River Phoenix: Bad News

Joseph Gownder

Oct 31, 1993, 9:49:57 AM10/31/93

For those who are interested...

River Phoenix, who was currently playing the part of Daniel <the interviewer>
in the Neil Jordan / Tom Cruise movie version of IWTV, died suddenly
yesterday. NBC didn't give a cause of death, but simply said that he
collapsed after returning from a nightclub and later died.

What will this do to the movie? I guess it's very early in the filming;
they'll have to re-cast the role of Daniel pretty quickly.

- J. P. Gownder
gow...@husc.harvard.edu
Department of Government
Graduate Student

Susan Lestat Spaet

Oct 31, 1993, 9:46:54 PM10/31/93
I was sitting and reading this post (and the couple on alt.vampyres that
appeared) and thinking "this can't be true," so I checked the on-line
UPI newsfeed we have here. It is indeed true. River Phoenix died yesterday.
I don't know what of. I think that's tragic. He was so young. Plus, and this
will sound terribly selfish, he was one of the few characters in the movie I
didn't think was horribly miscast. I wonder what this will mean for filming,
since the movie started fimlimng already. Unless they did something funky and
shot only scenes with Louis or Lestat or something, they will have to recast
and reshoot the movie. I would imagine that this would, at the least, put off
the release date.
If anyone gets new info (like the person with the friend on the set) please
post!

--
Susan Spaet
sms...@amherst.edu

David Steinman

Oct 31, 1993, 10:37:17 PM10/31/93
sms...@unix.amherst.edu (Susan "Lestat" Spaet) writes:

>I was sitting and reading this post (and the couple on alt.vampyres that
>appeared) and thinking "this can't be true," so I checked the on-line
>UPI newsfeed we have here. It is indeed true. River Phoenix died yesterday.
>I don't know what of. I think that's tragic. He was so young. Plus, and this
>will sound terribly selfish, he was one of the few characters in the movie I
>didn't think was horribly miscast. I wonder what this will mean for filming,
>since the movie started fimlimng already. Unless they did something funky and
>shot only scenes with Louis or Lestat or something, they will have to recast
>and reshoot the movie. I would imagine that this would, at the least, put off
>the release date.

Not to mention start a whole series of "The Curse of the Vampire Lestat"
rumours if anyone else connected with the movie should die. Maybe Anne
is a Mayfair after all. (No flames please, I thought River Phoenix was a
terrific young actor; I just hope he didn't pull a Len Bias).
--
Dave!

Mary K Reinkoester

Nov 1, 1993, 8:55:36 AM11/1/93
I was deeply saddened to hear of River's death. He was only 23, and always
seemed a troubled young man to me. I hope they dedicate the film to his
memory.

Mary

K. Esme

Nov 1, 1993, 11:20:29 AM11/1/93

The rumors that I have heard have all attributed River Pheonix's death
to an overdose of cocaine or heroin.

Not that such rumors are uncommon when an actor dies under any
circumstances....

But as for the movie--It's entirely possible that they had already shot
every scene with River Pheonix in it. If that is the case, no refilming
would need to be done. However, it's also possible that not a single
scene of his has been shot yet. And they could wait until they had found
a replacement and shoot them all at the end.

K. Esme
--
===================== Not in our name and with our money! =====================
kevin christopher cowles "Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins.

Randy Hall

Nov 1, 1993, 12:25:39 PM11/1/93
In <2b3d0d$m...@phakt.usc.edu> cow...@phakt.usc.edu (K. Esme) writes:

>The rumors that I have heard have all attributed River Pheonix's death
>to an overdose of cocaine or heroin.

The rumor that I heard this morning was that a paramedic that arrived
on the scene mentioned that it had the markings of cocaine reaction.
(i.e. OD on coke)

>Not that such rumors are uncommon when an actor dies under any
>circumstances....

When I heard that he had died, it didn't occur to me that he was cast as
Daniel. I had only thought that it was tragic that he died, period.

I apologize for the topic interruption... back to AR books...

Randy Hall | My opinion is my own, so don't hold my company
Intel Corporation | responsible for this!
Compatiblity Validation | *** Have a nice day *** :)

Kevin Jones

Nov 1, 1993, 12:44:29 PM11/1/93
sms...@unix.amherst.edu (Susan "Lestat" Spaet) writes:

CNN said that River wasn't due to START filming for another 4 weeks.

