Anagrams = Ars magna

Don Shepherd

Jul 2, 2008, 2:33:27 AM7/2/08
I just saw this short about a guy that makes anagrams:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/shorts/shorts_arsmagna.html

Here's what he did with the Pledge of Allegiance:

"I George Bush, an evil fascist republican, end life, facilitate death,
create militant rebel jihads, and send youth to die for nothing."

Don

Ned

Jul 2, 2008, 11:10:32 AM7/2/08

"Don Shepherd" <donshep...@nauticom.net> wrote in message

> I just saw this short about a guy that makes anagrams:
>
> http://www.pbs.org/pov/shorts/shorts_arsmagna.html
>
> Here's what he did with the Pledge of Allegiance:
>
> "I George Bush, an evil fascist republican, end life, facilitate death,
> create militant rebel jihads, and send youth to die for nothing."
>
> Don

Unbelievable! What kind of mind?? Btw, as he said it, it
is "George W Bush" and "youths" (plural):

"I George W Bush, an evil fascist republican, end life,

facilitate death, create militant rebel jihads, and send

youths to die for nothing."

I actually did test this, and the one near the beginning of
the clip, which was "Ronald Wilson Reagan" anagrams into "Insane
anglo warlord". (Hmmm... Wonder how he's going to vote this
fall?)

And now there's a problem. Reagan's full name does anagram
into "insane anglo warlord". But, if this is the pledge of
allegiance:

---
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America,
and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
---

Then it does not anagram into the statement he made above.
And you can see it very quickly, even before sorting. If you
take all the punctuation and spaces out of the pledge, you
get this:

ipledgeallegiancetotheflagoftheunitedstatesofamericaandtotherepublic
forwhichitstandsonenationundergodindivisiblewithlibertyandjusticeforall

If you then take all the punctuation and spaces out of the
statement about George Bush, you get this:

igeorgewbushanevilfascistrepublicanendlifefacilitatedeathcreatemilitant
rebeljihadsandsendyouthstodiefornothing

There are 139 letters in the pledge, and only 110 in the statement
about Bush (and that's more than just "under God"), so something is
very wrong.

I think I'll go to the net and see if there is a clarification
of this.

Ned

dt

Jul 2, 2008, 11:23:20 AM7/2/08
Ned wrote:

You don't know how glad I am to see your post! It means I don't have to
check it myself.

DT

Ned

Jul 2, 2008, 11:54:18 AM7/2/08

"dt" <dal...@ATnewsguy.com> wrote in message

>> There are 139 letters in the pledge, and only 110 in the statement
>> about Bush (and that's more than just "under God"), so something is
>> very wrong.
>> I think I'll go to the net and see if there is a clarification
>> of this.
>> Ned
>
> You don't know how glad I am to see your post! It means I don't have to
> check it myself.
> DT

But, if you're thinking of working it out...

I can't find any correction to this on the net (so far). In
one site that quotes him, the only difference between that text
and the video is that the text shows "youth" (as you did, Don)
but he clearly says "youths" on the video).

His anagram has 29 letters less than the pledge. It does not
contain any letters that are NOT in the pledge. Here are the
extra 29 letters in the pledge:

acddeefghiiilllnnooooprttttuw

Weird.
Ned

Benjamin

Jul 2, 2008, 12:12:49 PM7/2/08

Is there some definition of Anagram that allows you to leave out letters
but not add them? That sounds a bit odd, but maybe it's like those dumb
two letter scrabble words that are always allowed.

Ben

Wilson

Jul 2, 2008, 12:35:00 PM7/2/08

Maybe he just lied.

--
Wilson

dt

Jul 2, 2008, 12:44:36 PM7/2/08
Ned wrote:

Try it this way:

I, George W. Bush, an evil Republican fascist, used God to inflict pain
on the world, end life, facilitate death, create militant jihad rebels,
and to let youths die for nothing.

I've found a couple of sites that quote it that way; did the guy just
misquote his own anagram, and nobody up until now has bothered to check
him? (I haven't had a chance to actually watch the video.)

DT

Keynes

Jul 2, 2008, 12:52:56 PM7/2/08

I saw Dubya say "nnooooprttttuw" once.
Or somethig just like it, I'm sure.

dt

Jul 2, 2008, 2:34:28 PM7/2/08
Keynes wrote:

Probably made Letterman's "Great Moments in Presidential Speeches" segment.

