The Big Goodbye

kevi...@clare.ltd.new.net

Jul 20, 2005, 9:41:00 PM7/20/05
I got a call from my doctor today. It seems I have cancer. We caught
it early enough that the prognosis is favorable, but it is inoperable,
so I will have to fight it with chemo. The drawback is that the
treatments will be debilitating, especially for the first year. As
such, I doubt I will have the strength most of the time to keep up on
Usenet.

So this will be my last post, except for occasional updates on
Lindisfarne Press and Crypt of Cthulhu.

And no matter what Barker claims, I won't be coming back in the form of
a sockpuppet.

Kevin L. O'Brien

james...@bigpond.com

Jul 20, 2005, 10:29:54 PM7/20/05
Kevin, I'm very sorry to hear that. The good news is that it was
detected early. I hope to see you back here shortly.

James

Christopher Roden

Jul 20, 2005, 10:30:17 PM7/20/05

Kevin,
All best wishes during what, I know, is going to be a very difficult
period. Our thoughts are with you.

Christopher

smee

Jul 20, 2005, 10:38:41 PM7/20/05
Kevin:

This is indeed sad news, but I'll keep good thoughts. And I hope you'll
be back with us as soon as possible.

Yrs,

Michael

John Pelan

Jul 20, 2005, 11:41:07 PM7/20/05
On 20 Jul 2005 18:41:00 -0700, kevi...@clare.ltd.new.net wrote:

Kevin:

My hopes for a speedy recovery.

Cheers,

John

Lesmond

Jul 21, 2005, 12:51:11 AM7/21/05
On 20 Jul 2005 18:41:00 -0700, kevi...@clare.ltd.new.net wrote:

>I got a call from my doctor today. It seems I have cancer. We caught
>it early enough that the prognosis is favorable, but it is inoperable,
>so I will have to fight it with chemo. The drawback is that the
>treatments will be debilitating, especially for the first year. As
>such, I doubt I will have the strength most of the time to keep up on
>Usenet.

You don't know me, but please accept my best thoughts and wishes. I hope for
only the best for you. Good luck. And when you have the time and strength,
please let us know how it's going.

--
Even now in Heaven there are angels carrying savage weapons.

v.ha...@comcast.net

Jul 21, 2005, 12:52:01 AM7/21/05
I'm so sorry to read this news. My best wishes and prayers to you for
a speedy recovery.

Gina Harader

williemeikle

Jul 21, 2005, 3:24:33 AM7/21/05
Sorry to hear that Kevin.

Keep your chin up, and drop me a line if you need anything... my dad's
in chemo at the moment and I know something of what you'll be going
through.

Willie

chris ward

Jul 21, 2005, 4:12:25 AM7/21/05
Hello Kevin,

I just wish to repeat the best wishes already offered by other folks.
So here is to a speedy & full recovery.

- Chris W

ram...@ramsey-campbell.com

Jul 21, 2005, 6:06:44 AM7/21/05
Bear up, Kevin! Thank heaven it was diagnosed in time. But keep writing
and publishing.

Carnacki The Ghost-Finder

Jul 21, 2005, 7:12:45 AM7/21/05
Well, seeing as I've been referenced in the original post, I think I'm
entitled to respond to this rather theatrically titled thread.

Bearing in mind that KLOB has painted himself into a corner, and once
again been exposed as a liar; and bearing in mind that his Lindisfarne
Press has long been in a state of collapse; I think people should be
sceptical of believing this new claim. Timing is all, as some would
argue.

Those living in the UK will be aware of the following two news stories
in the last couple of years. When the annoying 'chav' model Jordan's
popularity began to wane, her agent (Max Clifford I believe) 'leaked'
the information to the tabloids that she was battling against cancer.
The public went into a state of mourning, or at least Sun readers did.
The fact that it was later revealed that the cancer was in fact a tiny
benign mole or wart on one of her fingers is testament to the power of
the press. Then earlier this year there was the case of the man living
in England who told his friends and family that he had terminal cancer
and only a short time to live. They all clubbed together and raised
money for him, sending the man off on a dream holiday, as well as
showering him with sympathy and gifts. When it was later revealed that
he had lied, he was arrested and thrown into chokey.

