Labatt Blue vs. Molson Canadian

Clint Eastwood (aka James Anatidae)

Oct 27, 2002, 3:43:48 AM10/27/02
If you were dying of thirst and only two beers available were these, which
would you choose?

Jim Breckenridge

Oct 27, 2002, 10:41:59 AM10/27/02
"Clint Eastwood (aka James Anatidae)" wrote:

> If you were dying of thirst and only two beers available were these, which
> would you choose?

I'd just give up and die.

Dave Witzel

Oct 27, 2002, 12:41:02 PM10/27/02
"Clint Eastwood (aka James Anatidae)" wrote on 27 Oct 2002:

> If you were dying of thirst and only two beers available were these,
> which would you choose?

Whichever was closest, assuming I didn't have time to get a proper drink.
Remember, alcohol acts as a diuretic and your kidneys need more water to
process the alcohol so you'll just wind up thirstier than when you started.

</troll>

Dave

Oh, Guess

Oct 27, 2002, 1:58:39 PM10/27/02

False dichotomy. I'd choose water.
--

Nobody You Know

fr0glet

Oct 27, 2002, 2:28:20 PM10/27/02
"Clint Eastwood (aka James Anatidae)" <pars...@citcom.net> wrote...

> If you were dying of thirst and only two beers available were these, which
> would you choose?

I might knaw into my own vein before I'd drink one of those two.

fr0glet

tediboy

Oct 27, 2002, 6:17:02 PM10/27/02

"> "Clint Eastwood (aka James Anatidae)" <pars...@citcom.net> wrote...
> > If you were dying of thirst and only two beers available were these,
which
> > would you choose?

Both sound like some sort of Canadian/North American gin's piss but I
believe they are reasonable facsimiles of beer as we know it in the
Antipodes, so I definitely would go the nearest.
The alcoholic strength of this type of beer is not likely to produce any
dehydration I would think.
Yours in beer appreciation,
~ tediboy

Clint Eastwood (aka James Anatidae)

Oct 27, 2002, 7:34:21 PM10/27/02
Dave Witzel <dwi...@nyc.roadrunner.com> wrote in message
I didn't mean dying of thirst *literally*!

Altair

Oct 27, 2002, 10:55:57 PM10/27/02
"tediboy" <rm...@bigpond.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
9l_u9.63688$g9.1...@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
<Snip>

> The alcoholic strength of this type of beer is not likely to produce
any
> dehydration I would think.
> Yours in beer appreciation,
> ~ tediboy

Like most megabrews in Canada, they are both 5%
--
Altair (:-o)>=®
"The History of every major Galactic Civilisation tends to pass through

Altair

Oct 27, 2002, 11:08:33 PM10/27/02
"Clint Eastwood (aka James Anatidae)" <pars...@citcom.net> a écrit dans le
message de news: apg908$3f2a$1...@news3.infoave.net...

> If you were dying of thirst and only two beers available were these, which
> would you choose?

As a fellow Canadian these are local megabreweries products and lots of bars
don't offer any microbreweries products or some event (like the Montreal
International Jazz Festival) are sponsored by megabreweries so you don't
even get to chose the megabreweries, you can only choose between a few
variation of the same. Usually in case like that i will take Labatt's Blue,
it is a bit more tasting than Molson Canadian or Export I always thougth
that Molson was very close to water.

Personnaly i prefer stronger tasting beers like Unibrew products (not all of
them, i don't like U and U2).

Dave Witzel

Oct 28, 2002, 12:05:01 AM10/28/02
"Clint Eastwood (aka James Anatidae)" wrote on 27 Oct 2002:
> Dave Witzel <dwi...@nyc.roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> "Clint Eastwood (aka James Anatidae)" wrote on 27 Oct 2002:
>>
>> > If you were dying of thirst and only two beers available were these,
>> > which would you choose?
>>
>> Whichever was closest, assuming I didn't have time to get a proper
>> drink. Remember, alcohol acts as a diuretic and your kidneys need more
>> water to process the alcohol so you'll just wind up thirstier than
>> when you started.
>>
> I didn't mean dying of thirst *literally*!

Heh. You've not been here the past few weeks, I see. First sentence still
applies, though.

