Friskies Dental Diet - cat food

jlcoop

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
Is there anything wrong with this cat food? I was reading on another board
that it is not good but I switched to it now and my cats love the flavor.

Mary Queen of Scoots

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
>Is there anything wrong with this cat food? I was reading on another board
>that it is not good but I switched to it now and my cats love the flavor.

I haven't heard anything and my cat loves it too. He likes the big bites I
think. He used to like to eat the dog's food. The dog loved the cat's food. The
food is always tastier on the other side :-)

jlcoop

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
I was reading on two other cat discussion boards that people hated this
because it didn't have the right nutrients or something. When I read the
label, it sounds pretty good to me compared to Iams, Science Diet, Walthams,
Pro Plan, etc. plus my cats love it! I think they also like the big bites
and round food is always a fav. They scarf it up.

"Mary Queen of Scoots" <mmmar...@aol.comspam> wrote in message

Rechelle Blair

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
Yes there is. Friskies and all other foods in the grocery stores, with the
exception of IAMS maybe, are 4D meats. They also contain euthoxyquin, which
isn't fit for human consumption & is believed to cause illness in cats. Cat
Chow, Meow Mix and a few others contain food dyes, which causes illness as
well. VERY bad foods, your cat will not have the health that they should have,
their coat will be rougher and their energy less. 4D, if you don't know, is
Dead, Dying, Diseased and Decaying. That means that they can take road kill
that's been in the Texas sun in August for a month and put it into the foods.

I actually have experience with this. We used to feed our 17 year old cat
Friskies. Her coat was very rough and she was always shedding. This is a cat
that *hated* hard food and wouldn't eat it willingly. Had to have soft food.
She only has 2 fangs left, all her other teeth had to be removed. In
September, we switched to Flint River Ranch. Her energy has picked up
dramatically, her health improved greatly and her coat is soft and doesn't shed
as much. She actually looks forward to hard food and turns her nose up at soft
food. I never believed it would make such a difference, I was a firm Friskies
feeder to her & a kitten of ours. Once we started feeding that and saw the
health improvement, we've never gone back. It may cost more, but you feed much
less. So it balances out. Give it a try, Flint River Ranch has a money back
guarantee. I can get you the information if you want it.

Best of luck,
Rechelle

P.S. Flint River even *smells* great!

jlcoop

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
Friskes Dental is different from the regular Friskes cat food? Dental Diet
is improved?

"Rechelle Blair" <RG_B...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Rechelle Blair

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
I'm not sure actually. I haven't had to use Dental diet. I'm still leery of
the name Friskies and would try to find a better quality of food. The
ingredients may *look* the same on the bag, but things like Nutro in the
Petstores are naturally preserved, which means better health.

Why do you have to feed Dental diet?

Rechelle

jlcoop

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
I had my cats in for a dental cleaning. They are 5 but I also took my stray
in that was over 10 and he died on the table. I have been through all types
of dental things with my cats that are still here.

A vet on this board recommended "Friskies Dental Diet." I bought it and my
two boys love the taste.

"Rechelle Blair" <RG_B...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Rechelle Blair

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
I'ld still be leery of Friskies. Isn't there another brand in the petstores
that does Dental diets?

What sort of dental problems have you had? We have a 17 year old cat that last
September had to have all but 2 fangs removed due to severe decay and breaking
at the root. We asked our vet about dental diets and he said that it's not
necessary. Feeding hard food is enough. We can't brush her fangs, she is a
grumpy old cat who won't let us.

Before you take the opinion of vets on a board that you haven't met, I'ld take
your remaining cats to a second vet and get a second opinion. Your cat dying on
the table could've been related to another problem.

What area, in general, do you live? Maybe someone on the list can recommend a
vet for you.

Best of luck,
Rechelle

joan

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Hi. The cat that died during the cleaning was over 10 years old
and died from heart failure.

My cats are himalayans and have excessive tarter build-up. My
vet says it is common with himalayans to have problems with
their teeth because their faces are shorter and teeth tend to
grow closer.

The vets didn't recommend any specific cat food for cleaning
their teeth. He wanted me to brush their teeth 3 times a week
and it is really impossible. I have tried everything. I use a
rinse called Nolvadent with a gauze pad wrapped over my finger
to try to get some of the bacteria off. It helps but not much.

