architect fees

Edward C.

Oct 25, 2002, 5:08:06 PM10/25/02
Spoke with a general contractor about building my house, showed him my
preliminary plans from my architect. He like the design and all, but somehow
the talk turned to what I was being charged. I feel I am getting great
service and I know I am getting lower rates than what he usually charges,
but this contractor told me I am gettine reamed.

He said I shouldnt be paying more than 2$ a sq ft., I am paying more like 5$
(my arch doesnt charge by the sq ft anyway, but thats how it works
out)....My question...what is the typical fee for a custom house design,
this guy has me real nervous that I am paying 10-15,000 more than I needed
to.
thanks
Edward

Thomas G. Baker

Oct 25, 2002, 9:52:03 PM10/25/02
to Edward C.

"Edward C." wrote:

In my experience, you are getting a more than reasonable rate - depending on
what you get in the final construction documents package. In Charleston - to
my knowledge - draftsmen are getting $1 to $1.50 per square foot for
construction that costs $100 to $125 per square foot. The best known, and in my
opinion best, residential architect in town gets 10% of houses that probably
cost $130 per square foot and up.

TB

Thomas G. Baker

Oct 26, 2002, 8:09:54 AM10/26/02
to Clayton Development Corp

Clayton Development Corp wrote:

> The architect that designs our houses does the blueprints from 'scratch
> drawings' for @ $1500.00 (Canadian)
>
> Chris Clayton
> Clayton Contracting
> Vernon BC
> "Thomas G. Baker" <tgb...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

What size are the houses and what does that include? Is structural, mechanical,
electrical, and site included?

Tom Baker

3D Peruna

Oct 26, 2002, 11:50:30 PM10/26/02

> He said I shouldnt be paying more than 2$ a sq ft., I am paying more like
5$
> (my arch doesnt charge by the sq ft anyway, but thats how it works
> out)....My question...what is the typical fee for a custom house design,
> this guy has me real nervous that I am paying 10-15,000 more than I needed
> to.
> thanks
> Edward

I've worked in a Design/Build firm where the we would only design if we were
going to build it. Our fee for architecture, which included a FULL set of
architectural drawings, electrical, structural, cabinet and details as
necessary , was 7% of the estimated construction budget and the "cheapest"
house I ever did there was $125 sq. ft. Most of them went to $200, with
several in the $300+ range.

There are several builders in town who design for "free." If you build with
them, you get your design "free." But you get what you pay for...a house
that's been built before, design elements that have been over used, windows
in strange configurations and positions, little attention to the ebb and
flow of life in how the plan functions. Most of the builders don't have
*real* architects on staff and their designs show it. We have a draftsman
in the area who'll do a "full" set of plans for $1500 or less. Not exactly
stuff that increases property values.

Also, don't forget that your architect is including a lot more in that $5
sq. ft. than just plans. He gets to be the one to make sure your builder
stays on task. He gets to deal with most of the problems that crop up on
site. You get his advice and experience not only in the design, but in the
construction drawings and throughout the construction.

One more thing, many builders don't think too much of architects. They all
think they can design a house better than any architect. They think
architects are overpaid and underworked and have know idea what they're
doing. They set you up for an adversarial relationship between you and your
architect. They look to undermine your relationship with the architect so
that you'll trust their judgement and opinion. I've seen this happen
before. Then, they'll be able to do what THEY want during construction and
what THEY want may not be in your best interest. OK...so this may not be
happening, but watch out for builders who don't have much good to say about
architects.

Sure, you may think you could save $10-15,000 more for the drawings than if
you'd have hired a "draftsman." But, as the hackneyed old adage says "You
get what you pay for." You said you feel like you're getting a great
service...so be happy. You can buy a Yugo or a Mercedes. Both get you from
point A to point B. But which would you rather ride in? You've decided
with your architect to ride in the Mercedes. Enjoy the ride.

Paul Hirst, AIA

JD

Oct 28, 2002, 12:05:04 PM10/28/02
"Edward C." <e...@bti.net> wrote in message

This issue comes up often. Stop worrying. First, you've gotten a design that
you are happy with and unique. $5/sf is more than fair for an architect's
services and nowhere near being out of line. $2 is bargain basement and some
cutthroat draftsmen work for $1. As is the case in most things, you get what
you pay for.

How big is the place and what scope of services is the architect providing?

Edward C.

Oct 28, 2002, 2:12:33 PM10/28/02
The current house is 3200 sq. ft., with a 1200 sq ft unattached guest house
with garage.

We have been thru 4 designs with him, to get the one we want. His fee does
not include enginnering, we will have to pay another guy for that....hes
been out to the lot 4 times with us (and he lives in LA, so its 3 hours thru
traffic!)

"JD" <capturedspac...@aol.com> wrote in message

JD

Oct 28, 2002, 1:58:47 PM10/28/02

"Clayton Development Corp" <canamer...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> The architect that designs our houses does the blueprints from 'scratch
> drawings' for @ $1500.00 (Canadian)

1) I question whether the guy is an architect.
2) I doubt the designs are very good.
3) He's an idiot.

