PPP, Linker, Packets & Email

defiance

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

Hey...

I've just recently changed my email address, and I believe it's already been
changed globally in FILEnet. I haven't recieved any packets or mail from
any nodes at all since. Plus I have tried to post to this newsgroup from
my BBS, and when I callout to FILEnet, I get a "441? Bad Internet Syntax" (I
think that's what it says), and nothing is sent. In addition to that, when
I use my new mail address in NET.INI, it doesn't check my email on my ISP,
but it does with the old address! When using the new address it downloads
the newsgroups fine, but doesn't even check the mail. Sound like an ISP
problem, or would it be a config problem? I would really hate to have to
reinstall everything again, for the millionth time. Hehe.

Also, I recently installed Linker for another network I host, and I was
wondering if it would have any conflicts with FILEnet, beings that you have
to rename NETWORK2.EXE and so forth... It seems to work great, but this
all happened at the same time so I was starting to wonder.

o_0 defiance 0_o

1...@544.FILEnet

Jayson Cowan

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

I garentee that it would not have any problems with filenet, in fact at one
time Linker was the
only way to get packets via PPP. It works good.

Mrs. Alpha

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

RE: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
BY: "defiance" <cli...@hotmail.com>

>> Also, I recently installed Linker for another network I host, and I was
>> wondering if it would have any conflicts with FILEnet, beings that you have
>> to rename NETWORK2.EXE and so forth... It seems to work great, but this
>> all happened at the same time so I was starting to wonder.

Do not rename network2, follow these simple instructions to set up linker the
easy fast way

There has been some confusion on how to set up Linker, so I will give everyone
the correct quick setup here.

Start with the file LINK39B1.ZIP

Unzip this entire file into your main bbs directory. Edit the file LINKER.DAT.

Put a ; on the left margin next to all the options that do NOT already have
one. The files you must have are LINKER.EXE, LINKER.DAT and LINKUTIL.EXE.

Go to each of your network directories (even the ones you do not plan to
Linker) and either make a file called EPREPROC.NET or add these lines to it.

Linker /I
Linker /O

Make sure you have this epreproc.net file in all of your net directories.
Now go to each network you plan to linker and edit the callout.net file, you
MUST remove the ; or linker will not work. You can also add a + to all the
networks you are linkering from.

After you have removed the semi-colon from each of the callout.net files, go
to your main bbs directory and type linkutil. This will bring up a menu,
select E for edit and then A for add. It will prompt you for a network name,
select the one you want it linkered FROM and then put in the node number you
call. It will confirm the actual name of that system. This one should get a
+ in the callout.net when you are all done.

Next it will ask you to select another network, choose the one you want it to
callout on. Then the node number of the system you call. The same prompt will
come up with the actual name of that system.

Continue to add one net at a time always linkering them to the same net for
that one call. Then go back and put the + in the callout.net(s) that need it.
And you are done.

תששת Ronda תששת

Origin: Ronda's Riverboat BBS [ASV/GSA] * 314-909-9998

Hobbit

Jun 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/26/98

RE: Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
BY: "Mrs. Alpha" <rr...@kcc1.com>

>There has been some confusion on how to set up Linker, so I will give everyone
>the correct quick setup here.

WOW! No wonder I never used Linker :) That may be a nice util, but that setup
sounds like a nitemare! I'll stick with Flink and that one little flink.ini
file for my stuff, thanks :)

God Bless!
Hobbit

* The Miller Music BBS - A Christ-Centered BBS - 24 hrs 7 days *
* 607-898-3139 24 Hrs. 7 Days LORD,Planets:TEOS,lots of others! *
* 28 gigs of Great Files! OS/2, Windows, Games, Utils, Patches, MORE! *
* Sysop - Hobbit 1@4295 (WWIVnet) or hob...@lightlink.com (Internet) *
* Team OS/2 Live so the Preacher won't have to lie at your funeral! *

Mrs. Alpha

Jun 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/26/98

RE: Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
BY: "Hobbit" <hob...@SPAMlightlink.com (remove SP

>> WOW! No wonder I never used Linker :) That may be a nice util, but that setu

>> sounds like a nitemare! I'll stick with Flink and that one little flink.ini
>> file for my stuff, thanks :)

That is the easy set up to just linker network packets, the real set up is a
huge problem and especially if you want to use other features. I only ever
used the packet linkering part, and I was actually one of the first. I swore
by it until flink came along and would switch until Twinkie made me <g>

תתשש Mrs.Alpha ששתת
rmk...@anet-stl.com - Ronda
rr...@kcc1.com - BBS

Jayson Cowan

Jun 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/27/98

Hobbit wrote in message <35941c6...@wwivbbs.org>...

>RE: Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email

>BY: "Mrs. Alpha" <rr...@kcc1.com>
>
>>There has been some confusion on how to set up Linker, so I will give
everyone
>>the correct quick setup here.
>

>WOW! No wonder I never used Linker :) That may be a nice util, but that

setup

>sounds like a nitemare! I'll stick with Flink and that one little flink.ini
>file for my stuff, thanks :)

What are you talking about?!?! I checked extencivly the Flink docs and I can
not see one thing in it that either makes it easier to install or easier to
setup Linked networks.

Linkutil makes all the LINKNETS.NET connections. To set up Linker all you
need to do is rename NETWORK2.EXE to NET2.EXE and rename LINKER.EXE to
NETWORK2.EXE. It is very simple. No more simple then copying FLINK.EXE into
your system directory Installing the MOD which allows FLINK to run and
makeing sure you have the DE555.EXE in your network dir. On top of that you
have to create connects in FLINK.INI.

CAN someone tell me where FLINK is bette?! I just don't get this. I find it
kinda disappointing I put a lot of effort into making Linker a good package
for people in WWIV and making it free and now first thing when I get back I
find out that this other software has taken over and cirtainly not for the
reasons people keep saying. Because FLINK is just as hard to set up. You can
not just plop the FLINK.EXE into the network dir and expect it to Link your
network packets. I have read the docs and that is not the case.

Well if someone can tell me the feature or features that make Flink better I
garantee the next version of Linker will have the option of working the
exact same way if someone chooses.

Hobbit

Jun 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/27/98

RE: Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
BY: "Jayson Cowan" <jay...@cyberdude.com>

>What are you talking about?!?! I checked extencivly the Flink docs and I can
>not see one thing in it that either makes it easier to install or easier to
>setup Linked networks.

Again, you seem to be so wound up, you missed the point :) <--THAT, for your
info, is a smiley.. When you see that after a remark, it means to unwind that
big bundle you got your underwear in!

The long and the short of it is that if someone already has something installed
and running, no amount of humiliation by another author is going to make them
switch, if it ain't broken... Sorry to see you taking this so personally, as
I've heard that Linker is a wonderful util.. Matter of fact, there are many
Filenet sysops who never used Flink as they already belonged to more than one
network and used Linker to bundle things up.

I'm not going to pretend that I could write my way out of a wet paper bag where
coding is concerned, so I can't begin to tell you what, if any, the differences
are between Flink and Linker, but I can tell you that by using Flink,
AutoConnect!, and the PPP software, all my packets go individually to the
intended node, provided that node is also in Filenet.. It works and a lot of us
are happy using what's already working.. Maybe Linker can do this as well, but
I can't think of a compelling reason to move from what I already have working.

Having said that, your previous post about sharing files thru Linker sounds
like a *great* idea, AND a real good reason to give it a shot! Is that going to
require modding or anything, or is it a function of Linker? How do others
subscribe to your filelists or whatever? Please continue!

Jayson Cowan

Jun 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/27/98

Mrs. Alpha wrote in message <359452d...@wwivbbs.org>...

>RE: Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
>BY: "Hobbit" <hob...@SPAMlightlink.com (remove SP

>>> WOW! No wonder I never used Linker :) That may be a nice util, but that
setu
>>> sounds like a nitemare! I'll stick with Flink and that one little
flink.ini
>>> file for my stuff, thanks :)
>
>That is the easy set up to just linker network packets, the real set up is
>huge problem and especially if you want to use other features. I only ever
>used the packet linkering part, and I was actually one of the first. I
swore
>by it until flink came along and would switch until Twinkie made me <g>

Well I am doing my best to have people switch back. I finished 3.9 version.
I will beta it in over the next week and will have a release version in 2
weeks.

New features. A flawless install. Your run it and it is installed. Also full
packscan feature support. YES INTERNAL file request support has been a
feature in WWIV for some time and with this new linker it will work without
a hitch.

The reasons to use Linker over Flink #1 it's faster #2 adds routing
information #3 has other features you can also use which are not that hard
to set up. It's as hard as playing with WWIV.INI. Maybe even easier
considering Linker.dat is well commented.

Linker seems to have been given a push to the side by zealots in filenet.
Really there is no reason to switch to FLink it is no harder to set up then
Linker. What made it so easy to switch to flink is that it used already
established LINKNETS.NET files and converted them over. So people got the
illusion of boy that was easier to set up then linker but really all it did
was use Linkers configuration information to speed up the process. The
software was designed by the author to Kill Linker. I even recall a
documentation file where the author of Flink says that FLink is ment to
replace Linker. Well I am here to say hey .. not. Out of 150 systems 80+ are
still using Linker. This is promising.

