Childe Morgan

Bedrich Hajek

Jan 16, 2006, 9:39:01 PM1/16/06
What is the latest on the Childe Morgan novel?
When will it be ready and released?

Shiral

Jan 17, 2006, 1:56:42 AM1/17/06
Last I heard from KK, it was positively due on her editor's desk on
January 3rd. I haven't heard from KK whether she made this deadline.
If she did, we're probably looking at a late 2006 release.

Melissa

Alice

Jan 17, 2006, 9:06:21 PM1/17/06
I was wondering if anyone had any idea up to what year or major event
the second Childe Morgan book might end with? I think the third and
last one is supposed to cover up to when the Marluk invasion took place
in 1105/1106?

jerry

Jan 17, 2006, 10:08:25 PM1/17/06

Last word I heard was this book will go to Kelson's birth so will
include the Marluk episode. The third book goes up to the start of
Deryni Rising.

jerry

Julianne Toomey-Kautz

Jan 17, 2006, 10:21:17 PM1/17/06
She finished the book. I *think* it was on time, but can't recall for
sure. My brain is mushy (see previous post, "way off topic" if you're
wondering why).
***************
blessed be, Julianne

jerry

Jan 18, 2006, 6:20:21 AM1/18/06

Julianne Toomey-Kautz wrote:
> She finished the book. I *think* it was on time, but can't recall for
> sure. My brain is mushy (see previous post, "way off topic" if you're
> wondering why).
> ***************
> blessed be, Julianne

Good news that she did finish it. I think though that it was WAY late
which is why they brought out Deryni Checkmate. I think originally she
was to have the book in by this past summer.

julianne you and your family are in our prayers

jerry

Shiral

Jan 19, 2006, 8:56:35 PM1/19/06
I heard from KK tonight. She has finished and turned in the novel. =o)
Which means we can shortly put some updates on the Website, including a
new progress report from Herself in the next weeks and months. (Yes, we
know, the site is VERY much behind the times.)

Melissa

tenworld

Jan 20, 2006, 4:13:37 PM1/20/06

will this will include the Marluk story rewritten or is that in the
third book?

Shiral

Jan 20, 2006, 6:52:10 PM1/20/06
I don't know, but since Alaric was still in his early teens during that
episode, I suspect it will be in this one. I think she meant to carry
this book up to the point of Kelson's birth or shortly after, in 1106.
I'm also curious to read the story of Brion and Jehana's courtship and
marriage and the Great Falling Out between her and Morgan. Which
happens BECAUSE Morgan helps Brion fight the Marluk.

Melissa

Irene

Jan 23, 2006, 12:33:15 AM1/23/06
Excellent news.
This one will also have Duncan in it, correct?

Irene

"Shiral" <shir...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Irene

Shiral

Jan 23, 2006, 1:58:21 AM1/23/06
Don't see how she can avoid it, considering Duncan and Alaric grew up
together. =o) Although the emphasis will be on Alaric, I believe.

Melissa

Irene

Jan 23, 2006, 2:18:52 AM1/23/06
I am looking forward to it. They are such close friends (brothers really) as
adults that I always thought that they had to be close as children as well.
I hope we get to read about them finding out about their gifts.

"Shiral" <shir...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

snuffybear

Jan 23, 2006, 5:52:48 AM1/23/06
Well,I'm sure it'll still be a good book, even if the emphasis is on
Alaric. ;) After all, I think the Arilans are supposed to be in it,
too, aren't they?

Marion

Mary Alice Kropp

Jan 23, 2006, 10:02:23 AM1/23/06
> Well,I'm sure it'll still be a good book, even if the emphasis is on
> Alaric. ;)

Oh, Marion, I'm sure he was just an insufferable, -umm, I mean, *adorbale*-
child

>After all, I think the Arilans are supposed to be in it,
> too, aren't they?

Saving the story from all that perfection, I'm sure.... ;)

-Mak
http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/mak
http://www.livejournal.com/users/2ndsoprano

http://www.chilicats.com

Time is that quality of nature which keeps events from happening all at
once. Lately it doesn't seem to be working.
-- Anonymous

Melissa Houle

Jan 23, 2006, 2:11:59 PM1/23/06

Mary Alice Kropp <journ...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Well,I'm sure it'll still be a good book, even if the emphasis is on
> > Alaric. ;)
>
> Oh, Marion, I'm sure he was just an insufferable, -umm, I mean,
*adorbale*-
> child
>
> >After all, I think the Arilans are supposed to be in it,
> > too, aren't they?
>
> Saving the story from all that perfection, I'm sure.... ;)
>
> -Mak
"Adorbale"?? Let's see anyone say Denis Arilan is Adorbale...whatever that
means. <EG>

Yes, the Snooty umm....superior, ummmmm... RESPECTABLE Arilan family will
also be in Childe Morgan.

Melissa

jerry

Jan 24, 2006, 6:47:15 AM1/24/06
Now Now children Play nice. Maybe this book will show us how Morgan
got is superior attitude about himself. He seemed like a good kid in
Swords against the Marluk so I guess we will have to wait until the
next book to see where he made the wrong turn.

jerry

Wesley Struebing

Jan 24, 2006, 7:26:07 PM1/24/06

Wrong turn, indeed! He just found his sea-legs!

<grin>

--

Wes Struebing

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Shana Ray

Jan 24, 2006, 9:08:42 PM1/24/06
Wrong turn? *rolls eyes* But I like Alaric. He's the main reason I read
these books.

Mary Alice Kropp

Jan 25, 2006, 9:33:01 AM1/25/06
> Wrong turn? *rolls eyes* But I like Alaric. He's the main reason I read
> these books.

Another one... *sigh* :)

http://www.chilicats.com

My children asked me if they were gifted. I told them I certainly wouldn't
have paid for them!

Shiral

Jan 25, 2006, 1:23:19 PM1/25/06
See? Shana Ray is obviously a person who likes her swashbucklers, as
opposed to a priest who behaves as if he sat down on broken glass. =o)

Melissa

tenworld

Jan 25, 2006, 3:37:23 PM1/25/06
me too. i think of the series as Morgan's story

Mary Alice Kropp

Jan 25, 2006, 5:54:28 PM1/25/06
> See? Shana Ray is obviously a person who likes her swashbucklers, as
> opposed to a priest who behaves as if he sat down on broken glass. =o)

Swashbucklers are a dime a dozen, and overrated, at that. Pardon me if I
prefer a more reserved, intelligent type... :P

http://www.chilicats.com

Time is that quality of nature which keeps events from happening all at

Kim

Jan 25, 2006, 6:23:07 PM1/25/06
What time, exactly, does this book take place? Is Derry in it? Because,
as much as I adore Morgan, Derry is my favorite character to read. He's
been so traumatized, and before then, he was just fun! :0)

Julianne Toomey-Kautz

Jan 25, 2006, 7:17:41 PM1/25/06

Shiral wrote:
> opposed to a priest who behaves as if he sat down on broken glass. =o)

ooooh, ouch, Melissa!

Although I'm inclined to agree.

Otoh, I don't get involved in this debate (surrrre, right!) because my
preference comes from Camber's time period. ;)
***************
blessed be, Julianne

snuffybear

Jan 25, 2006, 8:20:43 PM1/25/06

Uh, Jerry - that was playing nice. The Arilan/Alaric discussion can get
pretty heated. Alaric fans are so irrational over Duke Mr. Perfect,
whereas the Arilan fans appreciate a character with complexity...

You're right, though, he did seem like a good kid in Swords. Either
way, I'm looking forward to this next book!

Marion

Shiral

Jan 25, 2006, 9:54:13 PM1/25/06
Hi Kim,

This book will probably start in the 1090's and cover Morgan's
childhood and adolescence up to approximately 1106 or1107, so Derry
probably won't be in it. But he'll be in the third book of the series.
=o)

Melissa

jerry

Jan 26, 2006, 6:49:32 AM1/26/06
Yeah, I know was just hoping to at least keep the argu uh discussion
on a lower key. Why anyone would ague in favor of either is beyond me
but to each their own. (I am like Julianne, I think the best
characters are in the Camber era)

In some ways I think the third will be more interesting than this
second one. It will undoubtedly set up a lot of the political
situations that will plague Kelson. We should see more of Wencit and
maybe how Coram did his Rhydon assumption. And another war with Meara
if I am not mistaken.

jerry

snuffybear

Jan 26, 2006, 10:53:44 PM1/26/06
>See? Shana Ray is obviously a person who likes her swashbucklers, as
>opposed to a priest who behaves as if he sat down on broken glass. =o)

>Melissa

Anybody can swash a buckle, but only the select few can pull off
sitting on broken glass. I like Arilan because I'm never sure how he's
going to act. Alaric's always going to be insufferably noble and always
right.

Marion

Mary Alice Kropp

Jan 26, 2006, 11:43:45 PM1/26/06
> Anybody can swash a buckle, but only the select few can pull off
> sitting on broken glass. I like Arilan because I'm never sure how he's
> going to act. Alaric's always going to be insufferably noble and always
> right.

Exactly, Marion. And he is often the one who will voice what everyone else
is thinking, but are too "nice" or afraid to say out loud.

http://www.chilicats.com

Time is that quality of nature which keeps events from happening all at

Ancrene

Jan 27, 2006, 10:57:44 AM1/27/06
Personally, I don't think Denis Arilan is "stuffy" without reason, and I
like him. :-)
But I like Alaric Morgan, too. ... and Duncan... and I think Dhugal is a
hoot.

My very favourite characters, however, are from the Heirs of Saint Camber
era. These and the Camber books are my preferred read, though I enjoy the
Kelson / Alaric series, too.

Shiral

Jan 27, 2006, 12:30:22 PM1/27/06

snuffybear wrote:

> Anybody can swash a buckle, but only the select few can pull off
> sitting on broken glass.

> Marion

Maybe because most people are sensible enough to get right back up? =o)

As to saying what everyone else is thinking, okay, I like that aspect
of Arilan. What irritates me about him is his self-appointed
guardianship of "justifiable" use of Deryni powers, and unwilling to
grant that Duncan and Alaric can make their own decisions on that
matter without his needing to be their nanny. Alaric has been at court
for several years, he's an adult. If he had been wildly irresponsible
in the use of his powers all along, he never would have lasted as long
as he did. And Duncan was able to survive in the very Deryni-unfriendly
atmosphere of the church, just as Arilan did. Before he revealed
himself to them as Deryni, Arilan had to let them make their own
decisions about their conduct. But ever since then, he doesn't seem to
have any faith in their judgement.

Melissa

Mary Alice Kropp

Jan 27, 2006, 8:45:07 PM1/27/06
I don't see it that way, Melissa. To me, it's Alaric who gets all wrapped up
in his own little "crusades" and doesn't always see the ramifications of his
actions. And he tends to drag Duncan along with him. Or maybe just all those
years of hanging around with Alaric have made Duncan a bit hasty, as well.
What Alaric needs is someone- Denis, in this case- to make him see those
sometimes long term effects.

And I see Alaric developing his own huffy attitude about some things Deryni.
If Denis or the Council have any sort of opinion, he assumes it's wrong.
And I think he's being just as unfair in that respect as anyone on the
"other side." Which is another point- Alaric seems to have decided that
there are sides- his and theirs. It should be "ours," as in Deryni in
general. Automatic antagonism doesn't help.

All that aside, as I have said on many other occasions, it's not that I
dislike Alaric. I like him well enough. He's just not my first choice. As
Marion is fond of saying, he's just a little too perfect for my taste.

http://www.chilicats.com

Time is that quality of nature which keeps events from happening all at

Irene

Jan 27, 2006, 10:36:06 PM1/27/06
"Ancrene" <anc...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> Personally, I don't think Denis Arilan is "stuffy" without reason, and I
> like him. :-)
> But I like Alaric Morgan, too. ... and Duncan... and I think Dhugal is a
> hoot.

I'm with you. I love Alaric and Duncan's close friendship and their
adventures together. Arilan is OK, a good foil for them. Dhughal is great!

It's Kelson I can't stand! That whiny brat needs a good kick in the ass :-)

Ancrene

Jan 28, 2006, 10:24:44 AM1/28/06
"Irene" <spam...@yahoo.mail> wrote in message

> I'm with you. I love Alaric and Duncan's close friendship and their
> adventures together. Arilan is OK, a good foil for them. Dhughal is great!
>
> It's Kelson I can't stand! That whiny brat needs a good kick in the ass
> :-)

Oh, definitely. Reminds me of how badly I wanted to give Anakin a darn good
slap in "Attack of the Clones"!! ::ROFL::

I think Kelson is great most of the time, and has dealt with having to
assume royal responsibility very well on the whole, but he does have those
'adolescent' tendencies - probably because he *is* adolescent during most of
the books. :-)

He also suffers hero-worship of Alaric, which I feel clouds his judgement on
occasion.

Shiral

Jan 28, 2006, 4:03:59 PM1/28/06
Actually, I liked Kelson better AS an adolescent. I thought he dealt
with the trauma of essentially and suddenly losing both parents, and
having to function as an adult in a complex world with a lot of
maturity. Okay, granted he was disappointed in love in KKB, but he
spent WAY too long whining about it, and seemed to regress back to age
fourteen concerning that. But, when he WAS fourteen, he dealt with
assuming the kingship with the maturity of a 21 year old.

I wouldn't have minded an outburst of grief now and then on account of
Rothana in KKB, as he and she truly did get a raw deal thanks to
Conall, but not a three year sulk! I would have thought that Alaric,
Duncan and Dhugal would have ALL given him some frank and bracing "Buck
up camper" talks, rather than tolerate that behavior from Kelson. None
of his closest friends strike me as being willing to endure a lot of
whining from anybody.

Re Hero worship of Alaric... well, that I can understand. Here was
this charismatic friend of his father's who obviously also cared for
Kelson himself deeply. Alaric is just the sort of person a growing boy
WOULD naturally want to emulate. And Jehana's disapproval of Morgan
would only have made Morgan more attractive in Kelson's eyes. There's
also no denying that when Kelson needed him most, Morgan came through
for him. He knows he can rely absolutely on Morgan's loyalty, and on
Duncan's and Dhugal's. But as I said above, Kelson's three closest
friends would have done him a great service if any or all of them had
sat him down and said "Grow up, this mooning about over this woman is
not typical of you. Yes, you got a raw deal, but you're a grown man,
act like one!" And if they hadn't done that for Kelson, Nigel certainly
should have.

Hopefully Araxie won't let Kelson get away with mooning about or
whining.... Presumably, she keeps him busy with all the babies she
produces.

Melissa

Julianne Toomey-Kautz

Jan 28, 2006, 7:59:45 PM1/28/06
Irene wrote:
> It's Kelson I can't stand! That whiny brat needs a good kick in the ass :-)

And if you think that about Kelson, I shudder to wonder what you must
think about Cinhil, who really needs a good shot upside the head!
***********
blessed be, Julianne

Ancrene

Jan 29, 2006, 6:24:47 AM1/29/06

> Actually, I liked Kelson better AS an adolescent. I thought he dealt
> with the trauma of essentially and suddenly losing both parents, and
> having to function as an adult in a complex world with a lot of
> maturity. Okay, granted he was disappointed in love in KKB, but he
> spent WAY too long whining about it, and seemed to regress back to age
> fourteen concerning that. But, when he WAS fourteen, he dealt with
> assuming the kingship with the maturity of a 21 year old.

<snipped>

:: round of applause ::
Very well argued, Melissa.

