Descriptions...

DOUGLAS SPECK

Jan 22, 1993, 2:09:27 PM1/22/93

T-Bear stands up on a chair next to the bar, and shouts, "May I have
your attention, PLEASE!..........Thank you. Now, ladies, gents and
others ;), I have had an idea. Because I am relatively new here, I
haven't got a good vision of what all the regulars look like, much
less an idea of what all the newcomers look like. If everyone would
post a decent( but fairly short) description of their appearance,
I believe it would help everyone to `see' the Place better... I`ll
start. I am a Chinese Giant Panda, about six feet (180 cm) tall when
standing upright. My fur is the black and white pattern that you would
expect, I eat lots of bamboo shoots as my usual meal, and my favourite
drink is A&W Root Beer. My birthday is July 19, 1967, and my specialty
is the T-Bear Hug(tm). My usual place in the Bar is a nice warm spot
near the fireplace, out of line of fire of the incoming glasses. I hail
from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. There, see? It's easy. :)"

T-Bear hops down from the chair, and goes over to the forming group hug,
rather hoping that he hasn't made a fool of himself due to the fact that
there is already a compilation of this type out there, which he should
have inquired about...

Hmmm, come to think about it, perhaps a standardized form of description
would be in order, with a listing of Appearance, Favourite Drink, Place
in the Bar, Birthdate, and Origin(city, country). On the other hand,
perhaps people would like to go about it in their own inimitable fashions...
What do folks think? Feedback, please!

Rumbles 'n snorts,
T-Bear.

+ dsp...@ee.ryerson.ca - aka T-Bear +
+ see - I even have a furry .sig file! +

Doug Quarnstrom

Jan 22, 1993, 2:42:26 PM1/22/93
DOUGLAS SPECK (dsp...@ee.ryerson.ca) wrote:
: Feedback, please!

Feedback strikes me as another euphemistic phrase whose alternate
expressions might include: chunder, hurl, spew, etc.

doug

Karl Siewert

Jan 22, 1993, 5:21:54 PM1/22/93
d...@fc.hp.com (Doug Quarnstrom) writes:
>Feedback strikes me as another euphemistic phrase whose alternate
>expressions might include: chunder, hurl, spew, etc.
HACK YARK PUKE DRIVE THE PORCELAIN BUS, TECHNICOLOR YAWN,
I'LL SHUT UP NOW.
--
/ James Riekar, barhopping yoyist, at your service \
Impersonated at Fort Hays State by Karl G. Siewert, pretending to be at K-State

Jonathan E Miles

Jan 22, 1993, 5:31:17 PM1/22/93
dsp...@ee.ryerson.ca (DOUGLAS SPECK) writes:
>Hmmm, come to think about it, perhaps a standardized form of description
>would be in order, with a listing of Appearance, Favourite Drink, Place
>in the Bar, Birthdate, and Origin(city, country). On the other hand,
>perhaps people would like to go about it in their own inimitable fashions...

Itosu stands up and stretches after a long afternoon nap.
"To hell with bandwidth..I might as well describe myself. I must of course
turn around so that you all can see me(as if you couldn't already.)"

He turns around slowly and allows the whole pub to see his appearance. He is a
standard sized ogre(about 7'3" and 400 lbs), and he is wearing a huge white
karate gi(uniform) with a green(intermediate) belt. He enjoys Citrus Cooler
Gatorade(the thirst-quencher) and his birthday is July 15, 1974. He is at
Kansas State University(like a few others here) which is located in Manhattan,
Kansas in the United States. He can be found sitting in a reinforced chair in
a vague corner of the bar composing poetry or sleeping.

"There....now you see me as I am on the outside, you'll have to talk to me to
see the inside(or read my poems).

Itosu the ogre

Jonathan E. Miles
n...@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
--
If I wrote a .sig, you'd just expect a better one, so what's the use?

Karl Siewert

Jan 22, 1993, 5:34:14 PM1/22/93
dsp...@ee.ryerson.ca (DOUGLAS SPECK) writes:
>Hmmm, come to think about it, perhaps a standardized form of description
>would be in order, with a listing of Appearance, Favourite Drink, Place
>in the Bar, Birthdate, and Origin(city, country). On the other hand,
>perhaps people would like to go about it in their own inimitable fashions...
>What do folks think? Feedback, please!

I like. I'm about 6'2", with nondescript long brown hair and brown eyes. I'm
dressed for the most part in brown suedes. My weapons are behind the bar. I
am still trying out drinks. I sit on a barstool (brought it myself from the
Taiwan On next door) near the new door in the darkest corner through which I
entered. My RL alter-ego was born on October 18th in 1971 in Virginia Beach,
Virginia, but he's lived most of his life in Topeka, KS. Now he lives in Hays,
KS (a veritable Disneyland for shutins) and posts from KSU. Rie doesn't remem-
ber his birthday, but he's about 25ish. He's from Greyhawk. Little town
called Haze. Ever heard of it?

Love to all & a hug to T-bear.
Rie

Karl Siewert

Jan 22, 1993, 5:39:47 PM1/22/93
>Hmmm, come to think about it, perhaps a standardized form of description
>would be in order, with a listing of Appearance, Favourite Drink, Place
>in the Bar, Birthdate, and Origin(city, country). On the other hand,
>perhaps people would like to go about it in their own inimitable fashions...
>What do folks think? Feedback, please!

<AS A NEWBIE, I KINDA THINK THE IDEAR IS A GOOD ONE.

ALIAS: SLASH MARAUD
REAL NAME:STASH LEOPOLD MARADOVICH JR
OCCUPATION: MAGE OF STEEL
IDENTITY: CONFUSED
LEGAL STATUS: FORMER AMERICAN CITIZEN WITH CONSIDERABLE CRIMINAL RECORD
OTHER ALIASES: THAT RAT BASTARD
MARITAL STATUS: SINGLE AGAIN
HEIGHT: 6'2"
WEIGHT:210 LBS FOUR STONE
HAIR: BROWN
EYES: BROWN
DRINK: REFUSES TO COMMIT
PLACE IN BAR: VARIES, BUT ALWAYS NEAR RIE CUZ HE'S GOT THE COMPUTER
BIRTHDATE: SLASH 11/19/63 (rl 12/17/70)
AGE: 1563 DUE TO TIME DISTORTION
ORIGIN: BROOKLYN, NY (rl hays america)

Rich Krum

Jan 22, 1993, 5:38:48 PM1/22/93
In article 13...@ee.ryerson.ca, dsp...@ee.ryerson.ca (DOUGLAS SPECK) writes:
>Hmmm, come to think about it, perhaps a standardized form of description
>would be in order, with a listing of Appearance, Favourite Drink, Place
>in the Bar, Birthdate, and Origin(city, country). On the other hand,
>perhaps people would like to go about it in their own inimitable fashions...
>What do folks think? Feedback, please!

OK, da Troll will give this a try--

Appearance: Varies from butt-ugly to charmingly cute, depending upon your
cultural conext for Trolls. The Dragon Lady says I'm FAT, I claim fluffy!

Favorite Drink: Varies from Antifreeze to Dihydrous Oxide, straight. Is
Currently corrosively strong Lipton tea, no sugar, no cream, no mercy, in
a very large container with an LCD thermometer on the side. Anything under
140deg F and above 120deg F is "drinkable"

Place in Bar: Under a convenient table that looks sorta like a stone
bridge over a quiet stream.

Birthdate: Classified as to year, will admit to being a Libra on the
27th of a month.

Origin: New Jersey, Florida, California, Alabama. Currently at work
near Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville Alabama, USA, Earth, Milky
Way Galaxy.

Imitable: Not likely, mold blew up during process of making me.

Connections: Dragon Lady, very significant other, 4ft 11inches of very
Cantonese buzzsaw that claims to be 5ft 2inches tall.

Dave the Wave, Eldest son, currently resides at Caltech in Pasadena, CA.
Eagle Scout, and general go-dooder

Little Frog, 15yr-old son, in Huntsville, High School Student, Boy Scout,
and mature well byond his years.

Da Goose, 11yr-old son, in Huntsville, Boy Scout newbie and pretender to the
throne. Biology and science experimenter.

Wiley the dawg, 6yr-old beagleish, given to projectile vomiting under specific
conditions, useless otherwise, loved pet.

Da B1rd, noisyest parakeet in the world, can out-yell many household appliances
that generate ear-splitting noise.

Sense of Humour: Warped, degenerate, and very subtle. Loves Spike Jones
and Monty Python as examples of subtle wit.

Opinion of Surveys like these: Answers with outrageous lies and half-truths,
facts, and fancy, all intermixed in a undefineable manner. Friends in the bar
will remember that the Troll will not allow facts to screw up a good story.

Enemies: Many accumulate, friends come and go.

Philosophy: Do good, then split!

Writing Style: Long-winded when aroused.

Net Style: Lurks, then pounces with some stupid comment!

Sign-off: Now, since its time to go home!

E-mail: Accepted and answered when the stupid system is working!

--Troll, who overstayed his Friday, again!!!!
---
"My opinions are my own, and my employer (Boeing Computer Support Services)
denies any responsibility for me, all opinions in general, and anything
I may say, do, or be otherwise associated with outside of work for them.
-- Use at your own risk, your mileage may vary, no news is good news."

E-MAIL REPLY TO: ri...@troll1.msfc.nasa.gov PLEASE KEEP IT "G" RATED

Fred Sloniker

Jan 22, 1993, 10:31:33 PM1/22/93
In a previous article, T-Bear wrote:

>T-Bear stands up on a chair next to the bar, and shouts, "May I have
>your attention, PLEASE!..........Thank you. Now, ladies, gents and
>others ;), I have had an idea. Because I am relatively new here, I
>haven't got a good vision of what all the regulars look like, much
>less an idea of what all the newcomers look like. If everyone would
>post a decent( but fairly short) description of their appearance,
>I believe it would help everyone to `see' the Place better...

All right, why not? My name, for any of you who didn't notice my entrance,
is Lawrence Lazuli R'kamos-- but just call me Laz. In appearance, I am a
four-foot-tall anthropomorphic squirrel, with white fur, solid electric blue
eyeballs, and a big bushy tail (yet not so large as to be unmanageable).
Right now, I'm wearing a blue T-shirt, black cords, blue-and-white tennies,
and a blue scarf just given to me by a gypsy lady. As for any other stuff,
like birthday or favorite drink-- well, nobody's asked.

---Fred M. Sloniker, typing for
L. Lazuli R'kamos, spacefolded squirrel
laz...@u.washington.edu

Karl Siewert

Jan 22, 1993, 11:32:55 PM1/22/93
laz...@byron.u.washington.edu (Fred Sloniker) writes:

>All right, why not? My name, for any of you who didn't notice my entrance,
>is Lawrence Lazuli R'kamos-- but just call me Laz. In appearance, I am a
>four-foot-tall anthropomorphic squirrel, with white fur, solid electric blue
>eyeballs, and a big bushy tail (yet not so large as to be unmanageable).
>Right now, I'm wearing a blue T-shirt, black cords, blue-and-white tennies,
>and a blue scarf just given to me by a gypsy lady. As for any other stuff,
>like birthday or favorite drink-- well, nobody's asked.

We WaNt To KnOw WhAt YoUr BiRtHdAy AnD fAvOrItE dRiNk ArE.

SiGnEd,
SLASH and Rie, only one of whom is...

Barbara Trumpinski

Jan 22, 1993, 9:21:41 PM1/22/93
kitten decides to oblige t-bear....

in RL and in a.c i am a short, blonde (when my hair isn't purple),
blue eyed, freckled, bespeckled library tech.

i tend to bounce and giggle and hug in both places...

when i first came into callahans i wore ragged denim shorts and a
t-shirt...

in RL i live in champaign, illinois...married, 3 step-children, 2 cats
and my BH (better half or butt head) is a tech in the chemistry
dept...he manages undergrad labs.

my favorite drink varies...right now i am especially fond of michael
shea's amber ale.

date of birth 3/6/55 (almost 38)

conan the librarian a.k.a. kitten /\ /\ barbara ann
"my life's a soap opera, isn't yours?" {=.=}
~ trum...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
"it's not easy being a cast iron bitch--it takes years of practice.
most people don't appreciate that.

Fred Sloniker

Jan 23, 1993, 12:11:52 AM1/23/93
In a previous article, Karl Siewert wrote:

>We WaNt To KnOw WhAt YoUr BiRtHdAy AnD fAvOrItE dRiNk ArE.

(grin) All right. My birthday is March 11, and my favorite drink is a Fizzy
Orange Soda. Orangina, if you've got it, and not Pepsi's brand-- their
commercials offend human intelligence.

---Fred M. Sloniker, writing for
L. Lazuli R'kamos, who likes his orange
sodas with real orange pulp
laz...@u.washington.edu

Noah Ramon

Jan 23, 1993, 2:04:42 AM1/23/93
Okay, I guess it's my turn. (sound kinda like Eeyore, huh?)

My name is Noah Ramon. I am the Bi-Bulb...

Oh, you want more, eh? Okay, okay... I stand about 5'10" (I think) - if I were
taller, I could get away with "lanky". As it is, I'm thin. REAL thin. I have
black hair which is (A) hidden by a hat usually, and (B) receding. Balding
at 20 - I'm proud, really! I do wear glasses, and ALWAYS have my dark blue
Croakies on, to prevent them from going ballistic. In my primary form (I'll
explain in a moment), I wear a black T-shirt, black jeans, tennis shoes, a
black baseball cap with a Bi-Peds button on the facing edge, and a light kit.
The kit consists of a backpack, with LOTS of wires leading out. I have a
strobe slung over my neck, two "accent" lamps (desk lamps), and a
heavy-duty outdoor orange extension cord. The desk lamps are hand held, and
the orange cord goes into the wall. I tend to put light into people's lives,
and into their music as well. In the secondary form, I wear ALL black - shirt,
slacks, fedora, shades, trenchcoat, shoes, vest, pocketwatch, and bow tie.
I look relatively menacing, at least until I open my mouth. From then on, the
best I can manage is not to seem like the caffiene addict I really am. My
tertiary form is that of the Noah Constrictor. In this form, I have some jeans
of some sort, and a T-shirt from whatever band is playing that night.

I tend to stay in Bi-Bulb form, although my MIB suit is fun, and my Noah
Constrictor form is enjoyable. As the Constrictor, I dance. That's all there
is to it. I dance, incidently, like a snake with really bad muscular control
problems. Imagine David Byrne and Elvis Costello fusing their motor control
systems, and you wouldn't be too far off.

In whatever form I am in, I am a friend. My job, as stated earlier, is to
bring light into people's lives. I can do this with my physical lights, or
(much better) emotionally. Not to sound maudlin, but my greatest joy is to
make people happy.

I am a root beer snob, and drink only certain kinds of it. IBC red caps,
Barq's, and A&W are all acceptable. Fanta's out! My birthday is on 9/16/72,
and I am beginning to celebrate later and later in the year.

If you have any other questions, just let me know! I'll be glad to help!

* Noah Ramon - The Bi-Bulb * Your only limitation is your own *
* Mail to : nar...@math.uh.edu * imagination - Beans Barton *

Karl Siewert

Jan 23, 1993, 4:03:16 PM1/23/93
>I am a root beer snob, and drink only certain kinds of it. IBC red caps,
>Barq's, and A&W are all acceptable. Fanta's out! My birthday is on 9/16/72,
>and I am beginning to celebrate later and later in the year.

<FANTA SUCKS POND WATER. IN FACT, IT IS POND WATER, LEMME BUY YOU
A SIOUX CITY SASPARILLA. KILLER STUFF, MONSIEUR LE HONK.

I'M FRENCH, WHY DO YOU THINK I HAVE THIS OUTRAGIOUS ACCENT.

<MARAUD OUT>

amanda rothman

Jan 23, 1993, 9:29:56 PM1/23/93

Amanda grins (as always) and says, "Well, I seem to frequent a silk shirt
with what Ekho calls "billowy sleeves" and black denim jeans tucked into
short black boots. I have dark brown hair which is thick, curly, and
impossible to brush... I like Coke and cream sodas mixed together with
crushed ice (I love eating ice!), my birthday is July 10, 1971 and I'm a
Blakes 7 fanati- uh, I mean enthusiast. I've been writing various (and
sundry) stories and poems set in that universe and enjoying myself immensely
while I'm at it." She looks over at Ekho who raises yet another eyebrow
(gee, how many eyebrows do you have, Ekho? Owww!).

"I, too have long dark hair, but straight and braided down my back. I
prefer black, often wearing a jumpsuit under a leather tunic and boots
(where do you think Amanda got her boot fetish from?) I am slightly taller
than Amanda, being 5'3" in height and a petite build also similar to my
associate. I've been partaking of Adrenalin and Soma, having been
introduced to the concoction by another associate of mine and my
'brother's'. I am five years old due to the fact that I am a clone of my
brother, but I appear to be approximately 25 whereas he is older.
Confusing, perhaps, but true. If you care to learn about the place I am
from, just come in with us to the Danger Room when we visit it in a day or
two. I have come to... appreciate the people in this Place. That is all I
will say on the subject."

Yours in Time and Space

Noah Ramon

Jan 23, 1993, 10:01:28 PM1/23/93
Slash (Maraud, that is...) writes :

> <FANTA SUCKS POND WATER. IN FACT, IT IS POND WATER, LEMME BUY YOU A
> SIOUX CITY SASPARILLA. KILLER STUFF, MONSIEUR LE HONK.

Good taste... I've only had Sioux City once or twice.

Mind you, it was incredible stuff! About once a month, I go to the "health
food" store and buy all the weird sodas I can. My current favorites are a kiwi
soda (I never realized others here even knew about kiwis - I thought they
HAD to be imported or something...) and various root beers (I can't remember
the names, unfortunately).
I also saw a lovely innovation - clear cans! I saw an unnaturally "shiny"
can, picked it up - and saw my fingers from the other side! I had to buy
a can just to put on my "weird liquids" hall of fame.

Drink up!

Karl Siewert

Jan 24, 1993, 1:40:35 AM1/24/93

>Slash (Maraud, that is...) writes :
>> <FANTA SUCKS POND WATER. IN FACT, IT IS POND WATER, LEMME BUY YOU A
>> SIOUX CITY SASPARILLA. KILLER STUFF, MONSIEUR LE HONK.

>Good taste... I've only had Sioux City once or twice.

>Mind you, it was incredible stuff! About once a month, I go to the "health
>food" store and buy all the weird sodas I can. My current favorites are a kiwi
>soda (I never realized others here even knew about kiwis - I thought they
>HAD to be imported or something...) and various root beers (I can't remember
>the names, unfortunately).
>I also saw a lovely innovation - clear cans! I saw an unnaturally "shiny"
>can, picked it up - and saw my fingers from the other side! I had to buy
>a can just to put on my "weird liquids" hall of fame.

<JA EVER SEE A RATHER OBNOXIOUS PURPLEY KINDA GIG CALLED KENTUCKY NIP?
PROBABLY THE WORLDS MOST SUGARY SUBSTANCE. MAN, IT KNOCKED MY
HYPOGLYCEMIC BUTT RIGHT OFF THE MAP. BIG OL BOOM AS MARAUD GOES BALLISTIC.

Noah Ramon

Jan 24, 1993, 3:07:50 AM1/24/93
In article <1jtdl3...@matt.ksu.ksu.edu> sie...@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Karl Siewert) writes:

><JA EVER SEE A RATHER OBNOXIOUS PURPLEY KINDA GIG CALLED KENTUCKY NIP?
>PROBABLY THE WORLDS MOST SUGARY SUBSTANCE. MAN, IT KNOCKED MY
>HYPOGLYCEMIC BUTT RIGHT OFF THE MAP. BIG OL BOOM AS MARAUD GOES BALLISTIC.
>
>MARAUD OUT>

No, but I need to! Man, that just sounds too neat... Being a fan of WEIRD
soft drinks, I gotta find some. I am proud to have found "Red Rattler", which
bills itself as "A darn good red drink". A sterling recommendation if I've
ever seen one...

One day : Beans and the Dr. Pepper...

Karl Siewert

Jan 24, 1993, 3:32:13 AM1/24/93

>No, but I need to! Man, that just sounds too neat... Being a fan of WEIRD
>soft drinks, I gotta find some. I am proud to have found "Red Rattler", which
>bills itself as "A darn good red drink". A sterling recommendation if I've
>ever seen one...

<YEAH. LIKE WHEN ONE OF MY ALTER EGOS CALLS HIMSELF THE MASTER OF MIMICRY.
GREAT LINE, BUT NO COMPETITION TO SPEAK OF. I HAVE FOUND A REALLY NASTY
CONCOCTION (NOT QUITE A SOFT DRINK) BILLED AROUND KANSAS AS MR FRUITY.
IMAGINE WATERY KOOLAID WITH JUST A HINT OF FRESH ANTIFREEZE. AND THE BOUQUET
IS TO DIE FROM.

>One day : Beans and the Dr. Pepper...

<TOGETHER?!!!? GOD FORBID. I'D EXPLODE.

LEAPING FROM TREE TO TREE,

Clive Grace

Jan 24, 1993, 7:32:00 AM1/24/93

... or perhaps a FAQ file with descriptions. But it'd be huge!
Especially if it included MIAs.
| .. "When I grow up, I want to stop being a computer journalist|
| .OO. and learn how to write." |
| O/\O |
| -- Tanais - friend to all furkindred|
|cli...@cix.compulink.co.uk | Bisexual knitter of quality since 1992|

pc...@eagle.wesleyan.edu

Jan 24, 1993, 3:57:39 PM1/24/93
Mighty Fine. And a Great Big Howdy.

