Re: RIP Robert Jordan

1 view
Message has been deleted

Raymond Feist

Sep 18, 2007, 11:50:09 AM9/18/07
In article <2007091810062575249-guig@yerawathamecom>,
guig <gu...@yerawathame.com> wrote:

> A sad loss.

I've been chewing on this a bit and have posted some thoughts in other
places, my mailing list and on a couple of writers lists.

Jim Rigney was not a friend, but someone I considered a friendly
acquaintance. Ironically, we met at World Fantasy in '84 in Chicago,
and both of us showed up wearing identical sports jackets, a camel hair
thing we both got at Men's Warehouse. He had just published his first
Conan novel and we working with Sprague de Camp. I had just published
Magician and we both chatted about being "new kids on the block."

I ran into Jim and his wife Harriet on several occasions over the years
and dined with them a couple of times and had drinks with them a couple
more. Robert Jordan was often seen as overbearing or bombastic,
opinionated and filled with his own sense of self-importance. I was on a
couple of panels with him and found Robert Jordan to be all those things
and more. Jim Rigney wasn't really Robert Jordan. That was his act.

Jim Rigney was charming and funny and a really lovely dinner companion.
He loved history and was a remarkably well read man, far more widely
than I am. He was three years my junior and far too young to leave us.
More than a good storyteller, he was a good man.

Best, R.E.F.

--
Never attribute to malice what can
satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.

Message has been deleted

Bajori

Sep 19, 2007, 1:18:02 PM9/19/07

"guig" <gu...@yerawathame.com> wrote in message
> On 2007-09-18 16:50:09 +0100, Raymond Feist <ray...@nospam.bittersea.com>
> I don't travel in the circles that would get to meet authors face to face
> (although I did meet Bob Shaw once and promptly fell out with him as he
> was being an arse and he lost me as a reader forever) so I'll take your
> opinion of the man rather than the author, but I will miss his wonderful
> stories .... it'll be a shame if the WoT is never finished but that may be
> better than someone else finishing it from "notes" ....

Don't worry about the WoT never being finished. There will be some greedy
bloodsucker in the estate that will sell the rights to someone with marginal
talent (John Betancourt, anyone?), to put their own stamp on the series.

Raymond Feist

Sep 19, 2007, 1:47:53 PM9/19/07
In article <dRcIi.486466$Bo7.3...@fe07.news.easynews.com>,
"Bajori" <bajor...@cbj.com> wrote:

Don't jump to conclusions. The last book is written. It just needs to
be edited and put into production. The slow down is that Jim's wife
Harriet is his editor; that's how they met. Once she's over this, I'm
sure she'll make sure it gets published the way Jim would have wanted.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted