long term side effects after using finasteride

Les

Feb 17, 2002, 9:51:37 AM2/17/02
How many of you using finasteride (Proscar, Propecia) for some time and
then stopping have had long term side effects from these drugs? The
side effects I'm talking about are erectile dysfunction and loss of
libido that refuses to return to normal after one has stopped using
these drugs.

Josh

Mar 3, 2002, 2:19:42 AM3/3/02
Les <L...@nospam.org> wrote in message news:<3C6FC379...@nospam.org>...

Hello,

I have had the longterm sexual problems and they dont seem to be
getting any better. Its been 2yrs. Any ideas on what to do? How old
are you?
I am 24

Thanks,
josh

Message has been deleted

ghbeameup

Mar 3, 2002, 1:49:10 PM3/3/02
Forgive my top-posting but i know I hate scrolling down to read the
new stuff :o)

i had the same problem. I started finasteride at around 30 with a
raging libido. i used proscar/propecia for 18 months - no regrowth by
the way, just massive diffuse shedding which never grew back, a little
breast "fattiness" (i'm not sure you'd call it gyno) and steady
decrease in firmness of erections followed by total loss of libido
which persisted almost 2 years after i discontinued use of propecia. i
had bloodwork done to check for hormonal causes but everthing checked
out within the "normal" range. i finally checked out the
alt.support.impotence forum. based on stuff i read there i tried using
di-indolin to reduce estadiol, tribulus terrestris, and androderm to
try and bump up testoterone a bit. within 6-8 weeks my "breastiness"
was gone and my libido was back to it's pre-propecia levels. It could
all be coincidence i suppose and maybe it just took 2 years and 8
weeks to recover from the effects of the finasteride. YMMV. Good
Luck.

Nuclear

Mar 3, 2002, 11:50:14 PM3/3/02
I had the same problem since May 1999 - that's now verging on 3 years. I
took a few things like Arimidex, tribulus terrestris and have recovered
somewhat but never to pre May 1999 levels.

Watch out this stuff is dangerous and based on very bad, uninformed science.

Do you still take d-indolin and androderm etc?

"ghbeameup" <ghbe...@netscape.net> wrote in message

John G.

Mar 4, 2002, 2:06:13 PM3/4/02
I've been on Prop for 2 months now. I noticed shedding (that resulted in me
going from a Norwood 3 to a Norwood 4) in the first month, it seems to have
stopped. Also using Neutrogena T/Gel Shampoo every other day, with Progaine
shampoo the other day.

I've seen no effect on erectile function, or on volume of ejaculate. I have
seen a slight decrease in libido, which was actually a relief since I was
previously horny 24/7....

ghbeameup

Mar 4, 2002, 2:07:01 PM3/4/02
nope, i took di-indolin, etc. for around 6 weeks if my memory is
correct. incredibly, the "gyno" was almost completely eliminated
during that period and most of my libido was restored. my libido
continued to improve after i went off the di-indolin and i'd estimate
within 2-3 months from the time i started using it my libido and
sexual performance were back to pre-propecia levels. As an aside (and
as you may have deduced from my nickname), GHB now sends my libido
[and my ability to satisfy it - since flattering comments just come
pouring out uncontrollably under its benevolent influence:-)] through
the roof, WAY beyond pre-propecia levels but there may be legal
problems with its use depending on your location.

Nuclear

Mar 5, 2002, 7:51:54 AM3/5/02
Sounds like di-indolin and GHB is worth a try for those of us with
finasteride side effects that just don't seem to want to go away.

Thanks very much for the information.

Josh

Mar 12, 2002, 10:18:22 AM3/12/02
"Nuclear" <west...@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message news:<3c84b...@news.iprimus.com.au>...

> Sounds like di-indolin and GHB is worth a try for those of us with
> finasteride side effects that just don't seem to want to go away.

What was the exact dosages of the medications you took?
What brand of Tribulus did you take.
How long did you take it?
How old are you?
Do you have the any blood tests. If so, what ones?
I would like to compare them to mine

I hope you dont mind me asking all these questions, i am going to try
to convince my doctor to try what you did.

Thank you very much,
Josh

ghbeameup

Mar 20, 2002, 11:40:31 AM3/20/02
"Josh"

i'm 38 and i was around 35 when i recovered from the finasteride side
effects after about 2 years off it. i took the meds for about 8 weeks.
you don't need a doc to try this approach as all the drugs are over
the counter and available on the web.
As far as brands, i believe i got both tribulus and di-indolin at
www.netrition.com. i can't recall where i got androderm. try searching
the impotenence support forum. i don't recall dosages. i probabaly
just followed the directions on the containers of advice i got from
alec grynspan on the impotence support forum. i did had the lab tests
recommended by alec on that forum and don't have the results. sorry.
they were all in the "normal" range anyway.