DT

Ned

Jul 2, 2008, 7:23:34 PM7/2/08

> Ned wrote:
>> "dt" <dal...@ATnewsguy.com> wrote in message

>>> You don't know how glad I am to see your post! It means I don't have
>>> to check it myself.
>>> DT
>>
>> But, if you're thinking of working it out...
>> I can't find any correction to this on the net (so far). In
>> one site that quotes him, the only difference between that text
>> and the video is that the text shows "youth" (as you did, Don)
>> but he clearly says "youths" on the video).
>> His anagram has 29 letters less than the pledge. It does not
>> contain any letters that are NOT in the pledge. Here are the
>> extra 29 letters in the pledge:
>> acddeefghiiilllnnooooprttttuw
>> Weird.
>
> Try it this way:
>
> I, George W. Bush, an evil Republican fascist, used God to inflict pain
> on the world, end life, facilitate death, create militant jihad rebels,
> and to let youths die for nothing.
>
> I've found a couple of sites that quote it that way; did the guy just
> misquote his own anagram, and nobody up until now has bothered to check
> him? (I haven't had a chance to actually watch the video.)
>
> DT
>

> Try it this way:
>
> I, George W. Bush, an evil Republican fascist, used God to inflict pain
> on the world, end life, facilitate death, create militant jihad rebels,
> and to let youths die for nothing.
>
> I've found a couple of sites that quote it that way; did the guy just
> misquote his own anagram, and nobody up until now has bothered to check
> him? (I haven't had a chance to actually watch the video.)
> DT

Yee-haw! Many thanks Mr. Tilson. Yes, that works out exactly
(I retested it from scratch). And it is 'youths' (plural), but
it's 'jihad rebels' not 'rebel jihads', (also 'republican fascists'
rather than 'fascist republicans'), and there is no 'and send
youths to die', it is 'and to let youths die'.

The Pledge:

ipledgeallegiancetotheflagoftheunitedstatesofamericaandtotherepublic
forwhichitstandsonenationundergodindivisiblewithlibertyandjusticefor
all

The anagram:

igeorgewbushanevilrepublicanfascistusedgodtoinflictpainontheworldend
lifefacilitatedeathcreatemilitantjihadrebelsandtoletyouthsdiefornoth
ing

Ned

FYI, this is how he (the man who created this amazing thing) stated
it in the video (it's WAY different - the mind is a terrible mistress):

"I George W. Bush, an evil fascist republican, end life, facilitate

corysc...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2008, 1:42:21 AM7/3/08
To viewers of "Ars Magna,"

First off, thanks so much for your interest! It's been a weird,
flattering experience to have people aware of the anagrams I do, let
alone have a film crew do a short doc about it.

About the Bush/Pledge anagram...

I emailed Ned (who'd forwarded me part of the thread post) about the
inconsistency between my recitation of the Bush anagram compared
against the Pledge of Allegiance. Well, here's the deal...

I wrote the anagram shortly after Bush was reelected in '04, and
posted it on Wikipedia. I had a lot going on in my life at the time,
and I thought it would remain on the page. But, the same day someone
deleted it off Wikipedia, my hard drive crashed, erasing the only
other copy of it I had (or so I thought...)

Apparently, someone saw it for the one day it was on the web and
reposted in a blog, which later found its way to Anagrammy.com. I
accidentally rediscovered it about five months ago.

Further, the documentary was part of a timed competition in which
filmmakers have only two days to shoot and edit an 8-minute
documentary. I had little time to prepare (since they contacted me in
the morning of Day 1 and shot all my interview later that day), and
having only re-read my Bush anagram a few times since discovering it,
I only could paraphrase it. (The filmmakers said it could "work"
since
I say "it anagrams into *something like*...".

So, for the record, here is the real anagram, which, I promise,
really
does work. ;) The amended/fixed portions are in caps.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and

to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." =

I, George W. Bush, an evil Republican fascist, USED GOD TO INFLICT
PAIN ON THE WORLD, end life, facilitate death, create militant jihad
rebels, AND TO LET youths die for nothing.

The filmmakers wanted to go back and rerecord me saying the anagram
for clarity's sake, but, well, there just wasn't time.