Now, I'm not saying that O'Brien is lying, but I am saying that people
have and do lie about such matters. Nobody here is in a position to
validate KLOB's claim, and if he returns in a few months fully
recovered, then still no one will know if he was telling the truth.
KLOB has already demonstrated that he is prepared to lie about
possessing documents and papers from lawyers which several people know
to not exist. He is also at a low ebb after being repeatedly outed as a
liar, and with his publishing company. At the very least I would urge
caution, lest this group suddenly loses all reason and its members
start acting like those impassioned and aggressive Princess Diana
mourners who physically attacked cynics for expressing similar
concerns.

If anyone else - and I mean anyone, including the foul-mouthed Pelan -
had made this claim, I would have been prepared to believe them. KLOB
is the one person who because of his recent behaviour might just be
crazy enough to lie about so serious an issue.

CB

ram...@ramsey-campbell.com

Jul 21, 2005, 7:23:10 AM7/21/05
How contemptible.

Ian

Jul 21, 2005, 7:23:58 AM7/21/05
kevi...@clare.ltd.new.net wrote:

> I got a call from my doctor today. It seems I have cancer. We caught
> it early enough that the prognosis is favorable, but it is inoperable,
> so I will have to fight it with chemo. The drawback is that the
> treatments will be debilitating, especially for the first year. As

> And no matter what Barker claims, I won't be coming back in the form of
> a sockpuppet.
>
> Kevin L. O'Brien

oH, Jeez, that's a nasty blow. Spotting it early is a big plus
in your favor, though, and the improved treatments they're coming
out with all the time also greatly shorten the odds.
That bastard disease killed my wife just a year ago, and I know
from her chemotherapy/radiation treatment how it weakens you, but if
you're in good shape to start with, you'll be OK.
And ... you still have your sense of humor, and that's invaluable in
coping with illness.
Keep us posted on how it's going, and maybe we'll let you back in
when you're fighting fit again!
--
Ian

Carnacki The Ghost-Finder

Jul 21, 2005, 7:39:37 AM7/21/05

ram...@ramsey-campbell.com wrote:
> How contemptible.

KLOB is the achetypal boy-who-cried-wolf. I find your own possible
gullibility and intolerance of alternative viewpoints contemptible.

One of the biggest problems with this newgsroup is that it is haunted
by drama queens with super-sensitive egos (that's why we can't discuss
issues like genre awards or nepotism without several of you swinging
your handbags around). If you are capable of putting aside your
emotional responses and inate prejudice for one moment, you must accept
that several people from different backgrounds have direct first-hand
experience of KLOB's lying ways. Or do you believe that Mike Tice and
Aaron Vanek lied? Because if you do, now is the time to speak out.

Given this propensity to lie, it is far from 'contemptible' to express
scepticism about KLOB's alleged illness, especially given the timing.
If you had any recent experience of working in a 'normal' workplace,
you would be aware that it is increasingly common for poor workers to
fake illness to escape censure for under-performance. There must be
thousands of such cases in the UK. And it is the job of managers,
employers and personnel departments to probe into these matters to get
at the truth, precisely because people often do cry wolf.

Mr Campbell, you are on the verge of using KLOB's alleged illness to
score cheap points against an enemy. I think this reflects very poorly
on you.

CB

Carnacki The Ghost-Finder

Jul 21, 2005, 7:45:24 AM7/21/05

kevi...@clare.ltd.new.net

Jul 21, 2005, 9:51:39 AM7/21/05
I begin my treatments today and I have a bit of time before I have to
go to the hospital, so I wanted to express my thanks for all the
sympathy and good wishes I have received. It is much appreciated.

As for Barker's comments, I expected him to respond as he did,
especially his attempt to imply that my announcement was another
indication of my so called mental imbalance. I recommend that the rest
of you just ignore him, at least in this thread. He's just looking for
attention.

I do, however, want to make one observation. People on both ABGF and
AHC remarked that they could see no difference between Barker and
myself. Here is the difference: had it been Barker who made this
announcement, I would have wished him God's blessings for himself and
his family and would have hoped for a speedy and complete recovery.
Just as I wished him luck and success with his new book, despite his
denigration of Lindisfarne Press. Just as I recommended that the
people on AHC buy *The Dreams of Cardinal Vittorini*, despite his
denigration of the books I have published. The difference between us
is, that Barker assumes and expects the worst of people, whereas I
assume and expect the best. And even when people like Barker prove
that they are incapable of charity and generosity, I still treat them
generously and charitably whenever possible.

One final thought. Long before I came onto ABGF, I had been involved
in numerous creation/evolution discussion groups, including
talk.origins on Usenet. None of the groups were moderated, and all of
them had there resident Barker-clone, sometimes more than one. I
noticed that those groups who tried to ignore the Barker-clone were
constantly disrupted by his or her vitriol, with inevitable
consequences like we see here on ABGF and AHC, including people blaming
those defending themselves against the vitriol for those consequences.
Whereas those groups in which the members --- evolutionists and
creationists alike --- banded together to drive the Barker clone from
their midst were much more stable and pleasant in the long term even if
they had intense rankor for the short term. Just something to think
about.

Well, I have to be off. I don't know when I can post again, but I
appreciate your support. Thank you.

Kevin L. O'Brien

Randy Money

Jul 21, 2005, 10:04:57 AM7/21/05
Good luck, Kevin. I hope the treatments work speedily and well. If you
can, when you can, let us know how you are faring.

Randy M.

huw....@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2005, 10:24:03 AM7/21/05
I hope you make a speedy recovery, Kevin.

Best wishes,
Huw

Phil Payes

Jul 21, 2005, 10:52:17 AM7/21/05
Where is the web site where one can wish cancer on someone Chris?

"Carnacki The Ghost-Finder" <haunte...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Mark Dillon

Jul 21, 2005, 2:01:21 PM7/21/05

Hang in there, Kevin. A friend of the family, now in his sixties,
underwent treatment for cancer -- and he came out the winner.
He feels better, more energetic, more alive today than he has
in years... and it looks as if he'll be around to enjoy that liveliness
for years and years to come.

So best wishes to you, and all hopes for a long, productive life.

Mark Dillon
Quebec, Canada

John Pelan

Jul 21, 2005, 2:04:00 PM7/21/05
Barker, I've always suspected that you were a nasty little man, thanks
for proving it beyond any shadow of a doubt. I pity your family. You
are without a doubt the most contemptible individual that I've ever run
across. I would hope that from this point forward everyone on this
newsgroup ignores you utterly, consigning you to the status of pariah
that you so richly deserve.

Ian

Jul 21, 2005, 3:02:50 PM7/21/05
jpe...@qwest.net wrote:

I had already decided to do just this at around 10 this morning,
having just read that (no adjective strong enough) message.
Others will just have to make up their own minds about following suit.
--
Ian

Carnacki The Ghost-Finder

Jul 21, 2005, 3:23:39 PM7/21/05
It may come as something of a surprise to you, but I am supremely
indifferent to what you might think about me. Being shouted at by you
is like being heckled in the street by a drunken tramp. It's only when
you start telling lies or abusing your position at the Horror Writers
Association that I think about getting involved.

It isn't 'nasty' to be sceptical about KLOB's alleged illness, it is
pure common sense. Besides, I have done and still do enough good and
charitable turns in my private life for my conscience to be clear that
I am farther from 'nasty' than you could ever hope to be. The mile wide
streak of arrogance which forms the basis of your character, as perhaps
best typified by your sexist and offensive boast "I've helped launch
more careers than you've had pieces of ass", proves beyond all
reasonable doubt that you are the sort of person who is only charitable
when he senses profit in it.

No, the most you can say about my comments is that they were cynical,
so perhaps it would be a judicious time to quote someone who very
occasionally cuts through to the truth:

Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not
as they ought to be.

Ambrose Bierce

Carnacki The Ghost-Finder

Jul 21, 2005, 3:59:11 PM7/21/05
You are a stupid liar, KLOB. If you think I'm expressing scepticism
about your illness because *I* want attention, then you are also mad.

