How do you replace the Vacuum Solenoid for the EGR on a 1996 Camry 4 cylinder

SMS

Sep 28, 2009, 7:00:03 PM9/28/09
How do you replace the vacuum solenoid on a 1996 Camry 4 cylinder

From looking at the solenoid it looks like from the bottom you have to
remove the right half axle. Is there any easier way to get to it?

Ray O

Sep 28, 2009, 11:31:00 PM9/28/09

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

> How do you replace the vacuum solenoid on a 1996 Camry 4 cylinder
>
> From looking at the solenoid it looks like from the bottom you have to
> remove the right half axle. Is there any easier way to get to it?

IIIRC, the 1996 Camry 5SFE engine's EGR system does not have a vacuum
solenoid and uses vacuum switching valves instead.

What symptoms are you getting and how did you determine that the part you
are looking at needs replacement?

www.autozone,.com has on line repair info if you register your vehicle. The
guide will help you identify the parts and test them to see if they are
functioning properly or not.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

SMS

Sep 29, 2009, 5:10:25 AM9/29/09
Ray O wrote:
> "SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> How do you replace the vacuum solenoid on a 1996 Camry 4 cylinder
>>
>> From looking at the solenoid it looks like from the bottom you have to
>> remove the right half axle. Is there any easier way to get to it?
>
> IIIRC, the 1996 Camry 5SFE engine's EGR system does not have a vacuum
> solenoid and uses vacuum switching valves instead.

Doesn't VSV stand for "vacuum solenoid valve?" In any case there is a
solenoid in the valve that is normally closed and opens when the ECM
energizes it.

I didn't determine that it was the VSV, the mechanic did. First thing he
did was test that the EGR valve was okay, using a Mighty Vac like tool.

The he checked the vacuum coming out of the hose from the vacuum
solenoid valve, and it was always present (solenoid not energized so
valve was closed) and he said that it should not have always been
closed. Either the valve is not being energized (opening to bleed off
vacuum) by the ECM, or the solenoid in the valve failed or is unable to
operate the valve. It's not likely that it's clogged because then you
would not be getting vacuum at all at the EGR.

Based on this he said it was "90%" likely that it was the VSV. From what
I've read on other forums about the P0401 error this seems likely, i.e.:
"Generally, it seems the VSV is the most likely P0401 culprit, followed
by the EGR valve if the car has high mileage, and third the modulator"
and "The vacuum switching valve frequently fails. You test it for
resistance and test it to see that it pases a vacuum when energized but
they fail intermittently when driving."

Could be the EGR modulator as well, but he didn't think so, not sure of
the reason, but perhaps it's because he sees a lot more VSV failures. He
doesn't stock the VSVs because they're expensive and there are too many
of them. He had one in stock for a RAV4 where the customer never came
back to have it installed, but it wasn't the same one I needed. It was
already noon and he was really busy and he didn't have someone to send
out to get the part from the dealer, so he can have it delivered
tomorrow. I also noticed the the big air hose that goes into the
manifold by the IACV was cracked by the clamp so I need to get one of
those as well (and don't get me started about Toyota Idle Air Control
Valves which are not one of Toyota's greatest engineering triumphs).

I did find some information about accessing the VSV which confirmed my
thought that it might be accessible by removing the right front wheel,
though this was for a 1997 which is the next generation Camry from the 1996.

There is a long description of doing the 1997 VSV replacement at
"http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/camry/73797-diy-camry-2-2l-2001-vsv-3/"
(do a text search for "09-07-2008, 04:46 PM" on that page).

Since one of the mechanics where I go is very deft at getting into these
tight spaces with his small hands, I'm going to let him do it. Maybe
there should be more women mechanics because they have smaller hands as
well.

Ray O

Sep 29, 2009, 2:28:15 PM9/29/09

> Ray O wrote:
>> "SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>>> How do you replace the vacuum solenoid on a 1996 Camry 4 cylinder
>>>
>>> From looking at the solenoid it looks like from the bottom you have to
>>> remove the right half axle. Is there any easier way to get to it?
>>
>> IIIRC, the 1996 Camry 5SFE engine's EGR system does not have a vacuum
>> solenoid and uses vacuum switching valves instead.
>
> Doesn't VSV stand for "vacuum solenoid valve?" In any case there is a
> solenoid in the valve that is normally closed and opens when the ECM
> energizes it.
>
> I didn't determine that it was the VSV, the mechanic did. First thing he
> did was test that the EGR valve was okay, using a Mighty Vac like tool.

VSV stands for "vacuum switching valve." While most VSV's are controlled by
manifold vacuum or by temperature, some are controlled electrically. Does
the valve in question have wires going to it or just vacuum hoses?