The Rounder rises from the his habitual table near the back. I reckon I might
as well add my particulars to the growing list (*someone* is keeping track,
aren't they?). I stand about 5'6" tall (OK, that's in boots, but some of us
need a liitle help). My brown hair is at that shaggy length where I can't do
much with it except keep it under a hat. Lately, I've been wearing a red
baseball cap with the logo of the band "Rider's in the Sky" on it, but I have
others, mostly wool, as the season dictates. I nearly always have facial hair
(my original excuse seven years ago was that I hate to shave, now I just like
having something unusual). Currently, I sport a moustache that creeps down my
chin and about an inch or so beyond. I'm trying to see how long I can get it.
My clothes are usually a combination of t-shirts and jeans, thrift store finds,
and outdoor tech-weenie duds. When I *finally* graduate from here, I plan to
get a job in outdoor education, leading backpacking trips for at-risk
teenagers. (not a particularly net-compatible career) Otherwise, I flip
burgers at Bluegrass festivals, cook elaborate meals for my friends, and frolic
with Soba the dog (Gordon Setter/Springer Spaniel/Lab/Shepherd cross). My
birthday is feb 12, 1970, and I drink nearly any (good) beer, currently working
on New England Atlantic Amber and Oatmeal Stout (they pay their part time
workers in beer).

I chose my nom de callahans because many bluegrass songs mention "rounders,"
lonesome or otherwise--sort of a romanticized drifter. I often feel that
tension between wanting to set down some roots and a serious wanderlust.
Basically, I'm "...just a weary traveler, searching my way back
To the point along the rails where my wheels jumped the track
Like a lonely bird lost his way, flying all alone
Band of angels, lead me home."
--California

Rounder
pc...@eagle.wesleyan.edu
On the Bedtable:Recoil by Jim Thompson
On the Turntable:California, live at Winterhawk '92

Soprano

Jan 24, 1993, 1:03:07 PM1/24/93
In article <1993Jan22....@ee.ryerson.ca> dsp...@ee.ryerson.ca (DOUGLAS SPECK) writes:

>Hmmm, come to think about it, perhaps a standardized form of description
>would be in order, with a listing of Appearance, Favourite Drink, Place
>in the Bar, Birthdate, and Origin(city, country). On the other hand,
>perhaps people would like to go about it in their own inimitable fashions...

Soprano decides that it's time to take a walk over to the Light of Reality.
Standing beneath it, anyone who's looking in her direction notes that
there's been no change in her appearance -- just shy of 5'7" and 129lb, with
straight dark brown hair which is starting to show a frosting of silver at
her hairline, pulled back into a ponytail that falls to just below her
waist, and eyes that appear brown but are really hazel beneath her contact
lenses. She's wearing black leggings and above-the-ankle black boots
beneath an oversized flame-red sweater.

"I qualify as one of the older denizens of the Place, having been born on 5
September 1953 (yup, I hit the big four-oh this year! ;-), and I'm one of
that seemingly rare species, a native Californian living in California. I'm
a pharmacist by profession, a singer and quiltmaker by avocation, and I can
usually be found at the table that is covered with vocal scores and quilts
in various stages of completion. I'm partial to caffeine-free Pepsi, IBC
root beer and hot buttered rum, depending on the weather."

Soprano

"You're more than beginning -- you're learning to fly;
You feel like you're falling, but it passes in time...."
"From Me to You", Janis Ian
| Soprano (Lydia M. Uribe) ur...@jarthur.claremont.edu |
| Claremont, CA ur...@hmcvax.claremont.edu |
| Cats, quilts and diving -- what more could anyone ask? |

Jason

Jan 24, 1993, 7:00:08 PM1/24/93

(DOUGLAS SPECK) wrote:

> If everyone would
> post a decent( but fairly short) description of their appearance,
> I believe it would help everyone to `see' the Place better...

Jason stands up and introduces himself. He's a caucasian male human, 6 feet
tall, with blue eyes, a dark brown, close-trimmed beard, dark brown hair
drawn back into a short (4" long) pony-tail, and his hair is somewhat thin
on top. He's wearing a black Greek Fisherman's cap, a black leather jacket,
a white knit sports shirt with an open collar, blue jeans, and white
sneakers.

"Hi. I'm Jason. I'm 35 years old (Birthdate 8/9/57). I'm married to
Pegasus, who doesn't post here very often. And I share my e-mail address
with Thyra. I'll let Thyra introduce herself. My appearance here at
Callahans is almost exactly like the way I look in RL, except for this."

He points to a small oval plate of dark material on the back of his head,
just under his pony-tail. It's made of some sort of dark metal or plastic,
with two or three very small colored lights that infrequently blink on, and
two 5mm diameter openings, side-by-side. One 5mm cable runs from the left
jack, down the back of Jason's neck, and disappears inside his jacket
collar. The other one has a 5mm cable that connects to a laptop-sized
computer (about 11" x 8" - 1.25" thick) on the table next to him, with a
1-foot cubical holographic display.

"This thing on the back of my head is a cyberlink, a direct neural
interface that I use to control computers, cars, and other hardware. It's a
surgically implanted took common among people in my profession, in the time
I come from. I'm a Decker, and I live in the Seattle Sprawl in the year
2070. I make my living manipulating information and services in the Matrix
of computer information, represented in cyberspace. The small cyberdeck on
the table here has about as much computing power as one of your Cray
supercomputers today, and is considered a midrange workstation in my time."

The Light of Reality swivels over to shine on Jason. He remains precisely
as he was before, except that the cyberlink and cables disappear, and the
computer on the table is now a Macintosh PowerBook 140 laptop computer,
with a backlit LCD display and a network cable connected into the jacks on
the back and trailing off the table.

"In Realspace, I'm Jay Brandt, and I work full-time as the computer support
technician for the Architecture and Allied Arts school at the University of
Oregon. I'm the hardware/software/maintenance guru for the faculty and
students here, specializing in Macintosh support, but also covering DOS and
mainframe computers, and of course networking and managing their e-mail
server."

"I have a -very- wide range of interests, from writing, to woodworking,
just about all of the industrial arts, history, sci fi & fantasy books, all
sorts of things. It's easier to ask me 'do you know anything about . . .'
than it is to have me list all the field's I've studied."

Hugs,
Jason

Thyra

Jan 24, 1993, 7:19:45 PM1/24/93
(DOUGLAS SPECK) wrote:
> If everyone would
> post a decent( but fairly short) description of their appearance,
> I believe it would help everyone to `see' the Place better...

Thyra steps forward. She's about six feet tall, generally a female human,
but her skin is covered with a short, downy pelt of golden-brown fur. Her
hair is medium-brown, just a few shades darker than her fur. She has ears
like a housecat's, nestled in her hair, and also feline whiskers and a tail
like a short-haired cat. She's wearing a black velvet minidress, and a
matching inch-wide velvet choker collar, set with a round, faceted, 3/4
inch diameter blue sapphire, which matches the color of her eyes. She is
wearing no other clothing or jewelery, and is barefoot. There are feline
claws on her fingers and toes, usually kept retracted.

"Hi, I'm Thyra, and I share Jason's e-mail address. I'm 22 years old, and
my birthday is the same as Jason's, (August 9th). The most notable thing
about me is that I'm a shapeshifter. What you see now is the closest thing
I have to a 'normal' shape. I can change my appearance and physical shape
at will. From something as simple as this ... " She shakes her head, and
her hair changes to cyan blue with white highlights. "To complete changes
of shape." Her eyes flash bright blue, and she shrinks down in size. There
is now an ocelot sitting where Thyra was a moment ago, wearing a black
collar with a sapphire-blue clasp. It's eyes flash and her shape changes
again, becoming a black kitten with blue eyes, wearing a black collar with
a small blue bow on it. Another flash, and the kitten grows, becoming Thyra
again. "If I want to, I can become shapes that are not feline. I can even
become male or human. But usually there's at least something feline about
me, and some sort of velvet and/or sapphire at my throat."

"I also am a telepath and empath, and can do psychokinesis. I can cause
illusions that make others appear to change shape, like I did for Brumby so
he could be a real sea-horse, for the New Years party here."

The Light of Reality tries to swivel her way, and she dodges it expertly.

"I -live- in cyberspace, and don't make appearances in Realspace."

Purrs,
Thyra

Jason

Jan 24, 1993, 7:21:16 PM1/24/93
> dsp...@ee.ryerson.ca (DOUGLAS SPECK) writes:
> >Hmmm, come to think about it, perhaps a standardized form of description
> >would be in order, with a listing of Appearance, Favourite Drink, Place
> >in the Bar, Birthdate, and Origin(city, country). On the other hand,
> >perhaps people would like to go about it in their own inimitable fashions...

Jason adds one more thing. "Pegasus and I are in Eugene, Oregon, USA."

Chip Olson

Jan 24, 1993, 5:19:08 PM1/24/93
>dsp...@ee.ryerson.ca (DOUGLAS SPECK) writes:
>>Hmmm, come to think about it, perhaps a standardized form of description
>>would be in order, with a listing of Appearance, Favourite Drink, Place
>>in the Bar, Birthdate, and Origin(city, country). On the other hand,
>>perhaps people would like to go about it in their own inimitable fashions...