Dave

Robin S.

Oct 28, 2002, 11:21:10 AM10/28/02
Canadian. If I wanted to drink Blue, I'd piss in a glass and save myself
$3.75.

Regards,

Robin

"Clint Eastwood (aka James Anatidae)" <pars...@citcom.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Gordoboy

Oct 28, 2002, 3:58:02 PM10/28/02
Labbatt Blue sponsors Ozzy Osborne on CTV- Go figure!!!!!

"Robin S." <lase...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Richard

Oct 28, 2002, 4:02:34 PM10/28/02
"Altair" <sylvain.dupuis@NoSpam@videotron.ca> wrote in message

> As a fellow Canadian these are local megabreweries products and lots of
bars
> don't offer any microbreweries products or some event (like the Montreal
> International Jazz Festival) are sponsored by megabreweries so you don't
> even get to chose the megabreweries, you can only choose between a few

Yes, but you can choose the type of beer that you smuggle into the Jazz
Fest.. ;)

> variation of the same. Usually in case like that i will take Labatt's
Blue,
> it is a bit more tasting than Molson Canadian or Export I always thougth
> that Molson was very close to water.

Really? I find that of the two Canadian is more drinkable than Blue. Blue
used to be my beer of choice back when I was 17 and was happy to get my
hands on anything that said "beer" on the label, but I've since decided that
I find its taste offensive.

> Personnaly i prefer stronger tasting beers like Unibrew products (not all
of
> them, i don't like U and U2).

It's Unibroue and I definitely agree with you, Don de Dieu, Maudite and La
Fin Du Monde being my favorites. As for other Quebec-made beers, I've grown
to like Boreale, who have a decent red and a very nice dorée (golden) that
has a nice honey flavour to it.. much better on tap though. Griffon has a
very nice pale ale and I've just recently tried one called blonde d'Achouffe
which they classify as a "Strong Spicy Beer" ... produced by a brewery
called le cheval blanc (the white horse). Very nice.

Richard

Richard

Oct 28, 2002, 4:04:38 PM10/28/02
"Clint Eastwood (aka James Anatidae)" <pars...@citcom.net> wrote in message
> If you were dying of thirst and only two beers available were these, which
> would you choose?

Canadian.

Richard

J.Donnelly

Oct 28, 2002, 9:11:19 PM10/28/02
who wants a beer from America Jr.?
let alone a beer from America?
and I'M AMERICAN! ha ha

Altair

Oct 28, 2002, 9:39:03 PM10/28/02
"J.Donnelly" <jwd...@psu.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
b7mv9.42010$wm6....@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...

> who wants a beer from America Jr.?
> let alone a beer from America?
> and I'M AMERICAN! ha ha

There are verry good beer in america, Unibroue by instance make good
products and there are good one too from USA, Anchor Steam Ale, and some IPA
are verry interesting also. The trick is to stay away if possible from
megabreweries.

Altair

Oct 28, 2002, 9:54:29 PM10/28/02
"Richard" <th...@is.invalid> a écrit dans le message de news:
apk8t7$s96$1...@dns3.cae.ca...

> "Altair" <sylvain.dupuis@NoSpam@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>
> > As a fellow Canadian these are local megabreweries products and lots of
> bars
> > don't offer any microbreweries products or some event (like the Montreal
> > International Jazz Festival) are sponsored by megabreweries so you don't
> > even get to chose the megabreweries, you can only choose between a few
>
> Yes, but you can choose the type of beer that you smuggle into the Jazz
> Fest.. ;)
Hard to do when you go to inside show, i go see about 20 show inside each
year.

> > variation of the same. Usually in case like that i will take Labatt's
> Blue,
> > it is a bit more tasting than Molson Canadian or Export I always thougth
> > that Molson was very close to water.
>
> Really? I find that of the two Canadian is more drinkable than Blue. Blue
> used to be my beer of choice back when I was 17 and was happy to get my
> hands on anything that said "beer" on the label, but I've since decided
that
> I find its taste offensive.

I'm a bit of a cameleon, kind of an inside switch that put me in "drinking
beer" or "tasting beer" mode.

