Nuppies' edition of Ulysses on eBay

Jorn Barger

Nov 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/3/99
I'm not the one selling this, but the seller's feedback-comments are all
positive, and the price is still currently a low, low, low $25:

<URL:http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=192308446>

ULYSSES By James Joyce is a Shakespeare and Company
12 Rue De L'Odeon, 12 Paris 1928 - 10th printing. It has a
red 3/4 leather binding, worn at the connection of spine
and bonds. Some browning on edges of pages. [see pic]

This one gives you the original, Joyce-approved, beautiful page design,
without the size reduction of the recent Oxford reprint.

('Nuppies' is a term I coined when Ted Samsel (on rab) objected to being
called a yuppie. It's short for 'one-uppers' and refers to yuppie-like
braggarts who don't share (eg) the typical yuppie materialism. This is
the Ulysses edition for them.)

--
XML for webpages is like plastic bags for comic books.
I edit the Net: <URL:http://www.robotwisdom.com/>

Jorn Barger

Nov 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/3/99
> Difficult to see why this edition should so incur JB's opprobrium.

It only looks like opprobium if you're uncomfortable with your own Inner
Nuppie.

> My guess is that it'll go for about $250 or better.

I wouldn't know. I got a beat-up paperback copy in Amsterdam for $35,
so it's not always just a collectible.

Robert Teeter

Nov 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/3/99
In rec.arts.books Jorn Barger <jo...@mcs.com> wrote:

[Franics:]

:> My guess is that it'll go for about $250 or better.

: I wouldn't know. I got a beat-up paperback copy in Amsterdam for $35,
: so it's not always just a collectible.

it *is* a 10th printing, after all.

--
Bob Teeter (rte...@netcom.com) | http://www.wco.com/~rteeter/
"I can't have information I know would be of

gregsfamous

Nov 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/3/99
jo...@mcs.com (Jorn Barger) wrote:
> ULYSSES By James Joyce is a Shakespeare and Company
> 12 Rue De L'Odeon, 12 Paris 1928 - 10th printing. It has a
> red 3/4 leather binding, worn at the connection of spine

Wasn't the Shakespeare & Co. edition bound in blue leather?

Curt

Jorn Barger

Nov 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/3/99
Francis Muir <fra...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Not only "Joyce approved" -- whatever that means

It means:

- size of headlines in Eolus
- formatting of Circe
- pagination breaking 50-50 at page 365 after Nausikaa
- how Joyce's leading-dash-for-quoting is presented
- size of 'egg' at end of Ithaca
- lack of Homeric titles
- font face
etc (see Kidd vs Gabler for maximal niggling)

Jorn Barger

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
Francis Muir <fra...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> > <URL:http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=192308446>
> [...]

> My guess is that it'll go for about $250 or better.

$102.50

Francis Muir

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99

Jorn Barger wrote:

> Francis Muir <fra...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> > > <URL:http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=192308446>
> > [...]
> > My guess is that it'll go for about $250 or better.
>
> $102.50

Yes, my $100.50 didn't make it.