HELLO: (for real) MorphBird flutters down to the bar

morp...@dreamcircle.com

Aug 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/5/98
Morphbird, perched in the rafters is startled by the huge flotilla of BOYC's
floating up to her from the various Patrons of Callahans. She is pleased,
drinks what she can without getting all wobbly, and then finally flutters down
to the bar.

The Patrons finally get a good look at the newcomer. What type of avian IS
this new creature? On her feet is a hint of talon, like on an eagle or a
hawk, yet between her toes is a hint of webbing like on a waterfowl. The
beak is an odd configuration too... could that beak-shape belong to a
seed-eater, a carnivore or perhaps a sea-dwelling bird? It's hard to tell...
somehow it seems it could be all of these - or none of them. The feathers
and wing structure are unusual too... a tiny patch of perhaps some kiwi
feathers down her back, seemingly long flight-feathers of perhaps an eagle(?)
or a tern, maybe(?) overlaid by the shorter feathers of a much shorter-range
bird (Sparrow? Woodpecker? Robin?). Many colors subtly shine through
MorphBird's lovely gray overcoat of feathers as if from every color of bird
that ever existed. MorphBird smiles at some of the puzzled Callahan
denizens.

"Well, everyone, I am not any particular bird specie... I am a little bit of
ALL of them, actually, even some of the now-extinct ones. I bet I would make
one HECK of a study for a dedicated bird-researcher!" :)

Anyway... what you see here is my default form... I'm an avian melange!!
And depending on my mood, I tend to morph my outer form, depending on the
moment. Here are some examples, as when I feel like I have done something
really, REALLY stupid... (MorphBird suddenly turns into a turkey.)

...or when I find myself repeating myself repeating myself repeating myself
repeating myself a lot... (Morphbird shifts into parrot form)

...or when I am feeling cowardly." (Morphbird turns into a chicken)

...or when I am feeling happy and proud... (MorphBird shifts form into a
full-tailed peacock.)

MorphBird shifts back to default form and smiles. "That's me for ya.
Pan-avian. Which also means I'll eat darn near anything... but I tend to
like what humans usually munch on... which means I am happy with a pizza
anytime! :)

I need to apologize in advance to my fellow Callahaners... I received many
posts and mails to my initial message here, too many for me to answer. I
wish I had the time to answer all of them individually! Please know, fellow
Callahaners, that I appreciate every BOYC initally sent to me, and I thank
you for all of them.

The pan-avian grins. "Now what was this about a cuddlefish I heard earlier?
Someone in this place offered me birdseed and a cuddlefish! I didn't know
fish could cuddle! How would THAT work??? Fish are all cold and slimy and
wet! Not to mention good when slow-broiled and served with tartar sauce!!!
;-D

-MorphBird

Jacob Sommer

Aug 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/5/98
morp...@dreamcircle.com wrote:

> The pan-avian grins. "Now what was this about a cuddlefish I heard earlier?
> Someone in this place offered me birdseed and a cuddlefish! I didn't know
> fish could cuddle! How would THAT work??? Fish are all cold and slimy and
> wet! Not to mention good when slow-broiled and served with tartar sauce!!!
> ;-D

Ohh, I dunno, I think that a fish baked with white wine and butter and
lemon and lime and dill and a little spice is pretty good too <smile>

Welcome MorphBird. **tossing a silver dollar to Mike** have a BOC...
and no pecking at my fish unless you ask first :)

Jacob

Sandy Dolan

Aug 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/5/98
to morp...@dreamcircle.com

morphbird wrote:

> Morphbird, perched in the rafters is startled by the huge flotilla of BOYC's
> floating up to her from the various Patrons of Callahans. She is pleased,
> drinks what she can without getting all wobbly, and then finally flutters down
> to the bar.

<snip>

> The pan-avian grins. "Now what was this about a cuddlefish I heard earlier?
> Someone in this place offered me birdseed and a cuddlefish! I didn't know
> fish could cuddle! How would THAT work??? Fish are all cold and slimy and
> wet! Not to mention good when slow-broiled and served with tartar sauce!!!
> ;-D
>

> -MorphBird

Glad you could come down and join us Morphbird. Don't worry about the cats around
here, they are all well behaved (for the most part). But I'm sure you could just
morph into something large enough to handle them anyway.