> > Personnaly i prefer stronger tasting beers like Unibrew products (not
all
> of
> > them, i don't like U and U2).
>
> It's Unibroue and I definitely agree with you,

I know but when i type in english my mind translate even what it shouldn't
(maudite traduction!)

> Don de Dieu, Maudite and La
> Fin Du Monde being my favorites. As for other Quebec-made beers, I've
grown
> to like Boreale, who have a decent red and a very nice dorée (golden) that
> has a nice honey flavour to it.. much better on tap though. Griffon has a
> very nice pale ale and I've just recently tried one called blonde
d'Achouffe
> which they classify as a "Strong Spicy Beer" ... produced by a brewery
> called le cheval blanc (the white horse). Very nice.
>
> Richard

Are you from Montreal? If you are you should go to Dieu Du Ciel brewpub, i
discovered it only a week ago but the beers are very good. If you are french
speaking (hard to say because Richard can be either french or english) you
can go to http://www.bieropholie.com/ the largest french speaking babillard
on the internet, you can see whatever is happening in the beer world arond
here and elsewhere.

Stephen Gilman

Oct 28, 2002, 11:09:07 PM10/28/02
In article <apg908$3f2a$1...@news3.infoave.net>, "Clint Eastwood (aka James
Anatidae)" <pars...@citcom.net> wrote:

> If you were dying of thirst and only two beers available were these, which
> would you choose?

Before they both (along with Sleeman) decided to stick it to the Brick
Brewing company over the stubby, I would have said Blue. Now I'm giving
up all Labatt, Molson and Sleeman products.

Richard

Oct 29, 2002, 11:04:13 AM10/29/02

> "Richard" <th...@is.invalid> a écrit dans le message de news:
> apk8t7$s96$1...@dns3.cae.ca...
> > "Altair" <sylvain.dupuis@NoSpam@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > > As a fellow Canadian these are local megabreweries products and lots
of
> > bars
> > > don't offer any microbreweries products or some event (like the
Montreal
> > > International Jazz Festival) are sponsored by megabreweries so you
don't
> > > even get to chose the megabreweries, you can only choose between a few
> >
> > Yes, but you can choose the type of beer that you smuggle into the Jazz
> > Fest.. ;)
> Hard to do when you go to inside show, i go see about 20 show inside each
> year.

You're right. I typically go to 20 outdoor shows and maybe one indoor show
every year, so I'm sure you can tell where my mind was on that one...

> > Really? I find that of the two Canadian is more drinkable than Blue.
Blue
> > used to be my beer of choice back when I was 17 and was happy to get
> > my hands on anything that said "beer" on the label, but I've since
decided
> > that I find its taste offensive.
> >
> I'm a bit of a cameleon, kind of an inside switch that put me in "drinking
> beer" or "tasting beer" mode.

Oh, me too, I'm still perfectly capable of buying a 24-pack of Blue Dry and
getting wasted with the guys without complaining about the poor quality of
beer. There are just certain beers that I will not drink even on those
occasions, Blue is one of them, 50 and Budweiser are two others.

<rant mode>

Personally I dislike Bud on two different levels. First, for me, it has a
decidedly boring taste, which means it'll never be a beer that I'll drink to
enjoy the flavour of a good beer. Then, to make matters worse, it doesn't
have that much alcohol, so if I'm drinking to get drunk, I'll slam one back
and feel gyped because I can taste the lack of alcohol as it goes down, so
it fails on that level, too.

</rant mode>

> > > Personnaly i prefer stronger tasting beers like Unibrew products
> > > (not all of them, i don't like U and U2).
> > It's Unibroue and I definitely agree with you,
> I know but when i type in english my mind translate even what it shouldn't
> (maudite traduction!)

hehehe..

> Are you from Montreal? If you are you should go to Dieu Du Ciel brewpub, i
> discovered it only a week ago but the beers are very good. If you are
french
> speaking (hard to say because Richard can be either french or english) you
> can go to http://www.bieropholie.com/ the largest french speaking
babillard
> on the internet, you can see whatever is happening in the beer world arond
> here and elsewhere.

Yes, I'm from Montreal. Oddly enough, you're the second person this week to
recommend Dieu Du Ciel, so I'm definitely going to have to check it out -
very soon. The same person that first told me about Dieu Du Ciel also
mentioned a place on Saint Laurent not too far from Mont Royal... Sgt
Recreuteur, I believe it was called, which is supposed to be really good,
too.