Name: Castellan <Chip Olson>

Date of Birth: Who knows? <November 4, 1967>

Appearance: Tall, muscular, stunningly handsome <average height, brown semi-
unmanageable hair, grey eyes, build shows evidence of too much beer and choco-
late and too little exercise>

Net Persona: General all-around amazingly cool guy <probably the biggest geek
on the Internet.>

Personality: Eccentric, funny, sensitive and caring <alternates between tel-
ling lame jokes everyone's heard 80 times and being gooey and maudlin to the
point of making one want to blow chunks. Does self-deprecating stuff like
this to conceal the fact he has an ego the size of a small midwestern state>

Dress: Tends towards black jeans and tie-dye when not at work <still hasn't
figured out this "matching" business>

Sexual Prowess: Does the word "stud" mean anything to you? <you mean, a piece
of wood? yeah, that about sums it up>

Hobbies: Homebrewing, programming <stinks up the entire house and comes up
with this black sludge, and couldn't program his way out of a wet paper bag
open at both ends with big EXIT signs>

Sports: Bicycling, skiing <will have blown out both knees by the time he's 30>

Musical Tastes: All over the map; particular fondness for old English/Celtic
folk and folk-rock <imagine Barry Manilow songs in which people get killed,
plus people doing things with accordions that ought to be banned by inter-
national treaties>

Musical Talent: Umm... err... I can tape CD's real good! <as far as actually
singing is concerned, still hasn't figured out this "key" business either.
Unfortunately, that doesn't stop him>

--
-Chip Olson. | ol...@husc.harvard.edu | ceo@{gnu.ai,silver.lcs}.mit.edu
This article is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and

Speaker-to-Minerals

Jan 25, 1993, 5:05:53 AM1/25/93
In article <1993Jan22....@ee.ryerson.ca>, dsp...@ee.ryerson.ca (DOUGLAS SPECK) writes:

>T-Bear stands up on a chair next to the bar, and shouts, "May I have
>your attention, PLEASE!..........Thank you. Now, ladies, gents and
>others ;), I have had an idea. Because I am relatively new here, I
>haven't got a good vision of what all the regulars look like, much
>less an idea of what all the newcomers look like. If everyone would
>post a decent( but fairly short) description of their appearance,
>I believe it would help everyone to `see' the Place better... I`ll
>start. I am a Chinese Giant Panda, about six feet (180 cm) tall when
>standing upright. My fur is the black and white pattern that you would
>expect, I eat lots of bamboo shoots as my usual meal, and my favourite
>drink is A&W Root Beer. My birthday is July 19, 1967, and my specialty
>is the T-Bear Hug(tm). My usual place in the Bar is a nice warm spot
>near the fireplace, out of line of fire of the incoming glasses. I hail
>from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. There, see? It's easy. :)"

OK, Speaker-to-Minerals (whose name comes from the fact that he performs a
similar function for scientists in dealing with computers as that performed for
Speaker-to-Animals did for the Kzinti in dealing with other sentient races) is
a bit strange to describe. You see, when he first entered the place, he was a
5'11" human weighing about 210 pounds, with glasses, brown hair (balding) and a
full beard and mustache (he could easily have been mistaken for Hank Williams,
Jr.). On his right wrist he wore a watch, and on his left, a bracelet engraved
with a snake coiling about a stick. He was, in other words, indistinguishable
from his alter-ego, Carl J Lydick. In the 15 months he's been in the place,
however, he seems to've been transmogrified into a Kzintosh of the same height
and weight (in other words, short, but otherwise normally-proportioned for a
Kzintosh). Carl, meanwhile, has lost even more hair (and what he's got is
going grey, especially in the sideburns; If this keeps up, I'll trade in my
brown frames for black, get rid of the beard and mustache, and start doing
Isaac Asimov impersonations :-). The weight's remained about the same.

Chua HakLien

Jan 25, 1993, 8:57:36 AM1/25/93

"Ok, my turn. Well, i'm a giant cockroach who likes to keep clean.
( Untidiness was nurtured, not natured.. =) ). I'm about 5'8", and
140 lbs. ( Gasp! ) I have interests in a whole bunch of things;
literature ( Kafka, Oates, and I try to read the Booker Prize winner
every year.. ), sf, baking ( cheesecakes and brownies.. ahhh!!! ),
RPG's, mythology and folklore, programming, teddy bears, basketball,
rockclimbing, hiking, biking and I'm now taking a course in sailing.
( No, havent' sunk anything yet.. ) And traveling as well.."

"My favourite drink is brown cow: Kahlua + Milk and ice, but I don't
really like to imbibe. I am constantly in search of good dim sum and
the ultimate chocolate fudge brownie....

"Well, that about clears it. As you can tell, I'm at Berkeley; gathering
point of a thousand clutures, and despite fee hikes and a devilish
administration spawned from Moloch, I pretty much enjoy being here...."

+

Karl Siewert

Jan 25, 1993, 11:59:02 AM1/25/93
lyd...@SOL1.GPS.CALTECH.EDU (Speaker-to-Minerals) writes:
>Kzintosh). Carl, meanwhile, has lost even more hair (and what he's got is
>going grey, especially in the sideburns; If this keeps up, I'll trade in my
>brown frames for black, get rid of the beard and mustache, and start doing
>Isaac Asimov impersonations :-). The weight's remained about the same.

Of course, you could always keep the facial hair, collect some of your old
t-shirts, and sell them at Grateful dead concerts.

Rie

mcsp...@dct.ac.uk

Jan 25, 1993, 11:55:39 AM1/25/93
In article <memo....@cix.compulink.co.uk>, cli...@cix.compulink.co.uk (Clive Grace) writes:

> ... or perhaps a FAQ file with descriptions. But it'd be huge!
> Especially if it included MIAs.

Well, as I told a few people recently.....I have lots of room....If I
can be bothered to delete stuff....so If everyone wants to...and only if they
think its a good idea....I'd be quite happy to keep a large desription file in
my account......It'd be using my account for something useful other than
mail.....I VOLUNTEER.....(what have I let myself in for?????)

Melandra.

The Insane Elf.

But here Cute Wolfrider.

Edmund Schweppe

Jan 25, 1993, 4:39:18 PM1/25/93
Merlinvin, realizing that he hasn't described *himself* in quite a while,
stands to deliver. He appears to be about six feet tall, with reddish-
brown hair and a reddish-brown beard to match. His grey cloak conceals a
very soft, grey leather vest, trousers and boots, as well as a silk tunic
in a much lighter shade of grey. (The cloak also has been known to
conceal a folded massage table and scented oil collection; other surprises
may be expected in the future.) A (currently) oaken staff rests next to
his chair. His blue eyes tend to twinkle, particularly when about to
indulge in a paroxysm of paronomasia...

"Greetings and permutations, friends! In VR, I am Merlinvin, a former D&D
wizard who started his career in the days of the three-booklet version of
D&D. After having worked my way up from twittish magic-user wannabe to
Great and Powerful Mage, Savior of the World, and Otherwise Ommipotent One
(and I was modest, too! :-) - I made a truly important discovery. No
matter how many times I saved the world, it never was ready to *stay*
saved. Not only that, but when *I* didn't save the world, it didn't come
to an end; somehow, things kept muddling along. I realized that the only
thing that taking on the Savior of the World label had gotten me was a lot
of unfriendly attention - so I retired."

"Best thing I ever did with myself, too. Now I polish up my skills at the
so-called `little' things in life; like hugging, backrubs, friendliness.
Of course, I *do* keep up with the occasional spell or three, depending on
what sort of effects my current huggee is likely to have on my clothing or
skin. Otherwise, I'll keep the spells to myself, and pass out the warm
fuzzies and awful puns with equal fervor."

"In RL, I am Ed Schweppe, programmer support person extraordinaire and
night student at Boston University, trying to get that BS that's so
important as the entry card in the programming field. I do give good
backrubs (although the table is unfortunately only in VR for now), and I
do make bad puns. Physically, the biggest difference between Merlinvin
and myself is that he has the medieval clothing and I have the pot
belly. I was born on July 1, 1961 (which, it seems, makes me relatively
elderly around here :-) and am currently quite partial to the various
beers of Samuel Adams. Not to say I'll turn down offers of other micro-
brewery products..."

"Oh, BTW, I usually net through dialup lines, so sometimes I get a bit
behind in my postings... the drcvax.af.mil address is my work one, which
doesn't support newsgroups but does handle email, so it's the one to use
for quick response during the work week."

Merlinvin sits down again - but his eyes are beginning to twinkle, and the
more experienced Callahanians start stocking up on peanuts...

Ed Schweppe o/k/a Merlinvin - schw...@acs.bu.edu,
(or for faster replies) eschweppe%drcoa1...@drcvax.af.mil
All standard disclaimers (also datclaimers and deotherclaimers) apply.

Jim Eikner

Jan 25, 1993, 3:59:39 PM1/25/93

Parakeet stands just outside the pool cast by the Light of Reality...

"Don't let the name throw ya. I ain't no bird. It's just that I used to
commercially raise the things and have lived around them my entire life. Here
in the bar I'm an inbred Texan complete with Tony Lama's, leathery skin, a
Stetson and a pearl-buttoned Amarillo Slim shirt... "

Parakeet steps gingerly into the light...

"But, in reality, I'm a 6'2" tall, 43 year old owner of a professional light
and sound company. My hair is rather long and grey, and my taste in clothes
runs towards sweatshirts, sneakers and loud Hawaiian shirts. I spent many
years in the bar and restaurant business. I chose my persona because I
figured every bar needed at least one red-neck... heh!"

Parakeet exits the light and returns to his two-top and beer...

--- Parakeet ---

--

"...for no man lives in the external truth among salts and acids, but in
the warm, phantasmagoric chamber of his brain, with the painted windows

Little red-headed girl

Jan 25, 1993, 7:50:40 PM1/25/93
"Descriptions? But I describe myself all the time! Oh, all right.
I am 5'3" tall, I have red hair down to my shoulder blades which is
usually messy, I wear glasses, and I am... ah... well endowed. Or as
a Monty Python might say, I have 'vast tracts of land.' In other words,
I look much the same here as I do in RL. The main difference is that my
sidekick Soora..."

<Hello!> chirps the little green fire lizard.

"... is capable of talking, flying, and even clutching here, but
in RL she is a very pretty soft sculpture. Also, I talk more here, when
I have time to be around. I'd say you'll get more of an idea of what I'm
like from listening to me than from any physical description! 8^)

"I have been married since April, I like to read all sorts of
books and occasionally I even get inspired enough to write a story or
a poem. I also love music, but unfortunately I don't know many people
who live near me who play instruments well enough to be partners
instead of students. I am open to discussion on _almost_ anything (I
found my limit in rec.arts.sf.written)."
--
+--------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| carrot | car...@bear.stonemarche.org |

KZAH...@miamiu.bitnet

Jan 25, 1993, 2:19:44 PM1/25/93
(Stuff about the need for descriptions that the mainframe is being
very inconsiderate in refusing to copy)

Magda-Wolf smiles shyly and agrees descriptions are a *very* good
idea! Her head is still spinning from trying to figure out who
what and when everyone is and then keep all the information straight.

"Well, I've already described a little of myself before, but if we're
turning this into a formal project for posterity and giggles, here goes
again!

"I'm a nonconformist werewolf (thanks for the description again, Lamp-
lighter!). That means I *love* garlic and I wear lots and lots of
silver (not to mention amber). I'm sort of a transdimensional traveller.
Where I come from is sort of (but not quite) like your 13th C europe.
Some of us have the ability to use gates to visit other places, and,
being incurably curious, I'm here to learn about 20th C Earth. When
I'm not in here visiting, relaxing in Wolf-form, and trying not to
get in too much trouble, I'm a graduate student.

"Appearance? In human form I'm a short, stocky female with *lots* of
long, unruly black hair. I'm rarely seen without an overloaded red
backpack that I have been known to pull really amazing things out of.
In wolf form, I am a short, stock, black furred, anthropomorphic (and
tail less) female wolf, wearing a loose red tunic over loose black pants
tucked into black boots. I wear lots of amber necklaces, silver rings
and earrings, a curved Mongolian cavalry saber named Schnuggles (yes, it's
engraved on the blade) over my shoulder, a curved and inlaid Arabic dagger
along the small of my back, a boot knife, and a bone-handled hunting
knife at my side. Ooooof! That enough detail for you?

