake of logging on AIM from my new Samsung E105 phone
Now the AIM systems sees me on line no matter whether the phone is
logged onto AIM or not
In fact, It sees me on line even when the phone is physically turned
off
Problem is. each time I sign onto AOL from my PC, or anytime someone
sends me an IM, I get a text message on the phone, which I can not
seem to block!
So far, 500 text messages in two weeks. 5 cents each, this is starting
to add up.
And I can't prevent it, since my screen name appears on line 24/7, and
if someone tries to IM me I get an unblockable text message.
I have spent over 7 hours on the phone with T-Mobile and AOL, and no
one seems to have a clue what to do about this!
Anyone????????????

Mike

Jan 3, 2004, 12:33:40 AM1/3/04
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 04:28:26 GMT, sco...@worldnet.att.net (Bruce
Markowitz) wrote:

>And I can't prevent it, since my screen name appears on line 24/7, and
>if someone tries to IM me I get an unblockable text message.

A thought - do you have the AIM PC client? Log in with the PC... if I
remember right, it SHOULD "kick off" your stuck login via the phone,
and when you log out of the PC, you should be offline with AIM.

Mike

Adam Bailey

Jan 3, 2004, 1:04:08 AM1/3/04
In article <hvkcvvo52eij3aeb3...@4ax.com>, Mike
<inund...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Not anymore...AIM now supports simultaneous AIM logins.

--
Adam Bailey | Chicago, Illinois
ad...@lull.org | Finger/Web for PGP

Bruce Markowitz

Jan 3, 2004, 1:41:02 AM1/3/04
Nope, it just sends another message that I'm logged in three times!

DevilsPGD

Jan 3, 2004, 4:16:37 AM1/3/04
In message <<3ff6467d...@news-server.optonline.net>>
sco...@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Markowitz) did ramble:

Stupid question perhaps, but did you try logging in to AIM again, and
choose the "Logout" option.

--
Just sit through this NRA meeting Marge, and if you still don't think guns are great then we'll argue some more.

Steven J Sobol

Jan 3, 2004, 12:50:45 PM1/3/04
Mike <inund...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>And I can't prevent it, since my screen name appears on line 24/7, and
>>if someone tries to IM me I get an unblockable text message.
>
> A thought - do you have the AIM PC client? Log in with the PC... if I
> remember right, it SHOULD "kick off" your stuck login via the phone,
> and when you log out of the PC, you should be offline with AIM.

Heh... not anymore.

I was logged on from Chicago over my PC *and* my Verizon cell phone *and*
Trillian. (i.e. on my cell, AND on the PC using Trillian, AND on the PC
using the AOL IM client). Just to see if I could do it... now, when you log
on from multiple locations, the places where you're already logged on get
notified that you're on at another location, and when someone IM's you, all
locations get the IM.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services
22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950

Bruce Markowitz

Jan 3, 2004, 4:53:31 PM1/3/04
Been there, done that.
That's the problem, it is logged out on the phone, but not on the
system

Bruce Markowitz

Jan 3, 2004, 4:54:21 PM1/3/04
Thanks for trying, but we are way beyond that.
The phone IS logged out, but the system won't take it off line.
Done every possible phone trick, none work

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 06:01:00 -0500, "Jack D. Russell, Sr."
<jackru$$el...@notmail.com> wrote:

>This manual is for a Samsung X105 with T-Mobile but the steps should be
>the same for your model. See
>http://mymobile.aol.com/portal/im/pdfs/tmobile/AIM_SAMSUNG-X105_UG_tmobile.pdf
>for the commands needed to sign-out. BTW...I use the Yahoo mobile
>messenger. Much simpler IMHO. Good luck.
>
> BM> I made the mistake of logging on AIM from my new Samsung E105 phone
> BM> Now the AIM systems sees me on line no matter whether the phone is
> BM> logged onto AIM or not
> BM> In fact, It sees me on line even when the phone is physically
> BM> turned off
> BM> Problem is. each time I sign onto AOL from my PC, or anytime
> BM> someone sends me an IM, I get a text message on the phone, which I
> BM> can not seem to block!
> BM> So far, 500 text messages in two weeks. 5 cents each, this is
> BM> starting to add up.
> BM> And I can't prevent it, since my screen name appears on line 24/7,
> BM> and if someone tries to IM me I get an unblockable text message.
> BM> I have spent over 7 hours on the phone with T-Mobile and AOL, and
> BM> no one seems to have a clue what to do about this!
> BM> Anyone????????????
>
>--
>Jack

Bruce Markowitz

Jan 3, 2004, 4:55:23 PM1/3/04
And THAT is exactly the point, the account is ALWAYS on line even tho
the phone is off line, and all those notices and IM's come to the
phone as text messages that they are charging me for - even if the
damn phone is OFF!

Steven J Sobol

Jan 3, 2004, 5:57:26 PM1/3/04
Bruce Markowitz <sco...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> And THAT is exactly the point, the account is ALWAYS on line even tho
> the phone is off line, and all those notices and IM's come to the
> phone as text messages that they are charging me for - even if the
> damn phone is OFF!

According to what I've read @AOL's site it'll time out after 26 hours of
inactivity - but I very strongly suggest what the previous poster suggested,
that you go to www.aim.com and read the docs for your carrier.

I'd offer advice, but my wireless AIM usage is on Verizon via SMS.

Steven J Sobol

Jan 3, 2004, 5:57:51 PM1/3/04
Bruce Markowitz <sco...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Been there, done that.
> That's the problem, it is logged out on the phone, but not on the
> system

What do T-Mobile and AOL tech support say?

Bruce Markowitz

Jan 4, 2004, 1:34:40 AM1/4/04
MUCH double talk
T-Mo says I have to pay for the messages
We'll see about that

DevilsPGD

Jan 4, 2004, 5:18:56 AM1/4/04
In message <<3ff73b81...@news-server.optonline.net>>

sco...@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Markowitz) did ramble:

>Been there, done that.

>That's the problem, it is logged out on the phone, but not on the
>system

Try going online (mobile) and setting yourself away... That might help,
especially if your desktop is connected and not away. In any event the
mobile one should time out eventually, but the goal is still to stop the
messages ASAP.

--
A cheap shot is a terrible thing to waste.

John S.

Jan 4, 2004, 7:15:04 AM1/4/04
>And THAT is exactly the point, the account is ALWAYS on line even tho
>the phone is off line, and all those notices and IM's come to the
>phone as text messages that they are charging me for - even if the
>damn phone is OFF!

My phone has a menu option to "Log Off". I simply log off and don't have the
problem that you are describing.

Of course when I discovered the 5¢ a message (both ways) charge, I loggeed off
and stayed off.

--
John S.

Bruce Markowitz

Jan 4, 2004, 11:32:16 PM1/4/04
Around the time I noticed that the phone was off line, I had grabbed
an old machine with AOL 3.0 and signed on. That "may" have been what
knocked me off line, or maybe AOL did it.
I logged back in with the phone (I know, don't say it) and logged back
off and it worked, whatever that means.
Sounds like AOL purged the system.