dissapointing toyota quality

1 view
Skip to the first unread message

badgolferman

1 Mar 2003, 23:47:1101/03/2003
My 1997 Camry LE has developed yet another problem. Today when washing the
car, I noticed the clear coat peeling off the bottom of the fender behind
the front left wheel.

In the 1 year and 16,000 miles I've owned this car, it has needed a valve
and piston ring replacement, it's developed a squeaky front strut, the
transmission isn't always very smooth going into overdrive, and now this.

This vehicle has a Japanese VIN and is becoming a dissapointment in my eyes.
What happened between redesigns? I am very pleased with my 1994 LE which
was made in USA and can't understand how the next generation became an
inferior quality product from Toyota. Most of the posts I've seen on these
newsgroups dealing with serious problems are regarding the 1997-2001 Camrys.

I am not one of those people who tries to stir up trouble. But I must say
that Toyota is losing their reputation for quality in many circles and it
will come back to haunt them.

Art Begun

2 Mar 2003, 01:15:1302/03/2003
I don't have much respect for Toyota quality these days but I am the
original owner of a 2001 Avalon and I know its history from the
beginning.

On the otherhand, perhaps the car you own was not maintained properly
or was in an accident. That would explain some of the problems you
are having and have nothing to do with Toyota quality.

"badgolferman" <badgol...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Andrew Becker

2 Mar 2003, 08:34:5902/03/2003
"Art Begun" <beg...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<b3s7gr$7v$1...@slb9.atl.mindspring.net>...
I recently purchased a used 97 Camry XLE. I just finished yesterday
changing the struts on all four corners. I did this because it needed
front strut mounts and I figured why not do struts and get it over
with. It has 70,000 on the odometer and I know that the car frequently
carried four passengers. I also own a '92 Corolla with 194,000 miles
on it. It still has the original timing belt, water pump, and fans
belts. It is getting real tired now - but still get 30mpg!!
I too, am worried for Toyota because I feel it the only car
manufacturer that makes a decent vehicle that lasts. I hear your
concern and HOPE that Toyota people read this newsgroup. If they
really want to know what we think, It's all right here.

Good luck with your Camry. I'll post any woes I have with mine (I hope
my paint doesn't start peeling too)

Andy

Curtis Newton

2 Mar 2003, 09:39:5902/03/2003
On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 04:47:11 GMT, "badgolferman"
<badgol...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My 1997 Camry LE has developed yet another problem. Today when washing the
>car, I noticed the clear coat peeling off the bottom of the fender behind
>the front left wheel.
>
>In the 1 year and 16,000 miles I've owned this car, it has needed a valve
>and piston ring replacement, it's developed a squeaky front strut, the
>transmission isn't always very smooth going into overdrive, and now this.

You don't mention how the previous owner took care of the
car.....also, you don't mention how many miles are on the car
currently.

Did the previous owner do the recommended service intervals (i.e.
transmission fluid replacement, oil/filter change, etc)???

I don't think a near 6 year old car needing struts replaced (on the
front) is out of the ordinary.

As for the clear coat, was the car previously involved in an
accident??

-
--
Curtis Newton
cne...@remove-me.akaMail.com

MDT Tech®

2 Mar 2003, 10:27:2202/03/2003
badgolferman wrote:
> My 1997 Camry LE has developed yet another problem. Today when washing the
> car, I noticed the clear coat peeling off the bottom of the fender behind
> the front left wheel.
>
> In the 1 year and 16,000 miles I've owned this car, it has needed a valve
> and piston ring replacement, it's developed a squeaky front strut, the
> transmission isn't always very smooth going into overdrive, and now this.

Well, being as its a 1997, we can assume the 16,000 miles is in addition
to the ones that were already on it, so we'd like to know how many total
miels are on it. Clear coat chips, especially behind the wheels where
rocks are tossed up. Also if one area fails and no other area does, I've
found 99.99999% of the time that area had a fender refinished by a body
shop.

> This vehicle has a Japanese VIN and is becoming a dissapointment in my eyes.
> What happened between redesigns? I am very pleased with my 1994 LE which
> was made in USA and can't understand how the next generation became an
> inferior quality product from Toyota. Most of the posts I've seen on these
> newsgroups dealing with serious problems are regarding the 1997-2001 Camrys.
>
> I am not one of those people who tries to stir up trouble. But I must say
> that Toyota is losing their reputation for quality in many circles and it
> will come back to haunt them.

Buy another rig and you'll be right back. Clear chipping vs tranny
failures, not a real comparison.

Slick

2 Mar 2003, 11:54:1702/03/2003
Original Timing belt? I hope that you do not make long trips. You are
playing Roulette.

Philip®

2 Mar 2003, 11:53:0402/03/2003
Curtis Newton wrote:
>SNIP<

> I don't think a near 6 year old car needing struts replaced (on the
> front) is out of the ordinary.
>
> As for the clear coat, was the car previously involved in an
> accident??

