DIY - Camry 2005 transmission fluid flush

uet_...@yahoo.com.au

Feb 8, 2008, 1:06:42 AM2/8/08
Hi all,

I want to flush the transmission fluid for my 2005 camry.

Is it possible to do it myself? If so, can someone tell me how OR
point me to some sort of DIY (Do it yourself) manual.....

Thanks
Snow

ransley

Feb 8, 2008, 12:33:13 PM2/8/08

On my old camry the trans has a drain plug, I would be sure to check
the level when hot first then drain and replace the same amount so you
dont overfill it, after so many miles the filter should be changed,
but a simple drain and fill helps alot.

BigJim

Feb 8, 2008, 2:04:57 PM2/8/08
take it to a qualified transmission shop and have it done.

<uet_...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

uet_...@yahoo.com.au

Feb 8, 2008, 7:05:56 PM2/8/08
On Feb 9, 6:04 am, "BigJim" <big...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> take it to a qualified transmission shop and have it done.

The whole point of the question was DIY.

I am sick of being overcharged for mechanical service. I used to pay
about $120 for an oil change - cheap motor oil and an after market
filter. Now I do it myself for $40 with a genuine oil filter and
quality oil.

So, can any one help?

john...@hotmail.com

Feb 8, 2008, 8:38:15 PM2/8/08
Get a Haynes or Chilton repair manual:

http://www.haynes.com/products/sfID1/3/sfID2/5/sfID3/46/productID/296

There should be a hex drain bolt on the pan. Drain and measure the
amount, and then refill with new fluid. That tranny probably takes the
more expensive Toyota Type IV (?) ATF, do check the spec. Don't know
if there is a differential drain plug on yours.

Toyota likes Mobil fluids:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_3309.aspx

uet_...@yahoo.com.au

Feb 9, 2008, 2:18:59 AM2/9/08
On Feb 9, 12:38 pm, johngd...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Get a Haynes or Chilton repair manual:
>
> http://www.haynes.com/products/sfID1/3/sfID2/5/sfID3/46/productID/296
>
> There should be a hex drain bolt on the pan. Drain and measure the
> amount, and then refill with new fluid. That tranny probably takes the
> more expensive Toyota Type IV (?) ATF, do check the spec. Don't know
> if there is a differential drain plug on yours.
>
> Toyota likes Mobil fluids:
>
> http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF...

Just what I was looking for....

Thanks John!

Justa Lurker

Feb 9, 2008, 9:41:53 AM2/9/08
uet_...@yahoo.com.au wrote:
> On Feb 9, 12:38 pm, johngd...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Get a Haynes or Chilton repair manual:
>>
>> http://www.haynes.com/products/sfID1/3/sfID2/5/sfID3/46/productID/296
>>
>> There should be a hex drain bolt on the pan. Drain and measure the
>> amount, and then refill with new fluid. That tranny probably takes the
>> more expensive Toyota Type IV (?) ATF, do check the spec. Don't know
>> if there is a differential drain plug on yours.
>>
>> Toyota likes Mobil fluids:
>>
>> http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF...
>>

> Just what I was looking for....
>
> Thanks John!

Not to be argumentative, but the original poster was looking for a
"flush". Won't the procedure you described merely change a couple
quarts of the fluid leaving the remainder of the system untouched ?
Would doing what you suggest, driving a few hundred miles, and repeating
it multiple times be equivalent to a flush ? Just wondering....thanks !

BigJim

Feb 9, 2008, 3:00:20 PM2/9/08
that is why it costs over a 100 dollars to have it done at a reputable
shop/dealer.
They do a total flush and it takes a lot more fluid. I just had my chevy
truck done
and it took 17 quarts.
"Justa Lurker" <Justa...@att.net> wrote in message

john...@hotmail.com

Feb 11, 2008, 11:43:10 PM2/11/08
You're right about "flush" and the "drain/refill" technicality. When
people asked about DIY, drain bolt, repair manual I think of the
standard drain/refill. Also I personally don't believe in the flush
machines. I think they are capable of doing more harm to an otherwise
good tranny.

In fact, Honda's "ATF flush" is three drains and refills with a short
drive in between. They do not spec the ATF flush machine even to clear
the Dexron fluids drivers added in a jam.

That said, for these tranys it's best to drop the pan and change out
the strainer. There is no way to clean the strainer in it's casing
with compressed air, as fluid takes the path of least resistance. I
find 15,000 miles works for me with the older A-series (descendents of
Borg Warner copies). Just make sure cleanliness is top priority
working on trannys.