I never said, or meant to suggest, that there wasn't reason for Kelson's
hero-worship of Alaric; he is, after all, a father-figure to Kelson - along
with Nigel, of course. But don't we all find that hero-worship can cloud
our judgement on occasion? Those times we find ourselves asking "what would
(X) do?" can sometimes find us making a silly decision rather than a
sensible one - at least that's been my experience. ;-)

Also, there's a difference between having to behave maturely in a public
sphere and actually being emotionally mature. Personal disappointments are
always more difficult to cope with internally than showing honour in public.
Royal responsibility and how to behave with decorum will have been ingrained
in Kelson from a very early age as part of his training as the future king.

Dealing with his disappointment over the loss of Rothana was perhaps a
trigger to vent the pent up feelings of being robbed of so many things in
his life to date, starting with Brion. There was a lot of bad stuff stored
up there.

There you go... now we've rationalised his behaviour, I don't feel so bad
about Kelson having a strop - though it perhaps shouldn't have lasted as
long as it did.

Too bad there were no psychoanalysts about in the early medieval period. :-D

Melissa Houle

Jan 29, 2006, 12:46:22 PM1/29/06

jerry <jjm...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
I'm looking forward not only to Alaric, but to getting to know Brion better.
I hope and believe he'll be more likeable than Donal, although I certainly
didn't find Donal boring. (What can I say, I like a man who will get on with
breaking the eggs to make his omelettes without agonizing about it for
pages, first.) And of course, reading about the friendshp between Brion and
Alaric. =o)

Melissa

Mark

Jan 29, 2006, 1:01:00 PM1/29/06

"jerry" <jjm...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

<SNIPPITY>

> Why anyone would ague in favor of either is beyond me
> but to each their own. (I am like Julianne, I think the best
> characters are in the Camber era)

Here Here!
They all seemed much more developed during the original cycle of camber
novels.....not so much in the later ones, probably as a function of more
characters sharing screen time sort of speak (no I don't want to see another
casting thread, ACK!)

-Mark

Shiral

Jan 29, 2006, 4:58:56 PM1/29/06

Ancrene wrote:

> :: round of applause ::
> Very well argued, Melissa.
>
> I never said, or meant to suggest, that there wasn't reason for Kelson's
> hero-worship of Alaric; he is, after all, a father-figure to Kelson - along
> with Nigel, of course. But don't we all find that hero-worship can cloud
> our judgement on occasion? Those times we find ourselves asking "what would
> (X) do?" can sometimes find us making a silly decision rather than a
> sensible one - at least that's been my experience. ;-)

This is true. Except, when has Alaric given Kelson truly bad advice?
There is the matter of the tension between Kelson and Co, and Arilan
and the Camberian Council, but I hold the Council equally responsible
for that. Their attitude toward Morgan and Duncan was to say the
least, not broad-minded. Instead of focusing on "Well, they're Deryni
in high places which is helpful to all our cause, and they're doing the
best they can, and we hear they can HEAL!" Kyri and Vivienne chose
instead to hone in on their being "Half-breeds" and therefor beyond
the pale. I thought the council made another, similar boo-boo in their
attitude toward Jessamy. They treated her with hostility and suspicion
as Lewys ap Norfal's daughter, when a bit of sympathy and understanding
from them toward her might have made an ally of Jessamy, instead.

> Also, there's a difference between having to behave maturely in a public
> sphere and actually being emotionally mature. Personal disappointments are
> always more difficult to cope with internally than showing honour in public.
> Royal responsibility and how to behave with decorum will have been ingrained
> in Kelson from a very early age as part of his training as the future king.
>
> Dealing with his disappointment over the loss of Rothana was perhaps a
> trigger to vent the pent up feelings of being robbed of so many things in
> his life to date, starting with Brion. There was a lot of bad stuff stored
> up there.
>
> There you go... now we've rationalised his behaviour, I don't feel so bad
> about Kelson having a strop - though it perhaps shouldn't have lasted as
> long as it did.
>
> Too bad there were no psychoanalysts about in the early medieval period. :-D

Why do I have this image of Kelson lying on the couch, being analyzed
by Sigmund Freud? =o)

Melissa

Kim

Jan 29, 2006, 6:14:31 PM1/29/06
:) I'm excited for the relationship between Brion and Alaric as well.
His death in Deryni Rising was so...sudden, and there was not really
any time for connection between reader and character. Hopefully, we'll
get plenty of reasons to love him, and he won't be as whiny and angsty
(not that there is anyting wrong with angst, mind you. I ADORE it.) as
Kelson was in KKB. :)

And in response to jerry's proposition about seeing more about Wencit,
that would be fascinating as well. Baddies generally have such
interesting histories! Childhood trauma, lost love that turned them
bitter forever, etc., etc. Could be fun!

Imladris

Jan 29, 2006, 6:27:49 PM1/29/06

Wesley Struebing wrote:
On 24 Jan 2006 03:47:15 -0800, "jerry" <jjm...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Now Now children Play nice.   Maybe this book will show us how Morgan
got is superior attitude about himself.  He seemed like a good kid in
Swords against the Marluk so I guess we will have to wait until the
next book to see where he made the wrong turn.

Wrong turn, indeed!  He just found his sea-legs!

<grin>

Sea-Legs?  Kelson never did find those, did he?