EVERYONE has to look around at ALL other car brands here. ALL car
manufacturers for the past 15-20 yrs has had to take nearly all the
solvents (Volatile Organic Compounds) out of their paints, thanks to
the various GREEN organizations who screw up other areas of our lives.
Automotive paints won't survive regular automated carwash visits like
they used to 20 yrs ago and are more vulnerable to "refractive" damage
(water droplets focus sunlight on the paint underneath like a
magnifying glass thus pitting the paint).

The right way to wash your car NOW is to do in the shade, by hand, NO
brushes, using automotive designed shampoo, and dried thoroughly before
letting direct sunshine hit the paint.

--
Philip

Homeland Security without illegal immigration
control is like changing the batteries in your
smoke detector while the house is burning.

Sonny

2 Mar 2003, 11:58:2902/03/2003
You could always sell it and get something you are happy with.

badgolferman

2 Mar 2003, 15:33:3802/03/2003
I thought I was going to be happy with this one when I bought it based on
how happy I am with my 1994 Camry. I have been considering this.

badgolferman

2 Mar 2003, 15:42:2802/03/2003
> You don't mention how the previous owner took care of the
> car.....also, you don't mention how many miles are on the car
> currently.

This vehicle has 76,000 miles on it.

> Did the previous owner do the recommended service intervals (i.e.
> transmission fluid replacement, oil/filter change, etc)???

I don't know. The dealer indicated it had been well maintained in the time
they had serviced it. We all know that could mean anything.

> I don't think a near 6 year old car needing struts replaced (on the
> front) is out of the ordinary.

At 76,000 miles? My 1994 has 145,000 miles on it and it has had minor
servicing. I would expect it to hold up as well as that one at least. This
is the whole point of my post; the problems developing with the 1997-2001
Camrys seem to be at a higher rate than the previous designs. Why is that?
Surely you don't think I am the only one experiencing these problems. You
are a contributor to these newsgroups, I am sure you have seen repeated
problems galore.

Dave M.

2 Mar 2003, 22:34:3302/03/2003
. >It has 70,000 on the odometer.

If Toyota's are anything like my Nissan, 70,000 is not much for miles on
your struts. Mine lasted the life of my ownership of the car - 185,000
miles.

Andrew Becker <abe...@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

MDT Tech®

2 Mar 2003, 23:04:0102/03/2003
badgolferman wrote:

> At 76,000 miles? My 1994 has 145,000 miles on it and it has had minor
> servicing. I would expect it to hold up as well as that one at least. This
> is the whole point of my post; the problems developing with the 1997-2001
> Camrys seem to be at a higher rate than the previous designs. Why is that?
> Surely you don't think I am the only one experiencing these problems. You
> are a contributor to these newsgroups, I am sure you have seen repeated
> problems galore.

I have seen chips, but its been from rock chips. Take a look at the body
panel in question, see if it has the white tag with the vehicles VIN,
this is an indication its original, but it still may have been
refinished, especially if its a 1/4 panel, a front fender is more likely
to be replaced. Suspect refinish first. I have not seen anything out of
the ordinary at all.

Four Weis

3 Mar 2003, 22:15:3603/03/2003
I too would question if the car was repainted, possibly because it was in
an accident. The only time I saw clear coat peel off, was when it was a
repaint job.

Mercury

3 Mar 2003, 22:38:4903/03/2003
Having owned Toyotas in the 70's and 80's, I understnd completely. My 1999 Camry
is way inferior to my previous Toyotas.

Art Begun

4 Mar 2003, 00:36:0604/03/2003

"Mercury" <pulg...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Having owned Toyotas in the 70's and 80's, I understnd completely.
My 1999 Camry
> is way inferior to my previous Toyotas.

My basic belief is that Toyota has kept stretching the body without
re-enforcing it. Meanwhile the American manufacturers have discovered
that strong body design improves handling and eliminates rattles.

The570s

4 Mar 2003, 08:07:3004/03/2003
I agree that Toyota quality is going downhill. I've owned my '89 Camry from the
start, and it lasted 13 years (? mileage, the odometer died, didn't replace). I
replaced the rear struts after ~10 years. I just bought a used 95/120k km
Camry, and the ride sucks big time. I hit bumps like I was carrying a cord of
wood in the trunk. Lousy suspension, and I will tell everyone that listens. The
rest of the car is good so far, so I'll keep it, cause there's no way in hell
I'm going back to American made, they are just out to screw you through parts
engineered to break down.

