Re: SirPt's success in perspective

Message has been deleted

Sabremeister Brian

Feb 2, 2010, 6:23:37 PM2/2/10
In a speech called pp7hm511gj5sk7n55...@4ax.com,
A.Reader <anony...@example.com> said:
> I sometimes think we don't quite grasp just how successful and
> prolific an author our SirPt is, especially considering how
> little respect the genre got until recently. So here's a wee
> bittie comparison:
>
> On the 18th January, Robert B. Parker, the USAian author of the
> hugely popular "Spenser" novels died, saddeningly, of a totally
> unexpected heart attack at age 77.
>
> He wrote 68 books over 39 years which were translated into 24
> languages and sold (AP allegedly quoting his agent) either 4M or
> 6M copies worldwide (I think I saw 20M elsewhere, but in any
> event not really a large number, though more than enough to make
> him a multi-millionaire and get him the reputation of a very
> prolific author).
>
> Compare that to our SirPt: 65M copies, 33 languages and still
> going strong.
>
> How very lucky we are indeed.

What are the same statistics for Tolkien? And Stephen King?

--
www.sabremeister.me.uk
www.livejournal.com/users/sabremeister/

Message has been deleted

Rocky Frisco

Feb 2, 2010, 7:21:45 PM2/2/10
A.Reader wrote:
> I sometimes think we don't quite grasp just how successful and
> prolific an author our SirPt is, especially considering how
> little respect the genre got until recently. So here's a wee
> bittie comparison:
>
> On the 18th January, Robert B. Parker, the USAian author of the
> hugely popular "Spenser" novels died, saddeningly, of a totally
> unexpected heart attack at age 77.
>
> He wrote 68 books over 39 years which were translated into 24
> languages and sold (AP allegedly quoting his agent) either 4M or
> 6M copies worldwide (I think I saw 20M elsewhere, but in any
> event not really a large number, though more than enough to make
> him a multi-millionaire and get him the reputation of a very
> prolific author).
>
> Compare that to our SirPt: 65M copies, 33 languages and still
> going strong.
>
> How very lucky we are indeed.

We almost deserve it. TP readers are superior.

-Rocky Frisco
--
Government is Crime because humans are corrupt.

Rocky Frisco

Feb 2, 2010, 7:25:17 PM2/2/10
A.Reader wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 23:23:37 -0000,
> "Sabremeister Brian" <bpwak...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In a speech called pp7hm511gj5sk7n55...@4ax.com,
>> A.Reader <anony...@example.com> said:
>>> I sometimes think we don't quite grasp just how successful and
>>> prolific an author our SirPt is, especially considering how
>>> little respect the genre got until recently. So here's a wee
>>> bittie comparison:
>>>
>>> On the 18th January, Robert B. Parker, the USAian author of the
>>> hugely popular "Spenser" novels died, saddeningly, of a totally
>>> unexpected heart attack at age 77.
>>>
>>> He wrote 68 books over 39 years which were translated into 24
>>> languages and sold (AP allegedly quoting his agent) either 4M or
>>> 6M copies worldwide (I think I saw 20M elsewhere, but in any
>>> event not really a large number, though more than enough to make
>>> him a multi-millionaire and get him the reputation of a very
>>> prolific author).
>>>
>>> Compare that to our SirPt: 65M copies, 33 languages and still
>>> going strong.
>>>
>>> How very lucky we are indeed.
>> What are the same statistics for Tolkien? And Stephen King?
>
> Tolkien allegedly --it's hard to find real numbers-- has laid
> everyone in the shade with more than 250M books in Goddess knows
> how many languages over 70 years' time.
>
> Stephen King is in a different category (horror fantasy, not
> humor or anything more posh like satire), though, so would his
> stats be relevant?

Dunno. The Dollars/Pounds might have been.

OG

Feb 2, 2010, 7:31:31 PM2/2/10

"Rocky Frisco" <webm...@liberty-in-our-time.com> wrote in message

But reading TP makes us humble about it

John Wilkins

Feb 2, 2010, 8:42:54 PM2/2/10
In article <7sruf5...@mid.individual.net>, OG
<ow...@gwynnefamily.org.uk> wrote:

Unless one is an ape.

Reader in Invisible Writings

Feb 3, 2010, 2:10:43 AM2/3/10
Oook! - I for one am always an ape.

As in animal - mammal - primate - ape - human

John Wilkins

Feb 3, 2010, 5:35:19 AM2/3/10
In article <hkb7ho$poh$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Reader in
Invisible Writings <markfo...@aim.com> wrote:

Ergo...