Imladris of the Healer's Green

Shiral

Jan 29, 2006, 6:29:24 PM1/29/06

Kim wrote:
> :) I'm excited for the relationship between Brion and Alaric as well.
> His death in Deryni Rising was so...sudden, and there was not really
> any time for connection between reader and character. Hopefully, we'll
> get plenty of reasons to love him, and he won't be as whiny and angsty
> (not that there is anyting wrong with angst, mind you. I ADORE it.) as
> Kelson was in KKB. :)

I thought it was rather out of character for Kelson, but then, maybe I
expected too much of him. I liked him quite a lot in DR and thought "Oh
cool, he'll be the main character--what do you MEAN he dies????" But
Brion's situation was rather different than Kelson's, as he got the
woman he wanted on the first try. (At least so far as we know.) But
then, Brion had to live with Jehana for years when SHE was at her most
difficult. Ah... so maybe THAT'S where Kelson got his adolescent
tendencies, from Mummy!.... <EG>

> And in response to jerry's proposition about seeing more about Wencit,
> that would be fascinating as well. Baddies generally have such
> interesting histories! Childhood trauma, lost love that turned them
> bitter forever, etc., etc. Could be fun!

Oh, I'm sure it will be. =o)

Melissa

Shiral

Jan 29, 2006, 6:30:37 PM1/29/06
They're always in the last place you look....

Melissa

Wesley Struebing

Jan 29, 2006, 9:00:40 PM1/29/06

Indeed! You've been reading my mind again, Julianne. (of course,
that I've posted my opinions of both Cinhil and Kelson before may have
something to do with it!)

;-)

--

Wes Struebing

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Mary Alice Kropp

Jan 29, 2006, 11:27:18 PM1/29/06
> And if you think that about Kelson, I shudder to wonder what you must
>think about Cinhil, who really needs a good shot upside the head!

Oh, lordy, yes, indeed! Had I been involved in that little caper, none of
the succeeding stories would have come about, because I would have found in
necessary to murder Cinhil myself!!!

Irene

Jan 30, 2006, 1:17:28 AM1/30/06

>> And if you think that about Kelson, I shudder to wonder what you must
>>think about Cinhil, who really needs a good shot upside the head!
>
> Oh, lordy, yes, indeed! Had I been involved in that little caper, none of
> the succeeding stories would have come about, because I would have found
> in necessary to murder Cinhil myself!!!
>
> -Mak

Shoot. You all beat me to a response. Yes, my answer was going to be that
there would be no Kelson as a result of what I would have done to Cinhil.

It's really only in KKB that he Kelson drove me crazy. I thought he was
alright in the preceding books. I could forgive his behavior at times
because he was only 14 or 17 depending on the book. He really is a nice guy.
Just probably needs some Prozac to balance him out a little :-)

Irene

Mary Alice Kropp

Jan 30, 2006, 11:50:16 AM1/30/06
> It's really only in KKB that Kelson drove me crazy.

Completely agreed. I thought Kelson was fine all throughout the preceding
stories, but that incessant whining in KKB just got on my nerves...
Especially since he had handled so much so well in his previous life, when
he was presumably less mature, and it seemed very suddenly, he regressed to
the point I would have expected when he was 14 or so. I suppose one could
make a case for this being the straw the broke the camel's back or some such
platitude, but it just annoyed the daylights out of me.

Now, Cinhil, otoh, I *never* liked. He started out whiny and got worse....

Imladris

Jan 30, 2006, 1:40:19 PM1/30/06

Mary Alice Kropp wrote:

>Now, Cinhil, otoh, I *never* liked. He started out whiny and got worse....

Yes, there were times when you had to ask: just HOW bad WERE the Festils?
[Oh, and the Sea-legs comment about Kelson was a reference to his love
of traveling by ship <g>].

I seem to recall that one of the Festillic kings whined on about not
getting to stay in the monastary also? Does make you wonder!

Imladris

Shiral

Jan 31, 2006, 4:05:09 PM1/31/06
Well... Cinhil in person was a whiny jerk, and he was awfully hard on
his wife and children. But he never committed incest (never really had
the opportunity), and once he (sort of) settled into being King, he was
a better administrator than Imre, at least. For one thing, he took the
job seriously. But he also set the stage for the anti-Deryni
backlash, and his judgement of people was faulty. His three sons paid
dearly for this paternal flaw, so it's hard to forgive Cinhil for it.
On the other hand, without Cinhil, there would have been no Javan. And
even Rhys Michael, (another Haldane I get the urge to slap silly)
redeemed himself in the end with his writing the Codicil to his will,
setting the stage for breaking the power of the regents. By the time
Rhysem dies in TBP, I always end up forgiving him for all the crap he
pulls on Javan in KJY.

Melissa

Shiral

Jan 31, 2006, 4:05:09 PM1/31/06

Julianne Toomey-Kautz

Jan 31, 2006, 4:29:26 PM1/31/06
Melissa, you're being very nice and diplomatic in your descriptions of
Cinhil's behavior here. I would've gotten down-er and dirtier in the
words I chose about him: idiot, blinded, allows his fear to rule him,
even though he should know better...

