Honorverse disclaimer

Dale Franks

Dec 22, 2002, 1:14:57 AM12/22/02
David Weber has asked me to make it clear that the work on the Honorverse
web site is not officially approved in any way. I have added the following
disclaimer to the web site:

DISCLAIMER: The work that appears on this site is entirely my own. This
material has not been reviewed, endorsed, approved, or authorized in any way
by David Weber, Baen Books, or by any entity associated with them. The
material on this web site, therefore, is neither authoritative nor
authorized in any sense, and represents solely my own views and artwork.

I repeat it here to ensure that no one is operating under the impression
that I have official sanction.

Cordially;
Dale Franks
http://www.dalefranks.com/honorverse

Ronald Stepp

Dec 22, 2002, 1:53:02 AM12/22/02
"Dale Franks" <da...@dalefranks.com> wrote in message

He could do worse than give you official sanction.. Am I wrong or didn't
David use one of your insignia on the cover of his book, or was it the
artist doing the cover? Did you sanction that, if I remembered correctly
that it was used?

Dale Franks

Dec 22, 2002, 2:39:08 AM12/22/02

"Ronald Stepp" <rstepp.d...@sw.rr.com> wrote in message

> He could do worse than give you official sanction.. Am I wrong or didn't
> David use one of your insignia on the cover of his book, or was it the
> artist doing the cover? Did you sanction that, if I remembered correctly
> that it was used?

DALE:
Well, yes. I mean, David Weber didn't, but Dave Mattingly did for WoH, and,
though it's not clear, I think the Manticore on the hood of the aircar on
the new cover of HotQ is mine, too. I can't be sure though, because it's so
distorted.

I didn't sanction it. I didn't even know about it until the Friday before
WoH was released, and I saw the cover on Amazon. I thought the image looked
familiar, so I made a run to a B&N on Saturday and convinced the manager to
let me take a look at the real cover, and sure enough it was mine. Jim Baen
seemed a bit miffed about it at first, when I called him the next Monday,
but Mattingly was a stand-up guy, and told Jim he had used it from my web
site. David Mattingly called me later and told me the stuff was so
detailed, he just assumed it was authorized by DW, so he thought he could
use it.

The guys at Baen were very good about handling it, and I was so happy to see
it used, I didn't want to really make any waves over it. So, we just agreed
that I would get credited for future use of the image, and now that's all
water under the bridge.

I suppose I could have raised a stink, got a cease and desist injunction,
and had the entire printing recalled, if I really wanted to push it. Of
course, that would have made me a pretty unpopular guy around here. And in
The Bar, too. And far too many members of the Baen stable are heavily armed
former professional soldiers, so you just don't want to mess around with
people like that. Of course, I, myself, spent about half of my adult life as
a professional soldier, too, so no matter how that situation would have
turned out, it would have been...messy. But, you know, I really wouldn't
want to face off with a pissed off John Ringo, even on my best day...

And it really wouldn't have served any useful purpose, because it's not like
I make any money off of this, anyway. And, frankly, I was pleased that
Mattingly thought my stuff was good enough to use a tiny portion of it.

DW actually has never even seen my stuff, of course, because he
intentionally avoids fanfic and the like because he needs to CYA his own
copyrights, and to try to avoid infringements from other people, too. The
whole episode about my artwork on the cover of WoH shows why that's a wise
idea. What if I had been a real jerk about it, and demanded all kinds of
unreasonable stuff? Even if they could have eventually crushed me like a
bug, it would still have been a pain in the butt, for everyone involved.

In this case, DW just asked me to make it clear that the site is not
authorized, and I was more than happy to do whatever he asked in that
regard. I understand perfectly that his intellectual property is what keeps
a roof over his head and food on the table, so I would have to be a pretty
big ass to get snippy with him, especially since he made it clear that he
really has no desire at all to make trouble with me over copyright issues as
long as I make it clear that my stuff is unauthorized.

If I had been more clear about that on the Honorverse web site initially,
then David Mattingly wouldn't have used it in the first place. So, I think
DW is perfectly justified in asking me to make a clear statement that the
site is not authorized in any way. That should prevent any repeats of the
unfortunate WoH episode, and it will keep DW from having to take what he
calls "official notice" of the Web site.

Ronald Stepp

Dec 22, 2002, 6:34:48 AM12/22/02

> Well, yes. I mean, David Weber didn't, but Dave Mattingly did for WoH,
and,
> though it's not clear, I think the Manticore on the hood of the aircar on
> the new cover of HotQ is mine, too. I can't be sure though, because it's
so
> distorted.

