Mars Poll

Daryl

Jan 20, 2006, 12:50:31 PM1/20/06
NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan
to send a manned mission to Mars. There are two
components of the mission:

1. A group will go to Mars and come back.

2. A group will go to Mars and stay there.

Accomodations on Mars will be two-star. The mission
calls for a loosely tight-knit social group because
of the close proximity and daily contact the members
will have, so absfg is the first choice for recruiting
efforts.

Would you:

1. Want to go and come back.

2. Want to go and stay.

3. Not want to go at all.

4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.

(Pick only 1 or more answers.)

--
Daryl

dt

Jan 20, 2006, 2:27:05 PM1/20/06
Daryl wrote:

1. Definitely, unless...

2. ...maybe, we'll see.

3. Definitely not my answer.

4. Who cares? I mean, accidents do happen....

DT

--
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Lazarhat

Jan 20, 2006, 3:07:11 PM1/20/06
"dt" <dal...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

Go. And stay if it were survivable. Initially it wouldn't be. It's more
likely a moon colony would be established first and be more viable. I'd sign
up for that too.

Wilson

Jan 20, 2006, 4:00:41 PM1/20/06

"Daryl" <nos...@phoney.address> wrote ...

Definitely #1. I'd miss all of the life and animals and stuff here,
just living with people on a more or less sterile world.

willyboy

Jan 20, 2006, 4:13:19 PM1/20/06
Daryl wrote:
> NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan to send a
> manned mission to Mars. Accomodations on Mars will be two-star.

> Would you:
>
> 1. Want to go and come back.
>
> 2. Want to go and stay.
>
> 3. Not want to go at all.
>
> 4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.

2 & 4: "Only go if there will be no monotheist idiots /
bigots (a la Bush, Cheney, DeLay, Robertson,
Santorum, Brownback, Falwell, or any of their
ilk) going"

--
| "If growing up means it will be
| beneath my dignity to climb a tree,
| I'll never grow up; no Sir, not me."
Bill is a charter member of the Peter Pan Club. Ask him about it.

Ben

Jan 20, 2006, 4:17:27 PM1/20/06
Daryl wrote:

Is there an insurance policy? What happens to my kittens if I don't
make it back alive? Can I bring them with me? Can I get them unfixed
so they can bread more cats on mars? Can we then make a broadway revial,
"Cats on mars!"? Can I bring LB? If I do bring LB can she stay out of
any breading program that doesn't soley involve me?

And what's the pay?

Um...I think that's a 1.

Ben

William Hursthouse

Jan 20, 2006, 4:21:19 PM1/20/06
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:13:19 -0500, willyboy <will...@one.net> wrote:

>Daryl wrote:
>> NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan to send a
>> manned mission to Mars. Accomodations on Mars will be two-star.
>>
>> Would you:
>>
>> 1. Want to go and come back.
>>
>> 2. Want to go and stay.
>>
>> 3. Not want to go at all.
>>
>> 4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.
>>
>2 & 4: "Only go if there will be no monotheist idiots /
> bigots (a la Bush, Cheney, DeLay, Robertson,
> Santorum, Brownback, Falwell, or any of their
> ilk) going"

Everyone's crazy 'cept me and you and sometimes I aint so sure about
you....

I think you have to *count* on there being some folks you don'y get
along with in the group, if you don't want the likes of thos listed
above.

wm

willyboy

Jan 20, 2006, 4:27:15 PM1/20/06
William Hursthouse wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:13:19 -0500, willyboy wrote:
>>
>> Daryl wrote:
>>>
>>> NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan to send a
>>> manned mission to Mars. Accomodations on Mars will be
>>> two-star.
>>>
>>> Would you:
>>>
>>> 1. Want to go and come back.
>>>
>>> 2. Want to go and stay.
>>>
>>> 3. Not want to go at all.
>>>
>>> 4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.
>>>
>> 2 & 4: "Only go if there will be no monotheist idiots / bigots (a
>> la Bush, Cheney, DeLay, Robertson, Santorum, Brownback, Falwell,
>> or any of their ilk) going"
>>
> I think you have to *count* on there being some folks you don'y get
> along with in the group, if you don't want the likes of thos
> listed above.

I don't buy it. There is religious devotion and there's
pigheadedness. The ones listed above are pigheaded
about their religion. There are plenty of devoted and
faithful monotheists that are not pigheads.

Daryl

Jan 20, 2006, 4:36:58 PM1/20/06
In article <HrcAf.2563$yE4....@news-wrt-01.rdc-nyc.rr.com>,
eggplan...@yahoo.co.uk says...

>Daryl wrote:
>
>> NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan
>> to send a manned mission to Mars. There are two
>> components of the mission:
>>
>> 1. A group will go to Mars and come back.
>>
>> 2. A group will go to Mars and stay there.
>>
>> Accomodations on Mars will be two-star. The mission
>> calls for a loosely tight-knit social group because
>> of the close proximity and daily contact the members
>> will have, so absfg is the first choice for recruiting
>> efforts.
>>
>> Would you:
>>
>> 1. Want to go and come back.
>>
>> 2. Want to go and stay.
>>
>> 3. Not want to go at all.
>>
>> 4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.
>>
>> (Pick only 1 or more answers.)
>>

>Is there an insurance policy? What happens to my kittens if I don't
>make it back alive? Can I bring them with me? Can I get them unfixed
>so they can bread more cats on mars? Can we then make a broadway revial,
>"Cats on mars!"?

We can work all that out on the way.

>Can I bring LB?

Sure!

>If I do bring LB can she stay out of
>any breading program that doesn't soley involve me?

If that's what she wants.

>And what's the pay?
>
>Um...I think that's a 1.

And coincidentally that's just one more than the pay.

--
Daryl

Ben

Jan 20, 2006, 4:43:53 PM1/20/06
Daryl wrote:

sneaky...

>>And what's the pay?
>>
>>Um...I think that's a 1.
>

> And coincidentally that's just one more than the pay.

Oh man. So if I bring two us we're really not getting paid.

Daryl

Jan 20, 2006, 4:46:35 PM1/20/06
In article <tQcAf.5855$SD....@news-wrt-01.rdc-nyc.rr.com>,

:)

>>>And what's the pay?
>>>
>>>Um...I think that's a 1.
>>

>> And coincidentally that's just one more than the pay.
>>

>Oh man. So if I bring two us we're really not getting paid.

But just imagine riding monocycle in low gravity.

--
Daryl

Ben

Jan 20, 2006, 4:53:22 PM1/20/06
Daryl wrote:

Doooood. I could do some serious off-roading. Without even smushing my
balls!