And as for Rhysem -- how stupid can he be? Yes, I know he redeemed
himself in the end, dying heroically (more or less), but if he'd paid
attention to what Javan was telling him, there wouldn't have been a need
for Rhys Michael to die heroically or otherwise... Him, I frequently
want to whap hard where it'll do the most good...
**********
blessed be, Julianne

Shiral

Feb 1, 2006, 1:20:49 AM2/1/06
Oh definitely, Julianne. I also wanted to shake Rhysem all through KJY
and say "LISTEN TO YOUR BROTHER IF YOU WANT TO STAY ALIVE, YOU LITTLE
SIMP!!!" But I can't dislike Rhysem the way I do Cinhil. At least
Rhysem wakes up and REALIZES that he's done harm, and feels the
appropriate remorse. And although makes stupid mistakes, at heart, he's
a much more appealing person than Cinhil. Javan would have been an
excellent King if he'd been given the chance. And Rhysem would have
been pretty good at it too, I think. Either of them were better than
Imre, and better than their own papa.

Melissa

snuffybear

Feb 1, 2006, 5:57:02 AM2/1/06

Cinhil was a whiny jerk, but you know what? If he had risen the
occasion, said "Yes, I am a Haldane, and I will rule with nobility and
wisdom" I would have put the book down and never picked it up again.
Here was a guy who was raised as an ordinary person, with no inkling
that he was royal, he went into religious orders at a young age, led a
secluded life which he loved, and was forcibly removed in a pretty
shocking way, forced to renounce his celibacy and pick up a crown that
he didn't know was his to begin with. I might have been a bit whiny,
too.

And Rhys Michael is a very typical youngest child. He was the spare to
the spare heir. He was spoiled a bit and allowed to be self centered.
He behaved in character.

One of the things I love about the Camber era books is that the
characters are deeply flawed, even Camber himself, in a way that they
are not flawed in Kelson's era. That makes them more believable, and
more enjoyable to read. (That's not to say I don't love the Kelson
books, because I do, but I'm more inclined to re-read the Camber books)

Marion

jerry

Feb 1, 2006, 6:52:36 AM2/1/06

I tend to agree with your assessment of Cinhil. He was a pompous
whiny person but when he finally accepted that he was going to be king
he settled down and became king, even if he probably never liked being
king. Didn't necessarily make all good choices but who does?

I do think somewhen he was told that he was a Haldane. Possibly when
his father died. I could see his grandfather taking him aside and
telling him. He had just put it to the back reaches of his mind when
he developed his calling to the church. When Joram and Rhys hit him
with it he reacted as one who knew but was in denial.

Rhys Michael- in CH he seemed to be the more normal kid of the Princes.
In KJY, yeah strangling him would have been a good thing. In TBP he
has had several years to ponder the errors of his ways and for the most
part redeems himself.

jerry

Shiral

Feb 1, 2006, 3:00:34 PM2/1/06
I think that Prince Aidan mentioned that Cinhil's memories of his
royal heritage were "Locked in his early childhood memories" or words
to that effect. Possibly, they held a secret baptism of sorts, wherein
Cinhil was baptized with his proper royal name. ANd I imagine that
Aidan's son, Alroy, also knew about his true birthright. But they were
also living right under Festillic noses, so they pretty much had to
keep that as quiet as possible. But I believe Cinhil knew at some
point, that he was a Haldane. It just looked pretty doubtful that he'd
ever become king when he was a child and young man.

Melissa

Historian

Feb 2, 2006, 9:38:28 AM2/2/06
The problem I have with Arilan is it seems that he is in the "Arilan
First" mindset. IF KK were to carry it through a little more, Arilan
would be in a tough position. I don't remember WHO said it to him, but
I think a Council member told him,"God help you Dennis, if you ever
have to choose between all your vows."

Arilan has his vows to God and the Church, his fealty to the Crown, and
also to the Council, the last two groups seemingly at odds with each
other regularly. I agree that Arilan needs to let up on Duncan and
Alaric a little bit -- they have to make their own decisions as well,
and live with the consequences.

Regarding Alaric -- we know he loses his parents at a young age. He was
given to the Haldane service at birth. He never knew any life other
than being under the protection of the King, and to be the protector of
the Prince, first Brion, then Kelson. He is also the third most
powerful in rank in the kingdom. So to be all these things, you have to
be confident, perhaps to the point of arrogance, so that people will
listen to you -- especially at 14 or 15, after the battle with the
Marluk and the first ritual magic you have done alone is also
successful. (Which no one can know about which to Alaric was a very
great personal achievement).

My opinions. That and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee.

Shiral

Feb 4, 2006, 12:28:57 PM2/4/06
Interesting comments, Historian, and welcome. =o) I think I might enjoy
seeing Arilan having to make a tough choice among his various
loyalties. Will the kng, the church or the Camberian Council come out
on top when he does? And what will be the various consequences of his
choice? Oh dear, the temptation of fanfic.....