Lesley Weston

Feb 3, 2010, 12:04:35 PM2/3/10
Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble...

--
Lesley Weston

The addy above is real, but I won't see anything posted to it for a long
time. To reach me, use leswes att shaw dott ca, adjusting as necessary.

Daniel Orner

Feb 3, 2010, 1:02:21 PM2/3/10
A.Reader wrote:
> I sometimes think we don't quite grasp just how successful and
> prolific an author our SirPt is, especially considering how
> little respect the genre got until recently. So here's a wee
> bittie comparison:
>
> On the 18th January, Robert B. Parker, the USAian author of the
> hugely popular "Spenser" novels died, saddeningly, of a totally
> unexpected heart attack at age 77.
>
> He wrote 68 books over 39 years which were translated into 24
> languages and sold (AP allegedly quoting his agent) either 4M or
> 6M copies worldwide (I think I saw 20M elsewhere, but in any
> event not really a large number, though more than enough to make
> him a multi-millionaire and get him the reputation of a very
> prolific author).
>
> Compare that to our SirPt: 65M copies, 33 languages and still
> going strong.
>
> How very lucky we are indeed.

Funny... never heard of him or his books.

--
http://roleplayingjew.blogspot.com/ - An Orthodox Jew who plays Japanese
role-playing games? Strange but true!

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 3, 2010, 1:18:01 PM2/3/10
On Feb 3, 1:02 pm, Daniel Orner <dmor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A.Reader wrote:
> > I sometimes think we don't quite grasp just how successful and
> > prolific an author our SirPt is, especially considering how
> > little respect the genre got until recently.  So here's a wee
> > bittie comparison:
>
> > On the 18th January, Robert B. Parker, the USAian author of the
> > hugely popular "Spenser" novels died, saddeningly, of a totally
> > unexpected heart attack at age 77.
>
> > He wrote 68 books over 39 years which were translated into 24
> > languages and sold (AP allegedly quoting his agent) either 4M or
> > 6M copies worldwide (I think I saw 20M elsewhere, but in any
> > event not really a large number, though more than enough to make
> > him a multi-millionaire and get him the reputation of a very
> > prolific author).
>
> > Compare that to our SirPt:  65M copies, 33 languages and still
> > going strong.
>
> > How very lucky we are indeed.
>
>         Funny... never heard of him or his books.

They're good. His main hero, Spenser, is a soft-boiled, hard-boiled
private detective. That is, he solves mysteries and beats people up,
but he also thinks hard about the meaning of life, cooks like a
natural
gourmet, and has a romantic relationship of some years' standing.

He's got a couple of other series, but Spenser is his oldest and
longest.

It's worth mentioning that Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" series
reminds
me of a cross between Parker and Pratchett.

Cindy Hamilton

Reader in Invisible Writings

Feb 3, 2010, 3:46:04 PM2/3/10
A.Reader wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 23:23:37 -0000,
> "Sabremeister Brian" <bpwak...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In a speech called pp7hm511gj5sk7n55...@4ax.com,
>> A.Reader <anony...@example.com> said:
>>> I sometimes think we don't quite grasp just how successful and
>>> prolific an author our SirPt is, especially considering how
>>> little respect the genre got until recently. So here's a wee
>>> bittie comparison:
>>>
>>> On the 18th January, Robert B. Parker, the USAian author of the
>>> hugely popular "Spenser" novels died, saddeningly, of a totally
>>> unexpected heart attack at age 77.
>>>
>>> He wrote 68 books over 39 years which were translated into 24
>>> languages and sold (AP allegedly quoting his agent) either 4M or
>>> 6M copies worldwide (I think I saw 20M elsewhere, but in any
>>> event not really a large number, though more than enough to make
>>> him a multi-millionaire and get him the reputation of a very
>>> prolific author).
>>>
>>> Compare that to our SirPt: 65M copies, 33 languages and still
>>> going strong.
>>>
>>> How very lucky we are indeed.
>> What are the same statistics for Tolkien? And Stephen King?
>
> Tolkien allegedly --it's hard to find real numbers-- has laid
> everyone in the shade with more than 250M books in Goddess knows
> how many languages over 70 years' time.
>
> Stephen King is in a different category (horror fantasy, not
> humor or anything more posh like satire), though, so would his
> stats be relevant?
Some DVD and Book shops have a category of Horror / Si-fi / Fantasy so
is Stephen King in a different category?