As for the cuddlefish, you'll find that everything cuddles around here. We got
panthers, wolves, cats, bears, GoodWenches and GoodMenches just to mention a few
and they all like to cuddle. Anytime you feel the need, just say so and they'll
be happy to oblige.

One hint, don't ever say the following words together in a sentence. The, drinks,
are, on, and me. You'll find that folkx tend to take things literally and they
really will be on you. Other than that, welcome to the main floor!

Sandygypsy
p&e
--
I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me. - Charlene

John Vinson

Aug 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/5/98
On Wed, 05 Aug 1998 01:42:37 GMT, morphbird wrote:

>Morphbird, perched in the rafters is startled by the huge flotilla of BOYC's
>floating up to her from the various Patrons of Callahans. She is pleased,
>drinks what she can without getting all wobbly, and then finally flutters down
>to the bar.

"Welcome again, Morphbird!" replies John the Wysard with a grin.
"Hmmm... gotta get some of my birder friends in here, after they see
you they'll either (a) increase their life-list by several rarities or
(b) really improve the cashflow at the bar!"

"Welcome again. Always nice to have another cute bird to flirt
with..."

HGEllison

Aug 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/5/98
morphbird wrote:

>Morphbird, perched in the rafters is startled by the huge flotilla of BOYC's
>floating up to her from the various Patrons of Callahans. She is pleased,
>drinks what she can without getting all wobbly, and then finally flutters down
>to the bar.

Welcome to the bar. Let me get you a BOYC.

HGEllison<of>hotmail...

Eric & Lissa McCollum

Aug 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/5/98
John Vinson wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Aug 1998 01:42:37 GMT, morphbird wrote:
>
> >Morphbird, perched in the rafters is startled by the huge flotilla of BOYC's
> >floating up to her from the various Patrons of Callahans. She is pleased,
> >drinks what she can without getting all wobbly, and then finally flutters down
> >to the bar.
>
> "Welcome again, Morphbird!" replies John the Wysard with a grin.
> "Hmmm... gotta get some of my birder friends in here, after they see
> you they'll either (a) increase their life-list by several rarities or
> (b) really improve the cashflow at the bar!"
>
> "Welcome again. Always nice to have another cute bird to flirt
> with..."

Lissa takes a moment break from the Dressing Up Box to welcome
a new friend. "I'm one of those birders...Hmm..." She looks
at her life list, looks at the Morphbird, looks at her life
list... "Nope. Can't add you yet. I don't count birds I
see in zoos, and this place is definitely a zoo at times."
She grins. "Of course, if you stick around long enough to
make this your natural habitat, I'll have to reconsider."

"In the meantime, Welcome! Can I get you a drink?"

Lissa

Janet D. Miles

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98
Posted and emailed.

On Wed, 05 Aug 1998 01:42:37 GMT, in alt.callahans
morp...@dreamcircle.com wrote:

> The pan-avian grins. "Now what was this about a cuddlefish I heard earlier?
> Someone in this place offered me birdseed and a cuddlefish! I didn't know
> fish could cuddle! How would THAT work??? Fish are all cold and slimy and
> wet! Not to mention good when slow-broiled and served with tartar sauce!!!
> ;-D

Hello there, my dear MorphBird!

Actually, what I offered was a cuTTlefish, for your beak and for
calcium. However, I rather like the idea of a cuddlefish.

Therefore, I hereby invent ... The Cuddlefish (tm MorphBird,
design by JanetM)!

Take some soft, fuzzy, angora-like yarn, and crochet a short
chain. Use that as a base and crochet all the way around it,
then keep increasing in each row for several inches (forming a
sort of open pouch.
Begin decreasing, for about one inch less than the
increasing half.
Stuff with something soft and slightly perfumed, then stitch
closed at the end.
Crochet half a dozen triangles of various dimensions, and
sew on two for the tail, one for the dorsal fin, two for side
fins, and one for the fin underneath.
Embroider eyes, or sew on buttons for eyes.

Voila! One Cuddlefish, suitable (depending on how large you
made it) for tucking in your pocket, setting on top of your
monitor, or snuggling under your shoulder when you go to bed.

Or, if you prefer, we can have some tuna sashimi :-) . It's not
cuddly, but it sure is good!

Welcome to the Place, MorphBird. Glad you felt comfortable
enough to come down out of the rafters.

