syncml/http over bluetooth

martin f. krafft

Jul 22, 2004, 8:15:33 AM7/22/04
would someone per chance know of a triband phone with sensible
addressbook, good battery life, and most importantly, which can
connect to the internet via bluetooth? i have the nokia 6230 and it
can't do so, presumably because the providers lobby nokia to disable
the feature to foster GRPS sales. i need to use syncml to connect to
an internal server, so GRPS is not going to cut it since the server
is firewalled. moreover, i am not willing to pay shitloads of money
for my synchronisation, which i am going to be doing very
frequently.

cheers,
-m

Mauricio Freitas

Jul 22, 2004, 8:31:47 AM7/22/04
The P800 should do, the P900 was modified.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

"martin f. krafft" <alt.cellula...@usenet.madduck.net> wrote in
message news:slrncfvbv5....@diamond.madduck.net...

martin f. krafft

Jul 22, 2004, 8:54:29 AM7/22/04
On 2004-07-22, Mauricio Freitas <dr.emai...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> The P800 should do, the P900 was modified.

So the P900 can't do it anymore?

Rob Shepherd

Jul 22, 2004, 9:07:09 AM7/22/04

I personally don't understand what you are asking,

You want to sync your mobile address/cal/whatnot with some remote system ie. a system that
is not in your personal space [10metres].

If you don't want to use gprs or gsm etc.. than how else do you expect to communicate with
remote systems. You are aware that Bluetooth is limited in range to about 10 metres and is
designed for cable replacement for local systems. (headsets/pda/phone/laptop)

The only option is to connect via a Lan Access Point but is this a feature of any BT
phones, being that they are DCE kit themselves?

Mauricio, maybe you can help me understand, what exactly did the p800 do that the p900
does not, with respect to martins original post.

:)

thanks

Rob

martin f. krafft

Jul 22, 2004, 10:17:36 AM7/22/04
On 2004-07-22, Rob Shepherd <rob...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> I personally don't understand what you are asking,

Sorry for not being clear.

> You want to sync your mobile address/cal/whatnot with some remote
> system ie. a system that is not in your personal space [10metres].

yeah, but i want to use my workstation as a proxy, with PAN or DUN.
Thus, the cellphone tunnels IP requests (such as HTTP) through
Bluetooth (L2CAP) and the workstation then forwards them onto the
ethernet.

> The only option is to connect via a Lan Access Point but is this
> a feature of any BT phones, being that they are DCE kit
> themselves?

I know I can connect a computer to the Internet via the BT phone.
But can I connect the phone to the Internet via a computer?

-m

Mauricio Freitas

Jul 22, 2004, 3:32:25 PM7/22/04
"martin f. krafft" <alt.cellula...@usenet.madduck.net> wrote in
message news:slrncfve85....@diamond.madduck.net...

> On 2004-07-22, Mauricio Freitas <dr.emai...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> > The P800 should do, the P900 was modified.
>
> So the P900 can't do it anymore?

To connect you simply install the Sony Ericsson software on your computer
and connect the phone (via USB or Bluetooth). The mRouter will act as a
proxy. AFAIK the P900 had this disabled, like the Nokia 6600. As you
mentioned before, most probably some operator complained about losing
revenue.

gopi

Jul 23, 2004, 11:45:22 AM7/23/04
"Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emai...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message news:<MCULc.9916$NA1.9...@news02.tsnz.net>...

> "martin f. krafft" <alt.cellula...@usenet.madduck.net> wrote in
> message news:slrncfve85....@diamond.madduck.net...
> > On 2004-07-22, Mauricio Freitas <dr.emai...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> > > The P800 should do, the P900 was modified.
> > So the P900 can't do it anymore?
> To connect you simply install the Sony Ericsson software on your computer
> and connect the phone (via USB or Bluetooth). The mRouter will act as a
> proxy. AFAIK the P900 had this disabled, like the Nokia 6600. As you
> mentioned before, most probably some operator complained about losing
> revenue.

Apple's iSync software works via the mRouter technique. If you poke
around, you can find the executable that is used, and run it yourself.
It works with the P800 and the P900; I'm able to ping my P900 as we
speak.

martin f. krafft

Jul 23, 2004, 2:35:04 PM7/23/04
On 2004-07-23, gopi <bb+graffiti....@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> Apple's iSync software works via the mRouter technique. If you poke
> around, you can find the executable that is used, and run it yourself.
> It works with the P800 and the P900; I'm able to ping my P900 as we
> speak.

won't this require me to be on OS X?

also, the 6230 does not seem to be supported.

Mauricio Freitas

Jul 23, 2004, 3:13:12 PM7/23/04
"gopi" <bb+graffiti....@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message

Being able to ping the P900 is good. Are you able, once connected, initiate
a connection FROM the P900. For example, if you start Opera, can you browse
a site via this connection, not GPRS?

gopi

Jul 27, 2004, 9:46:34 AM7/27/04
"Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emai...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message news:<NpdMc.38$zS6....@news02.tsnz.net>...

> Being able to ping the P900 is good. Are you able, once connected, initiate
> a connection FROM the P900. For example, if you start Opera, can you browse
> a site via this connection, not GPRS?

Yes, Opera works via Bluetooth. I have set up IP masqerading and used
that for P900 browsing. It's _possible_ that they may have broken this
in the newest firmware version or something - I'm on O2 Germany, so
the firmware is slightly older.

Interestingly, the P900 dropped the ability to select IPv6 in the
network dialogs. My P800 could be configured to have a static IPv6
address and nameserver; the P900 only lets you configure IPv4 ones.
I'm pretty sure nobody has ever used that feature, but I was
disappointed to see it go away.

How did the Nokia 6600 block bluetooth browsing? Is it possible to
establish a TCP connection to the computer running mRouter, but just
not use it as a router? Or, perhaps, did they merely not add that
computer as a router? Perhaps if you use Symbian OS calls to set up
the desktop as a default router, it'll work...

martin f. krafft

Jul 28, 2004, 4:51:43 AM7/28/04
On 2004-07-27, gopi <bb+graffiti....@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> How did the Nokia 6600 block bluetooth browsing? Is it possible to
> establish a TCP connection to the computer running mRouter, but
> just not use it as a router? Or, perhaps, did they merely not add
> that computer as a router? Perhaps if you use Symbian OS calls to
> set up the desktop as a default router, it'll work...

Would you have further references on that? I don't even know how to
approach this...

-m

gopi

Jul 31, 2004, 2:52:50 PM7/31/04
"martin f. krafft" <alt.cellula...@usenet.madduck.net> wrote in message news:<slrncgeq8v....@diamond.madduck.net>...

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/mraento/symbian/bt-ap.html

The routing tables are different. You can only connect to the computer
at the other end of the bluetooth link, rather than using it as a
router to get on the Internet. Using this guy's useful little app, you
can fix that.