Gear shifter movement

Rick Brandt

Apr 17, 2005, 9:32:53 AM4/17/05
I have a 1994 Dodge Stealth with a manual five speed.

When traveling on a flat stretch of road I have noticed that if I alternate
between accelerating and engine breaking that the gear shifter moves back and
forth about 3/4 of an inch.

I can't say for certain that it has not always done this, but I have only
recently noticed it and I am wondering how much movement would be considered
normal and how much would indicate a problem. The amount of movement does vary
a bit depending on the gear I am in. It is most notable in fifth gear.

My first thought was a loose motor mount, but my initial examination of those
didn't show anything obvious. Are there other things I should be looking at?

TIA

Nobody U. Know

Apr 17, 2005, 9:42:40 AM4/17/05
You could check the linkage bolts, but I'm betting its the rear motor mount.

--
Todd Honea

"Rick Brandt" <rickb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

djmcre...@bellsouth.net

Apr 17, 2005, 10:19:30 AM4/17/05
sometimes the bushings in the shifter <under console> wear out look there
and see if you have worn out bushings

djmcre...@bellsouth.net

Apr 17, 2005, 12:45:28 PM4/17/05
check shifter bushing connecting linkage may be worn or broken. ASE
certified transmission tech...dont buy a new computer for you car have yours
repaired ask djmcre...@bellsouth.net

Peter @ Kempys

Apr 17, 2005, 9:04:03 PM4/17/05
also check the engine mounts as engine movement can be transmitted through
the cable to the shifter

wff...@bellsouth.net

May 7, 2005, 10:15:09 PM5/7/05
Movement is side to side , right? Is the shifter mouted on the tranny? Not
the body. if so 3/4" is no big deal, between loaded (pulling) and unloaded
(holding you back, using the motor to slow you down) 5th having longer legs
(if OD less than 1:1) and less umgh, giving the tranny the proverbale "short
end of the stick" and the rearend the big stick, causing load Vs. unload to
have more effect on the shifter.
Now if the shifter is mounted on the floorboard and conected via cables and
is moving 3/4" , you got problems.
good luck,lyndo

tom

May 8, 2005, 5:39:51 AM5/8/05
sounds like a broken motor or trans mount.
<wff...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Rick Brandt

May 8, 2005, 9:32:54 AM5/8/05

wff...@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Movement is side to side , right? Is the shifter mouted on the
> tranny? Not the body. if so 3/4" is no big deal, between loaded
> (pulling) and unloaded (holding you back, using the motor to slow you
> down) 5th having longer legs (if OD less than 1:1) and less umgh,
> giving the tranny the proverbale "short end of the stick" and the
> rearend the big stick, causing load Vs. unload to have more effect on
> the shifter.
> Now if the shifter is mounted on the floorboard and conected via
> cables and is moving 3/4" , you got problems.
> good luck,lyndo

No, movement is fore and aft. This is a front-drive transverse mount setup so
the engine actually "torque-rolls" parallel to the vehicles movement when
alternating between accel and decel. The tranny is under the hood towards the
passenger wheel and the shift linkage is with rods (not cables).

All of the bushings at both ends of the linkage rods are sound. With the hood
open, parking brake securely applied, the amount of engine movement I can see
from the drivers seat as I apply and remove tension with the clutch doesn't
appear to be that much and the three motor mounts I can examine from under the
hood look fine. I guess I'll get it up on some ramps to get a better look at
the lower rear mount.

My son had an older car in the past where I found one of the bolts had
completely fallen out of a motor mount. Other than that and the rubber getting
really broken up is there anything else to look for in a mount? I mean if the
rubber appears intact and the bolt is secure is that all there is to check or is
there a more definitive way to check a mount?

tom

May 8, 2005, 1:54:29 PM5/8/05
visual inspection of a motor mount is no good. it will look like brand new,
but when put under power it will lift off the steel mounting plate because
the rubber and steel separated. the only real way to check a mount is to put
pressure between the 2 mounting points and see if it stays or separates

"Rick Brandt" <rickb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Rick Brandt

May 8, 2005, 10:59:41 PM5/8/05
tom wrote:
> visual inspection of a motor mount is no good. it will look like
> brand new, but when put under power it will lift off the steel
> mounting plate because the rubber and steel separated. the only real
> way to check a mount is to put pressure between the 2 mounting points
> and see if it stays or separates

I will take another look then, but my mounts are a steel cylinder with a rubber
cylinder within (check this picture...

http://www.3sxperformance.com/engine-mounts.asp

...so I don't see how a separation between rubber and steel can happen.