alt.california dump on AZ

Paul A Gallegos

May 1, 1993, 8:32:54 PM5/1/93
In article <1MAY1993...@violet.ccit.arizona.edu> dse...@violet.ccit.arizona.edu (David Sewell) writes:
>I don't suppose most folks here read alt.california. :) Maybe
>that explains why the following posting of a couple of days ago hasn't
>provoked any response from Arizonans, except me. (Who happens to
>be from Southern California & so has double reason to see
>Bay Area frou-frou elitism for what it is...)
>
>Anyway, y'all better give the good readers on alt.california a
>dose of reality...

One dose of reality coming up. :)

[unnecessary blather deleted]

> NORTHERN CALIFORNIA ARIZONA
>--------------------------- --------------------------------
>
>Lots of regulations and limits You can violate anybody else's
>on personal freedoms. personal freedoms quite easily and
> get away with it.

Wow... and here I thought it was illegal to violate others' civil and
personal rights. Now when did Arizona revert back to the pre-Civil War
era?? (Like California should talk about violation of civil rights -
re: Rodney King, Asian-Americans, the list goes on)

>You can get shot by armed You can get shot by anyone.
>gang members.

Sheesh... in California, not only do the gang members carry weapons, but
half the retired community does as well (and they've got worse aim! :)
This is not to mention that those Californian's who miss you the first
time will sue your ass for whatever damage THEY inflicted by missing you.

>The weather is good year-round. Very hot and dry in summer.
> Splendid winters and springs.

Oh yes... that humidity in California is LOVELY.

>It's gotten way too crowded and It's not too crowded, but the people
>expensive. you do meet, you'd wish you hadn't.

Oh yeah... like I'd want to go to the urban Sacramento area just to
converse with someone over a highly expensive cup of coffee ('scuse me...
EXPRESSO for you Cali yuppies :)

>Housing is expensive. Housing is cheap, with a dirt lawn
> and cactus for landscaping.

And what is wrong with natural landscape?
Oh, I forgot... you're so overcrowded, you've forgotten what natural
landscape IS. My apologies.

>Food is spectacular with great Food reminds you of the Midwest --
>ethnic variety -- and healthy. bland, heart-attack food.

That's a definition of taste. Arizona is primarily varied in its ethnic
food between Mexican/Hispanic and Asian. (Although, the McDonald's places
keep popping up all over the place... just like in California.)

>Extremely liberal and tolerant. Extremely conservative, gun-toting,
> and racist.

THERE'S a racist remark if I've ever heard one, especially coming from a
state where the STATE COURT found the officers involved in the Rodney King
incident INNOCENT. As for the gun-toting... go back above and talk to your
gang members about that.

>Environmentally-concerned. Hunters who enjoy killing anything
> that moves, including bald eagles.

Right. All those environmentalists from California who organise their
protests, drive their gas-guzzling Volkswagens to meet everyone, stop on
the way at McDonald's to pick up something to eat, and protest scientific
research facilities in the cause of environmentalism are sure doing the
right thing. And by the way... Arizona's mostly a desert. Tell me how a
bald eagle is going to live in a desert.

>Ethnically diverse. Predominately white.

*Ding!* Thank you for playing. Or did you forget about the population of
Native Americans and Hispanics that live in the state? Y'know... those
people who were living in the area before the white man came in and tried
to take over? Oh wait... I forgot... California's not a racist state at
all... nope nope.

>Academically-oriented. Football/basketball-oriented.

This from a state that fires head coaches for not winning Rose Bowls
and NCAA championships...

>Stanford, Berkeley, UCSF UA, ASU, NAU -- third-rate party schools.

Hey! They're first-rate party schools! Get it right!

Oh yes, btw... did YOU know that 1/3 of each school's students is from...
CALIFORNIA?? Gee... go figure. It couldn't be because the state of Cali
keeps raising their tuition to unbelievable amounts... no... that can't
be it...

>Wonderful geography. Great geography in largely
> unpopulated areas.