Milinda Lommer, DVM

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00

I was very leery of Friskies Dental diet when it first came out for two
reasons:
1) the primary ingredient is corn, and because cats are carnivores, I felt that
the diet should be meat-based;
2) Friskies has historically not been a premium brand and has not created the
best quality cat foods.

After speaking with a nutritionist at UC Davis Vet School and doing some
background reading, I learned that Friskies Dental Diet **has been through
AAFCO feeding trials**, which means it has been scientifically tested on live
cats for 6-12 month periods of time and found to be nutritionally complete,
with no resulting deficiencies of any kind.

I had been partial to Hill's T/D but decided to try the Friskies - my cats do
prefer its flavor over the T/D and they have not had any digestive problems,
dry hair coat, or other problems since being on Friskies for over 5 months.
(And, since my cats have all eaten T/D or Friskies Dental Diet for the last 5
years, none of them have had to be anesthetized for dental cleaning. They have
almost no plaque build-up and no appreciable gingivitis. I've been very happy
with the dental diets and can't imagine going back to regular cat food.)

Also, Friskies has recently been purchased by Waltham, which is a very
reputable pet food company with higher quality standards than the old Friskies
manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

Milinda Lommer, DVM

Dentistry and Oral Surgery Service
Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital
University of California, Davis

joan

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Thank you for your reply! I will stay with Friskies Dental Diet
now. My cats do prefer the taste and if it helps just a
smidgeon to get that tarter off, that is great.

Kitty

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Friskies in general isn't the best food out there. It doesn't have the
greatest reputation. But if your cats are healthy and they are enjoying it,
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

jlcoop <jlc...@NOsPaMerols.com> wrote in message

Kitty

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Any large kernal food is good for dental maintenance. Try Nutromax food.
My young one crunches away. However, my one older cat can't even bite
through them their so big!!! LOL

Rechelle Blair <RG_B...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Rechelle Blair

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Hi Joan,

The heart failure *may* have been more from the anesthetic, but I understand
completely your concern. I had a female kitten die 2 weeks after spaying, due
to internal bleeding. The vets kept saying she was ok.

Hard food is generally better for the teeth anyways, so I think any brand would
do. Consider, at least, switching to a better quality food. I've fed Friskies
and the vet never thought she'ld live another year (in '98). We continued
feeding it until '99, then switched, and the vet now can't believe how healthy &
vibrant she is. She's 17 with the attitude, energy & health of a cat half her
age. It really does make a difference.

I know what you mean about brushing, I've got 2 cats that there is *no* way I
could do that too. Cindy (the 17 year old) is snarly about her mouth being
handled and Shadow (11 mos) is a biter. I just take them in for cleanings with
no anesthetic. They just give a mild sedative to them.

Please accept my condolences on the kitty that died. It's always hard.

Best of luck,
Rechelle

joan wrote:

> Hi. The cat that died during the cleaning was over 10 years old
> and died from heart failure.
>
> My cats are himalayans and have excessive tarter build-up. My
> vet says it is common with himalayans to have problems with
> their teeth because their faces are shorter and teeth tend to
> grow closer.
>
> The vets didn't recommend any specific cat food for cleaning
> their teeth. He wanted me to brush their teeth 3 times a week
> and it is really impossible. I have tried everything. I use a
> rinse called Nolvadent with a gauze pad wrapped over my finger
> to try to get some of the bacteria off. It helps but not much.

Rechelle Blair

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
I've tried Nutro with our babies and they hate it! LOL. They love the smaller
food. :-)

Rechelle Blair

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Milinda,

My problem with Friskies is that the meat is 4D. I wouldn't want my cats to eat
anything that wouldn't be fit for human consumption. I'm not overly concerned with
the corn aspect (my cats have no problem with it), but I am about the meat and the
euthoxyquin, as well as the other preservatives.

Rechelle

Kitty

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Yeah Sam tried biting into a kernal and spit it right out. The poor guy
couldn't muster the big things! Mickey is on it now and he loves it. I'm
happy because it seems to have cut down on his bad breath. :-)

> I've tried Nutro with our babies and they hate it! LOL. They love the
smaller
> food. :-)
>

> Kitty wrote:
>
> > Any large kernal food is good for dental maintenance. Try Nutromax
food.
> > My young one crunches away. However, my one older cat can't even bite
> > through them their so big!!! LOL

William H. Howell

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Rechelle, seems like you are a seller of this flint stuff.
You wrote, "Give it a try, Flint River Ranch has a money back

guarantee. I can get you the information if you want it."