Excuse me, but you are clearly the attention-seeker here. You certainly
seem to be milking the situation to attack me, even though everyone who
counts knows that you lied to try and protect John Pelan's damaged
reputation. You *know* I have just cause for distrusting you.

If I was diagnosed with cancer I wouldn't milk it to attack my enemies,
and nor do I think would broadcast it on the internet to everyone in
the world. You seemed to have rushed online to impart the news, just at
the moment when John Pelan's own attorney had inadvertently disclosed
that you had been lying again.

Yet instead of switching off your pc, forgetting about silly internet
squabbles, and turning to your friends and family for support, you
swiftly log on to ABGF and drop your alleged bombshell.

It is perfectly logical to surmise that if you had decided to leave
usenet of your own accord after having been given such a battering by
so many people for lying, that you then thought you would try and 'take
me out' in the process, by faking an illness no one can verify. This
would be great revenge and it would assist your crush John Pelan. And
it would be shrewd to invent an illness which whilst securing you
sympathy, would still enable you to return in the near future. After
all, you invented fake letters from Chaosium's lawyers and fake emails
from ISOMEDIA's legal counsel: faking a virtual illness is merely the
next rung on the ladder.

It would certainly explain the timing and the theatrical nature of your
announcement. Besides, *anyone* could have easily predicted that I
would respond sceptically. Curiously, instead of just shrugging off my
cynical comments as someone facing 'the big goodbye' might be expected
to, you respond with a detailed attack, suggesting that if you are in
the throes of anxiety and a deep reflection upon mortality, that you
are still perfectly able to focus upon arguing and trying to manipulate
a situation in your typical fashion.

Cough up some proof of your illness and I will be willing to accept
that you are ill. I won't apologise for what I've said - which despite
the wild ravings of some, has only been to express scepticism, based
upon your well-established modus operandi - but I will respect the
fact.

Colombo...erm, I mean CB.

waggaw...@yahoo.com.au

Jul 21, 2005, 5:06:07 PM7/21/05

Carnacki The Ghost-Finder wrote:
> You are a stupid liar, KLOB. If you think I'm expressing scepticism

>> Cough up some proof of your illness and I will be willing to accept
> that you are ill. I won't apologise for what I've said - which despite
> the wild ravings of some, has only been to express scepticism, based
> upon your well-established modus operandi - but I will respect the
> fact.
>
> Colombo...erm, I mean CB.

Kevin

I am sorry to hear of your illness, and I don't believe for one moment
what you have posted is false! But I can, honestly, identify with what
you must be going through.

It seems you have some hope for the future?

Is it, in these circumstances any help to hear about the problems of
others, perhaps, perhaps not?

Just over a year ago I was told I was dying (August 2004) - Cancer,
they said. No hope. I was given a space of time to continue with my
life, obviously. The one fact that came as a damn surprise to me, is
from that moment on I had no sympathy for myself, but spent my time
sorting my affairs so that after my death the transition would be as
easy as possible for my nearest and dearest.

It was the effect of my death on them that upset me and motivated me
the most.

I didn't have a treatment option, old son.

And I'm still surprised that my only concern was for others - not
for myself (bearing in mind what a selfish bastard I am!!).

I've organised (or rather reorganised) my will, who gets what, my
kids and my relationship with them, and I've also taken on more work
than I should be able to cope with - but by God I have coped with it
because one way or another I need to take care of all my damn
dependants!

I've also shot to shite the timetable of events originally proposed
for me by consultants and doctors.

I go to a Gym each day, evening or early morning for two hours - and
I do mean every day! I eat a vegetarian diet - Lord I never could eat
anything that hadn't once had a face. And when things are really
really bad on the pain front, I take pills that shift me beyond the
Twilight Zone. I do try to keep that to a minimum.

Beyond that I work myself ragged (I'm talking 18 - 7, old chap) -
and I tell you for what it's worth, I'm going to be around making a
damn pest of my bloody self for a while to come. Honest. But,
obviously, not forever.