JanetM
--
Posted by Janet Miles <jmi...@usit.net> <http://www.public.usit.net/jmiles>

"This is Callahan's Place, and it's Callahan's Place because of everyone
who comes in and ensures it stays that way." -- Robert Farquhar, July 15, 1998

Lee S. Billings

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98
In article <35C858...@earthlink.net>, len...@earthlink.net says...

>and no pecking at my fish unless you ask first :)
>
>Jacob

Not gonna say it... *not* gonna say it... NOT gonna say it...

But that doesn't keep me from *thinking* it! <g>

Celine

--
"It is perhaps one of life's more interesting ironies that, of the many
who beseech the Goddess to send them love, so few will accept it when

morp...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98
In article <35d207db...@news.usit.net>,
jmi...@usit.net wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Aug 1998 01:42:37 GMT, in alt.callahans
> morp...@dreamcircle.com wrote:
>
> > The pan-avian grins. "Now what was this about a cuddlefish I heard earlier?
> > Someone in this place offered me birdseed and a cuddlefish!

> Actually, what I offered was a cuTTlefish, for your beak and for

> calcium. However, I rather like the idea of a cuddlefish.
>
> Therefore, I hereby invent ... The Cuddlefish (tm MorphBird,
> design by JanetM)!

[...]

> Voila! One Cuddlefish, suitable (depending on how large you
> made it) for tucking in your pocket, setting on top of your
> monitor, or snuggling under your shoulder when you go to bed.

MorphBird looks at Janet's Cuddlefish and goes "Hmmm..."

"Hey MIKE!"

"Yeah, bird."

"Do you have any 'Magic Life-giving Pixie Dust' or something like that behind
that bar of yours?"

"Something like that."

"Could you let me have some?"

"Sure, if you promise sometime to morph into a songbird and give us a
mini-concert sometime."

"You got a deal!"

Mike gives the pan-avain a mysterious box with holes on top. With the
invisible hands of her human alter-ego helping her, MorphBird seems as if she
is levitating the box. She turns it over, shakes the dust on the Cuddlefish,
gives back the box to Mike and stands back to watch what happens.

The Cuddlefish stirs. It flops a bit, then rights itself on the bar with it's
front fins. The new creature looks around at the bar and everyone in it. It
likes what it sees and silently smiles.

In one corner is a lonely-looking Patron. The Cuddlefish alerts, just like a
bird-dog on the hunt, then immediately moves into action.

The Cuddlefish swims/flies through the air and homes in on the sad Patron,
The creature then cuddles underneath his/her chin. The Patron is surprised
by the soft, caring, plushy fish and proceeds to hug it, feeling a bit
better.

MorphBird is pleased. "Yup, that's a Cuddlefish, all right." :)

resear...@yahoo.com

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98
In article <6qbp3d$sc9$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,<snip>

> In one corner is a lonely-looking Patron. The Cuddlefish alerts, just like a
> bird-dog on the hunt, then immediately moves into action.
>
> The Cuddlefish swims/flies through the air and homes in on the sad Patron,
> The creature then cuddles underneath his/her chin. The Patron is surprised
> by the soft, caring, plushy fish and proceeds to hug it, feeling a bit
> better.
>
> MorphBird is pleased. "Yup, that's a Cuddlefish, all right." :)
>
> -MorphBird

Hey MorphBird...can you clone a Cuddlefish? Because there are a whole lot of
folks who could sure use one around...

;^)

Bob

Kat Nagel

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98
to morp...@my-dejanews.com, Xander Opal
[Auto-reply bounces unless you remove the spam blocker.]

morp...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In one corner is a lonely-looking Patron. The Cuddlefish alerts,
> just like a bird-dog on the hunt, then immediately moves into action.
>
> The Cuddlefish swims/flies through the air and homes in on the sad
> Patron, The creature then cuddles underneath his/her chin. The
> Patron is surprised by the soft, caring, plushy fish and proceeds to
> hug it, feeling a bit better.
>
> MorphBird is pleased. "Yup, that's a Cuddlefish, all right." :)

"Excuse me, MorphBird, but there is a certain two-headed dragon
over there by the door that looks like it needs a hug or three.
It might be overwhelmed if a bunch of almost-strangers rushed over
and started getting physical. Do you think your Cuddlefish
could nuzzle both of its chins at once?"