"My favorite drink (Do I HAVE to pick just one) would probably be Irish
Cream, but I am more than fond of Fuki Plum wine, Sangria, Peaches and
Cream, Cherry Brandy, and Carambas (an invention by accident--chocolate
milk and Khalua). I've even been known to drink chocolate Kumiss.

"I'm usually either bouncing around the bar wherever it looks like I could
get in the most mischief, or hiding in a shadowy corner dealing with an
attack of the shy-and-self-conscious-es. When I'm not there, I'm perched
cross-legged on the floor or on top of the bar or a table.

"My birthday is 17 September--1967 for RL, 1202 for Magda-Wolf.

"RL origin gets a bit complex--I don't really belong/have a home
anywhere as we move around too much. I've lived in Kansas, Missouri,
Arizona, and Ohio. I've lived longest in Ohio, but I'd rather claim
Kansas as that's where I started out (born in KC). Magda-Wolf (or
Wolf Cub, depends on how adult I'm acting, I suppose) comes from
Wolfenthal--a hidden valley in what would be in your southern Germany
if it existed here.

"Pets, I've got a lot of, but I'll confine myself to the non-two-legged
kind here. One chihuahua who is under the impression that he is a
Japanese miniaturized Great Dane and a small, very VOCAL, mischievious
black and white kitten named Serendipity (she was an unexpected but
fortunate find). The fish, alas, are no more thanks to 'Dipity, but
my parakeet, Tolkien, is still around and whistling (Wolf whistles, what
else?).

"I think that's about it. By the way, DOES such a thing as a FAQ exist
for Callahan's and how do I go about getting hold of it?"

Magda-Wolf

KZAH...@miamiu.bitnet

Jan 25, 1993, 2:49:48 PM1/25/93
"Surely, M. <<Maraud>>, you have zat outrageous accent purely
to taunt ze engleesh peeg-dogs whose mothers were hamsters
and whose fathers smelled of elder berries!"

Magda-Wolf (who once used *The Holy Grail* to teach Medieval
social history to a freshman university class on Western
Civ. Honest, NO Kidding!)

KZAH...@miamiu.bitnet

Jan 25, 1993, 3:11:47 PM1/25/93
Magda rolls her eyes exasperatedly towards the sky and tries
very hard to look stern (muffled giggles tend to spoil the
effect)

"What do you mean no-body's asked, Laz? Didn't the description
request/idea specifically mention b-days and drinks? OK, so if
not, I--on the behalf of the Place and especially brain-dead
and befuddled newbies (i.e. me)--am officially asking!"

Magda-Wolf

S H L G Bisson

Jan 26, 1993, 4:48:31 AM1/26/93
The cartoon mouse blinks wumpishly, as the Light of Reality flashes into
his eyes. The rest of the Place sees a youngish chap, clean shaven, mousy
hair, short in the front, long at the back (he's a hirsute negative of Tanais!),
blue framed glasses, wearing black and purple.

"Hi, I'm Simon, Ignatz's RL half. There's really not much different (despite
not being 2D and 2 foot tall).

"I work in the bowels of Bath University, writing (sacrilige time here, folks)
FORTRAN electromagnetic field analysis software. Sometime hardware radio
frequency engineer, now software/applied physics.

"For fun, well, I help look after Bath Sf, build railways up wet Welsh mountains
and am often seen (for some not very obscure reason!) with MaryTail...

"I'm also an old-timer here in Callahans, having been around since May 1990,
just after it arrived here in Bath..."

The light passes on, heading off on a new journey of illumination.

---
Ignatz Mouse/Simon H Le G Bisson....net.jerriais...Reunite Pangaea!.............
-----

Shonias

Jan 26, 1993, 7:49:47 AM1/26/93
Anybody who cares to look in her direction will see that Shonias is a
smallish elf dressed in greens and greys. The greys become silver on
special occasions. She comes from a small people of the Silvan race
and is queen of her people, but they need little direction so she spends
much of her time travelling. She has been known to be seen with a snowy
owl.

In RL she is Ariane Blanch (soon to be Hemming) and is a non-descript,
very loud and obnoxious physics student.

Shonias Q'Tari

--
**********************************
I could have a nervous breakdown,

Speaker-to-Minerals

Jan 26, 1993, 8:15:31 AM1/26/93
In article <1993Jan26.0...@gdr.bath.ac.uk>, eess...@gdr.bath.ac.uk (S H L G Bisson) writes:
>"I work in the bowels of Bath University, writing (sacrilige time here, folks)
>FORTRAN electromagnetic field analysis software. Sometime hardware radio
>frequency engineer, now software/applied physics.

StM comments, "There's nothing wrong with using FORTRAN, as long as you're
doing number crunching (and as long as you remember that the FIRST index of an
array steps you through contiguous memory). Now, if you're doing anything with
complicated data structures, C lends itself more easily to that."

KZAH...@miamiu.bitnet

Jan 26, 1993, 2:07:29 PM1/26/93
"OOOOOOO!" Magda is positively jumping up and down with glee.
"You speak Mac? YIPPPPEEEE! "

The over-excited wolf makes a great effort and pulls herself
back in control and back into a comfortable decible range.
"Sorry to get so excited, but I'm a diehard Macuser at a
University that doesn't really like admitting they exist.
Consequently, I'm relaying all this via IBM at the main
computer labs when I can get into them. I have a Mac at home
and, as a student, I can connect to the University's mainframe,
but I DON'T KNOW HOW TO CONNECT A MAC AND NO ONE ELSE HERE
SEEMS TO KNOW EITHER! Help, Jason? Can you at least tell
me what I need to know to start asking intelligent questions
that will force them to figure it out?"

Aaaarrrrooo
Magda-(the wistfully waiting)Wolf

Alan Ralph

Jan 26, 1993, 5:23:45 PM1/26/93
In article <1993Jan26.0...@gdr.bath.ac.uk> eess...@gdr.bath.ac.uk (S H L G Bisson) writes:
>"I work in the bowels of Bath University, writing (sacrilige time here, folks)
>FORTRAN electromagnetic field analysis software. Sometime hardware radio
^^^^^^^

>frequency engineer, now software/applied physics.

"Your dark secret would appear to be showing, Ignatz old chap..." :-)

>"For fun, well, I help look after Bath Sf, build railways up wet Welsh mountains
>and am often seen (for some not very obscure reason!) with MaryTail...

"Ain't that the truth!" :-)

| Alan Ralph, 98 Gammons Lane, Watford, Herts. WD2 5HY Tel. (0923) 230097 |
| Internet: mtem...@redunser.demon.co.uk CIX: aralph CI$: 100025,1551 |
| Alias: Kimberley MonTemplar Esq., sometime regular in alt.callahans :-) |
| Brought to you c/o Demon Internet Services - FULL access to the Internet |
| for just UKP 10 + VAT a month. Email inte...@demon.co.uk for more info. |
| *********** My .sig , my site, my opinions. So now you know. ************ |

Stephen McNamara

Jan 26, 1993, 8:15:59 PM1/26/93
The brumby seems to have been driven almost into lurkerdom by RL
pressures right now. He is still reading however.

"I don't really recall when the last time I gave a full description of
myself actually. Oh well, it's probably about time anyway."

The brumby is a silver-grey feral horse with a very slight bluish tinge
from wandering around the silicon pathways of the net. He isn't a
particularly large horse, though he acts as though he is, and while he
looks quite nice he isn't as handsome as he likes to think. The personality
behind the brumby is a sort of mixture of my own and that of two horses
that I know. One is a trotter stallion (who provides most of the conceited
side of the persona, he is convinced that he is Epona's gift to equine
kind) and the other is a mischevious, little bay gelding who just likes to
tell mares that he is a stallion. I've been told that Ambrose (the gelding)
and I have a lot in common. Knowing him as I did (before he got moved away)
I'm not sure if that was supposed to be a compliment or not!

In RL I am 6'1", 25 years old, with far too much very fine, curly
ash-blond hair. For now it's pulled back into a pony-tail as something of
an experiment. I've got a narrow face with what I've been told are fairly
distintive grey eyes that everyone is hoping my daughter will inherit. I
usually wear a brown felt hat of the sort used in 'The Man from Snowy River'
movie (or so it says inside) and a blue coat with little badges of horses.
The current ones are a rearing black stallion, a paint, and a taffy. There
is also a small slice of a mandlebrot set, which gets questions asked.
Everyone knows what a horse is but 'What's that funny coloured pattern on
your badge?'
Other than that, I am married (To Robyn, aka 'The Cosmic Froggy') with a
six week old daughter named Jenny. (Which anyone who's been here more than
five weeks knows about. :-) I've recently finished a B.Sc. in Computer
Science, am trying to struggle through a Graduate Diploma in Digital
Communications and should be looking for work, but I seem to have all my
time taken up trying to look after Robyn and Jenny right now.

All this is far too long, I ramble when I am sleepy. Ahhh well.

--
The Silver Brumby of bru...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au
the Silicon Plains bru...@zikzak.apana.org.au

The grass is always greener on the other side of the network.

Jimmy Malcolm Pierce

Jan 26, 1993, 8:25:59 PM1/26/93
Tanais

>... or perhaps a FAQ file with descriptions. But it'd be huge!

"Yup, we did have a 'bibliography thing awhile back. But it was alot
of posts... But I'll make ours simple:

DJ aka Dreamy Jim aka NickD. 6' 2" white guy but like cool, grey
hair, 219 pounds { and shrinking !} remembers B&W tv as the only tv
shows available, spent 6 wonderful {?!?!} years in the Navy, works
with computers, has done some odds and sods of sort-of jokes...

Linda the StarShip. 7' 6" tall silvery woman, wears a string bikini
on informal occasions, weight unknown { it varies by form anyhow... },
remembers combat with many larger starbattlewagons, is a computer,
thinks Bosskins is cute when he blushes...

Robbie the Robot, a 3' tall robot that looks like a combination of
R2D2 of StarWars and Robbie of Forbidden Planet, likes to cook bar-be-queue
{ which may or maynot be edible from time to time... }, remembers that combat
all too well, is not necessarily a computer but might be, wonders what
Linda sees in DJ...

And of course Spider the Holographic Car ! Has only appeared once in this
venue. Is an intelligent car, likes to take SEA and DJ roller skating in
Low-Earth-Orbit. { RSN }.

Weapons of the above: none shown in the bar. But they are there...

Ooops ! DJ is a Commodore aboard the StarShip Linda." DJ.

Oh BTW, I can think of only one way to figure out what doug looks
like. Sift your vision through here in Callahan's at all the beings
who don't look like doug, the being that remains might be doug...