Let me confess a bias, if you are a seller, I hate multi level
marketing and I hate people who purport to give advice out of
the goodness of their hearts when in fact they are whoring their
words and reputation.

It surely does read like you are selling this stuff hard with several
posts and personal testimonial and offering to give the prospect,
for MLM and buing this stuff from you, "get you the information if you
want it."

I realize that speaking about other than "sweetums" and "kitties"
may make too many warm and fuzzy friends here, but, Rechelle,
your style of selling makes me want to puke.

A top of the pyramid distributor is

http://www.petfoods.uni.cc/

I suggest readers compare Rechelle's words with flint's
and consider wether one who 'can get you info' is soul-
lessly shilling her "wares" for profit....

Rechelle Blair wrote:
>September, we switched to Flint River Ranch. Her energy has picked up
>dramatically, her health improved greatly and her coat is soft and doesn't shed
>as much. She actually looks forward to hard food and turns her nose up at soft
>food. I never believed it would make such a difference, I was a firm Friskies
>feeder to her & a kitten of ours. Once we started feeding that and saw the
>health improvement, we've never gone back. It may cost more, but you feed much
>less. So it balances out. Give it a try, Flint River Ranch has a money back
>guarantee. I can get you the information if you want it.

Rechelle Blair

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
William,

I do *not* sell it. I feed it to my 3 cats and am amazed at how well they are
doing. Period. You are acusing me without knowing me. I have *never* sold it, I
buy it from my vet. On the bag is where it lists the contact information to order
it through the mail. That's how I can get the information, William H. Howell.

Rechelle G. Blair

William H. Howell

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Rechelle,

if it talks like a duck, smells like a duck, does what ducks do and,
well, posts a lot of pro duck messages about a Multi Level Marketing
schema, then it is, very likely, a duck.

What convinces me is the similarity between your messages and flint's
pitch. You continue to do everything a MLM person would do.

You say you don't sell the stuff ( and by implication / assumption,
the vet is not a relative, close friend or customer ), I understand.

The flint stuff "even smells" like a duck.

Rechelle, I don't believe your 'I am not profiting from this, I am not
associated with this' statements. Dissecting your statements would
not be pleasant. And, who knows, you may be evangelizing on
behalf of flint's without any profit. But, were I in MLM, I would let
people know that I was selling the stuff, or collecting names for a
seller or somehow related to a seller.

One last thing, Flint's is a multi Level Marketing scheme, much like
Amway and the ilk. Some call that scheme a, "pyramid scheme."
But, I think, you know that.

You are right, we have never met and the fewer MLM people I meet,
the happier I am.

Have a nice day.

newsgroup

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
I don't sell Flint but my cats loved the sample I got. :)

Rechelle Blair

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
You are a pathetic man (and I use that term *very* loosely) Mr. William H.
Howell. I do *not* sell Flint River. I have *never* sold Flint River. I
am just thoroughly impressed with the quality of the food. That's all
there is to it. I don't have any intention to ever sell it. I do intend
to continue feeding it to my cats however.

How do you think to know so much about how Flint River works? hmm?

Go away Mr. William H. Howell, you bore the shit out of me.

Rechelle Blair

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Careful, Mr. Howell will accuse anyone who even feeds FRR to their cats as
being sellers. Since you had a sample, in his eyes, you must be selling
it. :-)

newsgroup wrote:

> I don't sell Flint but my cats loved the sample I got. :)

Matthew Montchalin

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, William H. Howell wrote:

|>?&nbsp; They don't actually recieve the product, they place
|>the order with the main office, as far as I understand from my vet office.&nbsp;
|
|What is "nbsp" please?

HTML surplusage, neither needed nor wanted by anyone who is really Usenet
Savvy.

Matthew Montchalin

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00

What my cats like most is hotdogs and milk, and then sometimes dry
catfood, but it's the hotdogs that develop their hunting instinct....

William H. Howell

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
Rechelle Blair wrote:
unsupported diatribe cut

>Howell. I do *not* sell Flint River. I have *never* sold Flint River.

You do not answer the MLM question nor the question of friends
and relations possibly selling the stuff.

>I am just thoroughly impressed with the quality of the food. That's all
>there is to it. I don't have any intention to ever sell it. I do intend
>to continue feeding it to my cats however.

>How do you think to know so much about how Flint River works? hmm?

I went to the URL which I posted. It was simple. With Netscape, just
type in the name of your vendor and press return. I went to that
URL to find out if flints is was an MLM scheme. Clearly, flints
is a Multi Level Marketing scheme.

