Kathy Update & Midnight House News

John Pelan

Aug 10, 2005, 3:52:08 PM8/10/05
Hi Folks:

Thanks for the good wishes here and on Shocklines and elsewhere. If
someone could be so good as to post this over at Shocklines I'd be very
appreciative. For some reason, I have difficulty accessing the E-Z
Board forums and can't post there...

First and foremost, we had terrific news today. Kathy is starting to
produce platelets on her own and the doctors are now very optimistic.
Her wound is healing and there is no sign of infection. We still have
to find a perfect-match donor for another plasma swap, but they are
anticipating being able to do so today or tomorrow. After that, she
should be well on the way to recovering.

Midnight House news is as follows: I've just taken delivery of both
STAR CHANGES and MY ROSE & MY GLOVE. The books still need to be
numbered and dustjacketed, but I anticipate getting the first batches
out Saturday. I do ask for your patience; I may be pretty good at
writing books, editing books, and publishing books; but I'm really out
of my depth at shipping books. I'll get 'em out as fast as I can, but
there's no way that I can match the standards that Kathy has set in
shipping...

Thanks,

John

Randy Money

Aug 10, 2005, 4:23:45 PM8/10/05
John Pelan wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>
> Thanks for the good wishes here and on Shocklines and elsewhere. If
> someone could be so good as to post this over at Shocklines I'd be very
> appreciative. For some reason, I have difficulty accessing the E-Z
> Board forums and can't post there...

Done.

I'm glad to hear Kathy's doing better, and surprised and impressed that
you can function well enough to even think about MH during such a
frazzling time.

Good luck to you both, John.

Randy M.

jr...@locallink.net

Aug 10, 2005, 4:34:15 PM8/10/05
Very glad to read this, John. I just made the belated announcement that
Kathy had been injured, on Horrabin Hall, because this information had
apparently recently appeared on the HWA. Glad Kathy's platelet level is
rising on its own.

Also glad to know these books will be appearing soon, but that palls in
significance.

Best,

Jim

Ian

Aug 10, 2005, 4:42:43 PM8/10/05
jpe...@qwest.net wrote:

Board forums and can't post there...

> First and foremost, we had terrific news today. Kathy is starting to
> produce platelets on her own and the doctors are now very optimistic.
> Her wound is healing and there is no sign of infection. We still have
> to find a perfect-match donor for another plasma swap, but they are
> anticipating being able to do so today or tomorrow. After that, she
> should be well on the way to recovering.

I was sorry - well shocked actually - to hear of the news of your missus in
another thread
(seeingno f/ups, I wondered for a minute if it was some hoax in
horribly bad taste, but the header looked genuine)
and pleased to hear in this one that she is doing OK.
Convey my best wishes for speedy recovery and all that , if you will.

> Midnight House news is as follows: I've just taken delivery of both
> STAR CHANGES and MY ROSE & MY GLOVE. The books still need to be
> numbered and dustjacketed, but I anticipate getting the first batches
> out Saturday. I do ask for your patience; I may be pretty good at
> writing books, editing books, and publishing books; but I'm really out
> of my depth at shipping books. I'll get 'em out as fast as I can, but
> there's no way that I can match the standards that Kathy has set in
> shipping...
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Here! Didn't I see you once make some mention of some Eric Frank
Russell stories collection on the cards?
Is this still on?

--
Ian

John Pelan

Aug 10, 2005, 5:07:10 PM8/10/05
Hi All:

I'm so elated by the turn of events that after I get home from the
hospital, I could (a.) finish the preface on the Eric Frank Russell
book or (b.) mix myself a really big white russian and sit on the deck
and watch the sunset...

Seriously; the Russell book needs a cameo from Allen and my preface and
then we're good to go.

Cheers,

John

Mark Dillon

Aug 10, 2005, 5:41:02 PM8/10/05

Thank you, John, for the very good news about Kathy.
Here's best wishes to both of you!

Mark Dillon
Quebec, Canada

kevi...@clare.ltd.new.net

Aug 10, 2005, 9:02:03 PM8/10/05
I just got back from another day of treatments. One nice thing about
getting the day's email all at once is that I get the good news right
after the bad. I am overjoyed that your wife is doing well and on the
road to recovery. I will pray for a speedy return to home and health.

Kevin L. O'Brien

John Pelan

Aug 10, 2005, 11:14:59 PM8/10/05

Thank you my friend, and I hope that the treatments aren't as taxing
as you'd feared...

Cheers,

John

v.ha...@comcast.net

Aug 11, 2005, 2:42:07 AM8/11/05
I've just read about Kathy now, and I am horrified. Please know that
you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Gina Harader

chris ward

Aug 11, 2005, 7:34:32 AM8/11/05
What Randy said, John. Sorry to hear about Kathy being attacked, but
gladened to hear she is rwecovering well.

Best wishes - Crhis W

kevi...@clare.ltd.new.net

Aug 11, 2005, 8:43:38 AM8/11/05
John Pelan wrote:

> Thank you my friend, and I hope that the treatments aren't as taxing
> as you'd feared...

The first couple of weeks were rough, but I'm starting to adjust. The
staff psychologist who has been counseling me has been encouraging me
to keep up with my former hobbies, and that has been a big help in
keeping my spirits high. Most likely there will be times when I will
feel worse and others when I will feel pretty good, but so far it's not
been as bad as I thought it would be.

Kevin L. O'Brien

smee

Aug 11, 2005, 8:49:04 AM8/11/05
Terrible news about Kathy, but I'm glad to hear her condition has
improved. Like others, hoping for a quick recovery and return home.

Yrs,

Michael

jr...@locallink.net

Aug 11, 2005, 10:58:18 AM8/11/05
Glad you are tolerating treatment fairly well and that your caregivers
had enough sense to manage your treatment holistically, Kevin. This has
been shown to not only lessen the stress on patients and their loved
ones, but also to significantly improve outcomes. Unfortunately, not
all cancer treatment programs are equally conscientious about this.

Jim

ram...@ramsey-campbell.com

Aug 12, 2005, 10:16:49 AM8/12/05
Just this minute heard about Kathy. Give her my best! Glad to hear
she's recovering!