--
Jim Pierce Bach. of Sci. in Applied Computer Science USM
jmpi...@whale.st.usm.edu Disclaimer: Standard.

Jimmy Malcolm Pierce

Jan 26, 1993, 8:41:09 PM1/26/93
>Magda-Wolf (who once used *The Holy Grail* to teach Medieval
>social history to a freshman university class on Western
>Civ. Honest, NO Kidding!)

"Great Ghu ! You didn't !" Linda. ROFL

I can just see the other professors now...

Stephen McNamara

Jan 26, 1993, 8:45:57 PM1/26/93
All these descriptions are starting to get mixed up in what passes for
the brumby's mind.

nar...@casc.math.uh.edu (Noah Ramon) writes:
>Okay, I guess it's my turn. (sound kinda like Eeyore, huh?)

The brumby tries to make a braying noise. It doesn't work.

>Oh, you want more, eh? Okay, okay... I stand about 5'10" (I think) - if I were
>taller, I could get away with "lanky". As it is, I'm thin. REAL thin. I have

"There's nothing wrong with being thin! As long as you aren't doing it
because some ad persuaded you that it's cool or something."

So speaks the person who for the first time in his life has reached
normal weight for his height, and that only because he was on medical
advice to rest and put on weight over the last couple of months.

David Snyder

Jan 26, 1993, 10:39:13 PM1/26/93
The Dalek looks like, well hmmm, he looks like a Dalek. If you know
what a Dalek is, you know what the Dalek looks like (except that
his normal Dalek sidearm has been replaced by a highspeed peanut gun.)

If you don't know what a Dalek is, well, here we go-
The Daleks are a race of cyborgs from the planet Skaro. Originally they
were a humanoid race called the Kaleds, but thanks to a dirty nuclear
war they mutated into a nasty looking crab thing about the size of a cat.
Davros, a mad Kaled scientist, built robotic shells to contain there
creatures, and the results were the Daleks. Davros also genetically
engineered the creatures such to remove all postive emotions.
(The Dalek is of course an exception, having had the positive emotion
part of his brain reactivated be the influence of Callahans place.)

Physically, Daleks are about five feet tall and resemble nothing as
closely as old fashioned salt shakers. They have three appendages, one an
eye stalk at the top, the second a manipulator arm that looks kind
of like a plunger, and the third normally an energy weapon.

In RL of course the Dalek (aka David J. Snyder) possesses none of these
traits. He is nineteen, about 6'4, has usually dishevilled brown hair
(which inevitably needs cutting) and is studying computer science at a
well-known Ivy League University.

Both Daleks were born on 13 April 1973 and both have undetermined
favorite drinks. (The RL one hasn't decided, and the virtual one
is still working on finding a way to get alcohol into his nutrional
intake centers.)

The Dalek

Gecko-boy

Jan 26, 1993, 11:02:32 PM1/26/93
OK, OK, I may as well join in on this:

Patrons may notice a table near the wall piled with textbooks,
behind which sits Gecko-boy, a tall, skinny haole* guy (*that's
Caucasian, to you mainland sorts) wearing a bright aloha shirt
and jeans. He has wire-rim glasses for near-sightedness, a roman
nose, and crew-cut brown hair.

"Mike, can you shine the harsh LoR this way?"

The bartender obliges, and the patrons can see that Gecko-boy
looks much the same in RL, though perhaps somewhat less ...
reptilian.

"Thanks, that's quite enough. There's not much else to tell.
I'm here in hawaii trying to complete my eternal bachelor's
degree, which was once to have been in philosophy (way back,
at NYU in New York) but somehow has become computer science.
I was born in '68, which makes me young enough to drink.
I'm unhappily unmarried -- my VSO, Ms Rabbit, resides in NYC,
which is vast oceans and a fairly large continent away."

"In my spare time (hah! private joke...) I'm the co-founder
of a struggling game company, an avid reader of fiction,
occasional scribbler of same, and Wahine volleyball fan."

"Is someone taking all this down? No? Ah well. Oh, and
to any newcomers I may not have welcomed already, welcome
to Callahans."

With that, Gecko-boy goes back to reading a massive tome
entitled "Automata Finita and Other Black Magicks."

He looks up again. "Oh yeah -- I'm also lurking." ;-)

...da geck'

--
Mike Wasson (Gecko-boy) | U Hawai'i/Fat Messiah Games
mwa...@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | #include <std_disclaimer.h>

Splash!

Jan 27, 1993, 4:04:31 AM1/27/93
laz...@byron.u.washington.edu (Fred Sloniker) writes:

>... and not Pepsi's brand-- their commercials offend human intelligence.

Uh-huh!

Splash!

--
Splash! *To love is to LIVE!*
(aka Mike van Keulen -- e-mail: keu...@csuvax1.murdoch.edu.au)

Little red-headed girl

Jan 27, 1993, 5:45:43 AM1/27/93
In article <1993Jan27....@ra.msstate.edu> jmpi...@whale.st.usm.edu (Jimmy Malcolm Pierce) writes:
>>Magda-Wolf (who once used *The Holy Grail* to teach Medieval
>>social history to a freshman university class on Western
>>Civ. Honest, NO Kidding!)
>
> "Great Ghu ! You didn't !" Linda. ROFL
>
> I can just see the other professors now...

"Well, my Arthurian Lit professor used it at Brandeis... and she
expected us to answer questions on it on the final, no less!"

Rachel

Splash!

Jan 27, 1993, 4:55:03 AM1/27/93

Splash looks up at the call for descriptions. "I seem to recall a series
of descriptions some ... ummm ... 6 months ago ... gee, was it that long?
Ah well, I'll have another go."

Splash is really a VR image of his RL self ... 5'11" tall, and about 65kg
(about 140-145lb), ie. medium build. I have medium to dark brown hair,
which was down to my shoulders and generally unruly until September, when
I had it cut for a job interview. It is now side-parted, revealing a high
brow; there's also a growing patch of thinning hair on the top, but I
can't see that part, so I don't worry about it :-) I have well-built legs
and shoulders, the hallmarks of a swimmer, which reflects my interests.
I'm a PhD student (nearing completion - I think) in marine biology, at
Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia. As regards dress, I usually
wear shorts (usually black) and a t-shirt with some sort of brightly
coloured aquatic motif on it), black leather sandals, and I carry a
handbag (men's style wristbag), which contains any number of surprising
items, and is therefore surprisingly heavy.

I have a hobby interest in computers, aside from what I need for my work,
although no formal training (except a BASIC programming course in
undergrad). Despite this, I'm the unofficial trouble-shooter in our
department; at least, all the secretaries come to me when they have
problems with their computers and software, rather than go to the official
computer support person for the Uni. I've only just started charging for
my services, when I realised I was spending more time working on computer
problems than marine biology!

I spend my PhD time either diving for my field work, or in the lab doing
awful things to marine plants. I have my own boat, which I'm slowly
turning into a floating computer laboratory - all I need now is a small
power station to run all the gadgets on it :-) My research area is
seagrass ecology, and physical factors affecting marine plants. I'm
currently looking for work (real work, as in money type work).

At home, I live in a de facto relationship with a psychology/statistics PhD
student/assistant lecturer. We have four kids - Lesley's two girls from a
previous relationship (Jessica, 10 and Rebecca-May, 13), and our own two,
Jayme, 19 months and Ashlee, 3 days. We also have two dogs (Cavalier King
Charles Spaniels).

Splash is very much like my RL self, except he sometimes arrives in a damp
condition, and sends soggy postcards and notes from time to time.

RL birthday: May 15 1963
Usual drinks: black coffee, Bundaberg rum and Coke, iced milk chocolate

Splash!

Oh yeah, nearly forgot; I'm vegetarian (ie. no dead animals), but not
rabid about it.

Mary Branscombe

Jan 27, 1993, 4:42:00 AM1/27/93

Ignatz talks about being Simon...
and MerryTail puts out a lazy tail to deflect the Light of Reality
"Description of you in here, they said, sweet mouse ;-)
How about mentioning the fact that you're a cartoon mouse carrying a
backpack of holding and the ACME catalogue?
Just a little bit distinctive, no??"
MerryTail grins again
"OK, he's got the backpack of holding in RL as well ;-)"
+-------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| | |
|I know I type "teh" for "the" My fingers have their own accent ;-) |
| OK, I just can't type ;-)) |
+-------------------------------------------+--------------------------+

Clive Grace

Jan 27, 1993, 10:47:00 AM1/27/93

> "I think that's about it. By the way, DOES such a thing as a FAQ
exist
> for Callahan's and how do I go about getting hold of it?"

A FAQ file appears as if by magic in Magda-Wolf's Mailbox. "Glad to be
of service Ma'am", Tanais lifts his hat gracefully and bows in a wide,
low sweeping arch in the way often emulated by young men of the court,
his tail sweeping a wide curve behind and around his feet rakishly, yet
just at the right angle to address a beautiful wolf such as she. "If I
may offer you the next dance Madam? A Galliard or La Bouree? In my
travels I was taught by Antoine Emaraud -- one time dancing master to
the Duke of Brunswick".

S H L G Bisson

Jan 27, 1993, 1:42:50 PM1/27/93
In the referenced article, lyd...@SOL1.GPS.CALTECH.EDU writes:
>StM comments, "There's nothing wrong with using FORTRAN, as long as you're
>doing number crunching (and as long as you remember that the FIRST index of an
>array steps you through contiguous memory). Now, if you're doing anything with
>complicated data structures, C lends itself more easily to that."

"True, but FEA is a nasty (but extremely useful!) technique that relies on
a lot of complex (in all the senses!) matrix manipulations, in order to
solve a system of partial differential equations.

"In my case these happen to be the low frequency subset of Maxwell's equations
and a differential model of the thermal diffusion equation.

"I think that counts as number crunching... Thank goodness for our Snake
farm... Though if we get the Alpha machine money, we'll really get the
solution times down!"

Ignatz grins.

----Ignatz Mouse/Simon H Le G Bisson----net.jerriais----Reunite Pangaea!-------

Stephen R. Savitzky

Jan 27, 1993, 12:50:21 PM1/27/93
"Descriptions," says the Mandelbear, "Now, that's an idea. It's been
a while, and I don't think I've posted a full set of descriptions for
the Starport folx since Emmy was born. Well, here we go--old-timers
hit "N" now:

"On the chalkboard, you'll find something like the following:

The Mandelbear Steve Savitzky st...@crc.ricoh.com
Genever gin, single-malt Scotch 1947 March 13

The Flowercat Colleen Savitzky
Gin & Tonic, single-malt Scotch 1952 March 16

Kathryn of Chaos Katy Savitzky
Diet coke 1985 July 6

Emerald Emmy Savitzky
milk 1992 March 25

"The Mandelbear started out in Callahans as a medium-sized teddybear.
He is presently a three-dimensional cross-section of a four-
dimensional fractal, usually the one defined by iterating z^3+c, with
Mandelbrot sets in one direction and Julia sets in the other. The
cubic Mandelbrot set looks a lot like a sort of weird teddy-bear made
out of hearts, with two antenna-like structures on its head. It is,
of course, infinitely fuzzy."