> The he checked the vacuum coming out of the hose from the vacuum solenoid
> valve, and it was always present (solenoid not energized so valve was
> closed) and he said that it should not have always been closed. Either the
> valve is not being energized (opening to bleed off vacuum) by the ECM, or
> the solenoid in the valve failed or is unable to operate the valve. It's
> not likely that it's clogged because then you would not be getting vacuum
> at all at the EGR.
>
> Based on this he said it was "90%" likely that it was the VSV. From what
> I've read on other forums about the P0401 error this seems likely, i.e.:
> "Generally, it seems the VSV is the most likely P0401 culprit, followed by
> the EGR valve if the car has high mileage, and third the modulator" and
> "The vacuum switching valve frequently fails. You test it for resistance
> and test it to see that it pases a vacuum when energized but they fail
> intermittently when driving."

Yup, this is the correct test.

> Could be the EGR modulator as well, but he didn't think so, not sure of
> the reason, but perhaps it's because he sees a lot more VSV failures. He
> doesn't stock the VSVs because they're expensive and there are too many of
> them. He had one in stock for a RAV4 where the customer never came back to
> have it installed, but it wasn't the same one I needed. It was already
> noon and he was really busy and he didn't have someone to send out to get
> the part from the dealer, so he can have it delivered tomorrow. I also
> noticed the the big air hose that goes into the manifold by the IACV was
> cracked by the clamp so I need to get one of those as well (and don't get
> me started about Toyota Idle Air Control Valves which are not one of
> Toyota's greatest engineering triumphs).

The problem wasn't so much with the IAC valve but with contamination from
the PCV system. If the PCV fed the intake elsewhere, it wouldn't gum up the
IAC valve.

> I did find some information about accessing the VSV which confirmed my
> thought that it might be accessible by removing the right front wheel,
> though this was for a 1997 which is the next generation Camry from the
> 1996.
>
> There is a long description of doing the 1997 VSV replacement at
> "http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/camry/73797-diy-camry-2-2l-2001-vsv-3/"
> (do a text search for "09-07-2008, 04:46 PM" on that page).
>
> Since one of the mechanics where I go is very deft at getting into these
> tight spaces with his small hands, I'm going to let him do it. Maybe there
> should be more women mechanics because they have smaller hands as well.

There were a couple of female technicians at the dealerships I called on.
One was not petite and would have the same trouble in tight spaces as her
male counterparts. The other was pretty petite and her ability to reach
into tight spaces was offset by the lack of strength to muscle an engine or
transmission into place although she was very good at convincing customers
to all the recommended services performed since the window in the customer
lounge looked right over her bay.

SMS

Sep 29, 2009, 9:24:49 PM9/29/09
Ray O wrote:

> VSV stands for "vacuum switching valve." While most VSV's are controlled by
> manifold vacuum or by temperature, some are controlled electrically. Does
> the valve in question have wires going to it or just vacuum hoses?

Wires.

Anyway, I'll know on Thursday if the VSV fixes it. He's too booked up
tomorrow and since he charges me very little labor, if any, I have low
priority.

Ray O

Sep 30, 2009, 1:13:50 AM9/30/09

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

I understand his sentiment. I don't charge people to work on their cars,
but I appreciate it if they can work around my schedule.

SMS

Sep 30, 2009, 11:55:19 AM9/30/09
Ray O wrote:

> I understand his sentiment. I don't charge people to work on their cars,
> but I appreciate it if they can work around my schedule.

I just have to keep buying Toyotas since that's the vehicle he's most
familiar with. Toyota set up an automotive technical training program at
a local community college, and it's not only for new mechanics but
continuing education classes for existing mechanics as well. My mechanic
is nearing 60 years old and he still goes to those classes. Plus if he's
ever stumped on a problem he can call someone from Toyota and get free
advice.

Ray O

Sep 30, 2009, 12:56:11 PM9/30/09

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

The Toyota Technical Education Network, or T-TEN, started when I was still
with the company. It is a way for dealers to get technicians with actual
formal training, and the schools that participate get not only technical
material like repair manuals, they also get the syllabus that Toyota
in-house trainers use as well as transmissions, engines, etc. to work on.

SMS

Oct 6, 2009, 5:34:34 PM10/6/09
Ray O wrote:

> The problem wasn't so much with the IAC valve but with contamination from
> the PCV system. If the PCV fed the intake elsewhere, it wouldn't gum up the
> IAC valve.

What's your experience with after-market IAC valves? The current valve
has been removed and cleaned many times, and cleaning just isn't doing
it any more.

The new VSV appears to have fixed the EGR trouble code. By the time I
got out of there with the new VSV, Air Intake Hose, front and rear brake
jobs, oil change, and transmission oil change it was $450. All Toyota
OEM parts so it wasn't too outrageous, though it was my own oil filter.
The oil pan gasket appears to be leaking a bit but the mechanic said to
forget about it, that they all do that eventually and it wasn't worth
replacing on a 14 year old car.

Ray O

Oct 6, 2009, 5:44:44 PM10/6/09

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

I do not have any experience with aftermarket IAC valves. If the IAC gets
gummed up quickly, you could have a lot of blowby of a bad PCV valve. Try
replacing the PCV valve and clean or replace the hose between the PCV valve
and throttle body. I'd bet that the inside of the hose is coated with the
same gung that is fouling the IAC valve.