So, there it is! Thanks so much!
Best,
Cory Calhoun

>  nothing."- Hide quoted text -

Ali

Jul 3, 2008, 2:36:43 PM7/3/08

Not bad for a t0p-poster. I wonder if Cory is the anagrammatic
descendant of that *other* Calhoun, suh.

corysc...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2008, 10:42:00 PM7/22/08
On Jul 3, 11:36 am, Ali <lal...@yayaya.com> wrote:
> descendant of that *other* Calhoun, suh.- Hide quoted text -

Indeed, I am. Well, I'm a great-great-great-great-great-great-
grandnephew. And I had to do a report on him and his slavery-
promoting, secession-loving ways. Yeah. Good times. (As it happens,
I'm also related to a Calhoun who not only fought at the Battle of
Little Big Horn, but was Custer's brother-in-law. Let's just say I'm
trying to karmically atone for the sins of the (great-
great...grand)fathers.

Cory

KittyP

Jul 23, 2008, 9:20:41 AM7/23/08

<corysc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>Cory

Ut oh - no one tell Cory the percentage chance of a blood tie to Genghis
Khan.

Kitty

Ali

Jul 23, 2008, 11:32:02 AM7/23/08
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:42:00 -0700 (PDT), corysc...@gmail.com
wrote:

Well, if you're wanting to do some karma carmedy, you've certainly
come to the right place. Myself, I was thinking of watching Little Big
Man again. I do a mean Jack Crabb imitation-

"You gowan down theer, Gen'ral, iffn ya got the grit in yer britches.
Them ain't wimmin 'n children like down by the Washee Dog. "

I grew up down by the Washita River, as a matter of fact.

"You got yer work cut out fer ye, boy, iffn ye want to take on the
Calhouns 'n Custers. They won. They own it all. Little Big Horn was
what we call an anomaly, as was President Lincoln. The whiteyes, they
straightened that right out."

dt

Jul 23, 2008, 1:04:38 PM7/23/08
Ali wrote:

Heh. Whiteyes, indeed! Cory sent me off on a googletear. Compare the
eyes in this picture: http://snipurl.com/33qhm
with this one: http://snipurl.com/33qib

And there's evidently a whole class of words called hyp-hens. Our
traditional cow-orker would be one, if "orker" was a word. Cory seems
to have discovered yell-ow, wee-knight, and 'The suspect was charged
with mans-laughter'.

And another anagram, verification of which I will leave to Ned's
obsessive-compulsive letter-counting program (god, I *hope* it's a
program!):
* Original phrase: "To be or not to be, that is the question,
whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of
outrageous fortune." (Shakespeare).
* Anagram: In one of the Bard's best-thought-of tragedies, our
insistent hero, Hamlet, queries on two fronts about how life turns rotten.

DT

Ned

Jul 23, 2008, 10:13:41 PM7/23/08

"dt" <dal...@ATnewsguy.com> wrote in message

Pfft! It's Excel. (and Word, and DOS, and the good ol' EDT Editor -
Yes I STILL use DOS!) Dammit. And I've got to buy a new computer, my
printer has completely crapped out.

Anyway. Take the two statements:

to be or not to be that is the question whether 'tis nobler in the mind

to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune

in one of the bard's best thought of tragedies our insistent hero hamlet

queries on two fronts about how life turns rotten

Convert them to lower-case without punctuation or spaces, using Word:

tobeornottobethatisthequestionwhethertisnoblerinthemind
tosuffertheslingsandarrowsofoutrageousfortune

inoneofthebardsbestthoughtoftragediesourinsistentherohamlet
queriesontwofrontsabouthowlifeturnsrotten

Using the EDT editor and the DOS Sort command (Word won't do it)
convert them to a long column of single letters and sort the letters
by alpha. (You could do the sorting in Excel, if you wanted.) Then
bring the two columns into Excel, as follows:

col 1 col 2
----- -----
a a
a a
a a
a a
b b
b b
b b
d d
d d
e e
e e
e e
e e
e e
e e
e e
e e
e e
e e
e e
e e
f f
f f
f f
f f
g g
g g
h h
h h
h h
h h
h h
h h
i i
i i
i i
i i
i i
i i
l l
l l
m m
n n
n n
n n
n n
n n
n n
n n
n n
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
q q
r r
r r
r r
r r
r r
r r
r r
r r
s s
s s
s s
s s
s s
s s
s s
s s
t t
t t
t t
t t
t t
t t
t t
t t
t t
t t
t t
t t
t t
t t
u u
u u
u u
u u
u u
w w
w w

Now, you could probably write a macro to compare the two
columns of letters, but just looking at them you can see
that (1) They each have the same number of letters (100),
and (2) They have the same number in each letter. Which,
btw, if you use the 'Pivot Table' function in Excel you
can see the totals of as follows:

Letter # Occur
------ -------
a 4
b 3
d 2
e 12
f 4
g 2
h 6
i 6
l 2
m 1
n 8
o 12
q 1
r 8
s 8
t 14
u 5
w 2
Total: 100

And, so, there it is.

