New release of Tregarde series?

charles krin

Aug 25, 2005, 6:19:35 PM8/25/05
I happened on a new issue of 'Burning Water' at of all places, WalMart
the other day...looks like Misty is selling well enough to justify TOR
in doing a 6th printing of one of my favorites.

ck
--
doc krin, Licensed Pedantrician
Worst Tuba in the ABM-L out of practice musicians' band

Kat Hein

Aug 25, 2005, 7:47:27 PM8/25/05
charles krin wrote:
> I happened on a new issue of 'Burning Water' at of all places, WalMart
> the other day...looks like Misty is selling well enough to justify TOR
> in doing a 6th printing of one of my favorites.
>
> ck

They started re-releasing these a couple months ago, with spiffy new
covers to entice the Buffy crowd, now that the nut-jobs have gone away.

She has said, if they sell, there may be a new one ;-)

Rosanne

Aug 25, 2005, 8:29:21 PM8/25/05
Kat Hein wrote:

> They started re-releasing these a couple months ago, with spiffy new
> covers to entice the Buffy crowd, now that the nut-jobs have gone away.
>
> She has said, if they sell, there may be a new one ;-)

I knew of the "nut-jobs" in a VERY general way, from Misty's written
statements in various public places. They've gone away? My curiosity
knot is tingling.

Very cool. I really liked that series.

--
~ Rosanne
Don’t save my sneakemail address – when it gets spammed, it gets changed.

jamhp...@comcast.net

Aug 25, 2005, 9:17:28 PM8/25/05
"Rosanne" <08nx...@sneakemail.k0m> wrote in message

> Kat Hein wrote:
>

> > They started re-releasing these a couple months ago, with spiffy new
> > covers to entice the Buffy crowd, now that the nut-jobs have gone away.
> >
> > She has said, if they sell, there may be a new one ;-)
> >

> I knew of the "nut-jobs" in a VERY general way, from Misty's written
> statements in various public places. They've gone away? My curiosity
> knot is tingling.
>
> Very cool. I really liked that series.

Both Laurie and I were (I'm almost ashamed to say) a little surprised at how
MUCH we both enjoyed Burning Water. I _think_ it's the only Tregarde we
have, and since we enjoy all of Misty's OTHER work so much to be surprised
at how much of a good read this is.....

I really how TOR _does_ do a reissue of all of the Diana stories. <sigh> I
guess I'll just have to build another / larger bookcase.

--

http://homepage.mac.com/whump/ujname.html
Known in the Unitarian Jihad as:

Kat Hein

Aug 25, 2005, 9:24:07 PM8/25/05
Rosanne wrote:
> Kat Hein wrote:
>

>>They started re-releasing these a couple months ago, with spiffy new
>>covers to entice the Buffy crowd, now that the nut-jobs have gone away.
>>
>>She has said, if they sell, there may be a new one ;-)
>>

> I knew of the "nut-jobs" in a VERY general way, from Misty's written
> statements in various public places. They've gone away? My curiosity
> knot is tingling.
>
> Very cool. I really liked that series.

Apparently, the main nut-job got hauled away to jail at some point for
charges related to child pornography. And I guess his followers kinda
dropped off after that. ;-)

jajd_54

Aug 25, 2005, 10:03:20 PM8/25/05
I understood why she stopped writing the series but I gotta
say it really ticked me off no end at the time.

Certainly hope there are new ones in the offing. The ones
here have been waiting a lonnnnggg time for that to happen =)

jajd

Paige

Aug 31, 2005, 6:30:07 PM8/31/05
The "Buffy crowd"??? I suppose that would include me, although I've been
reading Misty for longer than Buffy's been around.... I'm not sure how
much more enticed I can get :-)

TTFN
Paige

William George Ferguson

Aug 31, 2005, 11:43:13 PM8/31/05

Paige <ppwa...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>The "Buffy crowd"??? I suppose that would include me, although I've been
>reading Misty for longer than Buffy's been around.... I'm not sure how
>much more enticed I can get :-)
>
>TTFN
>Paige

Of course if they entice the 'Buffy crowd', there'll be a lot of Buffistas
reading Jinx High for the first time and complaining about it ripping off
the Buffy episode "The Witch" (my first usenet post about Buffy was to
abml about a certain rather obvious plot resemplance there).
--
I have a theory, it could be bunnies

A Guy Called Tyketto

Sep 1, 2005, 12:31:13 PM9/1/05

Dave Joll

Sep 3, 2005, 6:36:35 PM9/3/05
"William George Ferguson" <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote

> Of course if they entice the 'Buffy crowd', there'll be a lot of Buffistas
> reading Jinx High for the first time and complaining about it ripping off
> the Buffy episode "The Witch" (my first usenet post about Buffy was to
> abml about a certain rather obvious plot resemplance there).

Reminds me of a couple of comments I've seen about the
H2G2 film complaining that Zaphod Beeblebrox was a
caricature of G W Bush... *sigh*

I enjoyed the Tregarde books when I read them (and also
"Sacred Ground", which I think came out around the same
sort of time). I didn't realise they'd gone out of print; I just
thought she wasn't going to write any more of them.

Only ever seen a couple of episodes of Buffy. Am
considering watching it if the local TV ever decides
to re-play it from the start though...

Paige

Sep 20, 2005, 12:26:35 PM9/20/05
William George Ferguson wrote:
<snip>

> Of course if they entice the 'Buffy crowd', there'll be a lot of Buffistas
> reading Jinx High for the first time and complaining about it ripping off
> the Buffy episode "The Witch" (my first usenet post about Buffy was to
> abml about a certain rather obvious plot resemplance there).

It never ceases to amaze me how some people assume that because "this is
the first time I've heard it" it must be new. I remember in high school
(early 1990's) kids talking about "that new group, Meatloaf" and wanting
to throttle them. In books they have no excuse. Check the front cover
people! ;-)

TTFN
Paige

Aaron

Sep 20, 2005, 5:24:53 PM9/20/05

Everything old is new again?

"Hey, look, Paul McCartney was in a group before Wings!"

I had a coworker complain that when Holst wrote The Planets he had
ripped-off John Williams' Star Wars.

--
Point Keeper starting 1-4-2005

I'm glad my Mom named me Aaron,
That's what everybody calls me.

Hemidemisemideity of Anonymous Eponymity
Patron Saint of Hair Color Changing
Currently: Orange. Clairol Jazzing #30, Spiced Cognac
http://www.thecreativestudio.com/dispensary/swatches/jazzing_swatches.html
On very short very bleached hair.
Think of Annie Lennox
http://www.poster.net/lennox-annie/lennox-annie-photo-annie-lennox-6234287.jpg
Holder of a provisional pedant licens/ce
(limited to the area of physical sciens/ce)
Member of ABMLNCSC - Base singer, very base
"Mommy, make daddy stop singing".

