7210 - how long first-charge?

Sune

Apr 17, 2003, 5:46:46 AM4/17/03
Hi!

Heard numerous things... But how long should I charge it the first time?

--
Sune Alexandersen
www.suneworld.com

Mike Bradley

Apr 16, 2003, 10:09:23 PM4/16/03
Sune wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Heard numerous things... But how long should I charge it the first
> time?

Give it 14-16 hours just to be sure

--
Customize your Nokia Phone with LogoManager
http://www.logomanager.co.uk

Ron

Apr 17, 2003, 1:47:39 AM4/17/03
Read the manual. I charge my new 7250 for 4 hours the first time, let it run
out completely, charge it again for 4 hours the second time and let it run
out again. I do this 3-4 times after which I charge it at any time I choose.
Nowadays new phones do not require 12+ hours initial charging time.

"Sune" <sunerR_E_M...@suneworld.com> wrote in message

Mike Bradley

Apr 17, 2003, 8:14:28 AM4/17/03
Ron wrote:
> Read the manual. I charge my new 7250 for 4 hours the first time, let
> it run out completely, charge it again for 4 hours the second time
> and let it run out again. I do this 3-4 times after which I charge it
> at any time I choose. Nowadays new phones do not require 12+ hours
> initial charging time.

That's what I did with my original 7210/battery and the battery life ended
up about 2 days after settling down. When I got it replaced, I did it for
14 hours (as recommended by the guys at Nokia) and it works fine, 7 or 8
days. The first one might have been a dud, but there is nothing to lose by
giving it the full whack on the first charge.

R.B. Fisher

Apr 17, 2003, 1:15:31 PM4/17/03
So what's wrong with the following?

Ok, here's the story on batteries...

It depends on the type of battery as to how best to charge it.

Assuming it's a Lithium Polymer or Lithium Ion battery (you can check this
on the back of the battery as it'll say Li-Pol or Li-Ion) then you simply
need to ensure that the first three times you use the battery make sure you
do complete charge/discharge cycles. By this I mean completely charge the
battery (i.e. plug the charger into your phone and charge it until the phone
says the battery is full) and then use the phone as normal but make sure
that the phone has ran completely out of power (to the point that it
switches off) before you charge it again. Once you've done this cycle three
times you'll have a good working battery and you don't need to repeat this
cycle again afterwards. Lithium batteries shouldn't be completely discharged
normally as this (despite what other people may tell you) damages them.
Charge them whenever your phone says the battery is low and preferably
charge until full. Lithium batteries really hate being overcharged and as
some phones will trickle charge your battery once fast charging is complete
it's a good idea if you have a Lithium battery to remove the charger once
charging has complete.

If you have Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) then it's a different story. You
should do the same complete 3 charge/discharge cycles, but afterwards, when
possible, you should preferably discharge them until your phone turns off
(i.e. ALMOST completely) and then fully recharge them, although you only
need to completely discharge them once every few uses. NiMH batteries are
fine with being trickle charged afterwards, so you can keep your charger
plugged in for a long time after the batteries are charged.

If you have Nickel Cadmium (NiCD) batteries, although this is very unlikely
on a new phone, then you really need to make sure you completely discharge
them every time you use them. Charging them when still partially charged
will cause a memory effect and the capacity will be reduced greatly. NiCD
batteries really don't care that much about being over charged though.

For completeness, Lead Acid batteries should never be allowed to run out of
power, and can be charged as much as you like. But you phone won't have one
of these types of battery. You'll find one in your car or big torch
though...

If you have a NiCD or NiMH battery it may be worth investing in a separate
charger that has a discharge facility as this will keep the battery in good
condition. As I said before though, discharging LiIon or LiPol batteries
WILL damage them. I've had over 600 charge/discharge cycles out of a LiPol
battery charging it before it's empty, but only 175 out of one that was
discharged in a so called "battery conditioner" each time it was charged.

Hope this helps.

Adam

h yeah, something I forgot to say. People in the shops telling you to
charge them for 8 or 16 hours the first time are probably using old
information that related to NiCD batteries. Although your phone will
probably go into trickle charge mode after charging is complete (which will
probably only take an hour or two), more than a few hours of this (once the
charging has gone beyond about 98%) will reduce the life of your battery if
it's a LiPol or LiIon battery.

Adam

>-@LuVbuG@-<

Apr 17, 2003, 2:42:50 PM4/17/03
"R.B. Fisher" <quod...@hersh.com> wrote in message

This is the man with the knowledge.

The memories of science lessons/training come flooding back!!
Antz :)

---
This message is certified Virus Free.

Ron

Apr 17, 2003, 2:58:27 PM4/17/03
My BLD-3 (LiIon) lasts 5-6 days on standby. I guess I should do some
research on the net regarding LiIon batteries (or rechargeable batteries in
general).

Interesting post by R.B. Fisher. Dude, where did you get the info from?