Kimberly

Jan 20, 2006, 5:22:48 PM1/20/06
Isn't Mars about the same size as Earth? In which case, sorry, the
gravity would be about the same, too.

--Kimberly (who knew that stuff learned in her high school physics class
would come in handy some day)

--
"There is a special, very highly spiritual level of communication that
knows no age. Froggy slippers are the height." --Evelyn Ruut

dt

Jan 20, 2006, 5:47:47 PM1/20/06
Ben wrote:

Not at all! Two of you would get paid *twice* as
much!

Dt
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Lazarhat

Jan 20, 2006, 6:22:52 PM1/20/06
"willyboy" <will...@one.net> wrote in message

heeheehee

You sound a little pigheaded about your aversion to them, too, wb.

Lazarhat

Jan 20, 2006, 6:31:40 PM1/20/06
"Daryl" <nos...@phoney.address> wrote in message

Breading program?

Like veal steaks.... dredge her through some milk, then some bread crumbs,
bake or fry, top with marinara and mozerella -- izzat what you mean, Ben?
Because it sounds delicious.

If so I believe the answer would be YES. She will not be part of any
breading program. Unless we run out of protein. Then we draw straws to
decide what's for dinner and all bets are off. Breeding programs however are
a different story.

No monogamous married couples allowed (or soon to be married). For the above
reasons -- they don't wanna share.Swingers only. Nymphos go to the front of
the line. Especially if they're hot looking. And fertile.

Willyboy

Jan 20, 2006, 6:35:43 PM1/20/06
Lazarhat wrote:

> "willyboy" <will...@one.net> wrote:

>> willyboy first wrote:
>>>
>>> 2 & 4: "Only go if there will be no monotheist idiots / bigots (a
>>> la Bush, Cheney, DeLay, Robertson, Santorum, Brownback, Falwell,
>>> or any of their ilk) going"
>>>
>> I don't buy it. There is religious devotion and there's
>> pigheadedness. The ones listed above are pigheaded about their
>> religion. There are plenty of devoted and faithful monotheists
>> that are not pigheads.
>>
> heeheehee
>
> You sound a little pigheaded about your aversion to them, too, wb.

True. But only the pigheads. I've lived around and
amongst all types of people but the ones that can
really set me off are the ones who try to force their
religion down my throat.

But, I'm not bitter....

--
Willyboy |"I know of no more encouraging fact
| than the unquestionable ability of
willyboy at one dot net | man to elevate his life by a conscious
| endeavor" -H. D. Thoreau
Willy is a charter member of the Peter Pan Club. Ask him about it.

Lazarhat

Jan 20, 2006, 6:38:24 PM1/20/06
"Kimberly" <kap...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Heh. You may know law, but not the law of gravity. ;-)

Mars has less of an atmosphere and is slightly smaller than earth. It has
about 1/3 the gravity the gravity of earth.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mep/science/weight.html

Lazarhat

Jan 20, 2006, 6:42:16 PM1/20/06
"dt" <dal...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

Besides -- it's not like there will be much thinking involved. After all,
you ARE volunteering for a trip to Mars that may or may not come back to
Earth.

Uncle Weasel

Jan 20, 2006, 7:09:36 PM1/20/06
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:50:31 -0500, Daryl wrote
(in message <z_GdnXy2nOB6v0ze...@magma.ca>):

> Would you:
>
> 1. Want to go and come back.

Yes.

> 2. Want to go and stay.

Yes.

> 3. Not want to go at all.

No. . . . I mean, yes!

> 4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.

Hmm. I'll go if Kirsten and William are going. And Wally. And Kimberly. And
Beth, Daryl, dar, Sanford, Wilson, DaveK . . . Oh, hell, why don't we all
just go. Even Bernie, if he's on his meds.

> (Pick only 1 or more answers.)

OK.

--

There are no saints,
There are no sinners,

Uncle Weasel

Jan 20, 2006, 7:15:41 PM1/20/06
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:22:48 -0500, Kimberly wrote
(in message <YodAf.1115$Dk....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>):

>> But just imagine riding monocycle in low gravity.
>>
> Isn't Mars about the same size as Earth? In which case, sorry, the
> gravity would be about the same, too.
>
> --Kimberly (who knew that stuff learned in her high school physics class
> would come in handy some day)

Mars' gravity is one-third Earth's. Because Mars is smaller.

You learned astronomy in a physics class?

---Uncle Weasel

Brian Drummond

Jan 20, 2006, 7:12:59 PM1/20/06
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:22:48 GMT, Kimberly <kap...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>> But just imagine riding monocycle in low gravity.
>>
>Isn't Mars about the same size as Earth? In which case, sorry, the
>gravity would be about the same, too.

It's a bit smaller so has a bit les gravity. Otherwise it could have
held onto more of its atmosphere.

Unless there's a conspiracy not to switch on the atmosphere machine,
like in that film, uh, what was it?

- Brian

Wilson

Jan 20, 2006, 7:21:58 PM1/20/06

"Lazarhat" <lazarhat@burnt_crusty_bits_yahoo.com> wrote ...

PLUS, if you did make it back alive, you'd never have to work
again. That is if you don't consider going on talk shows and public
speaking work.

Luke Clossey

Jan 20, 2006, 7:27:39 PM1/20/06
In article <z_GdnXy2nOB6v0ze...@magma.ca>,

I'd surely miss y'all (or never notice your absence if you can usenet in
space), but definitely #3 for me. I'd be delighted to go on a trip to
anywhere on this planet (well, 98.11173 % of it), but gobsmacked why
anyone would want to go to Mars.

Is it the fertile nyphos that are drawing y'all but making me happy to
hold down the fort here?

Or maybe I read to closely the Sanford-recommended _The Sparrow_ novel,
great fun about first contact with the Alpha Centaurians, which goes
horribly horribly wrong.

Luke

Kimberly

Jan 20, 2006, 7:38:05 PM1/20/06

Dang. Apparently I am an idiot. All these years I've been thinking Mars
is about the same size as earth, and it isn't.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

--Kimberly

dt

Jan 20, 2006, 7:38:09 PM1/20/06

We definitely don't want a breading program. You know what that leads
to, don't you?

Battered women....

DT

Kimberly

Jan 20, 2006, 7:48:49 PM1/20/06
Uncle Weasel wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:22:48 -0500, Kimberly wrote
> (in message <YodAf.1115$Dk....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>):
>

>>>But just imagine riding monocycle in low gravity.
>>>

>>Isn't Mars about the same size as Earth? In which case, sorry, the
>>gravity would be about the same, too.
>>
>>--Kimberly (who knew that stuff learned in her high school physics class
>>would come in handy some day)
>

> Mars' gravity is one-third Earth's. Because Mars is smaller.
>
> You learned astronomy in a physics class?
>
> ---Uncle Weasel

No, I learned about gravity in physics.