Isn't that the best kind of geography?
Oh wait... I keep forgetting... you're so overcrowded you don't REMEMBER
what the state looked like unpopulated.

>Wonderful culture. No culture in the cities, unless you
> consider watching the Chicago Cubs
> culture.

WHERE do people watch the Chicago Cubs?? Bleah.
Oh yes, and I'd count getting mugged on a street in Sacramento 'cultured'.

>Designated No Smoking in most Smoking everywhere.
>areas.

*Ding!* Thank you for playing. According to Arizona state statutes,
there is NO smoking allowed in public indoor areas owned by the state
or federal government. And State statutes also state that all public
buildings MUST have a non-smoking area if there are smoking areas.

>Happening, diverse music scene. No music scene. Country music preferred.

Country is only preferred in the rural areas, where there aren't many
people and where people STILL HAVE FARMS. (Concept! :)

>Technical, educated community. Computer-illiterate, uneducated
> community.

*blink* Oh yes... we're so computer-illiterate, and uneducated we can't
even do something like post to a news server. *guffaw*

>Young, intelligent professionals. Old, conservative, married, largely blue-
> collar workforce.

You forgot to add 'unmarried' or 'divorced' in front of 'professionals' there.
Oh and explain why IBM was so willing to pull out of California and relocate
to Arizona?

>Cars : Japanese, German, GM. Have more crappy TransAms and Cameros
>American. than any place on Earth.

That's _really_ weird, since there IS no predominant car here. Maybe you
were driving through South Tucson? ;)

>Beer : Pete's Wicked Ale, Budweiser or any other bad, mass-produced
>Sierra Nevada. American beer..

*bzzt* Try Newcastle Ale. :) (Corona is also very popular with the college
students ;) What's REALLY frightening is the majority of the CALIFORNIAN
students who attend here _like_ Keystone.

>Wine : Mondavi, Petrus, Wine is for wimps.
>Rothschild.

Hmmm... got me there. I don't drink it. :)

>Presidential choice : Clinton Anybody BUT Clinton.

Least we didn't give the US _Reagan_... sheesh.

>Bumper stickers : too ugly to Standard practice to plaster bumper
>plaster on a car. stickers like :
> If it Ain't Country It Ain't Music.
> Pussies Can Never Be Heroes.
> God, Guns, and Guts -- It Made America.

You must've been in Mississippi or something. I've YET to see any of THOSE
bumper stickers. Most of the ones here say something about abortion or
the annoying 'Shit happens'.

Ryan J Franklin

May 1, 1993, 9:07:10 PM5/1/93
In article <1993May2.0...@organpipe.uug.arizona.edu> gall...@helium.gas.uug.arizona.edu (Paul A Gallegos ) writes:
>In article <1MAY1993...@violet.ccit.arizona.edu> dse...@violet.ccit.arizona.edu (David Sewell) writes:
>>It's gotten way too crowded and It's not too crowded, but the people
>>expensive. you do meet, you'd wish you hadn't.
>
>Oh yeah... like I'd want to go to the urban Sacramento area just to
>converse with someone over a highly expensive cup of coffee ('scuse me...
>EXPRESSO for you Cali yuppies :)

That's *espresso*. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. I let Mark Knopfler
get away with "expresso", but the rest of the world will just have to bow
to my will. ;-)

>>Housing is expensive. Housing is cheap, with a dirt lawn
>> and cactus for landscaping.
>
>And what is wrong with natural landscape?

Well, I personally prefer trees. (Real trees, not Palo Verde stunted
bush-trees.) Which you can find just everywhere in northern AZ.

>>Presidential choice : Clinton Anybody BUT Clinton.
>
>Least we didn't give the US _Reagan_... sheesh.

Well, in all fairness, we DID try to give Goldwater to the nation.... ;-)

>>Bumper stickers : too ugly to Standard practice to plaster bumper
>>plaster on a car. stickers like :
>> If it Ain't Country It Ain't Music.
>> Pussies Can Never Be Heroes.
>> God, Guns, and Guts -- It Made America.
>
>You must've been in Mississippi or something. I've YET to see any of THOSE
>bumper stickers. Most of the ones here say something about abortion or
>the annoying 'Shit happens'.

Or the annoying "Visualize World Peace." Ye gods, I hate that bumper
sticker. The only good thing that ever came out of it was the parody
sticker "Visualize Whirled Peas," and even that's old after the first time
you read it.

--
_ _
Ryan Franklin | Ro shite ko nashi.

Joseph T. Kung

May 2, 1993, 4:32:04 PM5/2/93
>>I don't suppose most folks here read alt.california. :) Maybe
>>that explains why the following posting of a couple of days ago hasn't
>>provoked any response from Arizonans, except me. (Who happens to
>>be from Southern California & so has double reason to see
>>Bay Area frou-frou elitism for what it is...)
>>
>>Anyway, y'all better give the good readers on alt.california a
>>dose of reality...
>
>One dose of reality coming up. :)
>
>[unnecessary blather deleted]
>
>> NORTHERN CALIFORNIA ARIZONA
>>--------------------------- --------------------------------
>>
>>Lots of regulations and limits You can violate anybody else's
>>on personal freedoms. personal freedoms quite easily and
>> get away with it.
>
>Wow... and here I thought it was illegal to violate others' civil and
>personal rights. Now when did Arizona revert back to the pre-Civil War
>era?? (Like California should talk about violation of civil rights -
>re: Rodney King, Asian-Americans, the list goes on)

You want to see civil rights going backwards? Come to AZ where they
voted down MLK holiday, was pressured by the rest of the country, and
finally voted on it (no landslide either). The city of Mesa voted it
down! There's also a KKK presence here as well as plenty of white
people who (like Colorado) don't want any special laws against
discrimination of gays. It's white and conservative -- just like
Orange county in Southern CA, except not as affluent.

>>You can get shot by armed You can get shot by anyone.
>>gang members.
>
>Sheesh... in California, not only do the gang members carry weapons, but
>half the retired community does as well (and they've got worse aim! :)
>This is not to mention that those Californian's who miss you the first
>time will sue your ass for whatever damage THEY inflicted by missing you.

Again, this is predominately Southern CA, not Northern CA. The gun
control laws in AZ are pretty lax. This is NRA country. They allow
*minors* to carry guns, but you've got to have written permission from
mom and dad -- and the NRA sued the city over this issue but lost.
What a joke.

>>The weather is good year-round. Very hot and dry in summer.
>> Splendid winters and springs.
>
>Oh yes... that humidity in California is LOVELY.

Where exactly are you talking about? The Bay Area is fairly dry. Of
course it may be more humid since it's close to water as opposed to
being in a desert.

>>It's gotten way too crowded and It's not too crowded, but the people
>>expensive. you do meet, you'd wish you hadn't.
>
>Oh yeah... like I'd want to go to the urban Sacramento area just to
>converse with someone over a highly expensive cup of coffee ('scuse me...
>EXPRESSO for you Cali yuppies :)

As was pointed out, that's ESPRESSO. Those Cal yuppies at least know
what they're drinking.

>>Housing is expensive. Housing is cheap, with a dirt lawn
>> and cactus for landscaping.
>
>And what is wrong with natural landscape?

>Oh, I forgot... you're so overcrowded, you've forgotten what natural
>landscape IS. My apologies.

I like large trees, grass lawn, rolling hills, etc. Dirt and cactus
are not my idea of natural landscape. Unless you're talking about the
indigenous Suguaro cactus -- and then it's only in AZ.

>>Food is spectacular with great Food reminds you of the Midwest --
>>ethnic variety -- and healthy. bland, heart-attack food.
>
>That's a definition of taste. Arizona is primarily varied in its ethnic
>food between Mexican/Hispanic and Asian. (Although, the McDonald's places
>keep popping up all over the place... just like in California.)