JD

Oct 28, 2002, 3:02:29 PM10/28/02

> The current house is 3200 sq. ft., with a 1200 sq ft unattached guest
house
> with garage.
>
> We have been thru 4 designs with him, to get the one we want. His fee does
> not include enginnering, we will have to pay another guy for that....hes
> been out to the lot 4 times with us (and he lives in LA, so its 3 hours
thru
> traffic!)

Any you question his fee? Sounds like needs to charge more.

If I were you I wouldn't hire the contractor you mentioned.

Edward C.

Oct 28, 2002, 11:50:53 PM10/28/02
1. I am not hiring the contractor, even though he does the best work in
town, I just cant afford it.

2. My Architect rules, great guy, talented as heck, and gone the extra mile
for us, you know though, its hard when u r spending that kind of money and
some guy tells you are getting ripped, no matter how confident you are, u
gotta "wonder"

thanks

"JD" <capturedspac...@aol.com> wrote in message

JD

Oct 29, 2002, 1:19:12 PM10/29/02

> 1. I am not hiring the contractor, even though he does the best work in
> town, I just cant afford it.
>
> 2. My Architect rules, great guy, talented as heck, and gone the extra
mile
> for us, you know though, its hard when u r spending that kind of money and
> some guy tells you are getting ripped, no matter how confident you are, u
> gotta "wonder"
>
> thanks

I hear you. Especially when you hear it from someone who you assume is a pro
and should know better.

We see a lot of posts in these newsgroups about plans and fees. Most people
are looking for the cheapest way and I suspect that some are wasting their
time and money on "plans" from websites or from draftsmen who don't know
what they're doing.

In the end, you'll find that the money you're spending up front will not
only save you more later, it will provide you with a better project.

Have fun & good luck.

BTW, if the budget appears to be blown, ask your architect for ideas on
cutting it. Perhaps something like a carport instead of a garage for the
time being.

Anthony M. Ippolito

Nov 8, 2002, 10:55:28 AM11/8/02
Do not let the contractor put you on a path of destruction with your
architect. The architect should have told you about any extra charges. You
can file complaints with the AIA, local and state officials.
Talk to your architect about this.

Tell your contractor that he should worry about his fees not others.
If you have any other questions let me know, I may be able to get you on the
right track.

--
Anthony Michael Ippolito
Architectural Drafting & Design Services
Architectural Drafting & Design

3D Peruna

Nov 9, 2002, 8:15:15 PM11/9/02

"Anthony M. Ippolito" <ippo...@pvns.net> wrote in message

> Do not let the contractor put you on a path of destruction with your
> architect. The architect should have told you about any extra charges. You
> can file complaints with the AIA, local and state officials.
> Talk to your architect about this.
>
> Tell your contractor that he should worry about his fees not others.
> If you have any other questions let me know, I may be able to get you on
the
> right track.
>

> --
> Anthony Michael Ippolito
> Architectural Drafting & Design Services
> ippo...@pvns.net
> Architectural Drafting & Design

Are you a registered/licensed architect? (if not, what state are you in?
Can you legally use the term *architectural*?)

What is your training and experience?

Why are you better than an architect?

From your post, I'm infering that you don't think an architect is necessary
in the residential arena, or that you can fix the problem because you're NOT
an architect. I get really tired of this argument by *draftsmen* that
architects are unnecessary. Draftsmen have a place, but they are NOT
architects. The level of service we provide, and I include residential
architecture in this, is at a higher level. I also believe that the quality
of design by architects is siginificantly higher than a draftsman's design.
There are exceptions in both directions, but the RULE is that architects
provide a better service than architects.

As for the original question, its a fair one...did he pay too much?
Everyone is worried about this with anything. From the original post, I
think the guy was happy with his architect AND was aware that the structural
fees were extra. Nothing to cause anyone heartburn. But the contractor is
a guy I would worry about. If he's already badmouthing the architect, then
it won't go anywhere but downhill.

Paul the grumpy not-so-old man.

Anthony M. Ippolito

Nov 9, 2002, 11:55:33 PM11/9/02
for your general information.
Architectural refers to the type of drafting I do. As for training and
experience I have a degree and 40 years experience.
As for what I do, that remains to be my business as we still live in a free
country.

I did not state that an architect is not needed. Read my post or write me
direct for any information. As for the comment that I infer that I am better
then some Architects, that may be correct in some sense as there are some
brilliant architects out there that I could not even be in the same room
with. what about you?????

3D Peruna <wha...@NOBADMAILweirdness.com> wrote in message

Anthony M. Ippolito

Nov 9, 2002, 11:57:47 PM11/9/02
PS:: I am also retired

JD

Nov 11, 2002, 2:22:02 PM11/11/02

> for your general information.
> Architectural refers to the type of drafting I do. As for training and
> experience I have a degree and 40 years experience.
> As for what I do, that remains to be my business as we still live in a
free
> country.

You're missing the point. In many (if not all) states, it is illegal to use
the term "architectural" without being licensed.

Damir Marekovic

Nov 11, 2002, 7:00:08 PM11/11/02
I agree.

Damir Marekovic