--Kimberly

Wilson

Jan 20, 2006, 7:54:29 PM1/20/06

"Brian Drummond" <brian_d...@btconnect.com> wrote ...

Yeah! Good movie.

(And I can't remember what it was either ...)

Willyboy

Jan 20, 2006, 7:58:37 PM1/20/06
Wilson wrote:

> "Brian Drummond" <brian_d...@btconnect.com> wrote ...
>>
>> It's a bit smaller so has a bit les gravity. Otherwise it could
>> have held onto more of its atmosphere.
>>
>> Unless there's a conspiracy not to switch on the atmosphere
>> machine, like in that film, uh, what was it?
>>
> Yeah! Good movie.
>
> (And I can't remember what it was either ...)

I can't recall that one myself... Ahem.

Uncle Weasel

Jan 20, 2006, 8:01:06 PM1/20/06
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:38:05 -0500, Kimberly wrote
(in message <NnfAf.1145$Dk....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>):

> Dang. Apparently I am an idiot. All these years I've been thinking Mars
> is about the same size as earth, and it isn't.

Maybe you're thinking of Venus.

Before Daryl can ask, I'd really rather not go there, even for a visit.

Uncle Weasel

Jan 20, 2006, 8:02:09 PM1/20/06
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:48:49 -0500, Kimberly wrote
(in message <RxfAf.1150$Dk....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>):

> No, I learned about gravity in physics.

So, where did you learn levity?

---Uncle Weasel

--

All roads lead to the mountaintop.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Uncle Weasel

Jan 20, 2006, 8:03:37 PM1/20/06
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:38:09 -0500, dt wrote
(in message <dqrvq7$62e$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>):

> We definitely don't want a breading program. You know what that leads
> to, don't you?
>
> Battered women....

*mmmph*

--

"Teaching fakery which purports to be dhamma is such a terrible thing:
it's like encouraging people to jump into a lifeboat with a hole struck

Ch'an Fu

Jan 20, 2006, 8:41:18 PM1/20/06
Uncle Weasel wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:38:09 -0500, dt wrote
> (in message <dqrvq7$62e$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>):
>
>> We definitely don't want a breading program. You know what that leads
>> to, don't you?
>>
>> Battered women....
>
> *mmmph*

Try taking smaller bites.

Lazarhat

Jan 20, 2006, 8:53:33 PM1/20/06
"Uncle Weasel" <x...@woc.org> wrote in message

No worries there, Unc, as only women are allowed on Venus.

On the other hand, and as usual, Mars needs women.

Lazarhat

Jan 20, 2006, 8:58:05 PM1/20/06
"Willyboy" <will...@one.net> wrote in message

Heheheh.

Totally escapes me, too!

Lazarhat

Jan 20, 2006, 8:59:50 PM1/20/06
"Uncle Weasel" <x...@woc.org> wrote in message

In meditation class, of course.

Lazarhat

Jan 20, 2006, 9:01:18 PM1/20/06
"Ch'an Fu" <cha...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I got the impression that was a muffled rim shot.

Lazarhat

Jan 20, 2006, 9:02:26 PM1/20/06
"Uncle Weasel" <x...@woc.org> wrote in message

And well marbled, from the look of 'im.

William Hursthouse

Jan 20, 2006, 9:03:25 PM1/20/06
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:03:37 -0500, Uncle Weasel <x...@woc.org> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:38:09 -0500, dt wrote
>(in message <dqrvq7$62e$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>):
>
>> We definitely don't want a breading program. You know what that leads
>> to, don't you?
>>
>> Battered women....
>
>*mmmph*

too much crumpet?

wm

Lazarhat

Jan 20, 2006, 9:04:30 PM1/20/06
"Luke Clossey" <lclo...@sfu.ca> wrote in message

The upshot of one going then sucessfully coming back is that people on the
talk show circuit might refer to you as a Martian.

Ch'an Fu

Jan 20, 2006, 9:07:52 PM1/20/06

I can't find a sutta that warns about
taking a shower before going there,
but there must be one...

Lazarhat

Jan 20, 2006, 9:34:31 PM1/20/06
"Ch'an Fu" <cha...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nanyuttacupcakke Sutta, natch.

Ch'an Fu

Jan 20, 2006, 9:46:38 PM1/20/06
Lazarhat wrote:
> "Ch'an Fu" <cha...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Lazarhat wrote:
>>> "Ch'an Fu" <cha...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I got the impression that was a muffled rim shot.
>> I can't find a sutta that warns about
>> taking a shower before going there,
>> but there must be one...
>
> Nanyuttacupcakke Sutta, natch.

Ah, the First Book of Cake and Muffins...

Uncle Weasel

Jan 20, 2006, 10:00:26 PM1/20/06
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:03:25 -0500, William Hursthouse wrote
(in message <0j53t15kpbb2pmt86...@4ax.com>):

A strangled guffaw.

---Uncle Weasel

--

After considerable thought, I have decided to withhold any further comment
other than the fact that I am withholding comment. I would have withheld that

Giggles Like a Girl

Jan 20, 2006, 10:39:40 PM1/20/06
puddinhe...@att.not in <ZbcAf.278872$qk4....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.
worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"Daryl" <nos...@phoney.address> wrote ...

>> NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan
>> to send a manned mission to Mars. There are two
>> components of the mission:
>>
>> 1. A group will go to Mars and come back.
>>
>> 2. A group will go to Mars and stay there.
>>
>> Accomodations on Mars will be two-star. The mission
>> calls for a loosely tight-knit social group because
>> of the close proximity and daily contact the members
>> will have, so absfg is the first choice for recruiting
>> efforts.
>>
>> Would you:
>>
>> 1. Want to go and come back.
>>
>> 2. Want to go and stay.
>>
>> 3. Not want to go at all.
>>
>> 4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.
>>
>> (Pick only 1 or more answers.)
>

>Definitely #1. I'd miss all of the life and animals and stuff here,
>just living with people on a more or less sterile world.

Hey, Ben's bringing LB and their cats, and I'm sure we
can plant a forest or something.

--
Daryl +-+-+-+ Brain Strike! No thought that ain't been bought!

To email me add dawt see eh.