Rog that..

> I suppose I could have raised a stink, got a cease and desist injunction,
> and had the entire printing recalled, if I really wanted to push it. Of

Well perhaps if they use it again, they'll give you some small credit
somewhere in the books which use any future work of yours.. maybe name a
small bit part after you or something..

Seeya!

Lauren McDonald

Dec 22, 2002, 10:30:51 AM12/22/02

"Ronald Stepp" <rstepp.d...@sw.rr.com> wrote in message
I don't know I would have held out for a autographed hardcover by DW.

Dale Franks

Dec 22, 2002, 12:39:11 PM12/22/02

Dale Franks

Dec 22, 2002, 12:41:27 PM12/22/02
"Ronald Stepp" <rstepp.d...@sw.rr.com> wrote in message

> Well perhaps if they use it again, they'll give you some small credit
> somewhere in the books which use any future work of yours.. maybe name a
> small bit part after you or something..

DALE:
The agreement with Baen is that I get credited in all future uses of the
image. They've already placed a credit on the web site.

And I've already hung the cover in my office.

Ronald Stepp

Dec 22, 2002, 2:27:32 PM12/22/02
"Dale Franks" <da...@dalefranks.com> wrote in message

Totally, like, awesome dude!

KDown2045

Dec 22, 2002, 3:37:01 PM12/22/02
>o, I think
>DW is perfectly justified in asking me to make a clear statement that the
>site is not authorized in any way. That should prevent any repeats of the
>unfortunate WoH episode, and it will keep DW from having to take what he
>calls "official notice" of the Web site.

Now I am really confused. I was told here I couldn't do fanfic because it was
not authorized yet it is okay for you to have a web site as long as there is an
unauthorized disclaimer on it. Am I now correct that one can do anything on a
web site (like fanfic) as long as there is a disclaimer on it? This is very
very confusing.
MNelson

Dale Franks

Dec 22, 2002, 4:39:37 PM12/22/02

"KDown2045" <kdow...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Now I am really confused. I was told here I couldn't do fanfic because it
was
> not authorized yet it is okay for you to have a web site as long as there
is an
> unauthorized disclaimer on it. Am I now correct that one can do anything
on a
> web site (like fanfic) as long as there is a disclaimer on it? This is
very
> very confusing.

DALE:
The difference is that my web site just has pictures. I think there is a
difference between posting some drawings, and writing stories. Fanfic often
uses the original author's characters, settings, storylines, etc. I think
that's a BIG difference, since both fanfic and the original stories are both
writings, whereas my images do not use any characters, storylines, etc. I'm
using a different medium entirely, and one which is not narrative in any
sense.

Marten Kemp

Dec 22, 2002, 7:09:10 PM12/22/02

&deity, here we go again. No, you can't do fanfic. Notice the
"taking official notice" reference?

-- Marten Kemp

Ronald Stepp

Dec 23, 2002, 2:03:44 AM12/23/02
"KDown2045" <kdow...@aol.com> wrote in message

You are confused because you don't know the difference between fanfic and
graphic pictures. I don't think DW will be trying his hand at doing the
graphics himself so he isn't worried about someone suing him for drawing
artwork they claim they did first.

Rex Reynolds

Dec 23, 2002, 2:43:20 AM12/23/02

"Ronald Stepp" <rstepp.d...@sw.rr.com> wrote in message
himself does a fairly good job of 'drawing' with words (as it were)
Rex

Ronald Stepp

Dec 23, 2002, 5:33:44 AM12/23/02
"Rex Reynolds" <r.c.re...@Removethisworldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> > You are confused because you don't know the difference between fanfic
and
> > graphic pictures. I don't think DW will be trying his hand at doing the
> > graphics himself so he isn't worried about someone suing him for drawing
> > artwork they claim they did first.
> >

> himself does a fairly good job of 'drawing' with words (as it were)
> Rex

Yeah yeah... <grin> good point..

KDown2045

Jan 12, 2003, 7:42:46 PM1/12/03
>DALE:
>The difference is that my web site just has pictures. I think there is a
>difference between posting some drawings, and writing stories. Fanfic often
>uses the original author's characters, settings, storylines, etc. I think
>that's a BIG difference, since both fanfic and the original stories are both
>writings, whereas my images do not use any characters, storylines, etc. I'm
>using a different medium entirely, and one which is not narrative in any
>sense.

Hi Dale,

Thank you Dale. You are lucky to be able to persue your hobby. At the
moment, I am trying to design some uniforms for Grayson and the RMN.

MNelson