Gorean (and pseudo-Gorean) symbols font available

AnonMoos

Jan 30, 2006, 12:05:30 AM1/30/06
There is now a "dingbat" font containing Gorean and pseudo-Gorean
symbols available at http://symbolictruth.fateback.com/fonts.htm
This is actually a kind of project that I've had hanging around for a
while in different forms, until just last month I decided that it
would work out best as a font.

Feel free to to copy the font ZIP file to your own web-pages and make
it available for download there. (In fact, I would prefer that you
copy the ZIP file onto your own server, if possible -- along with any
useful accompanying text or images from the
http://symbolictruth.fateback.com/fonts.htm page -- rather than
linking to that page, since the website I have set up under my
AnonMoos persona isn't very robust.)

Jeff Howell

Jan 30, 2006, 3:06:02 AM1/30/06
AnonMoos <anon...@io.com> wrote:

>There is now a "dingbat" font containing Gorean and pseudo-Gorean
>symbols available at http://symbolictruth.fateback.com/fonts.htm

Excellent work! Many thanks.

http://website.lineone.net/~jeff.howell

Qabalkar

Feb 4, 2006, 10:18:58 AM2/4/06
This is outstanding! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. It's
easily one of the best fan products ever.

I had no idea until going to the site to download it that you were a
Middle Eastern languages scholar. The Arabic dingbats here are
intriguing. And I'm pleased to see you've included everyone's favorite
written Chinese. It's interesting how in Chinese, because of its
orthography, you pick up some of the emotional content of the word.

Thanks again, O King of the Nameless Antlers!

q.

Sablesword

Feb 4, 2006, 11:29:31 PM2/4/06
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:05:30 -0600, AnonMoos <anon...@io.com> wrote:

>There is now a "dingbat" font containing Gorean and pseudo-Gorean
>symbols available at http://symbolictruth.fateback.com/fonts.htm
>This is actually a kind of project that I've had hanging around for a
>while in different forms, until just last month I decided that it
>would work out best as a font.

Nifty.

One question, though. Where did you get the silhouette that you used
to make the lower-case "c"? It looks... familiar
http://geocities.com/lurker60031/sils.html

AnonMoos

Feb 5, 2006, 6:31:18 PM2/5/06
"Qabalkar" <qaba...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is outstanding! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. It's
> easily one of the best fan products ever.

Thanks...

> I had no idea until going to the site to download it that you were a
> Middle Eastern languages scholar.

Well, I tried to read the quasi-Phoenician inscription you included
in one of your pics a while back, but apparently I wasn't too
successful because you changed the values of a lot of the letters of
that alphabet from consonants to vowels ;-)

> The Arabic dingbats here are intriguing. And I'm pleased to see
> you've included everyone's favorite written Chinese. It's
> interesting how in Chinese, because of its orthography, you pick up
> some of the emotional content of the word. Thanks again, O King of
> the Nameless Antlers! q.

You found the "hidden" characters, then... I'm waiting for someone to
find the "hidden" graphics in the SVG file (only if your SVG viewer
supports scripting). ;-)

>> http://symbolictruth.fateback.com/fonts.htm

AnonMoos

Feb 5, 2006, 6:42:50 PM2/5/06

Yes, it was semi-loosely based on sil14.gif, but I don't think I got
it from that site, but rather downloaded it from Usenet (probably)
around December 1997, and didn't save the attribution info on the
Usenet posting (if any). All I had was a file named XSILH142.GIF on my
disk, with no source info. I'll credit you if you want...

Sablesword

Feb 5, 2006, 8:22:41 PM2/5/06

No, that's OK. I was just interested in tracking the migration of the
files.

Qabalkar

Feb 11, 2006, 1:20:47 PM2/11/06
>Well, I tried to read the quasi-Phoenician inscription you included
>in one of your pics a while back, but apparently I wasn't too
>successful because you changed the values of a lot of the letters of
>that alphabet from consonants to vowels ;-)

When I was toying with a Phoenician-based morphology for Gorean, I did
in fact do just that! I didn't want to simple transpose an Earth
language.

I have little confidence, however, that my use of that type of
morphology really captured the nature of common Gorean.