No pandybat in Stephen Hero!???

Jorn Barger

Dec 21, 2000, 1:05:46 PM12/21/00
I may well have to eat my words on this one (too) but I'm finally
getting around to creating a webpage for _Stephen Hero_ (no etext,
sorry):

http://www.robotwisdom.com/jaj/portrait/shero.html

...to collate all the tidbits I've tracked down. And as I'm looking thru
the surviving chapters for clues about the lost chapters, I notice this
(p245, ch14):

"He had sometimes watched the faces of prefects as they 'pandied'
boys with a broad leather bat..."

Now, if the early chapters of SH had included the whole Conmee
melodrama, surely he would have named the pandy-er at this point... yes?
And he wouldn't have had to re-explain what pandying was all about.

So I conclude, preliminarily, that those scenes were entirely missing
from the original version!?!

--
http://www.robotwisdom.com/ "Relentlessly intelligent
yet playful, polymathic in scope of interests, minimalist