Yes, that's a definition of taste, but to say that AZ has good Asian
food is a big joke. California (Northern or Southern) has much better
Asian food -- probably since more Asians live there. Mexican/Hispanic
is not bad, but not incredibly good either. Southwestern is good. As
for my experience in AZ, I've been to some of the better restaurants in
Phoenix - Christopher's, Cafe Terra Cota, Marco Polo Cafe, etc. Then
again, I *live* here, so perhaps I know more than a student at UA. :-)
The question still remains -- where's the food variety in Arizona?

>>Extremely liberal and tolerant. Extremely conservative, gun-toting,
>> and racist.
>
>THERE'S a racist remark if I've ever heard one, especially coming from a
>state where the STATE COURT found the officers involved in the Rodney King
>incident INNOCENT. As for the gun-toting... go back above and talk to your
>gang members about that.

San Francisco and the Bay Area are arguably the most liberal and
tolerant areas in the US. Your Rodney King incident was in *Southern*
CA. Please don't confuse the two areas like you have throughout your entire
posting.

>>Environmentally-concerned. Hunters who enjoy killing anything
>> that moves, including bald eagles.
>
>Right. All those environmentalists from California who organise their
>protests, drive their gas-guzzling Volkswagens to meet everyone, stop on
>the way at McDonald's to pick up something to eat, and protest scientific
>research facilities in the cause of environmentalism are sure doing the
>right thing. And by the way... Arizona's mostly a desert. Tell me how a

>bald eagle is going to live in a desert.

Gas guzzling VW's? How about the TranAms, Cameros, Cadillacs here in
AZ? There's less emphasis on environmentalism here than most states.
It's slowly changing, with recycling efforts and ethanol in gas, but
there's no mass transit here at all (the bus system is pathetic like
in LA) -- BART in the Bay Area is clearly superior. Oh, and just to
inform you -- a bald eagle was found a few months ago wounded from a
bullet, and they do live in AZ. They couldn't understand who could
*shoot* a bald eagle since they are so distinctive. It doesn't
surprise me -- I see so many cactus (hundreds of years old) riddled
with bullet or shotgun holes.

>>Ethnically diverse. Predominately white.
>
>*Ding!* Thank you for playing. Or did you forget about the population of
>Native Americans and Hispanics that live in the state? Y'know... those
>people who were living in the area before the white man came in and tried
>to take over? Oh wait... I forgot... California's not a racist state at
>all... nope nope.

Perhaps you haven't lived in the 2-million+ Phoenix area (2/3 of AZ).
Seems to me that the Indians are on Reservations, and the Hispanics
are in largely poorer areas and never seen in the larger areas. In
Phoenix/Scottdale, you never see anybody except white people. And I
never see that many Asians. It's less than half the national average.

>>Academically-oriented. Football/basketball-oriented.
>
>This from a state that fires head coaches for not winning Rose Bowls
>and NCAA championships...

This is based on Berkeley, arguably the best public university in the
US, and who lost their football coach (Bruce Snyder) to ASU, who paid
approximately $600K for him. Berkeley figured it could spend that
money on *academics*. I don't want to even talk about Stanford and how
they're superior to AZ schools in academics and athletics.

>>Stanford, Berkeley, UCSF UA, ASU, NAU -- third-rate party schools.
>
>Hey! They're first-rate party schools! Get it right!
>
>Oh yes, btw... did YOU know that 1/3 of each school's students is from...
>CALIFORNIA?? Gee... go figure. It couldn't be because the state of Cali
>keeps raising their tuition to unbelievable amounts... no... that can't
>be it...

Sorry -- I stand corrected. They are superior party schools. Thanks
for correcting me on that. Now, what about the academics? And those
Cal students -- are they from *Southern* CA? Probably couldn't get into
UCLA, much less Berkeley or Stanford.

>>Wonderful geography. Great geography in largely
>> unpopulated areas.
>
>Isn't that the best kind of geography?
>Oh wait... I keep forgetting... you're so overcrowded you don't REMEMBER
>what the state looked like unpopulated.