--
Reader in Invisible Writings.. Something to Ponder upon!

Reader in Invisible Writings

Feb 3, 2010, 4:06:32 PM2/3/10

The thread was alternating
We are very lucky - We almost deserve it
TP readers are Superior - But reading TP makes us humble
You then said - unless one is an ape.
Two things struk me - one I did not quite see where it fitted in and
second - all TP readers are apes* (in fact great apes), in the same way
that we are all primates, mammals and indeed animals.

Ergo we are all apes so it does not move the alternation onwards!

*Non Darwinians may disagree but we fit the specification laid down.

John Wilkins

Feb 3, 2010, 5:56:30 PM2/3/10
In article <hkcogs$12os$1...@mud.stack.nl>, Reader in Invisible Writings
<markfo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I hate it when you have to completed the syllogism for the students.

"Ergo, we are not moved to be humble (from 1-3)"

> *Non Darwinians may disagree but we fit the specification laid down.

As Linnaeus noted when he named the genus Homo.

Geoff Field

Feb 4, 2010, 6:52:41 AM2/4/10
Lesley Weston wrote:
> OG wrote:
>> "Rocky Frisco" <webm...@liberty-in-our-time.com> wrote in message
>>> A.Reader wrote:
[snip]

>>> We almost deserve it. TP readers are superior.
>>>

>> But reading TP makes us humble about it
>>

> Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble...

...When you're perfect in every way...

--
Geoff Field
Professional Geek,

GaryN

Feb 4, 2010, 11:31:23 AM2/4/10
Cindy Hamilton <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:9ec8e272-9880-
4b4c-b945-a...@q30g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

<snip>

> They're good. His main hero, Spenser, is a soft-boiled, hard-boiled
> private detective. That is, he solves mysteries and beats people up,
> but he also thinks hard about the meaning of life, cooks like a
> natural
> gourmet, and has a romantic relationship of some years' standing.
>
> He's got a couple of other series, but Spenser is his oldest and
> longest.

<snip>

Are you sure you're not thinking of Clive Cussler's hero Dirk Pitt?

gary

--
If your religion is incompatible with free speech, the problem isn�t with
free speech.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 4, 2010, 12:58:08 PM2/4/10
On Feb 4, 11:31 am, GaryN <g...@scaryriders.com> wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:9ec8e272-9880-
> 4b4c-b945-a2cdc3bb8...@q30g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

> <snip>> They're good.  His main hero, Spenser, is a soft-boiled, hard-boiled
> > private detective.  That is, he solves mysteries and beats people up,
> > but he also thinks hard about the meaning of life, cooks like a
> > natural
> > gourmet, and has a romantic relationship of some years' standing.
>
> > He's got a couple of other series, but Spenser is his oldest and
> > longest.
>
> <snip>
>
> Are you sure you're not thinking of Clive Cussler's hero Dirk Pitt?

Positive. Spenser is a private eye, whereas Dirk Pitt is... what?
Special Projects Director for NUMA? Much more like James Bond, in
any event. (I stopped reading Cussler when Dirk Pitt's kids got in
on the adventures.)

Cindy Hamilton

Gary R. Schmidt

Feb 5, 2010, 6:09:53 AM2/5/10
GaryN wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:9ec8e272-9880-
> 4b4c-b945-a...@q30g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:
>
> <snip>
>> They're good. His main hero, Spenser, is a soft-boiled, hard-boiled
>> private detective. That is, he solves mysteries and beats people up,
>> but he also thinks hard about the meaning of life, cooks like a
>> natural
>> gourmet, and has a romantic relationship of some years' standing.
>>
>> He's got a couple of other series, but Spenser is his oldest and
>> longest.
> <snip>
>
> Are you sure you're not thinking of Clive Cussler's hero Dirk Pitt?

No, she means Spenser. There was even a telly series, "Spenser For
Hire" <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088612/> starring Robert Urich,
which was quite good, going from vague memory.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Julian Hall

Feb 5, 2010, 9:36:51 AM2/5/10
Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

> No, she means Spenser. There was even a telly series, "Spenser For
> Hire" <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088612/> starring Robert Urich,
> which was quite good, going from vague memory.
>
> Cheers,
> Gary B-)

Oh *that* was the Spenser you mean... IIRC it also starred Avery Brooks
as Hawk before his later blast into Star Trek fandom as Benjamin Sisko.

Yes it was a good series.

Kind regards,

Julian