Don S. Davis, RIP

Spider Robinson

Jul 1, 2008, 2:36:11 AM7/1/08
With great sadness I report that my new friend Don S. Davis has died of a
heart attack. He was a passionate fan of the Callahan's Place series, and
was at the time of his death negotiating final details of a deal for a
Callahan's Place TV series in collaboration with his wife Ruby and
writer/director/actor Peter DeLuise.

He once forced me to like a character he was playing who I really wanted to
dislike on THE WEST WING: a right wing evangelical politician. That's
talent.

I miss him already.

--Spider Robinson

Says wikipedia:

Don Sinclair Davis (August 4, 1942 - June 29, 2008[1][2]) was an American
character actor, theatre professor, painter and captain in the United States
Army.

He is perhaps best known for playing Major General/Lieutenant General George
S. Hammond in the science fiction television series Stargate SG-1
(1997­2004), and earlier for playing Major Garland Briggs on the television
series Twin Peaks (1990­1991). In the TV show MacGyver, he was the
stunt/photography double for Dana Elcar.[3] He was often mistaken for Elcar,
and vice-versa. Davis did appear in two episodes of MacGyver, as a different
character each time. His first appearance was as a cement truck driver in
the episode "Blow Out", and his second appearance was as the poacher Wyatt
Porter in "The Endangered".[4] He also played Scully's father in the series
The X-Files. Canadian audiences may also be familiar with Davis thanks to
his appearance in one of the famous Heritage Minutes, in which he played an
arrogant American gold prospector who pulls a gun on Mountie Sam Steele.

[edit]Personal life
Davis was born in Aurora, Missouri, a town in the Ozark Mountains. He earned
a Bachelor of Science Degree in theater and art from Southwest Missouri
State College. He received a master's degree in theatre from the Southern
Illinois University Carbondale in 1970.[5] He taught for several years
before returning to SIU to complete a Ph.D. in theatre. He began working in
the film industry in the 1980s, while teaching at the University of British
Columbia. In 1987 he stopped teaching in order to pursue acting full-time.
Not satisfied with just acting, he was also a visual artist, spending most
of his free time painting or carving. Davis grew up painting, sculpting and
drawing. He has continued to pursue these crafts his entire life,
supplementing his income with design commissions and art sales.
Davis died on June 29, 2008.[1] Cause of death was reported as a "massive
heart attack."[2]

wolfette

Jul 1, 2008, 4:00:20 AM7/1/08

And he gave great hugs. :-(

Jette

saavik

Jul 1, 2008, 10:22:30 AM7/1/08
I remember him in most of those roles, especially Stargate SG-1 and
X-Files. I am sorry that he left us so soon.

My condolences to his family and friends. He will be missed by many many
people.

Margo

David

Jul 1, 2008, 11:13:53 AM7/1/08
On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 06:36:11 GMT, Spider Robinson <spid...@shaw.ca>
typed furiously:

<<<<<CRASH>>>>>

He'll be sadly missed.
--
David
No email replies please.

Jai Rose

Jul 1, 2008, 12:29:15 PM7/1/08
********CRASH********

Jai

ka.mi...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2008, 12:58:02 PM7/1/08

Why didn't I shoot him?

Oh man, that was fantastic. I'll probably still
remember him as General Hammond though.

To Don S. Davis.

< < < CRASH > > >

Magus Firecow

Pernicious the Musquodoboit Harbour Farm Cat

Jul 1, 2008, 4:16:50 PM7/1/08
> On Jul 1, 2:36 am, Spider Robinson <spider...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>

> > With great sadness I report that my new friend Don S. Davis has died of a
> > heart attack.
>
> > I miss him already.
>
> > --Spider Robinson

> To Don S. Davis.
>
> < < < CRASH > > >

Pernicious the Musquodoboit Harbour Farm Cat and his faithful
amanuensis and general factotum send a Wedgwood saucer of 32% cream
and a flagon of fayalin flying against the parabolic back wall of the
Fireplace to mark the passing of a fine entity to the next plane of
existence. He will be missed.

PhoenixWench

Jul 1, 2008, 8:33:22 PM7/1/08

Wes Struebing

Jul 1, 2008, 10:53:40 PM7/1/08
wrote:

>With great sadness I report that my new friend Don S. Davis has died of a
>heart attack. He was a passionate fan of the Callahan's Place series, and
>was at the time of his death negotiating final details of a deal for a
>Callahan's Place TV series in collaboration with his wife Ruby and
>writer/director/actor Peter DeLuise.
>
>He once forced me to like a character he was playing who I really wanted to
>dislike on THE WEST WING: a right wing evangelical politician. That's
>talent.
>
>I miss him already.
>
>--Spider Robinson

Saw that on another ng...

Dang! And a mere sprite!

You'll be missed, Don!

<<<CRASH>>>
--

Wes Struebing

Jan. 20, 2009 - the end of an error

Desideria

Jul 1, 2008, 11:09:34 PM7/1/08
On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:22:30 -0400, saavik <saa...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

Well, *darn* it!!!!!!

Desideria

Ree

Jul 2, 2008, 12:55:03 AM7/2/08

Yeah, dat sucks!

Ree

Mr Van Wau Wau

Jul 4, 2008, 2:50:07 AM7/4/08
> Ree- Hide quoted text -

The Dog howls in his honor
signed
Mr Van Wau Wau

D.J.

Jul 5, 2008, 12:42:12 PM7/5/08
<spid...@shaw.ca> wrote:
]With great sadness I report that my new friend Don S. Davis has died of a

]heart attack. He was a passionate fan of the Callahan's Place series, and
]was at the time of his death negotiating final details of a deal for a
]Callahan's Place TV series in collaboration with his wife Ruby and
]writer/director/actor Peter DeLuise.

**Crash !**

D.J.
--