The new version of Linker will read Flink data files and switch ya back if
you wish.

Jayson Cowan

Jun 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/27/98

Post from Hobbit

>Having said that, your previous post about sharing files thru Linker sounds
>like a *great* idea, AND a real good reason to give it a shot! Is that
going to
>require modding or anything, or is it a function of Linker? How do others
>subscribe to your filelists or whatever? Please continue!

Your going to love this dude. Just for you the newest version of linker
installs just by running the software. When you made that comment that you
liked it when software just installs itself, I said why not. So it is in
there right now as I speak. Also I have added a program called autosend.exe
which is not autosend by it allows the internal autosend code within wwiv to
work with Linker. So again a feature that works without installation or
modding code. Also I have added more robust packscan support. When you
enable the PACKSCAN_FREQ option in WWIV.INI it allows you to send SSM's to
sysops who are in REMNOTE.DAT. Well LINKUTIL as a part of its mantanence
constucts a REMNOTE.DAT which containes all sysops using LINKER on all your
networks which contain a Linker.inf file. They will automaticly get SSM's of
files which are uploaded to your system.

The fun part about this is I worked in support for this all the way back to
3.3 and 3.4 of Linker so people with those version will be able to
participate as well.

What do you think?

Texan Hawk

Jun 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/27/98

RE: Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
BY: "Hobbit" <hob...@SPAMlightlink.com (remove SP

Ż<35941c6...@wwivbbs.org>
ŻRE: Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
ŻBY: "Mrs. Alpha" <rr...@kcc1.com>
Ż>There has been some confusion on how to set up Linker, so I will give everyon
Ż>the correct quick setup here.
ŻWOW! No wonder I never used Linker :) That may be a nice util, but that setup
Żsounds like a nitemare! I'll stick with Flink and that one little flink.ini
Żfile for my stuff, thanks :)
Ż God Bless!
Ż Hobbit
Ż *********************************************************************
Ż* The Miller Music BBS - A Christ-Centered BBS - 24 hrs 7 days *
Ż* 607-898-3139 24 Hrs. 7 Days LORD,Planets:TEOS,lots of others! *
Ż* 28 gigs of Great Files! OS/2, Windows, Games, Utils, Patches, MORE! *
Ż* Sysop - Hobbit 1@4295 (WWIVnet) or hob...@lightlink.com (Internet) *
Ż* Team OS/2 Live so the Preacher won't have to lie at your funeral! *
Ż *********************************************************************

I agr3ee man, flink is a lot easier o setup, and with glblflnk it fills in
the information automaticly., If thee's going to be a big trend to reuse
linker I'll have to switch, but I still prefer flink for ease of setup.

49 Seconds for that post.

Origin: Atomnos BBS * 412-766-8149

Wiz

Jun 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/27/98

Instance :Ü 3
Responding :Û Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
Written By :Û "Jayson Cowan" <jay...@cyberdude.com>
Reply Status:Û Reply if you want to...
ßßßßßßßßßßßßßß

>The new version of Linker will read Flink data files and switch ya back if
>you wish.

Hehehehe.... I don't wish to switch; I'm still running both. I'm assuming
that it will still be possible for them to coexist, as well?

--

* Any unsolicited commercial e-mail and/or the inclusion of my user-id
complaint to your internet provider.

"It's a mighty short trip, from the cradle to the crypt,
so you better get it while you can..."
--SG, The Ballad of Carl Martin

wiz {at} verinet {dot} com
ToV WWIV 4.24a @971.Filenet Loveland, CO

Jayson Cowan

Jun 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/27/98

Wiz wrote in message <3594e9...@wwivbbs.org>...

>Instance :Ü 3
>Responding :Û Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
>Written By :Û "Jayson Cowan" <jay...@cyberdude.com>
>Reply Status:Û Reply if you want to...
>ßßßßßßßßßßßßßß
>
>>The new version of Linker will read Flink data files and switch ya back if
>>you wish.
>
>Hehehehe.... I don't wish to switch; I'm still running both. I'm assuming
>that it will still be possible for them to coexist, as well?

Absolutely..

Michael Lerch

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

RE: Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
BY: "Jayson Cowan" <jay...@cyberdude.com>

>What do you think?

I think it's fantastic that you're back and supporting Linker! The new things
you're adding are going to make it easier to use for everybody. Obviously now
you must see that the older versions of Linker were not as utterly unflawed as
you seem to tout here because you have found ways to improve them and make them
easier to use.