Ga...@iluvspam.com

4 Mar 2003, 09:25:0504/03/2003
On 04 Mar 2003 13:07:30 GMT, the...@aol.com (The570s) wrote:

>I agree that Toyota quality is going downhill. I've owned my '89 Camry from the
>start, and it lasted 13 years (? mileage, the odometer died, didn't replace). I
>replaced the rear struts after ~10 years.

It sounds like you are comparing Apples and Oranges. The years don't
matter as much as the mileage, which of course you can only
guesstimate for you '89. As well as mileage, how the car was driven is
a big factor in strut life. It's just not a valid comparison.

I have a 99 Camry, 92 Camry, 01 Tundra and had a 93 Corrolla. All of
them are extremely reliable, well built and comfortable.

Philip ?

4 Mar 2003, 11:03:4004/03/2003

> Art

Art, that's a load of Bandini. The crashworthiness of the new cars make it
much more likely you'll walk away from a collision than your old cars and
... the improved level of roll stiffness of a new Corolla over earlier
generations is obvious.

Philip ?

4 Mar 2003, 11:31:4904/03/2003

"The570s" <the...@aol.com> wrote in message

Geez .. is that all you can say bad about your used 1995 Camry? That's
IT!!? Struts are easily fixed (but then you'd lose your only bitching
point).

davidj92

4 Mar 2003, 18:04:2504/03/2003

"Art Begun" <beg...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Not to be argumentative but, if you look at the Insurance Institutes crash
tests http://www.hwysafety.org/default.htm
you will see Toyota is not quite as good after 1996 as it was before. I'm
not sure exactly what changed as I thought it was only cosmetic sheet metal
change in 1997.
However, the Toyota Camry is still better than it's comparable model in GM,
Ford & Chrysler.

--
Hope This Helps,
davidj92

Scott

4 Mar 2003, 18:37:4004/03/2003
as far as insurance goes I traded a 2000 sedan deville in on a 2003
solara my insurance on the caddy was 600 per year with the solara it
was 1100 big difference. But I love the car so I really don't care
about the insuramce difference.

Sam Cheung

4 Mar 2003, 18:39:1404/03/2003
In 70's and 80's, Toyota thrive for improving qualities, now they are
probably too proud or too contended with their quality just like Ford, GM
and Xrysler used to be!
"Mercury" <pulg...@bellsouth.net>
???????:3E641FC9...@bellsouth.net...

Art Begun

4 Mar 2003, 19:41:2304/03/2003
Crashworthiness is not an issue. The passenger compartment cage may
be sturdier but that doesn't mean the rest of the car is.

The Corolla has not been stretched like the Camry (and my Avalon) and
was not the subject of the original post. I have never owned or
driven a Corolla.

"Philip ?" <chip...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Philip®

4 Mar 2003, 19:47:0604/03/2003

> Crashworthiness is not an issue. The passenger compartment cage may
> be sturdier but that doesn't mean the rest of the car is.
>
> The Corolla has not been stretched like the Camry (and my Avalon) and
> was not the subject of the original post. I have never owned or
> driven a Corolla.

Oh SOUR GRAPES. Let me say this: were I to ram my old 1972 Chrysler
Newport into any part of your Chrysler M your 300M would be JUNK.
J.U.N.K. Why? No crumple zones built into those older cars whereas
your 300M is INTENDED to fold up ... absorbing the kenetic energy
imparted to it.

It might be an interesting project for you to compare wheelbases and
weights of pre FWD Corollas and Camrys to current. Do share what you
find. I'm interested. ;^)

MDT Tech®

4 Mar 2003, 23:13:5204/03/2003
Art Begun wrote:

> My basic belief is that Toyota has kept stretching the body without
> re-enforcing it. Meanwhile the American manufacturers have discovered
> that strong body design improves handling and eliminates rattles.

When?

MDT Tech®

4 Mar 2003, 23:15:5804/03/2003
Art Begun wrote:
> Crashworthiness is not an issue. The passenger compartment cage may
> be sturdier but that doesn't mean the rest of the car is.

Its supposed to crumple upon impact, by design. Its a plus, not a
negative Art.

Philip®

5 Mar 2003, 00:04:4505/03/2003

"MDT Tech®" <ssau...@repairman.com> wrote in message
Oh... haven't your heard? The Chysler 300M is a really an Eagle Talon
that somebody at ChryCo put 70psi of air pressure in the passenger
compartment and then renamed it.

Art Begun

5 Mar 2003, 00:30:3805/03/2003
I'm sure you drive a variety of Camry's everyday. Are you going to
tell me that you find the late models as solid overall as an 88? My
father's 88 is as rattle free as new.

Philip ®

5 Mar 2003, 01:05:1305/03/2003
Would you believe Rick?
--

> Philip

Homeland Security without illegal immigration
control is like changing the batteries in your
smoke detector while the house is burning.

"Art Begun" <beg...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

TerryK

5 Mar 2003, 08:27:2605/03/2003
We have two 99 v6 Camry's one with 58,000 kms & the other with 85,000 kms
both without any problems whats so ever........