I think Alaric projects a public face of toughness and
self-confidence, but he also chooses a hard road in being an openly
known Deryni when he's still a very young man. And he has to live with
those consequences, both forseen and unforseen all his life. This is
only possible for him because he IS the king's close friend, and Brion
owes him a huge debt for helping to defeat the Marluk in addition to
that. But Morgan also had a very small circle of loyal friends and a
very LARGE circle of vehement detractors in bothe the church and the
court. In that atmosphere, he HAS to be tough, to discourage any casual
threats against him on a day to day basis. But I also think it means
he had a very lonely life, a lot of the time. Granted, Alaric is a bit
of an adrenaline junkie, but that kind of life would have to get to
him, now and then. And because he values the few true friends he has,
he is extremely loyal to them. I think one reason that Alaric resents
Arilan is that, until Arilan outed himself to Morgan and Duncan, he
pretty much allowed them to do as they thought best. After surviving
to the age of 29 operating on his own judgement, Alaric would hardly
take it kindly that Arilan is trying to tell him what to do and how to
use his own powers, when he has demonstrated enough judgement to
survive in a Deryni hostile land. But Morgan, who has lived openly as
a Deryni throughout his adulthood has probably done more to change
people's attitudes about Deryni than Arilan has. True, for Arilan to
be openly Deryni would have been suicide within the church when he was
first ordained, and during most of Brion's reign. But he STILL hasn't
come clean to the general Gwynedd Synod and said "Guess what? I'm a
Deryni Bishop, too. Deal with it." Since Duncan has been guardedly
accepted by both Bradene and the Synod, when is Denis going to pluck up
his nerve to dare to come out of the tabernacle, so to speak?

Melissa

Irene

Feb 4, 2006, 4:05:10 PM2/4/06
Has KK said if she will ever write anymore books about Kelson's reign? I
want to know what happens with Duncan and Alaric and all these characters
after KKB.

I haven't read the Swords of Marluk (?). What is this? Where can I read it?

Irene

"Shiral" <shir...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Shiral

Feb 4, 2006, 5:41:05 PM2/4/06
Swords was in the Flashing Swords # 4 Barbarians and Black Magicians
short story collection that came out after the first trilogy. I think
it's out of print, but it might be searchable through alibris or
bibliofind. I expect that the battle between Brion and the Marluk and
Morgan's empowering of Brion the night before will be updated and
changed in Childe Morgan though, as that will cover Alaric's childhood
and adolescence.

Melissa

Irene

Feb 4, 2006, 8:24:05 PM2/4/06
Thanks Melissa.

"Shiral" <shir...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

lenni

Feb 4, 2006, 11:12:45 PM2/4/06
Irene,

> Has KK said if she will ever write anymore
> books about Kelson's reign?

I believe that KK said that she was going to give Kelson and Araxie a
little time alone before she gets back to them. Of course, then
there're her other books that she has to work on!

> I want to know
> what happens with Duncan and Alaric and all
> these characters after KKB.

What you said!

Kathleen

RainbowDragon

Feb 5, 2006, 9:21:36 AM2/5/06
Yes, KK did say she was gonna give Kelson and Araxie a little time
alone. After she finishes the Childe Morgan series and the Deryni
Chronicles re-write I believe she mentioned in chat that she would then
re-visit the Adept series before going back to the Kelson era so it may
well be years before we see Kelson, Araxie et al.

RainbowDragon

eigon

Feb 6, 2006, 9:08:49 AM2/6/06
I wonder if Arilan might want to stay hidden because he fears a backlash
caused by these headstong young Deryni going too fast for the public to
stomach?
Then if there is a bloodbath, he'll still be there to do some rebuilding.

snuffybear

Feb 7, 2006, 5:51:52 AM2/7/06

He might also want to stay hidden because to expose a second "secret"
Deryni in the priesthood might precipitate that backlash.

And, he's done quite a bit to help the cause of the Deryni in secret -
he was able to help Cardiel realize that Deryni weren't such a bad
thing, and I have to think that other bishops coming around to the
Deryni cause were influenced (non-magically) by Arilan.

I'm going to be very curious to see the relationship between Arilan and
Brion. I wonder how much influence Denis had on Brion's opinion of the
Deryni.

Plus - it's not like Alaric had any choice at being a known Deryni -
his mother was, after all. There was no hiding it. But Denis's family
was not known Deryni, and he's not the only one in that family - if he
were to announce he was Deryni, it would affect his brother's children.
(I think his brother is dead at this point.) Anyone who knows anything
about the backlash after the Haldane restoration can't be in any hurry
to expose his family to that risk.

Marion

jerry

Feb 7, 2006, 6:34:08 AM2/7/06
I guess in my reading KKB I was under the impression that Arilan had
come clean. Doesn't specifically say that but why would Kelson send a
human to be an ambassador/overseer into a Deryni Kingdom. Would not
make sense.

jerry

Irene

Feb 7, 2006, 2:46:26 PM2/7/06

"jerry" <jjm...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

There's a comment in the book about Arilan coming out as a Deryni. It was a
statement about how now they knew the people knew they had 2 Deryni Bishops
and things were changing. By the time KKB takes place it is not a crime to
be Deryni or a Deryni cleric and even Duncan makes a show of it during the
celebration at the new Camber Basilica.

Irene

Jake

Feb 10, 2006, 1:00:26 PM2/10/06

"snuffybear" <Snuff...@snet.net> wrote in message
> >See? Shana Ray is obviously a person who likes her swashbucklers, as
>>opposed to a priest who behaves as if he sat down on broken glass. =o)
>
>>Melissa
>
> Anybody can swash a buckle, but only the select few can pull off
> sitting on broken glass. I like Arilan because I'm never sure how he's
> going to act. Alaric's always going to be insufferably noble and always
> right.
>
> Marion

Hmmm, methinks Arilan has got the insufferable title all to his self.

