Volvo Service Tech can't reset service light HELP

Nancy

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
i took my car in for the 90,000 service, about a week before the service
light starting blinking. The tech said he could not get the light to reset
and wants to charge me to figure out the problem. I asked them just to take
the bulb out and they said they couldn't. This is the 4th time this has
happened and its very frustrating. Does anyone know a way i could disable
this light without having to pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed.

Daniel the Red

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Nancy wrote:

> i took my car in for the 90,000 service, about a week before the service
> light starting blinking. The tech said he could not get the light to reset
> and wants to charge me to figure out the problem.

Imagine someone wanting money for the work he does. The nerve!

> I asked them just to take
> the bulb out and they said they couldn't.

Legally, they can't, because this is considered tampering with an
emissions-related component (the MIL is an emissions-related component).
Why should they risk a $10K EPA fine just 'cause you're some kind of a
tightwad?

> This is the 4th time this has
> happened and its very frustrating. Does anyone know a way i could disable
> this light without having to pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed.

Black electrical tape.

--Daniel
The truth is out there!
...Or is it in here? Or is it over there someplace?
--
NBCS b6f+wg++rp

Serial # 19781010

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
What model and year is the car?
Some 93 to 95 850's take 3 or 4 tries to get the light to stay off.
Bruce

>i took my car in for the 90,000 service, about a week before the service
>light starting blinking. The tech said he could not get the light to reset

>and wants to charge me to figure out the problem. I asked them just to take
>the bulb out and they said they couldn't. This is the 4th time this has

>happened and its very frustrating. Does anyone know a way i could disable
>this light without having to pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed.

BW

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 20:35:30 -0400, Daniel the Red :

>Imagine someone wanting money for the work he does. The nerve!

It is probably a so called techician that does not know how to reset
the service light.
If a 240 with airbag, the push reset linkage can break in behing the
instrument panel and make it more difficult to reset.
Like I said, somebody does not know what they are doing. Period

>> I asked them just to take
>> the bulb out and they said they couldn't.
>

>Legally, they can't, because this is considered tampering with an
>emissions-related component (the MIL is an emissions-related component).
>Why should they risk a $10K EPA fine just 'cause you're some kind of a
>tightwad?

The MIL light is the Check Engine light.
The light in question is the Service light.
The two are not the same.
Untill now, I did not know they could be confused between each other.
My bad.
The Service light has nothing to do with emissions.
The Service light can be removed.
It is a courtesy reminder to change the engine oil and perform the
milege service as needed.

>> This is the 4th time this has
>> happened and its very frustrating. Does anyone know a way i could disable
>> this light without having to pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed.
>

>Black electrical tape.
>
>--Daniel
>The truth is out there!
>...Or is it in here? Or is it over there someplace?
>--
>NBCS b6f+wg++rp

Nancy

Sep 28, 2000, 8:17:52 PM9/28/00
1995 850..

"Serial # 19781010" <Bruc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What model and year is the car?
> Some 93 to 95 850's take 3 or 4 tries to get the light to stay off.
> Bruce
>
> >i took my car in for the 90,000 service, about a week before the service
> >light starting blinking. The tech said he could not get the light to
reset

> >and wants to charge me to figure out the problem. I asked them just to
take
> >the bulb out and they said they couldn't. This is the 4th time this has

> >happened and its very frustrating. Does anyone know a way i could
disable
> >this light without having to pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed.

mal...@my-deja.com

Oct 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/1/00
This works on a 1999 S70: Turn ignition key from "off" to position II
three times while holding down the trip odometer reset button. On the
third time leave the key in the II "on" position, still holding down
the odo reset button. The light will begin to flash off and on for 10
seconds. When it starts to flash, release the odo reset button and the
light will be reset to "off" the next time you start up. Let me know
if this works on your 850.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

jsgjlee

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
Do you have another Volvo dealer around? If yes, try another one and get a
second
opinion.

Another Volvo dealer, Putnam Volvo Near San Francisco, we dealt with before,
wanted $65 to reset the service light of our 96 850 last year. I said bye to
them since
them. On the posting, other dealers charged $7.50, or min fee, or free to
reset the
service light.

J.
85 740
96 850

jsgjlee

rd

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Attached to the front of the computer box, adjacent to the windshield
washer fill tube, there is the test connector block. Remove the caps.
Insert the pin into plug numbered 7 in connector marked "A". The
ignition key must be in the run position. (Look at the end of the
ignition lock cylinder and you will see the following markings: 0=off I=
accessory, II=run III=start.) Depress the button four times, pause.
This will put you into reset mode. The LED will relight. While the LED
is lit, depress the button one time. Release. The LED will relight,
depress the button five times, each time will light the LED. Pause. When
the LED lights again depress the button one final time. Pause. The LED
you flash rapidly after a few seconds to acknowledge that the reset
operation has completed. The is the standard procedure for most 92-95
850's. However, the were a few "low line" cars that had a manual reset
button on the instrument cluster. To reset those remove the rubber plug
on the instrument face at the lower left side of the speedometer.
Depress the exposed button with a long skinny whatever (pen refill, 3mm
allen wrench, Pocket Phillips screwdriver, A/C thermometer, etc.) until
you feel a click. The light resets. 96 on cars can be reset with and
OBDII scan tool. 99 on cars use the procedure mentioned by Malcolm3.

Bob

mal...@my-deja.com

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
In article <8r7ldn$pvr$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Correction to the above: You only need to turn the switch once. That
is, hold down the odo reset button while the switch is off. Then turn
the switch on to position II, still holding down the odo reset button.
After a few seconds the light will blink. Release the reset button and
you're service light is reset. Sorry for the original error; that's
what happens when you don't refer to your sources and go on memory
alone!!!

Thomas Roed

Nov 1, 2000, 10:02:07 PM11/1/00
On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 20:02:16 -0400, rd <rad...@ioip.com> wrote:

>Attached to the front of the computer box, adjacent to the windshield
>washer fill tube, there is the test connector block. Remove the caps.
>Insert the pin into plug numbered 7 in connector marked "A". The
>ignition key must be in the run position. (Look at the end of the
>ignition lock cylinder and you will see the following markings: 0=off I=
>accessory, II=run III=start.) Depress the button four times, pause.
>This will put you into reset mode. The LED will relight. While the LED
>is lit, depress the button one time. Release. The LED will relight,
>depress the button five times, each time will light the LED. Pause. When
>the LED lights again depress the button one final time. Pause. The LED
>you flash rapidly after a few seconds to acknowledge that the reset
>operation has completed. The is the standard procedure for most 92-95
>850's. However, the were a few "low line"

(((Low Line???)))) My 90 780 Bertone had a rubber plug on the
instrument cluster. And I didn't think the 780 was low line.
Best,Tom)))))