"Mike Bradley" <mi...@n-o-s-p-a-m.logomanager.co.uk> wrote in message

Marve Fleksnes

Apr 17, 2003, 3:51:38 PM4/17/03

"Mike Bradley" <mi...@n-o-s-p-a-m.logomanager.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ron wrote:
> > Read the manual. I charge my new 7250 for 4 hours the first time, let
> > it run out completely, charge it again for 4 hours the second time
> > and let it run out again. I do this 3-4 times after which I charge it
> > at any time I choose. Nowadays new phones do not require 12+ hours
> > initial charging time.
>
> That's what I did with my original 7210/battery and the battery life ended
> up about 2 days after settling down. When I got it replaced, I did it for
> 14 hours (as recommended by the guys at Nokia) and it works fine, 7 or 8
> days. The first one might have been a dud, but there is nothing to lose
by
> giving it the full whack on the first charge.

I just checked the voltage on my battery. The battery say 3.7 Volt, but I
measured it to be 4.3 when I took it off charging. That seems pretty good,
and it last 48 hrs standby and 2 hrs talktime. At 1 bar left, it is 3.62 V
and when the battery is empty it shows 3.56 V

What I am trying to find out, is how some users that get 5-7 days out off
the battery.

Do you turn it off at night?
Talk time?
Play time?
And what is your initial, and final voltage??

Mike Bradley

Apr 17, 2003, 7:53:27 PM4/17/03
Marve Fleksnes wrote:
> I just checked the voltage on my battery. The battery say 3.7 Volt,
> but I measured it to be 4.3 when I took it off charging. That seems
> pretty good, and it last 48 hrs standby and 2 hrs talktime. At 1 bar
> left, it is 3.62 V and when the battery is empty it shows 3.56 V
>
> What I am trying to find out, is how some users that get 5-7 days out
> off the battery.
>
> Do you turn it off at night?
> Talk time?
> Play time?
> And what is your initial, and final voltage??

I don't actually use my mobile for talking all that much at the moment,
being as I am at my desk most of the time :-) So I get about a week out of
it - still less than the old 8310.

Daniel R Timmins

Apr 17, 2003, 8:21:53 PM4/17/03

"Mike Bradley" <mi...@n-o-s-p-a-m.logomanager.co.uk> wrote in message

Same here Mike, not on the mobile as much as much as I was say a month ago,
Im always in the workshop now so got a landline...

the Nokia 6100 lasted about 1 1/2 days to 3 days (that was crap tho! just
how they are, with the new style battery)

BUT the 8910 (uses same battery as 8310's etc) lasts me a good ol' 5 or 6
days with about 1hr tops talktime... thats if i can be bothered to use it
lol (or even find the time for that matter of a fact).

--
Regards,

Ron

Apr 17, 2003, 5:10:28 PM4/17/03
"Marve Fleksnes" <ma...@NOSPAMtov.cc> wrote in message

> What I am trying to find out, is how some users that get 5-7 days out off
> the battery.
> Do you turn it off at night?
> Talk time?
> Play time?

That's just a rough estimate of my battery life without using the phone at
all. I leave it on at night. It lasts approximately 5 days (could be less if
there's an incoming call but I refuse to answer it). Since I don't use my
phone often, it's easy for me to do a continuous test without getting
bombarded by so many incoming calls.

> And what is your initial, and final voltage??

No clue. I have no voltage meter to measure it. It's a good idea to borrow
one :-) I'll ask around to see if anyone got it.

Ron

Apr 17, 2003, 5:59:26 PM4/17/03
I borrowed a multimeter. It's 3pm now and I took my phone off the charger
this morning at 8am. Been running since then, no calls (only 1 missed call)
and I used 2-3 minutes of wireless internet connection to read news. The
battery measures at 4.07V (give or take 0.01V). I'll measure it again when
it hits 1 bar level.

Ben Pope

Apr 18, 2003, 6:34:20 AM4/18/03
Marve Fleksnes wrote:
> What I am trying to find out, is how some users that get 5-7 days out
> off the battery.
>
> Do you turn it off at night?

No

> Talk time?

Probably over an hour a week - 46 hours since Sept.

> Play time?

None.

> And what is your initial, and final voltage??

No Idea!

Thats been pretty consistent with all my phones, maybe the 5110 was a day or
two less, and the 7110 a day or so less. I've had: 5110 (NiCD?), 7110 MiMH,
6210 Li-Ion, 6310i, Li-Ion.

After about 15 months, the 6210 was down to about 4 days - I always ran it
down to <1 bar if I could - this appears to be the wrong method.

Ben

Ben Pope

Apr 18, 2003, 6:36:29 AM4/18/03
Ben Pope wrote:
> After about 15 months, the 6210 was down to about 4 days - I always
> ran it down to <1 bar if I could - this appears to be the wrong
> method.

Oh, I also generally charged it for 8 hours or so - overnight. This also
appears tp be the wrong method. :-P

Hopefully my 6310i will last a little longer, now I pull charger when done
and tend to charge when it goes below 3 bars.

Ben Pope

Apr 18, 2003, 6:38:24 AM4/18/03
Marve Fleksnes wrote:

> And what is your initial, and final voltage??

Bear in mind that with Li-Ion batteries, the voltage is pretty much constant
right up to before they die, then the voltage drops off rapidly. Much more
so than with Ni-Cd and NiMh, anyway.

Thats why the battery indicator stays at max for 80-90% of the time before
it dies.