The Mandelbear moves under the Light of Reality, to reveal a short,
overweight, slightly ursine, middle-aged computer scientist with
salt-and-pepper hair and beard, dressed in black. "Enough of that.
My chief claim to fame in Callahans is having created what is now
called the Danger Room, as a sort of marker for threads involving
violence not intended to harm uninvolved bystanders."

Next to him a large, reddish-brown Cheshire cat slowly fades into
existance. "This is the Flowercat. She's not presently on the net."
The cat fades out; the grin is the last to go. As the grin passes
quickly under the Light of Reality, one gets a brief glimpse of a
large lady with gorgeous grey-gold eyes, dark-brown hair with a bit of
white in it, and an orchid corsage.

The Mandelbear walks over to Table 28-X, where the robots, computers,
and cyborgs hang out, and picks up a guitar. It is a small, mahogany
Martin O-15 with bronze-wrapped silk-and-steel strings, and in
Callahans the soundbox is mostly occupied by an artificially-
intelligent computer with a beautiful singing voice. "This is
Snuggles."

"Shut up and play me," says Snuggles. The Mandelbear shuts up, sits
down, and starts noodling somewhere around the key of D minor.
--
\ --Steve Savitzky-- \ 343 Leigh Ave \ REAL HACKERS USE AN AXE!
\ st...@crc.ricoh.COM \ San Jose, CA 95128 \ Free Cyberia!

Speaker-to-Minerals

Jan 28, 1993, 7:45:09 AM1/28/93
In article <1993Jan27....@gdr.bath.ac.uk>, eess...@gdr.bath.ac.uk (S H L G Bisson) writes:
>"I think that counts as number crunching... Thank goodness for our Snake
>farm... Though if we get the Alpha machine money, we'll really get the
>solution times down!"

If you get an Alpha, which PAL are you going to get with it? Unix or VMS?

Chip Olson

Jan 28, 1993, 3:53:05 AM1/28/93
In article <carro...@bear.stonemarche.org> car...@bear.stonemarche.org (Little red-headed girl) writes:

>>>Magda-Wolf (who once used *The Holy Grail* to teach Medieval
>>>social history to a freshman university class on Western
>>>Civ. Honest, NO Kidding!)

> "Well, my Arthurian Lit professor used it at Brandeis... and she

>expected us to answer questions on it on the final, no less!"

"At Arisia, there was a filk band called "The Boogie Knights" who did a bunch
of really funny songs to familiar tunes, ex. "Castle Transylvania" to the
tune of "Hotel California". The real masterpiece, though, was "The Day The
Table Died", a chronicle of King Arthur's Court to the tune of "American Pie":

So hail, hail to the fellows in mail
Slaying dragons, saving damsels, chasing after the grail
We fought off evil 'til our faces were pale,
Wondering if there was a chance we might fail,
Could there be a chance we might fail.."

--
-Chip Olson. | ol...@husc.harvard.edu | ceo@{gnu.ai,silver.lcs}.mit.edu
This article is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.

S H L G Bisson

Jan 29, 1993, 5:15:23 AM1/29/93
In the referenced article, mtem...@redunser.demon.co.uk writes:

>"Your dark secret would appear to be showing, Ignatz old chap..." :-)

"Careful my young friend, for you meddle in the affairs of those who
declare COMPLEX*16 as a matter of course, who wield the incredible power
of the BLOCK DATA statement, and who really aren't bothered about stdio.h"

Ignatz laughs. Picking up a large sack of peanuts, he drops them on MonTemplar
in true UK Callahans style - without removing the sack.

"By the way - I owe you these from before Christmas - from my birthday in fact!
Just because I was off-net doesn't mean I miss a pun - I have my spy!"

The cartoon mouse pauses, realising he'd just given something away...

----Ignatz Mouse/Simon H Le G Bisson----net.jerriais----Reunite Pangaea!--------

Noah Ramon

Jan 28, 1993, 8:12:38 PM1/28/93
Magda, how do (or how should) you connect? I am connected from home, but
it's through a simple term program (White Knight, if you're interested) to
the UNIX machines at school. You could try that, and just use the same
commands as on the mainframe itself. Or talk to Jason, and see how he gets
his newsreader to work - I can't without MacTCP or something like that...
Gods, how I would love a point-and-click for picking newsgroups... Or using
MS Word for my editor... ah well...

Moof!

* Noah Ramon - The Bi-Bulb * Your only limitation is your own *
* Mail to : nar...@math.uh.edu * imagination - Beans Barton *

Jason

Jan 28, 1993, 8:00:45 PM1/28/93
In article <93026.1407...@MIAMIU.BITNET>, <KZAH...@MIAMIU.BITNET>
wrote:

Jason puts on his 'Computer God' hat, which looks strangely similar to his
usual black Greek Fisherman's hat, except that it has several cloisene pins
and metal buttons attached to it, sporting Apple Computer logos, 'Autorized
Service Technician', 'College Sales Rep', and other indications that he has
worked in all aspects of Mac sales, service and user support since it was
introduced. Which he has. The Light of Reality shines briefly on his
cyberdeck, revealing it for an Apple PowerBook 140.

"Well, now you're -really- going to have a reason to give me an
enthusiastic hug!" he says with a <big> grin.

"Tell you what. E-mail me at <JBr...@aaa.uoregon.edu>, and we can discuss
exactly what you need to know, do and ask. It will take -far- too much
bandwidth to discuss it all here, but I'll be only to happy to help."

He takes Magda-Wolf by the arm, and they sit down to discuss the sometimes
tedious details of specific connectivity problems.

Hugs,
Jason

Clive Grace

Jan 29, 1993, 9:09:00 AM1/29/93

"Well, I guess I should add my description to the thread" mutters Tanais
as he ponders just what he looks like -- actually he's wanted to do this
for a while but has been busily working (you'd not believe it by the
number of posts he's been making), so here goes.

Putting his fiddle down, Tanais looks at the patrons of the
Place and clears his throat. "Dear friends," he begins "My name is
Ro'Jiro Tanais, I am an anthropomorphic fox -- I walked in out of the
cold in mid December 1992. My friends just call me Tanais as our society
places what you call 'Christian Names' last. My height is approximately
5'8", weight is 11.5 Stone, (forgive the imperial measurements -- that's
what? 140 pounds?-ish?). I wear a grey trenchcoat, a small "pillbox" cap
that can be turned inside out -- depending on my frame of mind. Next to
me is a nearly empty jug of Tequila, Salted rim, no ice, no cherry, my
favourite drink -- that's my 'usual' -- if anyone's buying.

"I carry everything I need in a brown leather satchel... as
you've probably heard, I play an old victorian fiddle that I "rescued"
and bid for in an auction and had restored some seven years ago. It's
never been a classical instrument, but I've only just started
realising that..." He paused as he looked into the fire and then at the
Magda Wolf. "I... I am a dreamer -- and I am becoming a storyteller --
but a storyteller of truths".

At this comment the light of truth shines on him and the red and
white muzzle is gone along with the exquisite whiskers. His black-rimmed
pointed ears disappear under a mop of hair, whereas his big bushy tail
just vanishes into a pair of colourful patchwork trousers and a black
floppy sweater -- but the rest remains the same, the height, the weight,
the trenchcoat, the bag even the fiddle and bow remains under his arm.
His eyes are deep brown, his hair is also brown -- but with some of
Tanais's red as highlights sharing space with one or two grey hairs. He
is 28 and clean shaven. Born on the 19th March 1964 -- his favourite
beverage is what Tan in the comic book "Fusion" would call 'Bheer'
(Sol/Dos/Tsing Tao/Tiger Beer -- that sort of stuff).

"The Name's Clive Grace... uh... excuse me", said Clive as he
winced under the light, and he pulled out a pair of sunglasses, "I don't
like strong lights because I stupidly took too many tablets some months
back -- a reaction to the tabs has been to make me ever so slightly
photosensitive and "shy" of bright artificial lights... I dunno yet if
it's permanent". He adjusted the frames and smiled at his friends and
his lovers -- the smile was alarmingly close to the deep-joweled smile
of Tanais. "Under all that fur and fluff Tanais is actually a *lot* like
me" -- said Clive as he pushed his hand out of the beam of light to look
at Tanais's white hairy paw, pulling it back to look at his 'real' hand.
"I'm a freelance journalist, well... I am now. I write articles for a
living, although I used to be an Editor -- a damn good one as well". I
bought a house with Mary (known here as Merrytail) and then split up
with her." He laughs at the irony of his "bad" timing, but it's a gentle
laugh -- he's not bitter and he's not in pain. Heck, he and Ignatz
seemed to have hit it off rather well actually -- another person he will
one day call his friend he is sure.

"I sorted my life out and realised I am turning out to be a
'traveller' -- at least for the time being. I'm more self-contained and
independent these days", he holds up a hand to some patrons in the bar,
some are lurkers -- "not always though, I can be very much in need of
friends... the place is good for that.

"Well, what more can I say? I am Clive. I believe in the power
of dreams". At this he moves out of the light and Tanais reappears in
front of the patrons. He moves to Magda and sits. Tanais is as he
appears in Clive's dreams.

Splash!

Jan 30, 1993, 3:01:32 AM1/30/93

Splash rereads his self-description and mutters "Rats! Hrr-hrrum. This I
_did_ forget: I also wear black wire-frame glasses (non-tinted) on
account of my short-sightedness. For some reason, I generally forget
about my glasses. Oh yeah, I also have a gap between my top front teeth,
which folks around me say is quite distinctive." Thinking for a moment,
he adds "Oh, the things you take for granted! I'm also clean-shaven, but
hairy everywhere else (except for that patch of thinning on my pate, which
I'm choosing to ignore :-) )"

KZAH...@miamiu.bitnet

Jan 29, 1993, 2:05:59 PM1/29/93
Magda-Wolf nods her head violently while shaking with uncontrollable
giggles.

"Oh yes I did! I really *did* teach Western Civ with Monty Python.
Admittedly, it was an "extra" late afternoon session and I explained
very carefully to the gang that one of the writers for MP was a medieval
social historia. We also stopped the tape frequently to disect the
social history beneath the slapstick. You're right tho'--it took a
HECK of a lot of explanations to the supervising prof and the
department chair. The students did great, but the department
would never let me do it again. Sigh ...."

Speaker-to-Minerals

Jan 29, 1993, 2:13:38 PM1/29/93
In article <memo....@cix.compulink.co.uk>, cli...@cix.compulink.co.uk (Clive Grace) writes:
>My height is approximately 5'8", weight is 11.5 Stone, (forgive the imperial
measurements -- that's >what? 140 pounds?-ish?).

Well, at 14 pounds/stone, that'd be about 160 pounds.

> "The Name's Clive Grace... uh... excuse me", said Clive as he
>winced under the light, and he pulled out a pair of sunglasses, "I don't
>like strong lights because I stupidly took too many tablets some months
>back -- a reaction to the tabs has been to make me ever so slightly
>photosensitive and "shy" of bright artificial lights...

Ooh. That's nasty. Just any artificial light, or are fluorescents worse?
I ask because you say:

>I dunno yet if it's permanent".

and once, when I was a teenager, I came down with a nasty case of weed
poisoning that left me extremely sensitive to ultraviolet for a couple of
months. Really frustrating. Middle of the summer, and I couldn't go outside
for even 5 minutes without my skin reddening and breaking out in welts. Also,
I found both sunlight and fluorescent light quite uncomfortable to my eyes.
Anyway, the reason I bring this up is as a note of encouragement: If your case
is anything at all like mine, there's hope that it'll be temporary (though it
won't seem it at the time, of course).

Mary Branscombe

Jan 29, 1993, 10:54:00 AM1/29/93

the Dalek still can't drink?
MerryTail rummages in her large black bag, fetching out something
that looks like a radio aerial and a bunch of nut'n'bolts and....
she fiddles about a bit then wanders over the the Dalek.
"I think this might help..... if I can just connect this, bend that,
attach teh other and...
OK! try sucking up something through that...
let's see, it's friday, i finished the awful issue (A silent swirl of
papers and floppy disks and computers appears briefly behind her
head) and I feel like something that's too alcholhic for Ignatz and
Tanais - giggle
Mike - equal parts framboise, sake and stolichnya served at blood
heat, please - for two"
*grin*
one tipsy dalek coming up?

Alan Ralph

Jan 30, 1993, 8:40:32 AM1/30/93
In article <memo....@cix.compulink.co.uk> ma...@cix.compulink.co.uk writes:

>the Dalek still can't drink?
>MerryTail rummages in her large black bag, fetching out something
>that looks like a radio aerial and a bunch of nut'n'bolts and....
>she fiddles about a bit then wanders over the the Dalek.
>"I think this might help..... if I can just connect this, bend that,
>attach teh other and...
>OK! try sucking up something through that...
>let's see, it's friday, i finished the awful issue (A silent swirl of
>papers and floppy disks and computers appears briefly behind her
>head) and I feel like something that's too alcholhic for Ignatz and
>Tanais - giggle
>Mike - equal parts framboise, sake and stolichnya served at blood
>heat, please - for two"
>*grin*
>one tipsy dalek coming up?

IN-TOXI-CATE! IN-EBRI-ATE! :-)

Lyle Harwood

Jan 31, 1993, 12:05:46 AM1/31/93
Jammer sighs.

"Again? I thought I just finished all that.
OK.

5'10, nothing remarkable. Blue jeans, blue work shirt. The only things
faintly remarkable about me are that my hair and feathers indicate a
San Poil Warrior, twice wounded.
In keeping with tribal traditions, I'm never unarmed, these people here
trust me.

Oh, yeah.
This is Warrior. He's a large (for a cat) black panther, I met him in
a vision, and share a soul with him.
He's about 60% smart, and the rest is pure wild...
He guards the perimeter, and never sleeps.
He never stands down. ever. The perimeter he guards"

Jammer grins.

"...is wherever I tell him it is."

Jammer stares at Warrior for a moment.

"Oh. Warrior wants to know if you hunt.
I don't hunt, I don't kill, I leave all that to Warrior, my life is
much simpler that way.
My tribe has an average life expectancy of 42, so at 35, they think I'm
an Elder. I think an Elder is somone who has assumed responsibility
often enough to avoid it wherever possible, but they have other ideas...

There are other military veterans here, they're sort of a quiet bunch,
since no one else here is admitting theirs, I'll begin..
We've all made mistakes. I did my time, I'm sure there are others here
who have, also. I was in Walla Walla. For brevity, I'll let all the
county and city jails slide...

No one here appears to hold it against me.
It's the main reason I don't drink alchohal anymore.
Funny thing, that, havn't had any whiskey since 1981, and havn't done
any time since 1981...
Ye don't think there's a connection, do ye?
Well, White Man, have a drink. I drink mocha, it's a strong Coffee, if
yer
around next N Year's eve, I'll tell ye how I got hooked on Strong
Coffee.

Jammer signal Mike that The Wee White Man with the Shiny Arm has a drink
paid for.

S H L G Bisson

Feb 1, 1993, 5:42:51 AM2/1/93
In the referenced article, lyd...@SOL1.GPS.CALTECH.EDU writes:

>If you get an Alpha, which PAL are you going to get with it? Unix or VMS?

"We're not sure yet, it really depends on our customers' needs, though my
money is on Unix first, then VMS and NT later (unless we buy a Jansen when
those appear - I have been told that they're ready, and just waiting on
Microsoft).

"Of course, we have fun sat here at the "cuting" edge - we just bought a
3.5 gig hard drive, and it turns out that none of our OSs can format the
little bugger - it's too new!"

Ignatz grins...

"Oh well, it works at 2.8 gigs, so it's usable!"

----Ignatz Mouse/Simon H Le G Bisson----Why buy the white?----Reunite Pangaea--

Randolph Fritz

Feb 1, 1993, 3:06:54 PM2/1/93
"As for your 3.5 Gb drive--out here we call that the (b)leading edge.
:-)"

__R

Alan Ralph

Feb 1, 1993, 4:49:03 PM2/1/93
In article <1993Jan29.1...@gdr.bath.ac.uk> eess...@gdr.bath.ac.uk (S H L G Bisson) writes:
>In the referenced article, mtem...@redunser.demon.co.uk writes:
>
>>"Your dark secret would appear to be showing, Ignatz old chap..." :-)
>
>"Careful my young friend, for you meddle in the affairs of those who
>declare COMPLEX*16 as a matter of course, who wield the incredible power
>of the BLOCK DATA statement, and who really aren't bothered about stdio.h"

You can wave your BLOCK DATA statement at me till you're blue in the face. I
don't scare that easily! :-) Any less of this 'young' business - at least I
can keep out of bookshops!

>Ignatz laughs. Picking up a large sack of peanuts, he drops them on MonTemplar
>in true UK Callahans style - without removing the sack.
>
>"By the way - I owe you these from before Christmas - from my birthday in fact!
>Just because I was off-net doesn't mean I miss a pun - I have my spy!"
>
>The cartoon mouse pauses, realising he'd just given something away...

These facts have been notes, BWA-HA-HA!!!! :-)

>----Ignatz Mouse/Simon H Le G Bisson----net.jerriais----Reunite Pangaea!--------

aa...@atlantis.uucp

Feb 3, 1993, 10:00:18 PM2/3/93
In article <1993Jan26.0...@gdr.bath.ac.uk> eess...@gdr.bath.ac.uk (S H L G Bisson) writes:
>"I work in the bowels of Bath University, writing (sacrilige time here, folks)
>FORTRAN electromagnetic field analysis software. Sometime hardware radio
>frequency engineer, now software/applied physics.

Alfvaen perks up. "Hey! I was doing that a year or so ago, when I was still
employed...well, to be exact, writing Magentohydrodynamic simulation software
in Fortran...well, to be exact, porting MHD simulation code to a parallel-
processing computer. But it was still in Fortran, and it had something to do
with electromagnetism...is that close enough?"

--
---Alfvaen(Eagerly awaiting "October's Baby")
"Clocks don't bring tomorrow--knives don't bring good news." ---Bruce Cockburn

aa...@atlantis.uucp

Feb 3, 1993, 11:02:20 PM2/3/93
Splash! (keu...@csuvax1.csu.murdoch.edu.au) wrote:
: At home, I live in a de facto relationship with a psychology/statistics PhD

: student/assistant lecturer. We have four kids - Lesley's two girls from a
: previous relationship (Jessica, 10 and Rebecca-May, 13), and our own two,
: Jayme, 19 months and Ashlee, 3 days. We also have two dogs (Cavalier King
: Charles Spaniels).

Alfvaen perks up at the mention of Ashlee's age. "Aha! I knew I missed
>somebody's< birth. Congrats, Splash! My name critiquer may not be that
hot on your spelling of Ashlee, but then variant spellings of names have been
getting on my nerves more lately since I've been collecting names from the
birth notices in the local paper.

"Did I recall that Ashlee was due a little bit later, like in February, or is
that just my imagination or somebody else I'm confusing it with? Anyone
remember Catwoman and Aquaman? I think CW was pregnant, and due about now..."

--
---Alfvaen(Eagerly awaiting "October's Baby")
"Clocks don't bring tomorrow--knives don't bring good news." ---Bruce Cockburn

Current Album--Simon & Garfunkel:Bridge Over Troubled Water

Christopher Francis Anderson

Feb 3, 1993, 11:12:34 PM2/3/93
Well, seeing as how everyone else is doing it, I might as well join in...

First (and easiest), my VR self:

Originally I was a liquid metal being (like the T1000), dressed in jeans, a
black t-shirt, sneakers, and shades. After Didi's Halloween bash, I became
ThunderKat (was originally Thunderchild), a silvery metaliic moor cat from the
'Shanarra' novels (by someone I can't remember at the moment). In times of
really bad puns, I often transform into a Dreadnought, a 10' tall silver and
black combat droid, armed with peanut guns, choco-bazookas, and assorted
weapons suitable for Callahans-use. I'm often involved in pun-wars, not so
much with the puns themselves but with the battles afterward. I also love a
good scritch... (hint! hint!)

Secondly (after a brief wrestle with the light of reality, which refuses to
show my good side - I think I'll settle for the profile), my RL self:

My name is Chris Anderson, 21 years old, 6'2", and about 60%-80% of my ideal
weight (whatever that is!). Often dressed in jeans with the knees worn out of
them (it's more comfortable that way!), a t-shirt of some description, and
basketball boots. Oh, I also wear glasses 'cos I'm really badly shortsighted.
A real bummer, that one. I have short, dark brown hair (used to be past my
shoulders, but I decided to have a change). Other than that, I'm doing my
4th year of Digital Systems engineering at RMIT in Melbourne, Victoria, OZ,
and I'm thinking about writing a Windows-based AD&D combat handling program
(any ideas, anyone?).

My favourite drinks are Strongbow White, and vodka and orange (though not all
in the same glass - could be interesting, though). My birthday is 26/7/71, and
I'm into several sorts of RPGs. (Also, I'm trying to decide whether or not to
compile Nethack on my XT at home - 8 hours is a long time to compile, no?)

I think that covers everything.

--
ThunderKat (a.k.a. Chris Anderson) s90...@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au

"I vote we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to
be sure."