P0773 - shift solenoid e circuit electrical

badgolferman

Dec 13, 2008, 2:52:42 PM12/13/08
That is the code of the Check Engine light which came on today. I had
just pulled out of a parking lot when it illuminated. Nothing felt
different when driving. I became nervous since I had my kid in the car
and had just changed my oil earlier this morning. I was wondering if
the oil was leaking out or something funny was happeneing since I used
Castrol instead of the usual Valvoline.

I took it to Advance Auto and they hooked up the OBDII analyzer and
gave me the code {P0773 - shift solenoid e circuit electrical}. I
asked for it to be reset but he said they can't however if I was
holding the analyzer I could. I erased the code and have driven around
for a few miles and it remains normal.

What is the code in relation to and what should I be wary of? Is it
serious?

Jeff

Dec 13, 2008, 4:22:36 PM12/13/08
On Dec 13, 2:52 pm, "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolfer...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Details, please:

What model, year, mileage on the car, truck or other type of vehicle?

Hachiroku ハチロク

Dec 13, 2008, 4:56:13 PM12/13/08

The shift solenoids are in the transmission. I believe the way they work
is to actuate and change the flow of ATF through the system, but I'm not
completely sure, so don't quote me. In the Supra they are 1,2, 3 and
Lock-Up. I would guess shift solenoid E is the last one in the system,
and probably controls the lockup torque converter. You won't notice it in
town, but if you get to a situation where you're >45 MPH you may notice
the last 'gear' isn't engaging.

It could be gummed up fluid and requires a flushing or removing the pan
and cleaning, or, worst case, they've gone back to using the solenoids
they were using in the 86.5-90 Supra and needs to be replaced. They should
be visible when you drop the pan.

IIRC, solenoids for my Supra are $135 each, or in my case I can get them
from Chrysler (they used the same tranny in Jeep Grand Cherokees) for $72
each...

john...@hotmail.com

Dec 13, 2008, 6:18:04 PM12/13/08
Solenoid E, IIRC, is the one responsible for torque converter lock up.
Typically on a Toyota this is on the outside of the transmission near
the neutral safety switch. If you take it to highway speeds and
maintain steady cruising, a malfunctioning solenoid won't make the
converter lock up and give you a lower RPM (saves fuel).

These Toyota Aisin transmissions are quite dirty. That's why I say a
strainer no longer than 30K miles. Drain/refill no longer than 15K
miles, if not more often. Cleanliness and fluid level accuracy are
important when dealing with transmissions.

Check rockauto.com and transtarindustries.com for Solenoid E prices.

On Dec 13, 11:52 am, "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolfer...@gmail.com>

badgolferman

Dec 13, 2008, 6:18:14 PM12/13/08

1997 Camry LE 2.2. 164,000 miles

Ray O

Dec 13, 2008, 11:23:55 PM12/13/08

"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Shift solenoid e is solenoid SL in the valve body and controls the torque
converter lock-up. If the solenoid fails, it fails safe so that you will
end up with a 4 speed transmission without a lockup torque converter. To
check the solenoid, you will need a replacement transmission pan gasket and
some replacement ATF (Check to be sure, but I believe your car takes Dexron
III). Drain the transmission pan, remove the pan. If you are in the rust
belt, be careful removing the pan bolts as they may be rusted. If they are
rusted, apply a rust penetrant like PB Blaster, wait an hour, apply again,
then carefully loosen the bolts. Remove shift solenoid SL from the valve
body and measure resistance between the two terminals on the wires connected
to the solenoid. It should measure between 11 and 15 ohms. If that checks
out, apply 2 volts to the 2 terminals and see if it makes a clicking sound.
If the resistance is not correct or if you do not hear clicking, replace the
solenoid. Before you replace the transmission pan, take a look at the
screen. It will probably be clean, but while you are in there, looks are
free ;-)

When you replace the transmission pan, tighten the bolts finger-tight, then
tighten in a star pattern and refill with ATF.

Good luck!
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

badgolferman

Dec 26, 2008, 2:38:35 PM12/26/08

The light has come and gone twice now. The dealer says there is a
broken wire in the harness that goes from the computer to the
transmission. Labor alone is $375. No full quote yet. I asked what
if I don't do get this fixed? He says over time the transmission will
begin to act up since it won't get proper information. Any thoughts?

Ray O

Dec 26, 2008, 4:35:16 PM12/26/08

"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I would invest $10 for access to techinfo.toyota.com to get the wiring
diagram for your vehicle so you know which color wire you are tracing, then
do a continuity check between the connector for the solenoid and the
transmission ECU. The easiest repair would be to solder splice a new wire
between the connectors.

The problem if you don't get it fixed is that you will have a check engine
light illuminated most of the time, and the vehicle will not pass an
emissions test with a check engine light illuminated or a trouble code
stored in the ECU.

badgolferman

Dec 26, 2008, 10:30:50 PM12/26/08

I gave them the go-ahead to do the job. The dealer called me back
hours later and said the defective wire has been replaced but the code
still appears. The Check Engine light comes and goes. They did not
charge me for the work already done and asked me if I could leave the
car. I told them I need it over the weekend. I'm supposed to take it
back on Monday now.

What are the chances the transmission fluid and the filter just need to
be serviced?

Ray O

Dec 27, 2008, 1:38:15 AM12/27/08

"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Unfortunately, pretty slim. The next step is to drop the transmission pan
and test the solenoid itself.

badgolferman

Jan 3, 2009, 3:26:35 PM1/3/09

I took the car to the transmission shop. The guy checked it / drove it
around for a while and said mechanically it is working perfectly fine
and was even complimentary of the ride for its advanced age. He
suggested leaving it alone until there is some sort of definitive sign
of trouble.

The Check Engine light comes and goes but apparently the code remains
in memory and can't be cleared permanently. Why would the light reset
itself?

Ray O

Jan 4, 2009, 1:35:36 AM1/4/09

"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

If the problem is intermittent, the light will not be illuminated in the
absence of a problem but the trouble code will probably still be stored in
the car's memory.

doncee

Jan 4, 2009, 8:47:36 AM1/4/09
"Ray O" <roki...@NOSPAMtristarassociates.com> wrote in

No tranny expert here but my father-in-law had a similiar intermittent
problem albeit w\ a Ford(yuk)couple years ago. Very reputable mechanic
made several attempts at repair & replaced various parts including a
shift solenoid as indicated by the cel. Wound up at the dealer w\ it &
they swapped a known good computer in & kept it & drove it for several
days & to date light has never come back on. Just a thought.
dc

Ray O

Jan 4, 2009, 11:38:07 AM1/4/09

"doncee" <nopsam...@nospamswbell.wanted> wrote in message

While it is possible that the computer is causing the malfunction indicator
light to illuminate, the likelihood of a computer failing on a Toyota is
very low, something like one in a million.