Giggles Like a Girl

Jan 20, 2006, 10:39:41 PM1/20/06
kap...@earthlink.net in <YodAf.1115$Dk....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Daryl wrote:
>> In article <tQcAf.5855$SD....@news-wrt-01.rdc-nyc.rr.com>,
>> eggplan...@yahoo.co.uk says...

>>>sneaky...
>>

>> :)

>>>Oh man. So if I bring two us we're really not getting paid.
>>

>> But just imagine riding monocycle in low gravity.
>>
>Isn't Mars about the same size as Earth? In which case, sorry, the
>gravity would be about the same, too.
>
>--Kimberly (who knew that stuff learned in her high school physics class
>would come in handy some day)

Nope. It's in the same size range but actually about half the
size, a tenth the mass and 0.376 of the gravity (at the equator).
Ben won't be able to achieve escape velocity on the monocycle
but he will be able to do some serious off-roading without
smushing his balls.

Pete Watters

Jan 20, 2006, 11:21:21 PM1/20/06
dt writes:

Oh, there is a special circle in hell for people like you, pal.

Pete (who's just jealous he didn't think of it first...)

--
"No more serious thinking until someone shows us some cash." -- absfg motto

Giggles Like a Girl

Jan 20, 2006, 11:40:29 PM1/20/06
>If so I believe the answer would be YES. She will not be part of any
>breading program. Unless we run out of protein. Then we draw straws to
>decide what's for dinner and all bets are off. Breeding programs however are
>a different story.
>
>No monogamous married couples allowed (or soon to be married). For the above
>reasons -- they don't wanna share.Swingers only. Nymphos go to the front of
>the line. Especially if they're hot looking. And fertile.

Dude, Ben's taking his monocycle. He'll kill hisself trying to
do an Evil Knievel across a Martian canyon or something. No
worries, all his women are belong to us soon enough.

Giggles Like a Girl

Jan 20, 2006, 11:55:41 PM1/20/06
brian_d...@btconnect.com in <opv2t11e5lic0kjue...@4ax.com>
wrote:

>>> But just imagine riding monocycle in low gravity.
>>>
>>Isn't Mars about the same size as Earth? In which case, sorry, the
>>gravity would be about the same, too.
>
>It's a bit smaller so has a bit les gravity. Otherwise it could have
>held onto more of its atmosphere.
>
>Unless there's a conspiracy not to switch on the atmosphere machine,
>like in that film, uh, what was it?

We don't need no steenking atmosphere machine. We'll
bring Stavros and some kind of bacteria that makes
oxygen from methane.

(Total Recall)

Giggles Like a Girl

Jan 20, 2006, 11:55:40 PM1/20/06
x...@woc.org in <0001HW.BFF6E5F0...@News.Individual.NET> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:50:31 -0500, Daryl wrote
>(in message <z_GdnXy2nOB6v0ze...@magma.ca>):
>
>> Would you:
>>
>> 1. Want to go and come back.
>
>Yes.

>> 2. Want to go and stay.
>
>Yes.

>> 3. Not want to go at all.
>
>No. . . . I mean, yes!
>
>> 4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.
>
>Hmm. I'll go if Kirsten and William are going. And Wally. And Kimberly. And
>Beth, Daryl, dar, Sanford, Wilson, DaveK . . . Oh, hell, why don't we all
>just go. Even Bernie, if he's on his meds.
>
>> (Pick only 1 or more answers.)
>
>OK.
>
>> Daryl (<-- He's smart!)

Actually it's "he is smart".

Sanford Manley

Jan 21, 2006, 12:00:19 AM1/21/06

--
Sanford M. Manley
Probably the saddest thing you'll ever

Sanford Manley

Jan 21, 2006, 12:04:28 AM1/21/06
Luke Clossey said:

> Or maybe I read to closely the Sanford-recommended _The Sparrow_ novel,
> great fun about first contact with the Alpha Centaurians, which goes
> horribly horribly wrong.

I was wondering if you got through that.
Did it shock and dismay you the way
it did me? I have rarely cried reading a book.

There is also a good sequel.

--
Sanford M. Manley
God is conscience. He is even the

Giggles Like a Girl

Jan 21, 2006, 12:11:04 AM1/21/06
dal...@newsguy.com in <dqrvq7$62e$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> wrote:

>Lazarhat wrote:
>> "Daryl" <nos...@phoney.address> wrote in message
>>
>>>In article <HrcAf.2563$yE4....@news-wrt-01.rdc-nyc.rr.com>,
>>>eggplan...@yahoo.co.uk says...

>>>We can work all that out on the way.

>>>Sure!

>>>If that's what she wants.

>>>And coincidentally that's just one more than the pay.
>>>

>>>--
>>>Daryl
>>>

>> Breading program?
>>
>> Like veal steaks.... dredge her through some milk, then some bread crumbs,
>> bake or fry, top with marinara and mozerella -- izzat what you mean, Ben?
>> Because it sounds delicious.
>
>We definitely don't want a breading program. You know what that leads
>to, don't you?
>
>Battered women....

Man that was so obvious I didn't bother to say it.

(but LOL anyway;)

Giggles Like a Girl

Jan 21, 2006, 12:11:06 AM1/21/06
>Daryl <nos...@phoney.address> wrote:
>>NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan
>>to send a manned mission to Mars. There are two
>>components of the mission:
>>
>>1. A group will go to Mars and come back.
>>
>>2. A group will go to Mars and stay there.
>>
>>Accomodations on Mars will be two-star. The mission
>>calls for a loosely tight-knit social group because
>>of the close proximity and daily contact the members
>>will have, so absfg is the first choice for recruiting
>>efforts.
>>
>>Would you:
>>
>>1. Want to go and come back.
>>
>>2. Want to go and stay.
>>
>>3. Not want to go at all.
>>
>>4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.
>>
>>(Pick only 1 or more answers.)
>
>I'd surely miss y'all (or never notice your absence if you can usenet in
>space), but definitely #3 for me. I'd be delighted to go on a trip to
>anywhere on this planet (well, 98.11173 % of it), but gobsmacked why
>anyone would want to go to Mars.
>
>Is it the fertile nyphos that are drawing y'all but making me happy to
>hold down the fort here?
>
>Or maybe I read to closely the Sanford-recommended _The Sparrow_ novel,
>great fun about first contact with the Alpha Centaurians, which goes
>horribly horribly wrong.

Well, the alpo-centurians are more likey to come to Earth
first anyway, because it's bigger and our colony will be
so small they'll never even notice it.

The main attraction of Mars so far seems to be it's Mars
with *us* on it, and it's not Earth, which at this point
looks fairly focked.

But so far the way these guys are talking about the breeding
and breading programs, none of our females are likely to
actually volunteer to stay anyway...

Giggles Like a Girl

Jan 21, 2006, 12:41:53 AM1/21/06
manl...@bellsouth.net in <WajAf.7852$TK2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Daryl said:
>
>> 2. Want to go and stay.

We should make sure we bring lots of decks of cards.

And NO books.

Kimberly

Jan 21, 2006, 1:04:01 AM1/21/06
Giggles Like a Girl wrote:

> Well, the alpo-centurians are more likey to come to Earth
> first anyway, because it's bigger and our colony will be
> so small they'll never even notice it.
>
> The main attraction of Mars so far seems to be it's Mars
> with *us* on it, and it's not Earth, which at this point
> looks fairly focked.
>
> But so far the way these guys are talking about the breeding
> and breading programs, none of our females are likely to
> actually volunteer to stay anyway...

Hmm, you noticed that last bit, did you?

--Kimberly

--
"There is a special, very highly spiritual level of communication that
knows no age. Froggy slippers are the height." --Evelyn Ruut

Kimberly

Jan 21, 2006, 1:04:55 AM1/21/06
Giggles Like a Girl wrote:
> manl...@bellsouth.net in <WajAf.7852$TK2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>Daryl said:
>>

>>>2. Want to go and stay.
>

> We should make sure we bring lots of decks of cards.
>
> And NO books.

Can we bring a cribbage board? I play a mean game of cribbage.

Sanford Manley

Jan 21, 2006, 1:21:59 AM1/21/06
Kimberly said:
> Giggles Like a Girl wrote:
>> manl...@bellsouth.net in <WajAf.7852$TK2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>
>> wrote:

>> We should make sure we bring lots of decks of cards.
>>
>> And NO books.
>>

> Can we bring a cribbage board? I play a mean game of cribbage.
>
> --Kimberly

Oh really!? Ever play two handed?

--
Sanford M. Manley
I honor my personality flaws, for without them I

Kimberly

Jan 21, 2006, 1:34:12 AM1/21/06
Sanford Manley wrote:
> Kimberly said:
>
>>Giggles Like a Girl wrote:
>>
>>>manl...@bellsouth.net in <WajAf.7852$TK2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>

>>>We should make sure we bring lots of decks of cards.
>>>
>>>And NO books.
>>>

>>Can we bring a cribbage board? I play a mean game of cribbage.
>>
>>--Kimberly
>

> Oh really!? Ever play two handed?

Of course. Isn't that the norm? You only play three- or four-handed when
you don't have enough cards or cribbage boards to have two games going.

Do you play cutthroat?

Sanford Manley

Jan 21, 2006, 1:39:23 AM1/21/06
Kimberly said:
> Sanford Manley wrote:
>> Kimberly said:

>>> Can we bring a cribbage board? I play a mean game of cribbage.
>>>
>>> --Kimberly
>>

>> Oh really!? Ever play two handed?
>>
> Of course. Isn't that the norm? You only play three- or four-handed when
> you don't have enough cards or cribbage boards to have two games going.
>
> Do you play cutthroat?
>
> --Kimberly

Its been a long time...

(for a lot of things)

--
Sanford M. Manley
Lord give me the strength to blame

Giggles Like a Girl

Jan 21, 2006, 1:43:33 AM1/21/06
kap...@earthlink.net in <bakAf.1215$Dk...@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Giggles Like a Girl wrote:
>> manl...@bellsouth.net in <WajAf.7852$TK2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>> We should make sure we bring lots of decks of cards.
>>
>> And NO books.
>>

>Can we bring a cribbage board? I play a mean game of cribbage.

Heh, you haven't played ME yet!

(that would be a big YAY on the cribbage board)

Giggles Like a Girl

Jan 21, 2006, 1:43:32 AM1/21/06
manl...@bellsouth.net in <wnkAf.8465$TK2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Kimberly said:
>> Giggles Like a Girl wrote:
>>> manl...@bellsouth.net in <WajAf.7852$TK2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>

>>> We should make sure we bring lots of decks of cards.
>>>
>>> And NO books.
>>>

>> Can we bring a cribbage board? I play a mean game of cribbage.
>>
>> --Kimberly
>
>Oh really!? Ever play two handed?

Oh this trip is going to be GREAT!

Giggles Like a Girl

Jan 21, 2006, 1:43:34 AM1/21/06
kap...@earthlink.net in <l9kAf.1212$Dk....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Giggles Like a Girl wrote:
>
>> Well, the alpo-centurians are more likey to come to Earth
>> first anyway, because it's bigger and our colony will be
>> so small they'll never even notice it.
>>
>> The main attraction of Mars so far seems to be it's Mars
>> with *us* on it, and it's not Earth, which at this point
>> looks fairly focked.
>>
>> But so far the way these guys are talking about the breeding
>> and breading programs, none of our females are likely to
>> actually volunteer to stay anyway...
>
>Hmm, you noticed that last bit, did you?

I did, and let me just say that I am shocked at the behaviour
of my fellow males.

Sanford Manley

Jan 21, 2006, 1:48:32 AM1/21/06
Sanford Manley said:
> Kimberly said:
>> Sanford Manley wrote:

>>> Oh really!? Ever play two handed?
>>>
>> Of course. Isn't that the norm? You only play three- or four-handed when
>> you don't have enough cards or cribbage boards to have two games going.
>>
>> Do you play cutthroat?
>>
>> --Kimberly
>
> Its been a long time...
>
> (for a lot of things)

One of my earliest memories takes place around 1963-4
when the elders would play cribbage and I was mesmerized
by the calling of the count:

"15-2, 15-4, and the rest don't score."
"15-2, 15-4, two is 6, 3 is nine, and three is 12" (6,7,7,8)

I come from a family of serious card players.
Once, my Dad reached across the table and cuffed
me for playing a jack and drawing out his ace while
playing pinochle.

--
Sanford M. Manley
"People sleep peacably in their beds at night

Kimberly

Jan 21, 2006, 1:50:25 AM1/21/06
Giggles Like a Girl wrote:
> kap...@earthlink.net in <bakAf.1215$Dk...@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Giggles Like a Girl wrote:
>>
>>>manl...@bellsouth.net in <WajAf.7852$TK2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>

>>>We should make sure we bring lots of decks of cards.
>>>
>>>And NO books.
>>>

>>Can we bring a cribbage board? I play a mean game of cribbage.
>

> Heh, you haven't played ME yet!
>
> (that would be a big YAY on the cribbage board)

I'll have you know, sir, that I learned to play cribbage from my
grandfather, who was a Canuckistani like yourself, when I was so young
my hands were too small to shuffle the cards. I RULE at cribbage.