Louis Hemmi

Nov 1, 1993, 5:36:00 AM11/1/93
I read that he collapsed at about 3:00 Am outside a Hollywood night club
called the "Viper." He was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at a
hospital.

Any clues ?

Darn, and he was so well cast and talented.
---
. SLMR 2.1a . Haz bien y no mires a quien.

----
| Data Warp Premium BBS (713) 355-6107 HST/V.32bis |
| Spring / Houston, Texas Multi-line, multi-gig PCBoard BBS |

Don McCaskill

Nov 1, 1993, 11:59:04 AM11/1/93
to ue437

I heard they were set to start filming next week!!! They'll have to recast
soon so that they can get started.

--
********************** ue...@freenet.victoria.bc.ca. ************************
Don McCaskill

Rob Ingram

Nov 2, 1993, 5:31:46 AM11/2/93
In article <CFtoI...@camunx.camosun.bc.ca>, ue...@freenet.Victoria.BC.CA (Don McCaskill) writes:

|> In a previous article, gow...@husc10.harvard.edu (Joseph Gownder) says:
|>

|> >For those who are interested...
|> >
|> >River Phoenix, who was currently playing the part of Daniel <the interviewer>
|> >in the Neil Jordan / Tom Cruise movie version of IWTV, died suddenly
|> >yesterday. NBC didn't give a cause of death, but simply said that he
|> >collapsed after returning from a nightclub and later died.
|> >
|> >What will this do to the movie? I guess it's very early in the filming;
|> >they'll have to re-cast the role of Daniel pretty quickly.
|> >
|> I heard they were set to start filming next week!!! They'll have to recast
|> soon so that they can get started.

Come on, how many scenes actually include the interviewer?
They have plenty of time to recast.

Rob.

| | Rob Ingram |
| By request. | University of Nottingham |
| Englands Finest. | Department of Computer Science |
| | Nottingham, UK. |
|___________________________|_________________________________________________|
| | "Women: Can't live with 'em, can't get them |
| r. ing...@cs.nott.ac.uk | to dress in skimpy leather Nazi outfits" |
|___________________________|_________________________________________________|

Jenny Ehrlich

Nov 2, 1993, 1:50:30 PM11/2/93

I used to live in Gainesville, Florida where River Phoenix was from.
I never met him, but since I was only a few years older than he, I
met some people who went to school with him when he was young. This
hit hard for those of us in Florida. I hope that they can cast someone
decent as Daniel. He would have been perfect.

Jenny Ehrlich

Scott W Gosnell

Nov 4, 1993, 10:53:17 AM11/4/93

Despite rumors of cocaine and/or valium overdose, the probable cause of River
Phoenix's death is that he was dropped on his head outside the club. If dropped
just so, humans will go into convulsions. If he'd been taking cocaine, that
would have potentiated the convulsions, while the valium should have had
anticonvulsant effects.

SG

Melissa Woo

Nov 4, 1993, 1:37:31 PM11/4/93

I was thinking (sort of) along the same lines. If the cause of death
wasn't drugs, it could have been something like a brain embolism. I've
been told that victims of brain embolisms sometimes act really strangely
about half an hour to an hour before death.

The cause of death could have been drugs, but I really dislike it when
it is automatically assumed that the cause of a person's death is due to
drugs. It feels to me to be a gross value judgement on a person who is no
longer capable of defending his/herself.

Anyway, this is really getting grossly off-topic, so I'll shut up now. :-)
I'm waiting for the day _Lasher_ comes out in paperback, so I can finally
find out what everyone else in talking about. :)

--
Melissa Woo | OS/2'ing it!
mel...@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu, Fidonet 1:233/4.0 | ************

Roger Fulton

Nov 9, 1993, 3:52:51 PM11/9/93
In article <2bbi5b$b...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu> mel...@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu (Melissa Woo) writes:
>I'm waiting for the day _Lasher_ comes out in paperback, so I can finally
>find out what everyone else in talking about. :)

Try you local library: read it now, save a tree!

---
Roger Fulton
ro...@wrq.com

Melissa Woo

Nov 9, 1993, 7:21:32 PM11/9/93

It's just not the same as owning it -- I like to read and reread Ann Rice's
books. Besides, I don't live within my local library's tax base (i.e.,
it's not "free" for me; there's an annual fee that's fairly large that I
would have been glad to pay if I knew I'd be around for more than a few
months).