At that URL flint's is soliciting a sales "Pyramid" a Multi Level
Marketing scheme. Gee, Rechelle, you didn't know that? Wow!

>Go away Mr. William H. Howell, you bore the shit out of me.

You know, I wanted to say something like that to you. Manners
and courtesy to the rest of the list prevented me from doing more
than saying that cute advertising postings make me puke.

Good luck with the flint stuff and your vocabulary.

Kitty

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
I think that was unnecessarily harsh and uncalled for. Many "cat people" in
here have tried products, have had GREAT success with them, and wish to
spread the wealth!!! I am constantly promoting Jamieson PetCare Furball
Buster, because it's a WONDERFUL product. After years of seaching for a
remedy for my chronic hairball boy, I finally found one that works. So I
always encourage those with cats who have hairball problems, to try out this
product. I find myself sounding like a salesperson, even though that is
totally NOT the case!!! I'm a customer, like everyone else!! Rechelle is a
regular cat lover in these newsgroups, and *I* know she's not here to sell
any product. You need to lay off.

Kelly

William H. Howell <who...@ici.net> wrote in message

Kitty

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
Get lost. You are a newbie who doesn't even know Rechelle. The rest of us
do, she wants other cat owners to experience a good product. What is so
wrong with that? We are here because we care about cats, not to promote
things. Those who are promoting products make it COMPLETELY obvious.
Because they are one time posters. Rechelle has been helping out people in
these cat newsgroups for a long time. Go away.

William H. Howell <who...@ici.net> wrote in message

William H. Howell

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
>And how is Flint River a pyramid scheme? Yes, they have independent distributors,

Yes, one above a bunch of others who are above others and on and on,
much like Amway. LOL: "they have independent distributors" just like
Amway.

>?&nbsp; They don't actually recieve the product, they place
>the order with the main office, as far as I understand from my vet office.&nbsp;

What is "nbsp" please?

Please go to flint's web surrogate ( pyramid person ) and read about
the importance of 'select(ing) good people.' A pyramid Multi Level
Marketing scheme. Have you been to that web site, Rechelle?
If you have and can't smell MLM, well too bad.

>There aren't any higher ups, only the actual company of Flint River.

To Kitty Kat I would say, "Hardly a newbie - whatever you mean by
'newbie', also people who spam their MLM schemes should "get lost."
Rechelle can say flint is not a MLM as is comforting, anyone with at
least half a brain can read flint's surrogate on distributor ships and
recognize MLM.

Kitty Kat, allow me to quote Rechelle, "You are a fool.... you bore

the shit out of me."

Have a nice day.

The Don

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
I've been away from the NG for what seems like *ages*, only to come back to see
another troll looking for fresh meat... I agree with you, Kitty. I've never
known Rechelle to give out anything but advice from her own personal
experience.
Just go away is almost too polite for the troll.

Karen and the fur babies

Kitty

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
It sickens me that someone would jump on the back of a regular for
recommending a good product. Give me a break!

Kelly

The Don <the...@ccconline.net> wrote in message

---MIKE---

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
Rechelle,

I am starting to wean my cats away from the supermarket foods. I have
some Innova (dry and canned) and am getting some samples from Flint
River Ranch. I know they are both good but is one better than the
other? Both of these products are a little hard for me to get (the
closest place selling Innova is 40 miles away) but if they will benefit
the health of my cats, it is worth the trouble. Are they both equally
good for preventing urinary problems?

-MIKE

hunnybunnyfunnybunnyĆ

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
www.naturapet.com is the website for Innova. Where I live it's the best food
and excellent value @ $16.99 for 6.6lbs compared to Royal Canin @ $23.99 for
7lbs.
hbfb

---MIKE--- <twinmo...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Just Me

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00

I switched from Friskies Dental to Science Diet Dental. Although I do not
use Science Diet for my cats' main diet, I do add in the dental formal.
Comparing the ingredients with Friskies and Science Diet made my decision to
switch.

Just Me
Please (removeyourshoes) before applying!

richard.alexander

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
Excuse me for asking, but, what exactly is FFR ? I don't recall seeing it in
the part of the UK that I live in.

Just Me

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00

I didn't know Nutromax made a dental formula! Are the ingredients better
than SD?