--Kimberly (who's been known to steal a crib a time or two)

Sanford Manley

Jan 21, 2006, 1:51:44 AM1/21/06

Of course, I play a fairly superior game of chess,
reaching into the expert level when I am properly
prepared. I like fishing in troubled waters.

Kimberly

Jan 21, 2006, 1:54:24 AM1/21/06
Ah, so you learned as a preschooler, the way I did. I double-skunked my
great-uncle Al when I was 5. Once. You better believe he never let
*that* happen again.

Sanford Manley

Jan 21, 2006, 1:56:56 AM1/21/06

My specialty used to be going for a "nil" bid in pinochle.
It can be accomplished often when you are careful
and allows me to beat my computer constantly.

Kimberly

Jan 21, 2006, 1:56:53 AM1/21/06
Oh, I'm pathetic at chess. Okay at other card games. Have fun with a few
dice games (ship, captain and crew, anyone?). But I rule at the cribbage
board.

Kimberly

Jan 21, 2006, 2:01:22 AM1/21/06
I never learned to play pinochle. I just remember having to dig through
the pinochle decks at my great uncle Eddie's mountain cabin trying to
find a regular deck so we could play cribbage. What's up with all those
aces, anyway?

--Kimberly

Kirsten Bayes

Jan 21, 2006, 4:30:11 AM1/21/06
Kimberly wrote:

>> But so far the way these guys are talking about the breeding
>> and breading programs, none of our females are likely to
>> actually volunteer to stay anyway...
>

> Hmm, you noticed that last bit, did you?
>
> --Kimberly

Well, Mars sounds like fun! What's the shopping like?

Oooh thinking about it we could breed a generation of Space Marines and
stuff. And they could, like, worship us as goddesses.

Best wishes
Kirsten
--
http://www.bayes.org.uk

Dave K

Jan 21, 2006, 9:03:11 AM1/21/06

Daryl wrote:
> NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan
> to send a manned mission to Mars. There are two
> components of the mission:
>
> 1. A group will go to Mars and come back.
>
> 2. A group will go to Mars and stay there.
>
> Accomodations on Mars will be two-star. The mission
> calls for a loosely tight-knit social group because
> of the close proximity and daily contact the members
> will have, so absfg is the first choice for recruiting
> efforts.
>
> Would you:
>
> 1. Want to go and come back.
>
> 2. Want to go and stay.
>
> 3. Not want to go at all.
>
> 4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.
>
> (Pick only 1 or more answers.)
>

> --
> Daryl

When they need an elite selection of healthy, virile young men to get
the gene pool off to a good start by impregnating the selection healthy
young women, I'll do my part - for science.

Evelyn Ruut

Jan 21, 2006, 9:48:12 AM1/21/06

> NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan
> to send a manned mission to Mars. There are two
> components of the mission:
>
> 1. A group will go to Mars and come back.
>
> 2. A group will go to Mars and stay there.
>
> Accomodations on Mars will be two-star. The mission
> calls for a loosely tight-knit social group because
> of the close proximity and daily contact the members
> will have, so absfg is the first choice for recruiting
> efforts.
>
> Would you:
>
> 1. Want to go and come back.
>
> 2. Want to go and stay.
>
> 3. Not want to go at all.
>
> 4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.
>
> (Pick only 1 or more answers.)
>

> --
> Daryl

Hmmmm. No way would I even consider it.
I hate flying and airports and packing and all that stuff.
Going to Mars would have to be even worse.

:-)

--

Best Regards,

Evelyn
(to reply to me personally, remove 'sox')

Wilson

Jan 21, 2006, 10:26:44 AM1/21/06

"Giggles Like a Girl" <abs...@static-b2-190.highspeed.eol> wrote ...

> puddinhe...@att.not in <ZbcAf.278872$qk4....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.
> worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>

>>"Daryl" <nos...@phoney.address> wrote ...

>>> NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan
>>> to send a manned mission to Mars. There are two
>>> components of the mission:
>>>
>>> 1. A group will go to Mars and come back.
>>>
>>> 2. A group will go to Mars and stay there.
>>>
>>> Accomodations on Mars will be two-star. The mission
>>> calls for a loosely tight-knit social group because
>>> of the close proximity and daily contact the members
>>> will have, so absfg is the first choice for recruiting
>>> efforts.
>>>
>>> Would you:
>>>
>>> 1. Want to go and come back.
>>>
>>> 2. Want to go and stay.
>>>
>>> 3. Not want to go at all.
>>>
>>> 4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.
>>>
>>> (Pick only 1 or more answers.)
>>

>>Definitely #1. I'd miss all of the life and animals and stuff here,
>>just living with people on a more or less sterile world.
>
> Hey, Ben's bringing LB and their cats, and I'm sure we
> can plant a forest or something.

Not the same thing. Definitely want to come back.

ShelShokT

Jan 21, 2006, 11:43:10 AM1/21/06

"Daryl" <nos...@phoney.address> wrote in message

> NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan
> to send a manned mission to Mars. There are two
> components of the mission:
>
> 1. A group will go to Mars and come back.
>
> 2. A group will go to Mars and stay there.
>
> Accomodations on Mars will be two-star. The mission
> calls for a loosely tight-knit social group because
> of the close proximity and daily contact the members
> will have, so absfg is the first choice for recruiting
> efforts.
>
> Would you:
>
> 1. Want to go and come back.
>
> 2. Want to go and stay.
>
> 3. Not want to go at all.
>
> 4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.

I want more choices.
--
Wally, MFWIC of the Guild

"C'mon, baby, give me a kiss that'll last all week..."
- John Prine

ShelShokT

Jan 21, 2006, 11:52:20 AM1/21/06

"Kirsten Bayes" <kir...@removplz.bayes.org.uk> wrote in message

Some of us already do. (Making an obvious pitch to run the breeding program)

Keynes

Jan 21, 2006, 12:11:36 PM1/21/06
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:50:31 -0600, nos...@phoney.address (Daryl) wrote:

>NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan
>to send a manned mission to Mars. There are two
>components of the mission:
>
>1. A group will go to Mars and come back.
>
>2. A group will go to Mars and stay there.
>
>Accomodations on Mars will be two-star. The mission
>calls for a loosely tight-knit social group because
>of the close proximity and daily contact the members
>will have, so absfg is the first choice for recruiting
>efforts.
>
>Would you:
>
>1. Want to go and come back.
>
>2. Want to go and stay.
>
>3. Not want to go at all.
>
>4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.
>

>(Pick only 1 or more answers.)