"badgolferman" <badgol...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

badgolferman

5 Mar 2003, 16:46:1305/03/2003
Maybe I am looking at an issue of the first year of a new design. Usually
there are several problems in the first year. I should have considered that
when looking at this car.

MDT Tech®

5 Mar 2003, 21:02:1105/03/2003
Art Begun wrote:
> I'm sure you drive a variety of Camry's everyday. Are you going to
> tell me that you find the late models as solid overall as an 88? My
> father's 88 is as rattle free as new.

LOL, yes, lots less rattles, but I dont expect you to belive me, I
havent see crooked dashes either.

MDT Tech®

5 Mar 2003, 21:02:4205/03/2003
Philip Ž wrote:
> Would you believe Rick?
> --
>
> > Philip

LOL, heck< I wouldnt what the hell does he know about Toyotas anyway!

Philip ®

5 Mar 2003, 21:41:3705/03/2003

"MDT Tech®" <ssau...@repairman.com> wrote in message
Hey... Art is still trying to figure out which anti-war protest rally
to attend.

Art Begun

5 Mar 2003, 23:32:4305/03/2003
Actually I'm waiting to see how long it takes Bush to figure out
Saddam is bribing North Korea to harrass us.

"Philip ®" <chip...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Art Begun

5 Mar 2003, 23:35:0605/03/2003
Actually my 2001 Avalon reminds me of a brand new Chevy Nova a friend
bought when I worked at Kodak in the late 70's. Loose as over cooked
spaghetti.

"MDT Tech®" <ssau...@repairman.com> wrote in message

Philip ®

6 Mar 2003, 10:01:4106/03/2003

> Actually I'm waiting to see how long it takes Bush to figure out
> Saddam is bribing North Korea to harrass us.

We have people investigating the Art/Chrysler connection for illicit
financial transfers and terrorism.

Art Begun

6 Mar 2003, 12:50:1606/03/2003
No need for war.... I'll crush my Avalon with a bulldozer.

"Philip ®" <chip...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Art Begun

6 Mar 2003, 12:53:2606/03/2003
When was the last time you bought American.

I've got a Chrysler 300M with about 40000 miles. Initially they had
to reengineer parts for the power windows but other than that it has
been pretty much flawless and that is the typical story these days.
Whereas my Avalon is a rattle box with 10000 miles.

<Ga...@ILUVSPAM.com> wrote in message

Daniel M. Dreifus

6 Mar 2003, 20:16:5906/03/2003
> When was the last time you bought American.
>
> I've got a Chrysler 300M with about 40000 miles. Initially they had
> to reengineer parts for the power windows but other than that it has
> been pretty much flawless and that is the typical story these days.
> Whereas my Avalon is a rattle box with 10000 miles.

You know Art, I hope you're right.
I have the older Toyotas which are generally agreed to be excellent
quality ('94 and '77).
Vehicles seem to last me forever, (unless I let children drive them),
regardless of make, but a side benefit of buying the older vehicles is
that their reputation for good or bad is already established.
My point is that I am somewhat saddened by GM's current stock market
difficulties, and the entire auto segment "losing market share to the
Aisian manufacturers" per CNBC yesterday.
So far, it seems Amercian manufacturers had been improving sales with
discounted finance rates, rebates and incentives, whereas their
competition from overseas had been competing on quality and
reliability.
So, I hope you're right, and the balance shifts back to American
manufacturers producing high quality competitive and desirable
offerings and wiining back market share.
So far I haven't seen it.
But it would be nice.

MDT Tech®

6 Mar 2003, 21:23:0806/03/2003
Art Begun wrote:
> Actually I'm waiting to see how long it takes Bush to figure out
> Saddam is bribing North Korea to harrass us.

It wont halp, he is about a week away from getting his hiney kicked.

MDT Tech®

6 Mar 2003, 21:24:0506/03/2003
Art Begun wrote:
> No need for war.... I'll crush my Avalon with a bulldozer.

Send me the AVI, this I'd like to see.

MDT Tech®

6 Mar 2003, 21:53:2706/03/2003
Art Begun wrote:
> When was the last time you bought American.

Art, I've only bought 4 new cars, all Toyotas. ;-D

I have owned plenty of domestics, none came close to my Toyotas. They
were cheaper, but not reliable, which is what I like.

Art Begun

6 Mar 2003, 23:58:4406/03/2003
Check the reliability rating of the PTCruiser. Its right up there
with the best imports. THe new designs are getting better all the
time.... at least from Chrysler. And it is made in Mexico... which
should be scary to American workers.

"MDT Tech®" <ssau...@repairman.com> wrote in message

W.T. MC GLYNN

7 Mar 2003, 12:19:1107/03/2003