> > doesn't
> > up at
> > saw
> > feed
> > money

Kitty

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
Well they don't have a "dental formula" per se. Dental formulas usually
have large, hard kernals that force the cats to chew and crunch. Thus
scraping off tarter. Nutromax's kernals are MADE large, so there's pretty
much dental care in every formula. And yes, the ingrediants are better than
SD.

Milinda Lommer, DVM

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
Hi everyone,

As of April 2000, the only two diets that have been clinically shown to reduce
plaque and calculus (tartar) are Friskies Dental Diet and Hill's T/D. (Hill's
and Science Diet are made by the same manufacturer so this is sometimes
mistakenly called Science Diet T/D. The difference in "Hill's" and "Science
Diet" is that Hill's products are only available through veterinarians and
Science Diet products are sold in pet supply stores).

The Veterinary Oral Health Council is responsible for verifying product claims
of dental benefit. These two foods are the only ones (at present) with the VOHC
seal of approval. Part of their benefit is the kernel size, as Kitty pointed
out. But they are also designed so the tooth must penetrate the kibble rather
than shattering the kibble. When the tooth penetrates the kibble, plaque is
removed. So not all large kernel foods have the same benefit, as many of these
will shatter when chewed. But any kind of dry food is always better than wet
food for oral health.

Milinda Lommer, DVM
Dentistry and Oral Surgery Service
Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital
University of California, Davis

Milinda Lommer, DVM

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to clarify why anesthesia is required for effective, therapeutic
dental cleaning. Removing tartar while the patient is awake has COSMETIC benefit,
but no MEDICAL benefit. This is because the pathogenic plaque bacteria which cause
gingivitis and bone destruction live _under_ the gumline. In order to remove the
subgingival plaque, scaling below the gumline is required (which is what your dental
hygienist does at your semi-annual dental appointment). Although humans tolerate
this somewhat uncomfortable procedure, in animals it cannot be accomplished without
general anesthesia.

We had a client come in last week with her 10-year-old dog. She'd been hand-scaling
its teeth about once every 6 weeks since it was a puppy. He had never been
anesthetized for professional cleaning. The teeth looked pretty good on the physical
exam but there was some gingivitis and bad breath...a hallmark of periodontal
disease. When we anesthetized him, took x-rays, and performed periodontal probing,
there was tremendous bone loss around many teeth. Several teeth had lost more than
50% of their bony support and had to be extracted. The client was very sad because
she thought she was doing the right thing by keeping the teeth clean. But looking
clean and being healthy are not synonymous.

Incidentally, if a patient is awake while the tartar is being removed, she could
accidentally inhale some of the tartar (and billions of bacteria within it) and
develop pneumonia. During full anesthesia, the tube placed in the trachea to deliver
the gas helps to prevent this.

Anesthesia also allows the veterinary team to perform a complete oral examination;
this will detect areas of bone loss, feline odontoclastic resorption lesions
("feline cavities", painful areas of tooth destruction present in about 50% of pet
cats), fractured teeth, and other potential problems which cannot be seen without
the patient anesthetized.

A final caveat about awake dental scaling is that it leaves scratches in the enamel,
which leads to more rapid plaque accumulation. Polishing is required to minimize
enamel scratches after dental cleaning.

Anesthesia is safer today than it was 10 years ago, due to safer anesthetic agents
and better monitoring. The risks can be minimized by performing blood tests before
the procedure, and by monitoring heart rate, respiratory rate, blood pressure,
oxygen saturation of the blood, and EKG throughout the procedure. Ignoring oral
disease in order to avoid anesthesia can leave your pet with a painful mouth for the
rest of its life. In addition, the bacteria in the mouth can spread to the heart,
liver, kidneys and lungs, causing disease there and shortening your pet's lifespan.
Preventing and treating oral disease will improve your pet's quality of life.

Daily tooth-brushing is the best way to prevent dental disease and to prolong the
time between professional dental treatments. As many of us have learned, in cats
this can be difficult if not impossible. The next best thing is feeding one of the
dental diets; they have been shown to be more effective than twice-weekly
tooth-brushing. Hill's T/D and Friskies Dental Diet have been proven to reduce
plaque and tartar accumulation compared to other dry foods. As of April 2000, they
are the only diets approved by the Veterinary Oral Health Council for the purpose of
reducing plaque and tartar.

Milinda Lommer, DVM
Dentistry and Oral Surgery Service
Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital
University of California, Davis

Just Me

Kitty

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
Wow you're burning me all over the place arent'cha???? <huge grin>