I'm determined to live three times the length of time I've been
given. I need to see my oldest kids settled and have kids. I'm
determined to get each one of the Midnight House Curt Siodmak volumes
(Christ the guy wrote "Donovan's Brain", didn't he?) but I've
had problems ordering them direct (can't seem to get them via my
normal suppliers). But I'll over come the problems of my own PC
protection and Pay Pal and get the bloody books (though there's
always the fear that I fail in my objective, and "me" specific
books continue to arrive with my dependants after I've gone - which
would be not pleasant).

But I will do it.

As I'm sure that you will do it, Kevin.

Bloody good luck, old son, and never never say die!

james...@bigpond.com

Jul 21, 2005, 5:42:53 PM7/21/05
Sounds like a very gutsy life you're living that puts our own petty
squabbles into some sort of perspective.

The Unreal Franklin

Jul 21, 2005, 5:51:35 PM7/21/05

In my wildest dreams:

1.) Most people would killfile Barker (as I have)...
2.) Those who either can't killfile Barker, or who for whatever obscure
reason *won't* killfile him, would at least stop quoting him in their

Please, please, PLEASE make my dreams a reality!!!

Shiflet

Jul 21, 2005, 7:41:28 PM7/21/05
Well, I went to the other group because I wasn't sure what you guys were
talking about. Sorry to hear about your illness, Kevin. I wish you a
speedy and successful recovery. My dad is probably getting ready to have
part of his lung removed so I truly sympathize. Hang in there and do what
you need to do for yourself. You'll be in my thoughts.

Ian

Jul 21, 2005, 7:50:29 PM7/21/05
fran...@fastmail.co.uk wrote:

> > Others will just have to make up their own minds about following suit.
>
> In my wildest dreams:
>
> 1.) Most people would killfile Barker (as I have)...
> 2.) Those who either can't killfile Barker, or who for whatever obscure
> reason *won't* killfile him, would at least stop quoting him in their
>
> Please, please, PLEASE make my dreams a reality!!!

You can rest assured you won't see me quoting his text from now
on, since I won't' be reading or replying to anything he posts.
Actually, I can set my KILLfile to d/load only the headers of
followups with quoted text of any given user, which is what you
want, but I don't htink most
usenet reading software can do this.
Stay cool
--
Ian

Jim Rockhill

Jul 22, 2005, 6:25:28 PM7/22/05
Sorry to read about your illness, Kevin. My prayers and best wishes go out
to your during this ordeal.

Jim

Otzchiim

Jul 23, 2005, 11:15:13 AM7/23/05
Wishes for a fast and complete recovery. We need sensible people.

Mark Owings

tomswif...@yahoo.com

Jul 23, 2005, 6:46:28 PM7/23/05

Carnacki The Ghost-Finder wrote...

> Well, seeing as I've been referenced in the original post, I think I'm
> entitled to respond to this rather theatrically titled thread.

Thank the gods your original post will be kept on Google Groups. Now
anytime anyone in any Usenet group whoever has a question about your
miserable existence in this universe, you can now be quote in full to
demonstrate your wrapped and digusting personality.

You're a extremely vile, fucked-up, nasty piece of worm shit, Barker.

-Tom Sr.

tomswif...@yahoo.com

Jul 23, 2005, 6:55:09 PM7/23/05
This post, Chris Barker, is so if you have deleted your original post
from Google Groups, the truth will remain there for others to see from
now on.

Your words of foulness will continue to exist as proof of your
preversity, Chris Barker.

-Tom Sr.

=======================

From: "Carnacki The Ghost-Finder" <hauntedri...@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.books.ghost-fiction,alt.horror.cthulhu
Subject: Re: The Big Goodbye
Date: 21 Jul 2005 04:12:45 -0700

CB

tomswif...@yahoo.com

Jul 23, 2005, 7:02:00 PM7/23/05

One for time, Chris Barker, for the truth and history.

-Tom Sr.

From: "Carnacki The Ghost-Finder" <hauntedri...@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.books.ghost-fiction,alt.horror.cthulhu
Date: 21 Jul 2005 04:12:45 -0700