--

K@
Kat Nagel MasterWork Consulting Services

Veni, vidi, Valium - I came; I saw; I was WAY too stressed out
___Sara Wendell

froge...@hotmail.com

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98
morp...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> In article <35d207db...@news.usit.net>,
> jmi...@usit.net wrote:
<snip>
> > Therefore, I hereby invent ... The Cuddlefish (tm MorphBird,
> > design by JanetM)!
> [...]
> > Voila! One Cuddlefish, suitable (depending on how large you
> > made it) for tucking in your pocket, setting on top of your
> > monitor, or snuggling under your shoulder when you go to bed.
><snip>

> "Do you have any 'Magic Life-giving Pixie Dust' or something like that behind
> that bar of yours?"
> <snip>

> The Cuddlefish swims/flies through the air and homes in on the sad Patron,
> The creature then cuddles underneath his/her chin. The Patron is surprised
> by the soft, caring, plushy fish and proceeds to hug it, feeling a bit
> better.
>
> MorphBird is pleased. "Yup, that's a Cuddlefish, all right." :)

Janet and MorphBird: please allow me to supply your beverages of choice for
the evening. This is a lovely creation and most appropriate to the Place!

evitsky <Thinking of a design for one for RL use>

John Vinson

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98
On Thu, 06 Aug 1998 08:22:06 GMT, morp...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>Mike gives the pan-avain a mysterious box with holes on top. With the
>invisible hands of her human alter-ego helping her, MorphBird seems as if she
>is levitating the box. She turns it over, shakes the dust on the Cuddlefish,
>gives back the box to Mike and stands back to watch what happens.
>
>The Cuddlefish stirs. It flops a bit, then rights itself on the bar with it's
>front fins. The new creature looks around at the bar and everyone in it. It
>likes what it sees and silently smiles.
>

>In one corner is a lonely-looking Patron. The Cuddlefish alerts, just like a
>bird-dog on the hunt, then immediately moves into action.
>

>The Cuddlefish swims/flies through the air and homes in on the sad Patron,
>The creature then cuddles underneath his/her chin. The Patron is surprised
>by the soft, caring, plushy fish and proceeds to hug it, feeling a bit
>better.
>
>MorphBird is pleased. "Yup, that's a Cuddlefish, all right." :)

"Cool!" exclaims John the Wysard, who has long had an interest in such
transformations.

"Anybody been here long enough to remember Warm Fuzzies...? Sort of a
protocuddlefish, in a sense, nu?"

He experimentally projects a sense of loneliness and ennui, and is
rewarded by the cuddlefish airswimming over to rub its sides on his
cheeks...

morp...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
In article <6qcq4f$2j1$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

resear...@yahoo.com wrote:
> In article <6qbp3d$sc9$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> morp...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > In article <35d207db...@news.usit.net>,
> > jmi...@usit.net wrote:

> > "Yup, that's a Cuddlefish, all right." :)

> Hey MorphBird...can you clone a Cuddlefish? Because there are a whole lot of

> folks who could sure use one around...

"I dunno... Hey Mike?"

"Yeah, bird"

"Can we clone critters in here?"

"In *public*?"

"MIIIIIIIIKE!!"

The bartender grins.

"YEEEEEZ, ya wacky Irishdude! Get serious! You know what I meant."

"Ok, ok! Well, in my professional opinion (since that WAS the bar's magic
life-giving power we used) what you *don't* know is I added the magic of pure
omnipresence before I gave you that box.

That means that anyone who gets lonely or sad in here will automatically
become a comfort-magnet for the Cuddlefish. No matter how many people need
it, it can and *will* alert and then go airswimming towards whoever needs it.
It has that ability and that capacity. That's part of it's magic."

"Cool!" Morphbird is surprised and pleased. "Mike you think of everything!
Thanks!"

-MorphBird

Mara

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
morp...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> [snip the overheard conversation with the barkeeper]

> That means that anyone who gets lonely or sad in here will
> automatically
> become a comfort-magnet for the Cuddlefish. No matter how
> many people need
> it, it can and *will* alert and then go airswimming towards
> whoever needs it.
> It has that ability and that capacity. That's part of it's magic."

That sure is a wonderfull invention !!

