EGR Valve: Replacement

Adam

Dec 13, 2001, 8:49:13 PM12/13/01
Greetings all,

I failed 2 consecutive emissions test here in Ontario with my 90 Camry. Too
much Nitrous Oxide. The shop told me I needed a new EGR Valve ($320 +
labour + tax = $600). Is there a cheaper alternative to replacing the EGR
valve? I'm not sure what it does, but I believe it has a direct
relationship to Nitrous Oxide levels. Can I simply clean it out, or do I
have to replace the valve completely? If so, can someone please provide
some pointers for cleaning it out?

Also, I've been getting pretty poor gas mileage for the past 2 months, is
this any how related to the EGR valve? Someone suggested that I replace the
catalic converter to reduce Nitrous Oxide emissions. Is this true? I'm
pretty desperate. Thanks for all the help.

Adam

Aaron Akerman

Dec 13, 2001, 10:36:44 PM12/13/01
Yes put in a full tank of Super unleaded there are also some additives that
are made (check the internet) that will help your car burn clean enough
(temporarily) to pass the test and save the $600.

"Adam" <yu23...@yorku.ca> wrote in message

JK2

Dec 14, 2001, 4:39:14 AM12/14/01
"Adam" <yu23...@yorku.ca> wrote in message
> I failed 2 consecutive emissions test here in Ontario with my 90 Camry.
Too
> much Nitrous Oxide. The shop told me I needed a new EGR Valve ($320 +
> labour + tax = $600

Excessive NOx is one of the typical signs of a bad EGR valve or of an engine
running too hot (check timing, plugs, overly lean mixture?). $600 sounds way
too high to replace an EGR valve. It's not likely to be your catalytic
converter.

Jerry

Dec 14, 2001, 12:12:48 PM12/14/01
"Adam" <yu23...@yorku.ca> wrote in message

> The shop told me I needed a new EGR Valve ($320 + labour + tax = $600). Adam

My egr valve on my 93 v6 camry started leaking anti-freeze. Cost $500
U.S. to replace and an additional $45 for coolant service. Not cheap!

Derald Martin

Dec 14, 2001, 12:32:50 PM12/14/01
>Can I simply clean it out, or do I
>have to replace the valve completely? If so, can someone please provide
>some pointers for cleaning it out?
Exhaust Gas Recirculation lowers combustion temperature, thereby,
reducing NOx emissions. Dunno about "cleaning" the valve but you might
want to diagnose the EGR control system before jumping into a
high-priced replacement. On older engines, the controller was a simple
temperature-controlled vacuum-switching valve installed into the water
jacket.
--
Derald Martin

Hawk

Dec 14, 2001, 2:45:36 PM12/14/01
EGR = exhaust gas recirculation.

My opinion:
I am not familiar with the 90 Camry, but I know that when the car is cold,
the EGR valve is closed and fresh, clean air goes into the engine. But once
the engine is warmed up, the EGR valve opens and starts recirculating
exhaust gases into your engine - mixed with clean air. It sounds like the
EGR valve won't open, i.e. it is damaged and this is causing your emissions
test fault. Generally these are easy to change yourself as it is usually
around the base of the air intake. Try Crappy Tire for the part and get
ahold of a Hayes manual at Chapters or Coles Bookstore ($20 or just read it)
to tell you where it is. This should save you some cabbage.

H2Only

Dec 17, 2001, 7:03:26 PM12/17/01

Hi Adam:

I recently went through the same problem with my 90 Camry. Look for
the thread "90 Camry Flunked Emissions - UPDATE" on 31 July or 1
August.

The results of the E-test are a good diagnostic tool, and I'm now a
believer, since each of my Camrys had a problem that I wasn't aware
of, and are now running better (when are they going to take on dump
trucks, though???).

Here's my advice:

(1) DON'T waste money (and time) on "guaranteed" cleaning treatments.
There are no magic elixers. A clogged EGR and other significant
deficiencies will NOT be helped by these. Premium gas will not help
very much (my 86 passed the retest with a quarter tank of 5 month old
regular gas).

(2) If you can't do it yourself, take the car to an independent
mechanic (preferably one familiar with Toyotas) and ask him to remove
the EGR and steel tube that runs to the manifold. Mine was 80%
clogged, but very easy to clean. Should take 1.5 hours max. for a
pro; the only problem is access through all kinds of cables and hoses.

(3) At the age of this car, cleaning the throttle body is probably a
good idea. I was shocked at how much gunk was in my entire intake
system.

(4) DON'T replace the convertor (or oxygen sensor) without a good
reason to do so. It may help you get past testing, but you can mask
the real problem(s) and still suffer poor performance/low MPG
afterward.

Good luck,
H2Only