Propecia: Great results + acne.....please help!

GEJames123

Apr 16, 2002, 9:32:17 PM4/16/02
Several years ago I began experiencing rapid diffuse thinning, so I lurked here
for a few months and eventually went to my derm asking for Propecia. Nine
months in and the results were far better than I had expected. I had regrown
nearly all of the hair I had lost and experienced negligible side effects....up
to that point.

Suddenly I began experiencing extremely oily facial skin and all types of
facial acne. I had severe acne as a teen (now 29), but I was never prone to
scarring. I was not so lucky this time. The acne took weeks or months to heal
and left some mild scarring. I decided to wait and see if this would pass, but
no luck. So at month eleven I tapered off Propecia. At the time I had a T
level test and it turned out to be above the normal range, so I concluded that
I was a victim of hyperandrogenicity.

Now, nine months off Propecia, my T levels are back to normal, the acne has
subsided, the scarring is not nearly as bad as it seemed at the time, and my
hair is falling out at a rapid pace.

Do I have any options at this point? Would a lower Propecia dose produce the
same effects, both positive and negative? Is there any way to reduce the
hyperandro while still achieving the same regrowth?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

George James

Bryan Shelton

Apr 17, 2002, 4:10:49 AM4/17/02
On 17 Apr 2002 01:32:17 GMT, gejam...@aol.com (GEJames123) wrote:

>Do I have any options at this point? Would a lower Propecia dose produce
>the same effects, both positive and negative? Is there any way to reduce
>the hyperandro while still achieving the same regrowth?

About all you can do is try a lower dose of finasteride and see what
happens, or try one of the topical approaches. Or maybe "split the
difference" by trying a much lower dose AND a topical approach!

Bryan

nojun...@accessv.com

Apr 17, 2002, 9:12:04 AM4/17/02
George, I'm not at doctor nor am I giving you medical advice. Your
best source for that is your dermatologist or family doctor.

Having said that, here is an option. Use the Propecia and treat the
acne, if acne was the only problem that resulted.

About 4 months ago I came across a study. Don't you just love the info
that's available on the net? Anyway after 2 weeks of taking
Pantothenic acid or vitamin B6 my acne completely disappeared. At
least I didn't have to use any creams.

The study had the participants use 10 grams per day initially. For me
3 grams per day has done it and now I need 2 grams. Zinc also helps
reduce acne or I suppose that you can use any of the commercial or
prescription treatments that are available. Good luck with your course
of action.

Dennis

nojun...@accessv.com

Apr 17, 2002, 9:24:24 AM4/17/02
On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:12:04 GMT, nojun...@accessv.com wrotf:

Anyway after 2 weeks of taking

I have a correction to make to my previous post. Pantothenic acid is
also known as Vitamin B5. Again it's B5.

richlocks

Apr 17, 2002, 2:26:35 PM4/17/02
Absolutely nojunk,

Pantothenic acid will knock out ANY acne you have, and will improve
the appearance of any scars because it shrinks pores. I had slight
scarring from acne when i was 17, but noone could tell and neither
could I unless under a very bright light that showed the depression,
but I still had better skin than most girls! When I used rogaine, I
started having all my pores enlarge all over, especially my face. My
skin looked horrible and quite scarred. After I dropped rogaine it
got a bit better, but than recently I started taking megadoses of
pantothenic acid (6 grams on average a day) because of the same study
that nojunk is talking about it. It shrunk the pores and makes my
skin look much better. No acne, no bumps, no nothing. Pretty smooth
skin. Give it a try, get the 500mg tablets and pop a few grams in the
morn and few grams at night.

Chuck

Apr 19, 2002, 7:59:46 PM4/19/02
gejam...@aol.com (GEJames123) wrote in message news:<20020416213217...@mb-fp.aol.com>...

You may want to try a really low dose of oral spiro in the morning and
in the evening--just a wee bit--enough to cut the edge off of the
abnormally high testosterone levels. This would also help with the MPB
a little as well.

ERNEST PRIMEAU

Apr 20, 2002, 12:16:43 AM4/20/02
Spiro has been proven to stop the growth of hair.Ernie