------- To the cuddlefish !!! ----

-- and to all people needing him, may their pain be lessened --

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< CRASH >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Message send by:

Mara (anke....@mata.fzk.de)
homepage: http://hdirisc9.fzk.de/www/mata/mata95/anke/a.klink.html

Kirsten M. Berry

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
If memory serves, John Vinson said, just before the Gong of Fate
sounded:

}>MorphBird is pleased. "Yup, that's a Cuddlefish, all right." :)
}
}"Cool!" exclaims John the Wysard, who has long had an interest in such
}transformations.
}
}"Anybody been here long enough to remember Warm Fuzzies...? Sort of a
}protocuddlefish, in a sense, nu?"

"I can *just* remember them from my first trip to the Place," Kiri
replies as she leaves the dance floor and crosses over to where the
Wysard now sits. "No doubt it was made easier for me by *you*
bringing them up, though - you were one of the first (if not THE
first) people to welcome me here that first time...."

}He experimentally projects a sense of loneliness and ennui, and is
}rewarded by the cuddlefish airswimming over to rub its sides on his
}cheeks...

Kiri wonders at this a moment, and tries another tack. Gazing at the
Cuddlefish where it is currently working its own brand of magic, she
radiates her thanks and appreciation for having such a creature here.
The Cuddlefish looks at her, blinks, and airswims over for a quick
fish-kiss before seeking out others in need of its attention....
--
Kirsten M. Berry, Samurai Webmistress ki...@hooked.net
http://www.hooked.net/~kirib/

jw

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98

> That means that anyone who gets lonely or sad in here will automatically
> become a comfort-magnet for the Cuddlefish. No matter how many people need
> it, it can and *will* alert and then go airswimming towards whoever needs it.
> It has that ability and that capacity. That's part of it's magic."
>
> "Cool!" Morphbird is surprised and pleased. "Mike you think of everything!
> Thanks!"
>
> -MorphBird

MorphBird, you are wonderful! Can you send that Cuddlefish over to
CatChild, and Xander, and maybe it can track down Jake too?

j.w

Sandy Dolan

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
to John Vinson

John Vinson wrote:

> morphbird wrote:

> >Mike gives the pan-avain a mysterious box with holes on top. With the
> >invisible hands of her human alter-ego helping her, MorphBird seems as if she
> >is levitating the box. She turns it over, shakes the dust on the Cuddlefish,
> >gives back the box to Mike and stands back to watch what happens.
> >
> >The Cuddlefish stirs. It flops a bit, then rights itself on the bar with it's
> >front fins. The new creature looks around at the bar and everyone in it. It
> >likes what it sees and silently smiles.
> >
> >In one corner is a lonely-looking Patron. The Cuddlefish alerts, just like a
> >bird-dog on the hunt, then immediately moves into action.
> >
> >The Cuddlefish swims/flies through the air and homes in on the sad Patron,
> >The creature then cuddles underneath his/her chin. The Patron is surprised
> >by the soft, caring, plushy fish and proceeds to hug it, feeling a bit
> >better.
> >

> >MorphBird is pleased. "Yup, that's a Cuddlefish, all right." :)
>
> "Cool!" exclaims John the Wysard, who has long had an interest in such
> transformations.
>
> "Anybody been here long enough to remember Warm Fuzzies...? Sort of a
> protocuddlefish, in a sense, nu?"
>

> He experimentally projects a sense of loneliness and ennui, and is
> rewarded by the cuddlefish airswimming over to rub its sides on his
> cheeks...

I remember warm fuzzies, came out just before pet rocks.

Sandygypsy
p&E

Jim Pierce

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98

Speaking of jelly fish...

I was watching PBS this past Thursday night.

Well, sort of watching it, I was also reading a book on html.

My attention was grabed when they said 'and the folks back at the
institute said we had found an _unknown_ jelly fish !'

It was large and brownish, but that wasn't all that made it
unique. [ Sorry, but they didn't mention any name for it that I
remember] It was traveling along horizontally with its uhm thingies
that have the stingers in them, back behind it.

On the upper side of the 'hood' part was a small white crab
dancing back and forth. It seemed to me, it was dancing around more
than necessary to keep from faling off. And its feelers, or it might
have been legs, I'm not certain, were star shaped. It was waving the
star-shaped tips around above it.

I would say the 'hood' of the jelly fish was about 2-3 feet in
diameter. Maybe larger. One of the divers was near it, but not near
enough for me to make size comparisons.

Sorry, I don't know the name of the program ,but it was at 11:40
PM on Thursday night, on Mississippi ETV/PBS.

DJ.
--
Jim Pierce djim50 at bellsouth dot net
remove 'no.spam' to email me