I dye my hair so much my driver's license
has a color wheel. Nancy Mura

Kat Hein

Sep 20, 2005, 7:08:10 PM9/20/05
Aaron wrote:
> Paige wrote:
>
>> William George Ferguson wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Of course if they entice the 'Buffy crowd', there'll be a lot of
>>> Buffistas
>>> reading Jinx High for the first time and complaining about it ripping
>>> off
>>> the Buffy episode "The Witch" (my first usenet post about Buffy was to
>>> abml about a certain rather obvious plot resemplance there).
>>

>> It never ceases to amaze me how some people assume that because "this
>> is the first time I've heard it" it must be new. I remember in high
>> school (early 1990's) kids talking about "that new group, Meatloaf"
>> and wanting to throttle them. In books they have no excuse. Check the
>> front cover people! ;-)
>>
>> TTFN
>> Paige
>

> Everything old is new again?
>
> "Hey, look, Paul McCartney was in a group before Wings!"
>
> I had a coworker complain that when Holst wrote The Planets he had
> ripped-off John Williams' Star Wars.

Diane Duane takes a lot of flak for "copying" and/or trying to cash in
on the Harry Potter craze. Never mind that she wrote the first Young
Wizard book back when Jo Rowling was still at school. :-/

Don Bruder

Sep 20, 2005, 7:03:44 PM9/20/05
In article <F6%Xe.8431$T55.7020@trndny06>, Aaron <kem...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Paige wrote:
> > William George Ferguson wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >> Of course if they entice the 'Buffy crowd', there'll be a lot of
> >> Buffistas
> >> reading Jinx High for the first time and complaining about it ripping off
> >> the Buffy episode "The Witch" (my first usenet post about Buffy was to
> >> abml about a certain rather obvious plot resemplance there).
> >

> > It never ceases to amaze me how some people assume that because "this is
> > the first time I've heard it" it must be new. I remember in high school
> > (early 1990's) kids talking about "that new group, Meatloaf" and wanting
> > to throttle them. In books they have no excuse. Check the front cover
> > people! ;-)
> >
> > TTFN
> > Paige
>
> Everything old is new again?
>
> "Hey, look, Paul McCartney was in a group before Wings!"
>
> I had a coworker complain that when Holst wrote The Planets he had
> ripped-off John Williams' Star Wars.

Then there's my all-time favorite from the clueless set - my
just-barely-an-official-teeanager sister coming home from seeing
"Wayne's World" and raving about this great new song she heard in the
soundtrack. She tried (in vain...) to hum a few bars, stumbled over some
lyrics that came out incomprehensible, and finally we both gave up, her
dismissing me as an old fogey, me dismissing her as a young punk, and
went our separate ways.

A couple of days later, she walked in the door from school while I had
Bohemian Rhapsody on the radio cranked to (Spinal Tap reference) "11",
and she comes screaming into the room "That's the song!!! That's the one
I was trying to tell you about from the movie!".

The crushed expression on her face when I started laughing, and
eventually explained that it wasn't new, was, in fact, MUCH older than
she was, and that it'd been considered one of the all-time-classics of
Rock-n-Roll for longer than she had been drawing breath on this planet
was utterly priceless.

--
Don Bruder - dak...@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.

Beldin

Sep 22, 2005, 3:10:42 AM9/22/05
In article
<uD0Ye.589$9E2...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
katen...@yahoo.com says...

> Aaron wrote:
> > Paige wrote:
> >
> >> William George Ferguson wrote:
> >> <snip>

> >> It never ceases to amaze me how some people assume that because "this
> >> is the first time I've heard it" it must be new. I remember in high
> >> school (early 1990's) kids talking about "that new group, Meatloaf"
> >> and wanting to throttle them. In books they have no excuse. Check the
> >> front cover people! ;-)
> >>
> >> TTFN
> >> Paige
> >

> > Everything old is new again?
> >
> > "Hey, look, Paul McCartney was in a group before Wings!"

She's gotta ticket to ride ....

Now why did that one ( of all the others ) jump into my
head then ? Especially as I much preferred the Sgt Pepper
/ Abbey Road period.

> > I had a coworker complain that when Holst wrote The Planets he had
> > ripped-off John Williams' Star Wars.

Hey! Tomita got there first !

> Diane Duane takes a lot of flak for "copying" and/or trying to cash in
> on the Harry Potter craze. Never mind that she wrote the first Young
> Wizard book back when Jo Rowling was still at school. :-/

Actually, I do not think the two series have anything in
common, other than teenage children. Even the magic is a
different style.

--

I quaff my ale and fight dirty!
Beldin Disciple of Aldur

( Barry Ruck. Harlow, Essex. )

Kat Hein

Sep 22, 2005, 3:08:43 PM9/22/05
Beldin wrote:

<snip>

>>Diane Duane takes a lot of flak for "copying" and/or trying to cash in
>>on the Harry Potter craze. Never mind that she wrote the first Young
>>Wizard book back when Jo Rowling was still at school. :-/
>>

> Actually, I do not think the two series have anything in
> common, other than teenage children. Even the magic is a
> different style.

You're right, but children learning to be Wizards, and critics and
reviewers think they're the same. ;-)

I will say, I do get annoyed at _Diane Duane's_ attitude , from time to
time. Not about the dumb critics, but about the HP books themselves.
Even though she's never read them, and claims that she can't for
legal/copywright reasons (which I find hard to believe, since isn't
Wizards at War supposed to be the last Young Wizards book?), she feels
that her books are sooooooo superior to HP because her magic system is
all about doing good and saving the world and consequences, etc.

I love the Young Wizard series, but it's nice to read books that
*aren't* so darn PC. I also think Rowling's characters are more
interesting and have more depth to them.

I think anything Diane Duane has to say to the contrary is just Sour
Grapes. ;-) Instead, she should be grateful, because the whole HP craze
has really boosted HER sales. Would they have been reissued with pretty
new covers if Fantasy, especially juvenile fantasy, wasn't so huge right
now?

However, she does have a point about the stupid critics :-D

Megan

Sep 22, 2005, 7:17:38 PM9/22/05
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:08:43 GMT, Kat Hein <katen...@yahoo.com>
scribbled:

>Beldin wrote:
<snip>
>>>Diane Duane takes a lot of flak for "copying" and/or trying to cash in
>>>on the Harry Potter craze. Never mind that she wrote the first Young
>>>Wizard book back when Jo Rowling was still at school. :-/
>>
>> Actually, I do not think the two series have anything in
>> common, other than teenage children. Even the magic is a
>> different style.
>
>You're right, but children learning to be Wizards, and critics and
>reviewers think they're the same. ;-)
>
>I will say, I do get annoyed at _Diane Duane's_ attitude , from time to
>time. Not about the dumb critics, but about the HP books themselves.
>Even though she's never read them, and claims that she can't for
>legal/copywright reasons (which I find hard to believe, since isn't
>Wizards at War supposed to be the last Young Wizards book?), she feels
>that her books are sooooooo superior to HP because her magic system is
>all about doing good and saving the world and consequences, etc.

Really? Hmmm. When it comes to being an author in public, and
speaking of other authors, the most tactful approach is the "say
something nice or..." one.

I have always liked the care with which DDuane thinks out her Worlds,
and arranges them to be nicely consistent. (I attribute her eye for
detail to her early training as a physicist.)

>I love the Young Wizard series, but it's nice to read books that
>*aren't* so darn PC. I also think Rowling's characters are more
>interesting and have more depth to them.

But I agree with Kat. Rowling's works do have a bit more spark to
them.

Ah, well. I still like Duane's early Star Trek novels best of her
work. :>

>I think anything Diane Duane has to say to the contrary is just Sour
>Grapes. ;-) Instead, she should be grateful, because the whole HP craze
>has really boosted HER sales. Would they have been reissued with pretty
>new covers if Fantasy, especially juvenile fantasy, wasn't so huge right
>now?
>
>However, she does have a point about the stupid critics :-D

<G>

Megan
Keeper of the FAQ: http://home.earthlink.net/~m_thomas3/abml/
Acolyte of the God of Grilled SPAM

diane...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2005, 7:36:19 AM9/23/05
Kat Hein wrote:

> I will say, I do get annoyed at _Diane Duane's_ attitude , from time to
> time. Not about the dumb critics, but about the HP books themselves.
> Even though she's never read them, and claims that she can't for
> legal/copywright reasons (which I find hard to believe, since isn't
> Wizards at War supposed to be the last Young Wizards book?), she feels
> that her books are sooooooo superior to HP because her magic system is
> all about doing good and saving the world and consequences, etc.

Um..._excuse me??_

_Who_ says I said this? Or construes something I said as meaning this?
Please point me at a source: because whoever it is, they need their
head felt, and I'm the woman to feel it.

First of all: legal/copyright reasons have nothing whatsoever to do
with why I haven't read, and won't read, the HP books. How the heck
could they? But _publication dates_ do...or, rather, the fact that so
many people tend not to even think about checking them, and to
automatically assume that my stuff came after the Potter books and is
therefore simply some kind of scam or ripoff. For my own purposes, I
prefer to be able to refute the so-boring-by-now "Your stuff is just HP
warmed over" accusation by being able, when asked, to swear on a stack
of the theoretically-divinely-inspired tomes of your choice that I've
never read the HP books. And so matters will remain for a good long
while. I'm aware that I'm probably denying myself a lot of enjoyable
reading. Them's the breaks.

As for the idea that I think my books are soooooooo superior to
anything for some spurious reason having to do with my magic system
being somehow "better" than JKR's in the ethical sense: one word.
"Poppycock." I have zero problem with the concept that magic could
just as properly be used, by human beings, for secular purposes (magic
candy and snazzy flying brooms) as for ethical or spiritual
ones...because people _vary_ so wildly in what's important to them, and
that variation implies big differences in how (and why) they use their
tools. Give one person a screwdriver and he'll put up bookshelves.
Give another a screwdriver and he'll pry the latch off the neighbor's
shed in the middle of the night and steal the lawnmower. ...Anyway, JKR
and I seem to have built our magic systems very differently, and made
possible very different options/responses to magic-users in our two
universes, but that's hardly grounds for either one to be judged
superior to the other.

(thinking) It's barely possible that someone has heard or overheard me
wondering -- since, not having read the books, I couldn't know
first-hand -- whether anything's been established in the HP series as
to where magic comes from, and what it's for (if anything: or is it
just a natural force, something inherent in the physical universe, like
light or gravity? In which case "what it's for" makes about as much
sense as asking what gravity's for). Maybe somebody catching part of
such an exchange could have mistaken what was going on in my head. I
guess. At any rate, it's a question I wouldn't mind having answered,
just for curiosity's sake.

>..isn't Wizards at War supposed to be the last Young Wizards book?

Sheesh, no...my agent and Harcourt will shortly be negotiating the
contract for books ten, eleven, and twelve. The seeds of three new
story arcs are buried in _Wizards at War_, and there's an arc to extend
that started in _The Wizard's Dilemma_ and isn't anything like finished
yet. No, two arcs, now that I think of it. And then there's another
arc starting in _A Wizard of Mars_, which goes to the publisher about
this time next week. So the reports of my series being over are, uh,
exaggerated. I'm having much too much fun!

> I think anything Diane Duane has to say to the contrary is just Sour
> Grapes. ;-)

OMG SHE IZ JUST JELUS!11!111!!! (snicker)

> Instead, she should be grateful, because the whole HP craze
> has really boosted HER sales.

Nolo contendere. :) _And_ Diana Wynne Jones's, and Tamora Pierce's,
and Ursula LeGuin's, and, and, and...

> Would they have been reissued with pretty
> new covers if Fantasy, especially juvenile fantasy, wasn't so huge right
> now?

Uh, well, since you ask...yes. Harcourt committed to the reissue
project in 1995, two years before HP1 came out. (_So You Want to Be a
Wizard's_ first Harcourt edition was 1996.) Not arguing, again, that
events since then haven't exactly hurt. But sales of the first four
books were already strong during '96-'97, before HP would have had a
chance to affect anything significantly. Nonetheless, the rising tide
does indeed float all boats, and should I meet JKR in the future, I'd
gladly shake her by the hand and thank her for her continuing
assistance in feeding our cats. (Like I wouldn't anyway! She seems
like a really nice lady: and I'd be insane not to admire the kind of
grit and discipline that took her from where she was to where she is
now.)

> However, she does have a point about the stupid critics :-D

If I do, it's mostly that, fortunately, not all of them are stupid.
But then, by and large, it's not the critics making this particular
mistake. ;)

Best! D.

---

Diane Duane | The Owl Springs Partnership | Co. Wicklow, Ireland
http://www.owlsprings.com | http://www.youngwizards.com

Kat Hein

Sep 23, 2005, 3:51:17 PM9/23/05
diane...@gmail.com wrote:

Let me start by saying, Welcome to the Asylum. :-) Even if your entry
here was for less than ideal reasons.

"BarOgre! Get our Esteemed Friend here something for her parched
throat! And maybe some of Sasha's brownies, if there are any left. "

> Kat Hein wrote:
>

>>I will say, I do get annoyed at _Diane Duane's_ attitude , from time to
>>time. Not about the dumb critics, but about the HP books themselves.
>>Even though she's never read them, and claims that she can't for
>>legal/copywright reasons (which I find hard to believe, since isn't
>>Wizards at War supposed to be the last Young Wizards book?), she feels
>>that her books are sooooooo superior to HP because her magic system is
>>all about doing good and saving the world and consequences, etc.
>

> Um..._excuse me??_
>
> _Who_ says I said this? Or construes something I said as meaning this?
> Please point me at a source: because whoever it is, they need their
> head felt, and I'm the woman to feel it.

At least I can quote my source ;-)
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.atheism/browse_thread/thread/3a8ebd21c96d91d/68c536ceb37a95ec?q=1121533138&rnum=1&hl=en
(which I followed from your blog)

Specifically from this excerpt: " But from what
I understand about JKR's series, I get a sense that hers is less
eschatologically loaded than mine. The question of "moral
underpinnings" is always a slippery one; but certainly there is a
clearly stated message in my books regarding what wizardry is supposed
to be *for*...and no one is given it who isn't willing to make a basic
commitment to use it for that purpose."

But I will happily admit that any misinterpretation of what you meant by
that rests solely on my shoulders. One of the dangers of the internet,
as I'm sure you well know, is the inability to use body language and
tone of voice to read emotions and intent, so the reader injects their
own, and misunderstandings run rampant. All I can say is that I'm
sorry, and thank you for taking the time to correct me :-)

<snip>

> (thinking) It's barely possible that someone has heard or overheard me
> wondering -- since, not having read the books, I couldn't know
> first-hand -- whether anything's been established in the HP series as
> to where magic comes from, and what it's for (if anything: or is it
> just a natural force, something inherent in the physical universe, like
> light or gravity? In which case "what it's for" makes about as much
> sense as asking what gravity's for). Maybe somebody catching part of
> such an exchange could have mistaken what was going on in my head. I
> guess. At any rate, it's a question I wouldn't mind having answered,
> just for curiosity's sake.

That's an interesting question. For the most part, she seems to treat
the ability to do magic as something genetic. If your parents were
wizards, the chances are good that you'll be one, as well. Offspring
from wizarding families without the ability are called "Squibs" and are
treated similarly to how someone with a mental disability would be
treated in the "real world". She never gives much explanation as to how
the "Muggle born" wizards come about, except to vaguely treat it as a
sort of recessive or mutated gene. These wizards generally get grief
from both sides, as sometimes, as in the case of Harry's aunt and uncle,
their families think they are freaks, while certain full-blooded wizards
look down on them, in varying degrees of severity. In an interesting
commentary on human nature, two of the most violently bigotted Wizards
in the books are half-bloods themselves. ;-) However, she definitely
treats it as a natural force. Some wizards use magic for the Good of
All, some use it just for the good of themselves and their comfort-
neither good nor evil, and then some, like Lord Voldemort, take the "for
the good of themselves" (or at least their own desires) to the extreme,
which ends up as the ultimate Evil.

Your magic system and plots are so far from being similar to Jo
Rowlings', that it's pretty unbelievable how uninformed people can make
those comments. Now, if they compared your books to Susan Cooper's
_Dark is Rising_ series or even Madeline L'Engle's _Time_ quartet, then
I could see similarities :-D Not enough to make any silly accusations,
but at least it would be somewhat understandable.

<snip>

>>..isn't Wizards at War supposed to be the last Young Wizards book?
>

> Sheesh, no...my agent and Harcourt will shortly be negotiating the
> contract for books ten, eleven, and twelve. The seeds of three new
> story arcs are buried in _Wizards at War_, and there's an arc to extend
> that started in _The Wizard's Dilemma_ and isn't anything like finished
> yet. No, two arcs, now that I think of it. And then there's another
> arc starting in _A Wizard of Mars_, which goes to the publisher about
> this time next week. So the reports of my series being over are, uh,
> exaggerated. I'm having much too much fun!

*sigh* I don't know whether to be happy about that or not. LOL We have
cats of our own to feed. ;-) I guess I should have dug deeper when you
mentioned _A Wizard of Mars_ on your blog, as I *did* think it sounded
like a YW book. I'd have figured it out soon enough when reading
_Wizards at War_ , which is in the to-be-read pile. On the bright side,
if you ended _Wizards at War_ on a cliff-hanger like you did with
_Wizard's Holiday_, at least the wait will be relatively short until the
next one. And since you're here, I will use this opportunity, to
shamelessly beg you to work on _The Door into Starlight_ once _Wizards
at War_ is out of the way. Not that I deserve it, of course, but I'm
begging anyway.

Once again, I'm sorry for my misinterpretation, and thank you for taking
the time to correct me and for doing so with more grace and patience
than I deserved.

--
Kat
Beloved of Jesse

diane...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2005, 5:16:12 PM9/23/05
Hey there!

Kat Hein wrote:

> Let me start by saying, Welcome to the Asylum. :-) Even if your entry
> here was for less than ideal reasons.

:) Don't sweat it. And thanks for the welcome.

> At least I can quote my source ;-)
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.atheism/browse_thread/thread/3a8ebd21c96d91d/68c536ceb37a95ec?q=1121533138&rnum=1&hl=en
> (which I followed from your blog)
>
> Specifically from this excerpt: " But from what
> I understand about JKR's series, I get a sense that hers is less
> eschatologically loaded than mine. The question of "moral
> underpinnings" is always a slippery one; but certainly there is a
> clearly stated message in my books regarding what wizardry is supposed
> to be *for*...and no one is given it who isn't willing to make a basic
> commitment to use it for that purpose."
>
> But I will happily admit that any misinterpretation of what you meant by
> that rests solely on my shoulders.

OK: so noted.

I was using the term "eschatologically" to indicate a specific point,
though...and this is just a function of one of those mindset things for
me. I have a lot of trouble contemplating much of anything in any kind
of depth without trying to figure out at a fairly early stage (a) what
it's for (or seems to be for), (b) where it came from to start with,
and (c) where it's finally going to wind up. In the YW universe, the
question of where wizardry comes from, and how, and for what purpose,
is meant to come up (and usually, to be answered) almost immediately. A
wizard past the Ordeal stage will therefore often find himself/herself
thinking about what having wizardry in the first place implies -- that
commitment to the struggle to slow down the inevitable day when the
heat death overtakes the Universe and everything runs down. Hence the
reference to eschatology, the study of the "end things" of a given
world. As far as I knew, there was no particular emphasis of this kind
in the HP books: which was what I was speaking to.

Most specifically I had no intention of saying or implying anything
even slightly specific about the comparative _morality_ of the two
systems of wizardry -- hence the reference to the slipperiness of the
topic (especially since at the back of my mind was the thought that
it's all too easy for "morality" to be read or misread as
"superiority"). Certainly many of JKR's characters, as I understand
them at third hand, seem to be as "moral" as any of mine when faced
with the tough choices: that much data I have. But I _was_ curious
whether JKR's wizardry was "for" anything: whether the rules governing
its proper use (I mean, there are schools, there must be rules...) had
been established as coming from anyplace besides a general sense that
Good is Nicer than Evil. :) About that, I knew nothing.

The two universes definitely become apples-and-oranges in this respect
if JKR is treating magic as one more of those millions of things that
the universe drops in front of you for you to use or abuse as your
environment, development and soul predispose you. It leaves her able,
too, to do all kinds of things with magic in her universe that I'm
pretty much not allowed to do with wizardry in mine. Yet wizardry the
way it works in my neighborhood can, as a result of its derivation,
take my characters to places JKR's can't go (and for all I know, might
not particularly care to. Yet I also have to note with amusement the
surprising amount of HP/YW crossover fanfic that's out there, which
implies... well, now that I come to think of it, I'm not sure _what_ it
implies, except that some people really seem to like throwing our
hapless characters into a room together, locking the door, and watching
them play Magical/Ideological Wizardly Smackdown/Deathmatch). So maybe
everything comes out more or less even.

> One of the dangers of the internet,
> as I'm sure you well know, is the inability to use body language and
> tone of voice to read emotions and intent, so the reader injects their
> own, and misunderstandings run rampant. All I can say is that I'm
> sorry, and thank you for taking the time to correct me :-)

Well, maybe I too could have been clearer: so thanks for explaining,
so I can be more careful next time. :)

> >>..isn't Wizards at War supposed to be the last Young Wizards book?

<...answer-snip...>

> ...On the bright side,

> if you ended _Wizards at War_ on a cliff-hanger like you did with
> _Wizard's Holiday_, at least the wait will be relatively short until the
> next one.

Oooh, nonononono. I wouldn't have dared. Many things get resolved in
W@W. But various other cans of worms are opened, quietly, in the
background.

> And since you're here, I will use this opportunity, to
> shamelessly beg you to work on _The Door into Starlight_ once _Wizards
> at War_ is out of the way.

It really is about to be at the top of the workpile. However, this is
just one of those pieces of work that, now that it's finally in hand,
can't be rushed. (Yeah, I know, I hear the screams now. _"Twenty
years, _how the $%&# is that rushed??!!"_)

> Once again, I'm sorry for my misinterpretation, and thank you for taking
> the time to correct me and for doing so with more grace and patience
> than I deserved.

Please, don't sweat it at all. I've committed any number of whoopsies
online, and have routinely been cut much more slack than I deserved. A
pleasure, if necessary, to pass the slack on. :)

Ohmikeghod

Sep 24, 2005, 6:50:13 PM9/24/05
In stone pixels, diane...@gmail.com carved:

> Most specifically I had no intention of saying or implying anything
> even slightly specific about the comparative _morality_ of the two
> systems of wizardry -- hence the reference to the slipperiness of the
> topic (especially since at the back of my mind was the thought that
> it's all too easy for "morality" to be read or misread as
> "superiority"). Certainly many of JKR's characters, as I understand
> them at third hand, seem to be as "moral" as any of mine when faced
> with the tough choices: that much data I have. But I _was_ curious
> whether JKR's wizardry was "for" anything: whether the rules governing
> its proper use (I mean, there are schools, there must be rules...) had
> been established as coming from anyplace besides a general sense that
> Good is Nicer than Evil. :) About that, I knew nothing.

The way I understand it, in the HP universe magical training is treared much
like conventional schooling is in our mundane universe. How it is used is up
to each individual, and any prejudices are learned from the parents or
environment, rather than being ingrained in individuals. Thus you can have
more than one type of "evil" - the wizarding government seems bent on
perpetrating it's own brand lately through censorship and planting news
items to its own ends, which could end up being worse than anything
Voldemort plans. I certainly hope that in the last HP book that the
nastiness of government is tied up, or else there _WILL_ be clamor for an
extension to the series.
--
---Mike---
Agent of the dancing barbarians (+apprentice)

Member of the Guild of Free Pedants
High priest of liquer-filled chocococolates

Megan

Sep 24, 2005, 9:24:03 PM9/24/05
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:50:13 GMT, "Ohmikeghod"
<ohmik...@mirthlink.net> scribbled:

<snippage>

>items to its own ends, which could end up being worse than anything
>Voldemort plans. I certainly hope that in the last HP book that the
>nastiness of government is tied up, or else there _WILL_ be clamor for an
>extension to the series.

Um. Mike. Do you honestly think there is anything, anything at all,
that Rowling could do in the last book that would result in NO clamor
for a series extension?

Clamor from bereaved booksellers, at minimum?

Liz

Sep 24, 2005, 9:40:09 PM9/24/05

She could always kill Harry...though that's highly unlikely. And,
depending how she killed him, it could easily be manuevered into a new
series anyway.

Liz

SAMK

Sep 25, 2005, 12:27:47 AM9/25/05
diane...@gmail.com wrote:

> Sheesh, no...my agent and Harcourt will shortly be negotiating the
> contract for books ten, eleven, and twelve. The seeds of three new
> story arcs are buried in _Wizards at War_, and there's an arc to extend
> that started in _The Wizard's Dilemma_ and isn't anything like finished
> yet. No, two arcs, now that I think of it. And then there's another
> arc starting in _A Wizard of Mars_, which goes to the publisher about
> this time next week. So the reports of my series being over are, uh,
> exaggerated. I'm having much too much fun!

Oh, wonderful. My daughter will be thrilled to learn this.

SAMK

diane...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2005, 7:41:31 AM9/25/05

Ohmikeghod wrote:

> The way I understand it, in the HP universe magical training is treared much
> like conventional schooling is in our mundane universe. How it is used is up
> to each individual, and any prejudices are learned from the parents or
> environment, rather than being ingrained in individuals. Thus you can have

> more than one type of "evil"...

Got it. That makes perfect sense.

Thanks!

best - D.

Megan

Sep 25, 2005, 3:30:29 PM9/25/05
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 20:40:09 -0500, Liz <eha...@purdue.edu>
scribbled:

>Megan wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:50:13 GMT, "Ohmikeghod"
>> <ohmik...@mirthlink.net> scribbled:
>>
>> <snippage>
>>
>>>items to its own ends, which could end up being worse than anything
>>>Voldemort plans. I certainly hope that in the last HP book that the
>>>nastiness of government is tied up, or else there _WILL_ be clamor for an
>>>extension to the series.
>>
>> Um. Mike. Do you honestly think there is anything, anything at all,
>> that Rowling could do in the last book that would result in NO clamor
>> for a series extension?
>>
>> Clamor from bereaved booksellers, at minimum?
>

>She could always kill Harry...though that's highly unlikely. And,
>depending how she killed him, it could easily be manuevered into a new
>series anyway.

You think it is unlikely?

I don't.

(I don't think it is likely, either. My personal odds are 50/50.)

And, given how often characters get killed off and resurrected in
fiction, I doubt killing him off would have any effect on requests for
more books. Heck, people would request that she pull a Hamlet's
Father routine and have Harry back as a ghost.

Nope. Rowling must resign herself. Perhaps that's why she takes a
long time between novels -- trying to put off the inevitable deluge of
"keep going!" requests. :>

(Regarding one of my earlier posts in this thread, I should perhaps
mention that Rowling's work sticks in the brain better than Duane's...
when one is posting to Usenet while eagerly awaiting dinner. Nothing
like thinking of chocolate frogs and any flavor jelly beans when the
last meal was way, way too long ago. Rowling creates vivid foods.
Considered on a full stomach, matters may be different.)

Ohmikeghod

Sep 26, 2005, 12:44:50 AM9/26/05
In stone pixels, Megan carved:

> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:50:13 GMT, "Ohmikeghod"
> <ohmik...@mirthlink.net> scribbled:
>
> <snippage>
>> items to its own ends, which could end up being worse than anything
>> Voldemort plans. I certainly hope that in the last HP book that the
>> nastiness of government is tied up, or else there _WILL_ be clamor
>> for an extension to the series.
>
> Um. Mike. Do you honestly think there is anything, anything at all,
> that Rowling could do in the last book that would result in NO clamor
> for a series extension?
>
> Clamor from bereaved booksellers, at minimum?

Actually, I don't. But tying up loose ends and not opening new cans of
worms would go a long way toward the satisfactory end of the series.

So, what does she need to do? Make certain that good triumphs over evil.
Which means Harry's triumph over Voldemort, the eradication of the Death
Eaters and installation of a responsible government and bureaucracies. I'm
not at all certain that all of this can be accomplished in one book,
though...

Kat Hein

Sep 26, 2005, 3:16:55 AM9/26/05
diane...@gmail.com wrote:

*snip*

> The two universes definitely become apples-and-oranges in this respect
> if JKR is treating magic as one more of those millions of things that
> the universe drops in front of you for you to use or abuse as your
> environment, development and soul predispose you. It leaves her able,
> too, to do all kinds of things with magic in her universe that I'm
> pretty much not allowed to do with wizardry in mine. Yet wizardry the
> way it works in my neighborhood can, as a result of its derivation,
> take my characters to places JKR's can't go (and for all I know, might
> not particularly care to. Yet I also have to note with amusement the
> surprising amount of HP/YW crossover fanfic that's out there, which
> implies... well, now that I come to think of it, I'm not sure _what_ it
> implies, except that some people really seem to like throwing our
> hapless characters into a room together, locking the door, and watching
> them play Magical/Ideological Wizardly Smackdown/Deathmatch). So maybe
> everything comes out more or less even.

I think it means that both of you write compelling characters that
people think they know. And the differences in the Universes and
characters themselves would make for interesting fan fic. :-) But the
heck with the 3 main HP characters, the funniest pairing in MNSHO would
be to lock Mr Weasley in a room with Dairine. With his well-meaning, but
very misinformed love of "Muggle" things and her gadgets, especially
the laptop, that would make for something hilarious.

<snip>

>> ...On the bright side,
>>if you ended _Wizards at War_ on a cliff-hanger like you did with
>>_Wizard's Holiday_, at least the wait will be relatively short until the
>>next one.
>

> Oooh, nonononono. I wouldn't have dared. Many things get resolved in
> W@W. But various other cans of worms are opened, quietly, in the
> background.

Quiet cans of worms are great, they keep us wanting more but don't make
us yell at the end of the book.

>>And since you're here, I will use this opportunity, to
>>shamelessly beg you to work on _The Door into Starlight_ once _Wizards
>>at War_ is out of the way.
>

> It really is about to be at the top of the workpile. However, this is
> just one of those pieces of work that, now that it's finally in hand,
> can't be rushed. (Yeah, I know, I hear the screams now. _"Twenty
> years, _how the $%&# is that rushed??!!"_)

Luckily, I only came to the series 2 or 3 years back, so I haven't had
the long wait others, like my husband, have had to endure. At least
you're not taking a year off between books to have and take care of
babies, like JKR has done/is doing twice now. ;-) Really, after 20
years, what's a little bit more?

Kat Hein

Sep 26, 2005, 3:40:29 AM9/26/05

LOL The last long pause (and the one that will be between HBP and the
next one) are primarily caused by her feeling that for the entire first
year of life, a baby deserves the undivided attention of its mother, not
a mother locked in a writing frenzy for hours and hours at all times of
day and night. ;-) So the last book won't even be begun in earnest until
February.

She also won't say an unequivocal NO to the idea of more books in the
Universe. Although, more for "never say never" reasons than desire to
write more. She's said, instead, that she has other ideas floating
around in her brain that have been put on hold that she wants to work on
once HP is wrapped. I, for one, would love to see those other ideas. :-D
I doubt she'll be able to create anything as hugely popular as HP, but
if they're as high of quality, I'll glady continue to give her my money.

> (Regarding one of my earlier posts in this thread, I should perhaps
> mention that Rowling's work sticks in the brain better than Duane's...
> when one is posting to Usenet while eagerly awaiting dinner. Nothing
> like thinking of chocolate frogs and any flavor jelly beans when the
> last meal was way, way too long ago. Rowling creates vivid foods.
> Considered on a full stomach, matters may be different.)

Since both of them regularly reduce me to tears, I'd say the works
themselves are about even. ;-) I prefer JKR's characters while Duane's
imagery definitely sticks in my mind in book after book.

Kat Hein

Sep 26, 2005, 3:51:35 AM9/26/05
Ohmikeghod wrote:

>>Um. Mike. Do you honestly think there is anything, anything at all,
>>that Rowling could do in the last book that would result in NO clamor
>>for a series extension?
>>
>>Clamor from bereaved booksellers, at minimum?
>>

> Actually, I don't. But tying up loose ends and not opening new cans of
> worms would go a long way toward the satisfactory end of the series.
>
> So, what does she need to do? Make certain that good triumphs over evil.
> Which means Harry's triumph over Voldemort, the eradication of the Death
> Eaters and installation of a responsible government and bureaucracies. I'm
> not at all certain that all of this can be accomplished in one book,
> though...

Well, all along, she's known vaguely what was going to happen in all 7
books, and she's said that the last paragraph, which she wrote years
ago, still stands, with only very minor changes. So I trust her to wrap
things up satisfactorily in one book.

Will that book be over 800 pages? Maybe. ;-)

Bruce Glassford

Sep 26, 2005, 7:54:23 AM9/26/05
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:16:55 GMT, Kat Hein <katen...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>diane...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>*snip*
>
><snip>

>I think it means that both of you write compelling characters that
>people think they know. And the differences in the Universes and
>characters themselves would make for interesting fan fic. :-) But the
>heck with the 3 main HP characters, the funniest pairing in MNSHO would
>be to lock Mr Weasley in a room with Dairine. With his well-meaning, but
> very misinformed love of "Muggle" things and her gadgets, especially
>the laptop, that would make for something hilarious.

Ouch. I REALLY didn't need that visual.

POINT!!!!

... Bruce
--

Bruce the elder, the constantly de-lurking hemi-demi-semi deity of sanity, split personalities, reality and knitter of feeted PJs. Deposit
your sanity here, please. (there's another one tagged)

Kat Hein

Sep 26, 2005, 1:54:16 PM9/26/05
Bruce Glassford wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:16:55 GMT, Kat Hein <katen...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>diane...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>*snip*
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>I think it means that both of you write compelling characters that
>>people think they know. And the differences in the Universes and
>>characters themselves would make for interesting fan fic. :-) But the
>>heck with the 3 main HP characters, the funniest pairing in MNSHO would
>>be to lock Mr Weasley in a room with Dairine. With his well-meaning, but
>> very misinformed love of "Muggle" things and her gadgets, especially
>>the laptop, that would make for something hilarious.
>

> Ouch. I REALLY didn't need that visual.
>
> POINT!!!!
>
> ... Bruce

Thanks! :-D I'm glad someone else sees what I'm saying! ROFL

Aaron

Sep 26, 2005, 5:18:17 PM9/26/05
>>><snippage>

>>She could always kill Harry...though that's highly unlikely. And,
>>depending how she killed him, it could easily be manuevered into a new
>>series anyway.
>
> You think it is unlikely?
>
> I don't.
>
> (I don't think it is likely, either. My personal odds are 50/50.)
>
> And, given how often characters get killed off and resurrected in
> fiction, I doubt killing him off would have any effect on requests for
> more books. Heck, people would request that she pull a Hamlet's
> Father routine and have Harry back as a ghost.

Considering how many characters *are* ghosts, and how many folks have
been killed, I would not be surprised to see Harry killed. Plus, I am
sure Moaning Myrtle would love Harry as a ghost.

<more snippage>

> Megan
> Keeper of the FAQ: http://home.earthlink.net/~m_thomas3/abml/
> Acolyte of the God of Grilled SPAM

Megan

Sep 26, 2005, 5:53:43 PM9/26/05
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:40:29 GMT, Kat Hein <katen...@yahoo.com>
scribbled:

>Megan wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 20:40:09 -0500, Liz <eha...@purdue.edu>
>> scribbled:
>>
>>>Megan wrote:

<snip - HPotter universe>

>> Nope. Rowling must resign herself. Perhaps that's why she takes a
>> long time between novels -- trying to put off the inevitable deluge of
>> "keep going!" requests. :>
>
>LOL The last long pause (and the one that will be between HBP and the
>next one) are primarily caused by her feeling that for the entire first
>year of life, a baby deserves the undivided attention of its mother, not
>a mother locked in a writing frenzy for hours and hours at all times of
>day and night. ;-) So the last book won't even be begun in earnest until
> February.

In a perfect world, I agree with Ms Rowlling. This world not being
perfect, not every family can afford an adult member taking off a year
from work.

But, since she can afford it, yay her.

>She also won't say an unequivocal NO to the idea of more books in the
>Universe. Although, more for "never say never" reasons than desire to
>write more. She's said, instead, that she has other ideas floating
>around in her brain that have been put on hold that she wants to work on
>once HP is wrapped. I, for one, would love to see those other ideas. :-D
>I doubt she'll be able to create anything as hugely popular as HP, but
>if they're as high of quality, I'll glady continue to give her my money.

Ditto.

Well, minus the money bit. Thus far, the only Potter book I've
purchased I turned around and gave to the local library. :>

>> (Regarding one of my earlier posts in this thread, I should perhaps
>> mention that Rowling's work sticks in the brain better than Duane's...
>> when one is posting to Usenet while eagerly awaiting dinner. Nothing
>> like thinking of chocolate frogs and any flavor jelly beans when the
>> last meal was way, way too long ago. Rowling creates vivid foods.
>> Considered on a full stomach, matters may be different.)
>
>Since both of them regularly reduce me to tears, I'd say the works
>themselves are about even. ;-) I prefer JKR's characters while Duane's
>imagery definitely sticks in my mind in book after book.

Interesting. I'd put it the other way around -- I like Duane's
characters and admire Rowling's imagery. Chocolate frogs and
fantastic castles and whatnot. <g> Duane does incomparable aliens --
I can't think of any other author that creates so many and thinks each
type out so thoroughly.

(Maybe there is such an author. CJ Cherryh, perhaps, but she tends
not to create _many_ aliens, though she puts much thought into the few
she does create. I don't read overmuch hard SF, so it would be easy
to miss talented alien-creators.)

Megan

Sep 26, 2005, 5:54:05 PM9/26/05
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:18:17 GMT, Aaron <kem...@hotmail.com>
scribbled:

>Considering how many characters *are* ghosts, and how many folks have
>been killed, I would not be surprised to see Harry killed. Plus, I am
>sure Moaning Myrtle would love Harry as a ghost.

Good motivation for Harry to stay living!!

Aaron

Sep 29, 2005, 9:58:16 PM9/29/05

>>Considering how many characters *are* ghosts, and how many folks have
>>been killed, I would not be surprised to see Harry killed. Plus, I am
>>sure Moaning Myrtle would love Harry as a ghost.
>

> Good motivation for Harry to stay living!!
>
> Megan
> Keeper of the FAQ: http://home.earthlink.net/~m_thomas3/abml/
> Acolyte of the God of Grilled SPAM

But if Harry were beheaded, would he join the Headless Hunt?

Kat Hein

Sep 30, 2005, 2:53:52 PM9/30/05
Aaron wrote:

>>> Considering how many characters *are* ghosts, and how many folks have
>>> been killed, I would not be surprised to see Harry killed. Plus, I am
>>> sure Moaning Myrtle would love Harry as a ghost.
>>

>> Good motivation for Harry to stay living!!
>>
>> Megan
>> Keeper of the FAQ: http://home.earthlink.net/~m_thomas3/abml/
>> Acolyte of the God of Grilled SPAM
>

> But if Harry were beheaded, would he join the Headless Hunt?

LOL Talk about some interesting FanFic! Think how mad Nearly Headless
Nick would be about Harry joining the Headless Hunt :-D

Aaron

Oct 2, 2005, 2:04:56 AM10/2/05

>>> Good motivation for Harry to stay living!!
>>>
>>> Megan
>>
>> But if Harry were beheaded, would he join the Headless Hunt?
>
> LOL Talk about some interesting FanFic! Think how mad Nearly Headless
> Nick would be about Harry joining the Headless Hunt :-D

Next 'what if':
What if Dumbledore absolutely trusted Snape to kill him when he must?

Hmmm...how many thousands of Dumbledore collector cards are spread
throughout the wizarding world? Can Dumbledore now spy via them?

Megan

Oct 2, 2005, 4:25:43 PM10/2/05
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 06:04:56 GMT, Aaron <kem...@hotmail.com>
scribbled:

>>> But if Harry were beheaded, would he join the Headless Hunt?
>>
>> LOL Talk about some interesting FanFic! Think how mad Nearly Headless
>> Nick would be about Harry joining the Headless Hunt :-D
>
>Next 'what if':
>What if Dumbledore absolutely trusted Snape to kill him when he must?
>
>Hmmm...how many thousands of Dumbledore collector cards are spread
>throughout the wizarding world? Can Dumbledore now spy via them?

Errrr, Aaron? Spoiler warnings?

Not everyone can afford that massive tome in hardback.

John Oliver

Oct 2, 2005, 7:44:53 PM10/2/05
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 20:25:43 GMT, Megan
<m_thomas[nummovies_LoTR]@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Errrr, Aaron? Spoiler warnings?
>
>Not everyone can afford that massive tome in hardback.
>
>Megan

Megan, I recall reading of the death in a newspaper review the day the
book came out. I think its common knowledge that D dies even if the
details have to wait for reading the book.
--
John Oliver
aussie...@yahoo.com.au

Aaron

Oct 2, 2005, 9:05:56 PM10/2/05

> Errrr, Aaron? Spoiler warnings?
>
> Not everyone can afford that massive tome in hardback.

Sorry, my bad.

> Megan
> Keeper of the FAQ: http://home.earthlink.net/~m_thomas3/abml/
> Acolyte of the God of Grilled SPAM

Aaron

Oct 3, 2005, 8:54:17 PM10/3/05

>> Errrr, Aaron? Spoiler warnings?
>>
>> Not everyone can afford that massive tome in hardback.
>
> Sorry, my bad.
>
>> Megan
>> Keeper of the FAQ: http://home.earthlink.net/~m_thomas3/abml/
>> Acolyte of the God of Grilled SPAM

I forgot. I only paid $7US; the Friar Tuck Book Club, plus early
ordering, reduced the price from 'Massive Tome' to 'Paperback' price.

Unfortunately, Friar Tuck's closed and is now a large empty store.

Megan

Oct 3, 2005, 9:55:26 PM10/3/05
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 09:44:53 +1000, John Oliver
<aussie...@yahoo.com.au> scribbled:

>On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 20:25:43 GMT, Megan
><m_thomas[nummovies_LoTR]@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>Errrr, Aaron? Spoiler warnings?
>>
>>Not everyone can afford that massive tome in hardback.
>>
>>Megan
>
>Megan, I recall reading of the death in a newspaper review the day the
>book came out. I think its common knowledge that D dies even if the
>details have to wait for reading the book.

Do you know how hard I had to work to avoid getting spoilers from
newspapers? I think I completely avoided the "Books" section of every
paper from the time that book came out until the library loaned me a
copy.

Most vexing, since I rather like the Books section. I wish book
reviews would put spoiler warnings around the spoiler-ish bits.

*I* didn't know diddly-pip about the ending of the novel until I
actually read it! Complete surprise! And that's definitely the way I
like it. :>

Robotech_Master

Oct 25, 2005, 11:43:46 PM10/25/05
On 23 Sep 2005 04:36:19 -0700, diane...@gmail.com
<diane...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For my own purposes, I prefer to be able to refute the
> so-boring-by-now "Your stuff is just HP warmed over" accusation by
> being able, when asked, to swear on a stack of the
> theoretically-divinely-inspired tomes of your choice that I've
> never read the HP books. And so matters will remain for a good long
> while. I'm aware that I'm probably denying myself a lot of
> enjoyable reading. Them's the breaks.

Well, you certainly have every right to feel that way.

I'm just sorry you're letting the morons of the world keep you away
from an enjoyable reading experience. You *should* just be able to
say, "Are you aware that the first Wizards book predates Harry Potter
by twenty years?" Or words to that effect. And then ignore them,
because if they're too stupid to bother to check publication dates,
their opinions should not matter.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html

diane...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2005, 3:32:11 AM10/26/05
Robotech_Master wrote:

> I'm just sorry you're letting the morons of the world keep you away
> from an enjoyable reading experience. You *should* just be able to
> say, "Are you aware that the first Wizards book predates Harry Potter
> by twenty years?" Or words to that effect. And then ignore them,
> because if they're too stupid to bother to check publication dates,
> their opinions should not matter.

(sigh) Easier said than done. Unfortunately, one of the most popular
phrases in English is "I'm entitled to my/an opinion..." -- with the
almost always invisible but routinely assumed codicil, "...whether it's
informed or not." In the world as it stands, "opinions",
misconceptions and rumors can spread around the planet at
near-lightspeed, and can be enshrined in the minds of thousands or
hundreds of thousands of people as the gospel truth within a matter of
hours. (Check this recent week's news from Birmingham in the UK if
you're in any doubt about this.) So, whether I like it or not, people's
opinions in this regard _do_ matter. Rather than having to have the
exchange you're suggesting over and over and over again, I've made the
choice to take this particular stand and then get on with business.

As regards my own reading pleasure, in this particular case I prefer to
wait a while until the ruckus dies down. There'll come a time, in, oh,
ten or fifteen years, when "OMG she totally stole all her ideas from
Jo!" will no longer be the immediate response to coming across a copy
of _So You Want to Be a Wizard_. Then I'll buy the whole series at
once, put my feet up, kick back, and not come out of the house for
about a week. Meantime, I have lots of other things to keep me busy.
:)

Best! D.

Michelle K. DeCosta

Oct 28, 2005, 3:32:18 AM10/28/05
diane...@gmail.com wrote:
> As regards my own reading pleasure, in this particular case I prefer to
> wait a while until the ruckus dies down. There'll come a time, in, oh,
> ten or fifteen years, when "OMG she totally stole all her ideas from
> Jo!" will no longer be the immediate response to coming across a copy
> of _So You Want to Be a Wizard_. Then I'll buy the whole series at
> once, put my feet up, kick back, and not come out of the house for
> about a week. Meantime, I have lots of other things to keep me busy.
> :)
>
> Best! D.

And you won't have to wait two-plus years between books six and seven! Wish
I'd been that patient. [sigh]

-- victoreia (wondering just how many times she can read "Half-Blood Prince"
before book seven comes out. . . .)