New room with deck on top -- roof question

kal...@my-deja.com

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
I'm designing a new room addition (16' X 16'). I'm kinda' stuck on the
roof design. Joe Barta, I'd especially like to hear your comments.
Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Frame the room to be level all around the top.

2. Use 2 X 10 joists (12" OC) cut diagonally along their length to
create a 1/4"-per-foot slope. The joists will hang from a ledger
bolted to the house and will rest on a beam running through the center
of the room and on top of the furthest outside wall of the new room.

3. Screw 5/8 TIG plywood to the joists.

4. Hire a contractor to install a rubber (EPDM) roof.

5. Align 2 X 4 sleepers with the joists and screw through the roof
into the joists. Taking care, of course, to seal the down-side of the
sleepers where the screws penetrate the EPDM.

6. Use the cut-off waste from the joists as shims to level the deck.
Shims screwed to sleepers.

7. Blocking between shims.

8. Screw 5/4 TREX decking to the shims.

Is this a reasonable approach? To enhance stability, I'd like to avoid
using the shims. But, I'm a little worried about a sloping deck. I
wouldn't want my beer to slide off the table :-). Thanx in advance.

TTFN,

Kalote

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Joe Barta

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
wrote:

>I'm designing a new room addition (16' X 16'). I'm kinda' stuck
>on the roof design. Joe Barta, I'd especially like to hear your
>comments.

"You like me! You really like me!"

>Here's what I'm thinking:

I'm thinking how the roof structure is framed has a lot to do with
how it will attach to the house. Are we assuming the entire thing
will bump into a two story sidewall? I'll assume this is the case.

>1. Frame the room to be level all around the top.
>
>2. Use 2 X 10 joists (12" OC) cut diagonally along their length
>to create a 1/4"-per-foot slope. The joists will hang from a
>ledger bolted to the house and will rest on a beam running through
>the center of the room and on top of the furthest outside wall of
>the new room.

Cutting a joist/rafter at an angle like this is rarely a good idea.
You should be able to easily span 16 ft with TJI manufactured
rafters. Get to a lumberyard with rudimentary plans and they'll help
you size them. You should be able to skip the mid-span beam.

>3. Screw 5/8 TIG plywood to the joists.

Fine. If you're doing 16" OC or less then 1/2" 4-ply plywood will
suffice.

>4. Hire a contractor to install a rubber (EPDM) roof.

Good idea. If you have a choice between good, better or best
material, get best. You're building a deck on top of it so you got
one chance to get it right.

>5. Align 2 X 4 sleepers with the joists and screw through the
>roof into the joists. Taking care, of course, to seal the
>down-side of the sleepers where the screws penetrate the EPDM.

Don't screw through the roofing. It will leak.

Your roof should slope at least 1/4 inch per foot. 1/2 inch if you
can. Don't cut the roof joists. Angle the deck sleepers instead.
Don't even worry about attaching the deck, gravity will hold it
down. If you wish, after it's built you can install a few tie down
straps at the perimeter... just don't drive fasteners THROUGH the
roofing. Also, use screws to attach the decking in case you need to
pull up sections in the future.

>6. Use the cut-off waste from the joists as shims to level the
>deck. Shims screwed to sleepers.

See above.

>7. Blocking between shims.

Be careful about blocking. A lot of water will go through the deck
and hit the roof. You want this water to flow out easily.

>8. Screw 5/4 TREX decking to the shims.

I don't know anything about that type of decking. I'm a big fan of
wood.

>Is this a reasonable approach?

Well, some of it.

>To enhance stability, I'd like to
>avoid using the shims. But, I'm a little worried about a sloping
>deck. I wouldn't want my beer to slide off the table :-). Thanx
>in advance.

The deck can be as level as you can make it. See above.

You may have to put some thought into the railings in order that
they be plenty strong. You may not have a lot of deck structure to
attach them to.

- Joe Barta

Spinman

Apr 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/23/00
Yeah....It is a tough one when people want a deck over living space, The
best solution that I have found is...... Are you ready for this....
Fiberglass, yep... that's right... the same stuff boats are made from... I
personally don't like the idea of a rubber roof under a deck when your roof
structure can be the same as you deck..
I prefer TGI joist for flat work.
Install 3/4 T&G CDX plywood, (I guess you could screw it) But I prefer glue
and ring shank nails. Then use body filler to smooth all seams (bondo, ya
know the stuff they fix cars with) get fiberglass mesh and resin (from a
marine supply) apply the mesh to the plywood with the resin then you could
also use a colored gelcoat of your choice for finish.
Now I know some of you are scratching your heads and saying, "does it really
work"??? I have done it on many Margate NJ shore condos over 10 years ago
and haven't had a leak yet... That seems to be the best way I have found to
solve the deck over living space area..
If anyone is interested in the railing and flashing techniques that I
used... let me know...
Vince
Joe Barta <jba...@apk.net> wrote in message

GLT

Apr 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/23/00
On this old house, I think it was showed glass decks, seems to work well, my
only question is, doesn't the resin get brittle over time and crack? Greg
"Spinman" <vinc...@epix.net> wrote in message

Spinman

Apr 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/23/00
I never saw that episode of This Old House, Was Bob the host or was it
Steve... How long ago was it... The great thing is you can just sand and
recoat it recoat it.
Treat it just like a boat deck finish.
Vince
GLT <gre...@gte.net> wrote in message

im_...@my-deja.com

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
In article <3aLM4.1479$7J1.1...@news1.epix.net>,

"Spinman" <vinc...@epix.net> wrote:
> Yeah....It is a tough one when people want a deck over living space,
The
> best solution that I have found is...... Are you ready for this....
> Fiberglass, yep... that's right... the same stuff boats are made
from... I
> personally don't like the idea of a rubber roof under a deck when
your roof
> structure can be the same as you deck..
> I prefer TGI joist for flat work.
> Install 3/4 T&G CDX plywood, (I guess you could screw it) But I
prefer glue
> and ring shank nails. Then use body filler to smooth all seams
(bondo, ya
> know the stuff they fix cars with)

Best wood filler ever made.

>get fiberglass mesh and resin
(from a
> marine supply) apply the mesh to the plywood with the resin then you
could
> also use a colored gelcoat of your choice for finish.
> Now I know some of you are scratching your heads and saying, "does it
really
> work"??? I have done it on many Margate NJ shore condos over 10 years
ago
> and haven't had a leak yet... That seems to be the best way I have
found to
> solve the deck over living space area..
> If anyone is interested in the railing and flashing techniques that I
> used... let me know...
> Vince

Great idea, Vince. I'm curious, was it yours or will I be swiping it
from someone else;-).

Paul

Spinman

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00

> Great idea, Vince. I'm curious, was it yours or will I be swiping it
> from someone else;-).
>
> Paul

I learned it about 12 years ago from an old Italian carpenter.... I am
preaty sure it was before the episoid on This Old House..
Vince

GLT

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
I'm not even sure it was this old house, could have been home time ect. But
it was a deck off the master B.R. with a stucco hand rail, Southwestern
style, if memory serves(which at this point is doubtful) The show was on
about a month ago. Greg