Ned

indiosd...@yahoo.canada

Jul 24, 2008, 11:15:13 AM7/24/08
In article <g67ob7$dld$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>,

A friend from college used to collect these. Her favourite was
pale-ontologist.

Luke

Ned

Jul 24, 2008, 2:38:23 PM7/24/08

"Ned" <ned...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> Using the EDT editor and the DOS Sort command (Word won't do it)

On reconsideration, there IS a way to do it in Word. (I
shouldn't be so hard on Bill - however, did you hear the news
today that the bastard is contributing $250 million to a program
to eliminate smoking globally?) So you can do the whole thing in
Word and Excel. The way to break the solid line of text (with no
punctuation or spaces) into a vertical column of single letters
is as follows:

1. Make a macro (with Tools/Macro) and assign it to a key (like
cntl/M or whatever) which is composed of one right arrow and
one space.
2. Execute the macro by holding down cntl/M until it reaches the
end of the block of text. There will now be single spaces
between each letter.
3. Highlight all the text and press Edit/Replace.
4. In the 'Find what' box put one space, and in the 'Replace with'
box, click on 'Special', then click on 'Paragraph mark'. Then
click on 'Replace All'.
5. You will now have a vertical column of letters. If you had a
line break in the original block of text you will have a double
space in the middle of the vertical column. Remove it.
6. Then highlight the column, do Edit/Copy, bring up Excel and
do Edit/Paste. Then sort that column.

Ned

(But I still like the EDT editor and the DOS commands.)

Bill Pfeifer

Jul 24, 2008, 7:31:40 PM7/24/08
indiosd...@yahoo.canada wrote:

When I first came to the US, I avidly read newspapers in order to add
American words to my mental dictionary. I remember getting stuck on
shee-trock. A female trock? with the second "e" being a typo?
But I couldn't find "trock" in any dictionary.

dt

Jul 25, 2008, 9:57:04 AM7/25/08
Ned wrote:

Well, thanks for both of those explanations. They sound like some of
the stuff I have to do around here that the clients think "happens
automatically". Why did you replace the space with a paragraph, instead
of just a line break? And there's obviously more to this "Pivot Table"
stuff than I've figured out; all I can get it to do is give me a total
count, which is one short, BTW.

DT

dt

Jul 25, 2008, 10:54:20 AM7/25/08
Bill Pfeifer wrote:

Where'd you come from, and when? I'm not sure I was aware that you
ain't from around here, as we say. Your command of the Ainguish
Languish certainly doesn't betray any foreign origin.

DT

Ned

Jul 25, 2008, 11:06:32 AM7/25/08

"dt" <dal...@ATnewsguy.com> wrote in message

I didn't see line break on the list. You might even be able to
put a carriage return in the macro and avoid the Find/Replace all
together.

Pivot tables are cool. I do have to hand it to Bill on this one.
Just remember one thing - insert a space at the top of the column
and label the column, with anything (letter, or col, or count,
whatever). That's why you were "one short", because it took your
first letter as the column heading. Highlight the whole column
and click on:
- Data
- Pivot Table
- Next
- Next
- Chose the radio button 'Existing worksheet' and fill in a cell
position on your worksheet, like D1 or wherever you want it.
- Finish

You will now see the pivot table ready to be set up. And in
this case, with only one column, you will see only one object
in the large gray area over the table. It will be the label
that you put at the top of the original column. Drag and drop
that label to the area of the pivot table labeled (sideways)
"Drop Row Fields Here". Then drag and drop the label again to
the large area of the pivot table labeled "Drop Data Items Here".

And, as Ari always said, Wallah!

Ned

P.S. Needless to say, pivot tables are much, much, MUCH more
powerful than just this.

dt

Jul 25, 2008, 1:21:57 PM7/25/08
Ned wrote:

I'll be damn, it worked! That's *way* cool. I hadn't tried dropping
the fieldname into the two different locations. And you can indeed make
the macro just "rightarrow enter". Starting with your "On
reconsideration..." post, here's what I got. (I left in the original
spaces and punctuation, just for fun)

Index Char Total
1 0 1
2 1 1
3 2 2
4 3 1
5 4 1
6 5 2
7 6 1
8 ' 11
9 - 1
10 240
11 $ 1
12 ( 5
13 ) 5
14 , 7
15 . 20
16 / 6
17 : 1
18 ? 1
19 a 67
20 b 17
21 c 43
22 d 38
24 f 11
25 g 17
26 h 52
27 i 70
28 k 13
29 l 63
30 m 21
31 n 64
32 O 82
33 p 19
34 r 43
35 s 38
36 t 88
37 u 20
38 v 8
39 w 22
40 x 9
41 y 12
Grand Total 1229