Yeah, I remember what it looks like -- I goto Yosemite or Lake Tahoe,
or along PCH to Monterey. Again -- Northern CA. Check out Ansell Adams
or Galen Rowell for their award-winning photos.

>>Wonderful culture. No culture in the cities, unless you
>> consider watching the Chicago Cubs
>> culture.
>
>WHERE do people watch the Chicago Cubs?? Bleah.
>Oh yes, and I'd count getting mugged on a street in Sacramento 'cultured'.

What culture is there in Phoenix except truck pulls and heavy-metal
music? Or maybe country music. The symphony is not that great, and the
musical events are not that great. The Phoenix Suns are the biggest
things here. Perhaps you can fill me in on what great 'culture' is here
compared to SF.

>>Designated No Smoking in most Smoking everywhere.
>>areas.
>
>*Ding!* Thank you for playing. According to Arizona state statutes,
>there is NO smoking allowed in public indoor areas owned by the state
>or federal government. And State statutes also state that all public
>buildings MUST have a non-smoking area if there are smoking areas.

Sure, there are statutes -- that doesn't mean they're always followed.
Regardless of whether there are designated areas, everybody smokes here,
rich or poor. I've never been in an area where so many people,
regardless of where you are, smoke in their cars and throw the butt
out the window.

>>Happening, diverse music scene. No music scene. Country music preferred.
>

>Country is only preferred in the rural areas, where there aren't many
>people and where people STILL HAVE FARMS. (Concept! :)

Wrong. Country music is big in Phoenix. Alternative music is pretty
small -- for a while, there even wasn't an alternative station here.
Perhaps those bands are too liberal for the largely conservative and
white population. When Lollapalooza came, people booed when bands
talked about MLK holiday and AIDS.

>>Technical, educated community. Computer-illiterate, uneducated
>> community.
>
>*blink* Oh yes... we're so computer-illiterate, and uneducated we can't
>even do something like post to a news server. *guffaw*

But you're posting from a university (UA). Howabout ASU or perhaps
someone outside school? There is practically no one here who has any
concept of the Internet.

>>Young, intelligent professionals. Old, conservative, married, largely blue-
>> collar workforce.
>
>You forgot to add 'unmarried' or 'divorced' in front of 'professionals' there.
>Oh and explain why IBM was so willing to pull out of California and relocate
>to Arizona?

Ahh...that's easy. AZ is a source of cheap labor and low overhead.
You'll be glad to know that AZ, NM, FL, etc are like third-world
nations. Cheap labor for manufacturing. I wonder what these places
will look like in a few years -- factories bellowing smoke, more cars,
low-income jobs, etc.

>>Cars : Japanese, German, GM. Have more crappy TransAms and Cameros
>>American. than any place on Earth.
>
>That's _really_ weird, since there IS no predominant car here. Maybe you
>were driving through South Tucson? ;)

Total bullshit. GM cars dominate in the middle-class and low-income
areas, and Lexus and Acura dominate in the affluent areas like
Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. And the GM cars are not Saturn (a
respectable car) but shitty TransAms and Cameros.

>>Beer : Pete's Wicked Ale, Budweiser or any other bad, mass-produced
>>Sierra Nevada. American beer..
>
>*bzzt* Try Newcastle Ale. :) (Corona is also very popular with the college
>students ;) What's REALLY frightening is the majority of the CALIFORNIAN
>students who attend here _like_ Keystone.

There are probably more brew pubs and microbreweries in the Bay Area
than any other place in the US. The beer there is clearly superior to
the crap people drink in Phoenix. Hops! in Scottsdale has a good wheat
beer that won a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival, but I
doubt many people know that -- they're content drinking Miller or Bud.

>>Wine : Mondavi, Petrus, Wine is for wimps.
>>Rothschild.
>
>Hmmm... got me there. I don't drink it. :)

The Bay Area also has Napa Valley, a beautiful place where some of the
best grapes outside France are grown, and great wines are made. I
would think most people in Arizona don't care too much about this.

>>Presidential choice : Clinton Anybody BUT Clinton.
>
>Least we didn't give the US _Reagan_... sheesh.

No .. you just tried to give us GOLDWATER! AZ voted for Bush, BTW. The
Bay Area overwhelmingly voted for Clinton.

>>Bumper stickers : too ugly to Standard practice to plaster bumper
>>plaster on a car. stickers like :
>> If it Ain't Country It Ain't Music.
>> Pussies Can Never Be Heroes.
>> God, Guns, and Guts -- It Made America.
>
>You must've been in Mississippi or something. I've YET to see any of THOSE
>bumper stickers. Most of the ones here say something about abortion or
>the annoying 'Shit happens'.

Well, perhaps you should mosey on up to Phoenix and Mesa. I've never
seen so any bad bumper stickers, ASU alumni licenses, bad personalized
plates, Phoenix Suns propaganda, etc. It's pretty pathetic to see this
place hungry for a championship after being such a loser city for so
long. And the crowds *like* to see the fights -- egging on that fight
a while ago against the Knicks. And then you've got the rich couples
who sued each other over the rights for Suns playoff tickets that they
shared -- what immature behaviour, but not surprising for Arizona. The
judge by the way ruled that they should share and alternate. Boy, such
a hard decision!

- Joe

Andrew R. Ghali

May 2, 1993, 5:59:38 PM5/2/93

In article <jtkungC6...@netcom.com>, jtk...@netcom.com (Joseph T. Kung) writes:
... a huge bunch of drivel.

Joe, you seem to be quite the effete intellectual snob. Your simple
comparisons of "quality of life" simply amount to "if it doesn't agree
with my political agenda then it must be bad" is so juvenile that it
doesn't even merit a point by point analysis. I was born in northern
CA, lived in southern CA, spent the best part of two years in the Phoenix
area, and passed through other parts of AZ. As far as quality of life
is concerned, AZ has CA beat with the exception of the the latter's
proximity to the Pacific ocean. Your dogmatic whining notwithstanding,
Arizona is a nicer place to live, which is why so many Californians
relocate their to retire. The taxes are lower, which is why industry
is moving there from California, and the urban problems are not as pro-
nounced, though the trend is negative as more of California crosses
the border. And that MLK holiday brouhaha was lot more complex than
"Arizona is a bunch of redneck idiots" as you imply and I don't begrudge
the people of the state selecting how they want the state run. I do
have a problem with "know-it-all" types (such as yourself) coming in and
telling everybody what is right and that they are some sort of recessive
gene cesspools because they don't buy into your politics, which seems to
be the common attitude of the oh-so-tres-chic politically correct crowd
of puerile thinkers and mediocre minds.

Please, do us all a small favor: shut up and grow up.

Thank you.

Andrew

dale pletcher

May 3, 1993, 6:43:35 PM5/3/93

>Oh yes... that humidity in California is LOVELY.

What humidity? Perhaps you are confusing all of California with Florida.

>Right. All those environmentalists from California who organise their

>protests, drive their gas-guzzling Volkswagens to meet everyone, ...
I don't like foriegn cars or enviro-kooks, but I do not follow the
part about gas-guzzling VW's.

>*Ding!* Thank you for playing. ... (ellipses ad infinitum)
[several more paragraphs of sentence fragments, punctuated exclusively
with ellipses]

>Oh yes, and I'd count getting mugged on a street in Sacramento 'cultured'.

I'm honestly curious about this. I grew up in Sacramento for the last
fifteen years, and I've spent countless hours wandering around every part
of the town, including downtown, the riverfront, the richards boulevard
area, west sac, del paso heights, north highlands, rancho cordova, C st.,
around florin mall, and lots of tamer areas, both during the day and
at all hours of the night, both alone and with friends. I have never
once had anything approaching a problem. I think you must have been
doing something wrong if you got mugged there.