Here's your challenge from me: you said Linker was faster than FLink. You're
crazy. FLink doesn't have to scan the whole packet, EVER. Linker does ALWAYS.
Your statement about speed was just plain wrong. So as you're improving
Linker, make it faster and you'll have WWIV's new killer app.

Mike Lerch

+-------------------------Blarty-Toot BBS-----------------------------+
+-Terre Haute, IN-----------WWIV v.4.24a----------------(812)234-9676-+

Michael Lerch

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

RE: Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
BY: "Jayson Cowan" <jay...@cyberdude.com>

>Linkutil makes all the LINKNETS.NET connections. To set up Linker all you

>need to do is rename NETWORK2.EXE to NET2.EXE and rename LINKER.EXE to
>NETWORK2.EXE. It is very simple. No more simple then copying FLINK.EXE into
>your system directory Installing the MOD which allows FLINK to run and
>makeing sure you have the DE555.EXE in your network dir. On top of that you
>have to create connects in FLINK.INI.

Um....FLink requires NO mod! The only mod you add (wholly optionally) for
FLink is the SAME one you add for Linker! The cleanup mod! Cripes, what is
your problem! Please see my earlier post about removing a network from init,
too.

Yeah, you have to create the connects in FLINK.INI (Just like you did before
LINKUTIL came along for Linker) but they're so simple, who cares? Nice little
one-line entries that use the real network names instead of the numbers in init
(minus 1, of course). No renaming of squat (which caused plenty of people
problems when they would upgrade their network software).

Jason, you are a hell of a programmer, but I don't know what you're talking
about here.

Michael Lerch

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

RE: Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
BY: "Jayson Cowan" <jay...@cyberdude.com>

>What are you talking about?!?! I checked extencivly the Flink docs and I can

>not see one thing in it that either makes it easier to install or easier to
>setup Linked networks.

Huh!? Dude...you're having delusions.

Jayson Cowan

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

Michael Lerch wrote in message <35964e4...@wwivbbs.org>...

>RE: Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
>BY: "Jayson Cowan" <jay...@cyberdude.com>
>
>>Linkutil makes all the LINKNETS.NET connections. To set up Linker all you
>>need to do is rename NETWORK2.EXE to NET2.EXE and rename LINKER.EXE to
>>NETWORK2.EXE. It is very simple. No more simple then copying FLINK.EXE
into
>>your system directory Installing the MOD which allows FLINK to run and
>>makeing sure you have the DE555.EXE in your network dir. On top of that
you
>>have to create connects in FLINK.INI.
>
>Um....FLink requires NO mod! The only mod you add (wholly optionally) for
>FLink is the SAME one you add for Linker! The cleanup mod! Cripes, what
is
>your problem! Please see my earlier post about removing a network from
init,
>too.

You do not know what your talking about that mod is optional you do not need
it for
linker as well.

>Yeah, you have to create the connects in FLINK.INI (Just like you did
before
>LINKUTIL came along for Linker) but they're so simple, who cares? Nice
little
>one-line entries that use the real network names instead of the numbers in
init
>(minus 1, of course). No renaming of squat (which caused plenty of people
>problems when they would upgrade their network software).

True and I have already taken steps to switch over to another system in the
new version.

>Jason, you are a hell of a programmer, but I don't know what you're talking
>about here.

A subjective statement. I could say the same about you.

Jayson Cowan

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

Michael Lerch wrote in message <35964e5...@wwivbbs.org>...

>RE: Re: PPP, Linker, Packets & Email
>BY: "Jayson Cowan" <jay...@cyberdude.com>
>
>>What do you think?
>
>I think it's fantastic that you're back and supporting Linker! The new
things
>you're adding are going to make it easier to use for everybody. Obviously
now
>you must see that the older versions of Linker were not as utterly unflawed
as
>you seem to tout here because you have found ways to improve them and make
them
>easier to use.
>
>Here's your challenge from me: you said Linker was faster than FLink.
You're
>crazy. FLink doesn't have to scan the whole packet, EVER. Linker does
ALWAYS.
>Your statement about speed was just plain wrong. So as you're improving
>Linker, make it faster and you'll have WWIV's new killer app.

I do not need to make it faster I already did a test and I posted my
results. Mind you yes Flink does not need to scan all packets. BUT if most
people who use flink ARE linking roughly 50% of their traffic(this is a
rough guess it is probably more in most cases).

So in my test I proved that flink takes 6x as long to process the name
number of linked packets. So if 50% of your traffic is linked then Flink is
taking 3x longer over all then Linker.

Flink is not faster that's Straight math.