So, seven different numerals, 23 different letters, 10 different
punctuation marks, and the blanks. Then, of course, it's trivial to
sort by frequency of use and see:
e 105
t 88
O 82
i 70
a 67
n 64
l 63
h 52
c 43
r 43
d 38
s 38
w 22
m 21
u 20

Why would I want to do that, you ask? So I could compare it to "ETAOIN
SHRDLU", of course. ;-)

Thanks for the tutorial. I've never tried to define a macro before, or
used a pivot table. The more I learn about Excel, the more it seems
like quite possibly the best M$ product ever. I may have to take back
half the things I've said about ol' Bill.

DT

Ned

Jul 25, 2008, 2:58:55 PM7/25/08

"dt" <dal...@ATnewsguy.com> wrote in message

Ha, very close to Etaoin. And I'm sure Bill will be doing enough
crazy shit with his $45 billion to keep us ticked at him for years.

Ned

Bill Pfeifer

Jul 25, 2008, 8:17:15 PM7/25/08
dt wrote:

I came from Germany in '65. Over there, we only learned English in school.
When I came over, I bought the "Dictionary of American Slang" to learn
Merkin. Lotsa interesting stuff. Didn't know the etymology of "crud."

Q: What's the difference between an etymologist and an entomologist?
A: The etymologist knows the difference.

dt

Jul 28, 2008, 9:21:01 AM7/28/08
Bill Pfeifer wrote:

Those two words have "bugged" me for years. ;-)

I'd always assumed "crud" was somehow related to "crude", but that seems
not to be the case: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=crud

DT

halfawake

Jul 28, 2008, 9:58:01 AM7/28/08
dt wrote:

one studies insects, and the other one IS an insect.

robert

- - - - - - - - - - - -

dt

Jul 28, 2008, 2:04:28 PM7/28/08
halfawake wrote:

And insects is doin' it with your sister, right?

DT

Bill Pfeifer

Jul 28, 2008, 6:35:54 PM7/28/08
dt wrote:

> I'd always assumed "crud" was somehow related to "crude", but that seems
> not to be the case: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=crud

As i remember, the "Dictionary of American Slang" defined it as "dried
semen, as it sticks to clothes after intercourse".
It then had a note "this word is used as a general negative description
by younger people, which startles older people who remember the original
definition."

KittyP

Jul 28, 2008, 6:55:53 PM7/28/08

"Bill Pfeifer" <billp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Now if THAT isn't an interesting tidbit of interesting and seminal
information, I don't know what is....

Kitty

Wilson

Jul 28, 2008, 7:52:54 PM7/28/08

Really. I had no idea. A similar thing happened with the word
suck. Originally suck was always followed shortly thereafter
by the word dick. Sometimes long or big was used. And often,
when a really strong point needed to be made, the word donkey.
In my youth it was of course directed at hetero friends not old
enough to know better. I was kind of put off when it started
to be used as a general negative too.

--
Wilson

KittyP

Jul 28, 2008, 8:10:45 PM7/28/08

"Wilson" <Wil...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

That really does suck.
Kitty

Bill Pfeifer

Jul 28, 2008, 8:19:50 PM7/28/08

indiosd...@yahoo.canada

Jul 28, 2008, 11:01:40 PM7/28/08
In article <25udnWDBMbkGxhPV...@supernews.com>,

I remember my surprise as a kid when I was told that "suck" shouldn't be
used because it referred to a sex act. And my surprise as an adult when I
was told "suck" shouldn't be used because it implied that the sex act was
a bad thing.

Luke

halfawake

Jul 29, 2008, 1:45:34 AM7/29/08
dt wrote:

if she don't use da bug spray, they be suckin' her off!

Robert

halfawake

Jul 29, 2008, 1:51:08 AM7/29/08
KittyP wrote:

seamen often don't have a change of clothes after random sex with
landlubbers, so that makes sense!

robert

KittyP

Jul 29, 2008, 9:21:49 AM7/29/08

"Bill Pfeifer" <billp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I was looking at the site contemplating how we have the absolute power and
strength of the internet...a tool like no other in the history of mankind...
to find T-shirts to match absolutely every topic. I want that T-shirt.
Kitty