Jake

Feb 10, 2006, 1:03:20 PM2/10/06

> snuffybear wrote:
>>
>> Anybody can swash a buckle, but only the select few can pull off
>> sitting on broken glass.
>
>> Marion
>
> Maybe because most people are sensible enough to get right back up? =o)
>

> As to saying what everyone else is thinking, okay, I like that aspect
> of Arilan. What irritates me about him is his self-appointed
> guardianship of "justifiable" use of Deryni powers, and unwilling to
> grant that Duncan and Alaric can make their own decisions on that
> matter without his needing to be their nanny. Alaric has been at court
> for several years, he's an adult. If he had been wildly irresponsible
> in the use of his powers all along, he never would have lasted as long
> as he did. And Duncan was able to survive in the very Deryni-unfriendly
> atmosphere of the church, just as Arilan did. Before he revealed
> himself to them as Deryni, Arilan had to let them make their own
> decisions about their conduct. But ever since then, he doesn't seem to
> have any faith in their judgement.
>
> Melissa

I don't think Dennis has faith in anyone's judgment other than his
own,,,,Joram on the other hand....That's what a good priest is all about :-)

Jake

Feb 10, 2006, 1:09:28 PM2/10/06
Yeah, I'd kind of like to know a little more about what happens to those
characters, but first, I want to know about 948 already. It's been driving
me crazy ever since I got my original Codex.

"lenni" <kathleen...@homenode.us> wrote in message

Wesley Struebing

Feb 10, 2006, 7:04:01 PM2/10/06
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:00:26 GMT, "Jake" <sej...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

Well, to his defense, I think he is a victim (if you will) of two
things - the earlier (and in some ways still extant) prejudice against
Deryni, and the upbringing in the Church. The two combined would make
someone, stiff-necked and guarded, not to mention looking askance at
those who *might* not feel quite the same way.

That said, insufferable is a good label!

8-)

--

Wes Struebing

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Julianne Toomey-Kautz

Feb 11, 2006, 9:09:59 AM2/11/06

Jake wrote:
> Yeah, I'd kind of like to know a little more about what happens to those
> characters, but first, I want to know about 948 already. It's been driving
> me crazy ever since I got my original Codex.

I both do and do not want to see what happens in 948. Everybody
dies.... I heard a rumor that they all die helping hte Haldane king
who also dies... I also heard something about a plague that year and
with no Healers because the Regents were idiots....

It's gonna be one very depressing book. But I would still like to know
what goes on. That's it: I'm schizophrennic and so am I!
*************
blessed be, Julianne

Shiral

Feb 11, 2006, 3:48:50 PM2/11/06
Me and me too, Julianne. =o)

Melissa

Imladris

Feb 12, 2006, 12:44:23 PM2/12/06
Me three..., but would also like to someday read the story of the late
7th century with Oriel and Jodotha....

Imladris

Julianne Toomey-Kautz

Feb 12, 2006, 10:45:33 PM2/12/06

Imladris wrote:
> Me three..., but would also like to someday read the story of the late
> 7th century with Oriel and Jodotha....

Oh, yes, Imladris! A definite "me, too" there!
*************
blessed be, Julianne

Steve Lewis

Feb 14, 2006, 10:28:48 AM2/14/06
Now we are sure it will just be the one book, and not lead into another
trilogy - there's lots of material hinted at in the canon?
Steve

"Julianne Toomey-Kautz" <Julia...@Kautzlaw.com> wrote in message

Wesley Struebing

Feb 14, 2006, 7:39:01 PM2/14/06

Seems it would have to be several books just to cover everyone who
dies...

(having mixed feelings about reading about that period. I'm not sure
how depressed I want to be...)

tenworld

Feb 22, 2006, 3:33:51 PM2/22/06

I agree a 948 book will be too depressing so what about an alternative:

tell the story of 948 in the context of a later book (like CM III)
where there is a memorial to it or maybe they find a scroll telling the
true story (like finding the Orin papers)

snuffybear

Feb 23, 2006, 9:03:30 PM2/23/06

Could it really be more depressing than the end of Camber the Heretic,
or of King Javan's Year? I don't think it could be, in part because
except for Joram, I'm not sure I have an emotional attachment to the
other characters the way I did for Camber, Rhys, Evaine or Javan. I
remember crying when I first read of Rhys's death. And that scene in
the castle yard, just before Evaine gave birth, was pretty devastating.

But I don't think they'll find the true story of 948 until after King
Kelson's Bride (chronologically, I mean) because there's no hint of it
in any of the Kelson books. I keep hoping that someone in Kelson's time
will discover the history that one of the bishops was writing in KJY.

Marion

tenworld

Feb 24, 2006, 3:08:37 PM2/24/06
the characters we know well in the later books dont know the true story
of Camber either but that doesnt mean that some one or small group
knows the truth. My guess would be Azim, or some descendants of
Camber's children who have maintained the secret chamber.

Shana Ray

Feb 24, 2006, 3:58:27 PM2/24/06
It would make sense that Camber's descendants might know the story, but
they're in Torenth according to KKB, but the only way I could imagine Kelson
and co. learning the true story of Camber is through Azim and some scrol.