I think we ought to go to mars and build roads,
cities, parks, and hospitals. Might as well do it
there, cuz nobody wants to do it here anymore.

Daryl

Jan 21, 2006, 1:36:13 PM1/21/06
In article <2nq4t1tmm97bih5g7...@4ax.com>,
Key...@earthlinkspam.net says...

Okay, that counts as a #2.

--
Daryl

Daryl

Jan 21, 2006, 1:42:30 PM1/21/06
In article <8FtAf.25081$tK4....@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>, shel...@yahoo.com
says...

>"Kirsten Bayes" <kir...@removplz.bayes.org.uk> wrote in message

>>> Hmm, you noticed that last bit, did you?
>>>
>>> --Kimberly
>>>

>> Well, Mars sounds like fun! What's the shopping like?
>>
>> Oooh thinking about it we could breed a generation of Space Marines and
>> stuff. And they could, like, worship us as goddesses.
>
>Some of us already do. (Making an obvious pitch to run the breeding program)

Bzzt, you don't have a say, Mr. Wants More Choices.

That said, I am totally ready to do the goddess worship
thing, with whatever goddesses we ("we" not including
those who wanted more choices) have available.

--
Daryl

Daryl

Jan 21, 2006, 1:52:23 PM1/21/06
In article <qPkAf.8693$TK2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>, manl...@bellsouth.net
says...

I loathe chess. Too much thinking.

--
Daryl

Daryl

Jan 21, 2006, 1:54:27 PM1/21/06
In article <RQkAf.1229$Dk....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
kap...@earthlink.net says...

>Giggles Like a Girl wrote:
>> kap...@earthlink.net in <bakAf.1215$Dk...@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>
>> wrote:

>>>Can we bring a cribbage board? I play a mean game of cribbage.
>>

>> Heh, you haven't played ME yet!
>>
>> (that would be a big YAY on the cribbage board)
>
>I'll have you know, sir, that I learned to play cribbage from my
>grandfather, who was a Canuckistani like yourself, when I was so young
>my hands were too small to shuffle the cards. I RULE at cribbage.
>
>--Kimberly (who's been known to steal a crib a time or two)

Then we are going to have a wonderful time on Mars. I play
full contact cribbage too.

--
Daryl

Daryl

Jan 21, 2006, 1:57:42 PM1/21/06
dkots...@yahoo.com says...

Have you picked a number yet?

If not, we'll take your sperm along on ice.

--
Daryl

Daryl

Jan 21, 2006, 1:59:11 PM1/21/06
In article <UosAf.515405$zb5.2...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
puddinhe...@att.not says...

Well oh-kay. Maybe you could visit in the summers or
something, too.

--
Daryl

Daryl

Jan 21, 2006, 2:00:34 PM1/21/06
In article <EBkAf.1227$Dk....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, kap...@earthlink.net
says...

>Sanford Manley wrote:
>> Kimberly said:

>>>Can we bring a cribbage board? I play a mean game of cribbage.
>>>
>>>--Kimberly
>>

>> Oh really!? Ever play two handed?
>>
>Of course. Isn't that the norm? You only play three- or four-handed when
>you don't have enough cards or cribbage boards to have two games going.
>
>Do you play cutthroat?

Is that the same as "muggins"?

If so, no. Too much thinking.

--
Daryl

Luke Clossey

Jan 21, 2006, 2:03:45 PM1/21/06
In article <OejAf.7886$TK2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>,
Sanford Manley <manl...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Luke Clossey said:
>

>> Or maybe I read to closely the Sanford-recommended _The Sparrow_ novel,
>> great fun about first contact with the Alpha Centaurians, which goes
>> horribly horribly wrong.
>
>I was wondering if you got through that.
>Did it shock and dismay you the way
>it did me? I have rarely cried reading a book.

It sounds like I wasn't shocked and dismayed the way you were. What
caused your shock and dismay? For me the most powerful part was the
Jesuit linguist having all his languages spill together in his mind, so
during rehabilitation he would say a sentence, and then ask, Was that in
English? All of it? Great expression of cognitive breakdown.

I thought the first contact stuff went about as well as could be
expected. I cringed when they taught the people they were with to
garden, could see what was coming. :)

Normally I can't stand flashbacks (almost as bad as dream sequences) but
really enjoyed this despite the way it was told.

>There is also a good sequel.

Cool deal. I'm looking for a pageturner for my next plane trip.

Luke

Luke Clossey

Jan 21, 2006, 2:05:18 PM1/21/06
In article <MQrAf.4158$cj3....@news-wrt-01.rdc-nyc.rr.com>,

Finally a voice of reason! I have this vision of the inflight movie
being Monster-In-Law (with J-Lo and J-Fo) over and over again.

Luke

Luke Clossey

Jan 21, 2006, 2:14:41 PM1/21/06
In article <7916f$43d1c26a$4038ecbe$15...@PRIMUS.CA>,
Giggles Like a Girl <abs...@static-b2-190.highspeed.eol> wrote:
>lclo...@sfu.ca in <dqrv5r$343$1...@morgoth.sfu.ca> wrote:
>>
>>In article <z_GdnXy2nOB6v0ze...@magma.ca>,

>>Daryl <nos...@phoney.address> wrote:
>>>NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan
>>>to send a manned mission to Mars. There are two
>>>components of the mission:
>>>
>>>1. A group will go to Mars and come back.
>>>
>>>2. A group will go to Mars and stay there.
>>>
>>>Accomodations on Mars will be two-star. The mission
>>>calls for a loosely tight-knit social group because
>>>of the close proximity and daily contact the members
>>>will have, so absfg is the first choice for recruiting
>>>efforts.
>>>
>>>Would you:
>>>
>>>1. Want to go and come back.
>>>
>>>2. Want to go and stay.
>>>
>>>3. Not want to go at all.
>>>
>>>4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.
>>>
>>>(Pick only 1 or more answers.)
>>
>>I'd surely miss y'all (or never notice your absence if you can usenet in
>>space), but definitely #3 for me. I'd be delighted to go on a trip to
>>anywhere on this planet (well, 98.11173 % of it), but gobsmacked why
>>anyone would want to go to Mars.
>>
>>Is it the fertile nyphos that are drawing y'all but making me happy to
>>hold down the fort here?

>>Or maybe I read to closely the Sanford-recommended _The Sparrow_ novel,
>>great fun about first contact with the Alpha Centaurians, which goes
>>horribly horribly wrong.
>
>Well, the alpo-centurians are more likey to come to Earth
>first anyway, because it's bigger and our colony will be
>so small they'll never even notice it.
>
>The main attraction of Mars so far seems to be it's Mars
>with *us* on it, and it's not Earth, which at this point
>looks fairly focked.

