Ford Aerostar solenoid problem

Edwin T.

Sep 6, 2011, 4:28:46 PM9/6/11
Have a 1990 Ford Aerostar and instaled a new solenoid bought from Autozone
for only 10 bucks. Well on first crank it starts but then the starter kept
turning and wouldnt stop cranking despite the fact that i put the key back
on the normal postition..so i quickly disconnect the negative cable. Did a
continuity on the solenoid and find that the circuit is stuck closed (on
postion)So i return the crap and get a 16 dollar Fran version and for a few
days it works fine..then one day..same problem again.This time i whack the
back of the solenoid onto a bench and retest the thing...and it comes back
fixed..(open circuit..Off position) My question is...is there something
that could cause this in my car to make it work like this? Or is Autozone
selling me shit made in China? I say this cause some forums have said that
some of the lower end outer tie rod ends have been having some issues on
quality.Wondering if the same applies to its solenoids.

cse...@mts.net

Sep 7, 2011, 9:14:42 AM9/7/11
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 16:28:46 -0400, "Edwin T." <ha10...@cavtel.net>
wrote:

It could also be that the starter is pulling too much amps and over
heating the solenoid - semi melted contact. Or the battery is not
producing the needed voltage and the starter is still looking it's
wattage - increased amps. Start with cleaning the batt cables and
ensuring tight connections at the starter and ground.

You need to check the battery condition and starter draw. Then point
fingers at the solenoid.