I'm an English-speaking Richard, mais je parle français assez bien, so I'll
definitely have to check out the message site you mentioned. Thanks for the
link!

Richard

Richard

Oct 29, 2002, 11:08:52 AM10/29/02
"J.Donnelly" <jwd...@psu.edu> wrote in message

> who wants a beer from America Jr.?
> let alone a beer from America?
> and I'M AMERICAN! ha ha

You need to get out more. There are some damn good beers produced in the US,
perhaps you just need to open your eyes and look past the MGD/A-B/Coors type
of stuff...

Richard

mr_worf12

Oct 30, 2002, 1:06:03 PM10/30/02
well coors isn't a good beer. they wouldn't know how to make a good beer if
you gave them step by step instructions.

Lew Bryson

Oct 30, 2002, 3:19:37 PM10/30/02
"mr_worf12" <mr_w...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> well coors isn't a good beer. they wouldn't know how to make a good beer
if
> you gave them step by step instructions.

Do you read these posts, or just reflexively post?

Greg Clow

Nov 1, 2002, 1:04:19 AM11/1/02

"Richard" <th...@is.invalid> wrote in message

> > Are you from Montreal? If you are you should go to Dieu Du Ciel brewpub
>

> Yes, I'm from Montreal. Oddly enough, you're the second person this week
> recommend Dieu Du Ciel, so I'm definitely going to have to check it out -
> very soon. The same person that first told me about Dieu Du Ciel also
> mentioned a place on Saint Laurent not too far from Mont Royal... Sgt
> Recreuteur, I believe it was called, which is supposed to be really good

I was in Montreal for a weekend this summer, and checked out both Dieu Du
Ciel (http://www.dieuduciel.com/) and Sgt. Recruteur
(http://www.sergent-recruteur.com/), and I highly recommend both of them.

I would strongly suggest requesting a tasting at both places. This is an
especially good deal at Sgt. Recruteur - if I recall correctly, I got a
half-pint sample of each of their 8 brews for only $12. Dieu Du Ciel had a
similar deal, although I think the samples were a little smaller. In both
cases, the beers were all excellent, except for the blueberry beer at Dieu
Du Ciel - it was quite sour, not to my taste at all.

Greg

Richard

Nov 1, 2002, 5:09:23 PM11/1/02
"Greg Clow" <gr...@stainedproductions.com> wrote in message

> I was in Montreal for a weekend this summer, and checked out both Dieu Du
> Ciel (http://www.dieuduciel.com/) and Sgt. Recruteur
> (http://www.sergent-recruteur.com/), and I highly recommend both of them.
>
> I would strongly suggest requesting a tasting at both places. This is an
> especially good deal at Sgt. Recruteur - if I recall correctly, I got a
> half-pint sample of each of their 8 brews for only $12. Dieu Du Ciel had a
> similar deal, although I think the samples were a little smaller. In both
> cases, the beers were all excellent, except for the blueberry beer at Dieu
> Du Ciel - it was quite sour, not to my taste at all.

Thanks for the info! It'd never even crossed my mind to ask for samples of
everything they had.

Richard

Altair

Nov 1, 2002, 6:10:47 PM11/1/02
"Richard" <th...@is.invalid> a écrit dans le message de news:
apuu3e$mr5$1...@dns3.cae.ca...

Don't forget "L'Amère à Boire" on St-Denis street :
http://www.amereaboire.com/
From wath i read elswhere "Dieu Du Ciel" (god of heaven for those needing
translation) is the best brewpub in Montreal, "L'amère à boire" is second
for beer but there is a fine restaurant next door owned by the same people
who serve food made with their beers.

"Le Sergent Recruteur" and "Brasserie du cheval blanc" are a bit less good
but not bad. There is also a new brewpub that opened 2 weeks ago (corner of
Duluth and St-Laurent, 9 east) that is quite promising according to people
who went there, it also serve fine food during the day of the week.

As for the degustation in DDC they have small glass for $1.

Ian

Nov 13, 2002, 2:57:12 PM11/13/02
I'd choose Canadian.