>*Ding!* Thank you for playing.

Why do you keep saying that? You sound like the geek in the Head
and Shoulders commercial that they made fun of on the Ben Stiller
show. That was a great show; too bad it's gone.

-- David Pletcher
dple...@jarthur.claremont.edu

Jim Jones

May 3, 1993, 4:32:26 PM5/3/93
California Arizona

>>The weather is good year-round. Very hot and dry in summer.
>> Splendid winters and springs.
>
>Oh yes... that humidity in California is LOVELY.

Humidity? <Chuckle,snort,snort> HUMIDITY?

If you think California is particularly humid, you don't know what
humidity is. (And if you come from Arizona, you probably don't.)

Yes, California is more humid than Arizona, and there are some
places where heat and humidity combine for a one-two punch (summer in
Sacramento, which you mentioned repeatedly, is one of them). But generally
it's not much to speak of compared with, say, summer on the east coast or in
the midwest. And, with the exception of Sacramento, Bakersfield, Barstow
and a few other fun spots, our summer heat is a lot less brain-boiling
than Arizona's.

Jason D Corley

May 3, 1993, 10:10:14 PM5/3/93
In article <1s3vgq$l...@male.EBay.Sun.COM> ji...@contractor.EBay.Sun.COM (Jim Jones) writes:
>In article <1993May2.0...@organpipe.uug.arizona.edu> gall...@helium.gas.uug.arizona.edu (Paul A Gallegos ) writes:
>
> California Arizona
>
>Yes, California is more humid than Arizona, and there are some
>places where heat and humidity combine for a one-two punch (summer in
>Sacramento, which you mentioned repeatedly, is one of them). But generally
>it's not much to speak of compared with, say, summer on the east coast or in
>the midwest. And, with the exception of Sacramento, Bakersfield, Barstow
>and a few other fun spots, our summer heat is a lot less brain-boiling
>than Arizona's.

You know it! Brain-boiling is practically a SPORT around here. You
haven't lived until you've rested out in the sun reading a thick
book (no, not the wimpy little Evian-drinking sun they have out
in California, the REAL SUN DAMMIT! THE REAL THING! THAT FUCKER
RIGHT UP THERE!!!!!111!!) and your head starts to feel sorta fizzy
and your vision blurs, and you roll over onto your side so you
don't get skin cancer, but the book is so good you keep reading,
and the air is dry enough that you HAVE to have a nice cool drink
next to you...you can't forget it, or leave it behind. You have it
with you at all times. And when the sun gets low, you just slide
on a generic $1.99 pair of sunglasses, no, none of those CA-overpriced
skinny goggle things, we're talking REAL sunglasses. Real real sunglasses
with a couple of dark rocks in a wire frame, and you lay there and you
read until you can't see anything anymore, and then you've still got
an evening in front of you---and evenings are when you're GLAD you're
in Arizona for the summer, because they're mellow and relaxing and
there are people everywhere. Of course, when it gets late, the "night life"
(used loosely) kind of drifts away (probably to California), but these
are things you have to live with. And then you go back, and your sheets
are cool, and the ceiling fan hums all night long.

That's called brain-boiling, son. That's what it's all about.

--
(1) Ignorance of your profession is best concealed by solemnity and silence,
which pass for profound knowledge upon the generality of mankind.

Paul A Gallegos

May 4, 1993, 7:22:41 PM5/4/93
cor...@argon.gas.uug.arizona.edu (Jason D Corley ) writes:

>You know it! Brain-boiling is practically a SPORT around here.

[...]

>That's called brain-boiling, son. That's what it's all about.

*dies in fits of hysterical laughter*
That was just TOO funny. :)

Dave Schaumann

May 4, 1993, 9:15:17 PM5/4/93

Has it occurred to anyone that it might be just as well if no one in
CA thinks AZ is a good place to live? More of them would stay away
then...

Dave "on the right side of the San Andreas" Schaumann
--
Dave Schaumann da...@cs.arizona.edu