Wow, absfgers would be the most normal people on a planet, eh, that's
got to upset the cosmic equilibrium.

Bon voyage!
Luke

Kimberly

Jan 21, 2006, 2:22:07 PM1/21/06
In cutthroat cribbage, if your opponent fails to count any of his points
in his hand or crib, you can peg them. You can also steal his crib if
he's not paying attention.

No idea what muggins is...

Sanford Manley

Jan 21, 2006, 2:22:58 PM1/21/06
Luke Clossey said:
> In article <OejAf.7886$TK2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>,
> Sanford Manley <manl...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Luke Clossey said:
>>

>>> Or maybe I read to closely the Sanford-recommended _The Sparrow_ novel,
>>> great fun about first contact with the Alpha Centaurians, which goes
>>> horribly horribly wrong.
>>
>> I was wondering if you got through that.
>> Did it shock and dismay you the way
>> it did me? I have rarely cried reading a book.
>
> It sounds like I wasn't shocked and dismayed the way you were. What
> caused your shock and dismay? For me the most powerful part was the
> Jesuit linguist having all his languages spill together in his mind, so
> during rehabilitation he would say a sentence, and then ask, Was that in
> English? All of it? Great expression of cognitive breakdown.

It was the overwhelming pain and suffering he
experienced and the shame he felt as well as the
unrelenting pressure both external and internal.

--
Sanford M. Manley
No pleasure philosophy, no sensuality,

Wilson

Jan 21, 2006, 2:23:37 PM1/21/06

"Daryl" <nos...@phoney.address> wrote ...

Oh hey, if we get to *build* things I might want to stay. I
had this vision of people just sitting around doing
experiments and stuff, watching the sand blow back and
forth across the landscape.

Luke Clossey

Jan 21, 2006, 2:25:02 PM1/21/06
In article <JPvAf.5085$C%3.3...@bignews2.bellsouth.net>,

Sanford Manley <manl...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Luke Clossey said:
>> In article <OejAf.7886$TK2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>,
>> Sanford Manley <manl...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>>> I was wondering if you got through that.
>>> Did it shock and dismay you the way
>>> it did me? I have rarely cried reading a book.
>>
>> It sounds like I wasn't shocked and dismayed the way you were. What
>> caused your shock and dismay? For me the most powerful part was the
>> Jesuit linguist having all his languages spill together in his mind, so
>> during rehabilitation he would say a sentence, and then ask, Was that in
>> English? All of it? Great expression of cognitive breakdown.
>
>It was the overwhelming pain and suffering he
>experienced and the shame he felt as well as the
>unrelenting pressure both external and internal.

Oh, _that_! Yes, that was pretty shocking and dismaying!

Luke

Kimberly

Jan 21, 2006, 2:26:04 PM1/21/06
OK, fine, count me in, at least for the visit part. I might be up for
the go and stay option, if we could pop back to earth every now and then
to visit. I'd hate to not see my nieces again.

Dave K

Jan 21, 2006, 3:01:46 PM1/21/06

Oh, sorry... That would be 2.

"Tis better to screw on mars than to squeeka on earth." - Dave K

William Hursthouse

Jan 21, 2006, 3:20:35 PM1/21/06
wrote:

>NASA and ESA have been secretly cooperating on a plan
>to send a manned mission to Mars. There are two
>components of the mission:
>
>1. A group will go to Mars and come back.
>
>2. A group will go to Mars and stay there.
>
>Accomodations on Mars will be two-star. The mission
>calls for a loosely tight-knit social group because
>of the close proximity and daily contact the members
>will have, so absfg is the first choice for recruiting
>efforts.
>
>Would you:
>
>1. Want to go and come back.
>
>2. Want to go and stay.
>
>3. Not want to go at all.
>
>4. Only go if __________ isn't coming.
>
>(Pick only 1 or more answers.)

This was the sort of mission I thought a lot about in my youth, whilst
reading a lot of sci - fi.
I would have chosen 2 in a flash. A bit later it would have been 2
and also 1, because I find it hard to believe the wish to go back to
earth would never arise.
But now I am a bit older and, furthermore, interested in vaious family
members who I have become accustomed to ... so I might not be so
willing to leave them all behind. Unless I could be convinced it
really was for a "higher cause"
Reproducing this species on another planet does not qualify ......so
tell us a bit more about why we are going?

wm

Pete Watters

Jan 21, 2006, 3:37:16 PM1/21/06
Kimberly writes:

If your opponent fails to count all of his points, you yell "muggins"
and get them for yourself. So, yeah, muggins is the same thing as
cutthroat.

Pete (who's amazed that claiming to be a killer cribbage player would be
a strange attractor to the absfg universe, for he, too, is the
undisputed cribbage master of his household...)

--
"No more serious thinking until someone shows us some cash." -- absfg motto

Keynes

Jan 21, 2006, 3:42:43 PM1/21/06

To escape religious persecution.
Now we can no longer pray in schools or even
burn folks at the stake. Witches and demons are
running wild shielded by the ACLU. God is paddling
the earth with storms and earthquakes because of all
the sinful people running around free as birds. Not even
the CIA, NSA and FBI can save us now. Not even the
whole alphabet can corral all the sinners. The earth has gone
to the devil. But on mars we can live the desert life feasting
on manna, and stone anybody we please.

Daryl

Jan 21, 2006, 4:37:09 PM1/21/06
In article <eldupree-75D0DF...@news.west.cox.net>, eldu...@cox.net
says...

This strikes me as one of those things we should have already
known, and probably did know but forgot because our median
age is getting up there.

--
Daryl

Daryl

Jan 21, 2006, 4:39:34 PM1/21/06
In article <dqu0le$mam$1...@morgoth.sfu.ca>, lclo...@sfu.ca says...

Well if I have any say the in-flight movies will be
"Starship Troopers", "Aliens" and "The Puppetmasters".

--
Daryl

Daryl

Jan 21, 2006, 4:52:57 PM1/21/06
In article <ZSvAf.516564$zb5....@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
puddinhe...@att.not says...

Wilson's in for the long haul everyone!

(I wanna build a temple. Sanford may be busy
building bunkers. Maybe you could build the spa?)

--
Daryl

Daryl

Jan 21, 2006, 4:54:16 PM1/21/06
In article <gVvAf.1365$Dk....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
kap...@earthlink.net says...

Nieces are welcome to come and stay with us.

--
Daryl

It is loading more messages.